Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-01-2024, 04:47 PM   #1
cm29579

Default Preparing to farewell the AUII after 16 years ...

Looking back today on FF to my first rust post, well it was 2016;https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11449027

Flash forward 7-8 years, and living even closer to the beach than previous, and here we are, a car with some areas so riddled with rust, its amazing I managed to get through rego. Crafty placement of items in the boot, some white cloth tape and the same mechanic since I bought it certainly bought me some time.

Ironically, its the underbody rust that has been the sticking point the past 3 years in getting it through, each time told it was the last time. With the rego ending in August this year, I know its time to say goodbye.

'Its a car', i'm told. Well, it has been a whole lot more than that to me. A trusty friend, a road trip warrior, my ever constant from age 28 through 44. Has seen off a relationship, job changes, living changes, 5 different suburbs, gone to Qld more times than I care to remember, and Victoria once.

You could look at the photos and say I neglected it, but I didn't, I just was rational in what I was willing to spend on a car that only set me back $9,100 in 2007. As the years rolled on, the washes became a little less, and the amount of times even driven reduced. It was just a week or two back when I had to exchange batteries for the 3rd time in less than a year due to lack of use that I suddenly realised I was in the final throws. The very sad final throws.

102,000km when I bought it, currently at 322,xxx. Still has never had a $500 issue - just your standard Au, hey?

It still drives beautifully, which is the sad thing. I absolutely could have done more research when the boot struts went in 2016 and drilled some holes which probably would have saved the rusty mess I have on the left side - the right is 100% rust free, so its the design issue. The chassis rail could be fixed if that's all there was to it. But the oil leaks are prevalent, have been for many years now. The auto, the rear main, the rocker cover gasket.

I shall seek out some fun and final adventures with this trusty pal in 2024, and prepare for what the heck to do once the rego expires. I suspect I will garage it for a long while before scrapping it for the many parts that are still perfect and desirable. Absolutely will have some trinkets for the living room, perhaps even the whole bloody front bumper assembly!

The exterior photo is from 2023, so it still looks the goods on the outside, despite the ocean hammering it's copped for 15 of the 16 years I have owned it.

Last edited by cm29579; 14-01-2024 at 05:07 PM.
cm29579 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2024, 06:23 PM   #2
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Preparing to farewell the AUII after 16 years ...

Are you insane?

Take a Bex and have a lie down
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #3
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Wow, she's crunchy for sure, sorry to see

Shame that Ford didn't get the corrosion protection right on these. I have a 20yo beater Subaru that spent most of it's like beachfront and has no real rust. The underbody paint and sealing on my AU is almost non-existent compared to the Subie.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 08:39 AM   #4
cm29579

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Wow, she's crunchy for sure, sorry to see

Shame that Ford didn't get the corrosion protection right on these. I have a 20yo beater Subaru that spent most of it's like beachfront and has no real rust. The underbody paint and sealing on my AU is almost non-existent compared to the Subie.
The funny thing is mine doesn't have the boot rust next to / under the number plate like 90% have - probably as it was washed and polished so often. The boot used to leak after heavy rain, and that certainly contributed.

When I think of trying to fix it, that rear rust just seems a bridge too far; it goes well in behind the quarter panel. Access would almost require removal of the quarter panel, the LPG tank, the rear window - the cost would be insane.

On a positive note, I see on Gumtree there are a ton of AU XR's and they are back to normal prices. I would be very surprised if I don't grab one and transfer most of the interior across, as mine is mint.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 11:01 AM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Never an easy decision, what will be the replacement?
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
cm29579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Never an easy decision, what will be the replacement?
I've had a 2012 G6E for 5.5 years, but have never liked it. Use it for work and it does huge km's, already over 400,000. Will continue to use it for work.

The AU has only done 1,600 since rego in August, so it may be until its almost at rego time before I look to actually buy another. If its a Falcon, its got to be an AU for me. Have owned multiple ED's, an EF, three AU XR's, 2 FG Mk II's, and the AU is by a long way the one I enjoy driving the most. Engine / transmission is so smooth, steering nice and light, and you simply cannot beat the charcoal interior.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 09:13 PM   #7
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I've seen XY GTs with worse rust be repaired.

I think that I have seen this car in the flesh parked near the beach a number of times, not recently though. It is such a good looking car, so it is big shame about the rust.

Are you very mechanically minded? Maybe by another XR6 that is not as tidy but rust free and make one good car out of two?
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 10:17 PM   #8
cm29579

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I've seen XY GTs with worse rust be repaired.

I think that I have seen this car in the flesh parked near the beach a number of times, not recently though. It is such a good looking car, so it is big shame about the rust.

Are you very mechanically minded? Maybe by another XR6 that is not as tidy but rust free and make one good car out of two?
If the beach was Shelly Beach (CC), then probably me, only one its ever been parked at the past few years.

I have included a photo album link with more extensive photos of the boot rust, you can see the rear parcel shelf firewall blanket, such is the amount of fresh air there. The right side is fine, very slight start of something at worst. Short of buying another one to weld in the things required, I just can't see how all that can be fixed for any sort of reasonable figure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Aymxd9sTaZrSfYuj7
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2024, 10:58 PM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm29579 View Post
If the beach was Shelly Beach (CC), then probably me, only one its ever been parked at the past few years.

I have included a photo album link with more extensive photos of the boot rust, you can see the rear parcel shelf firewall blanket, such is the amount of fresh air there. The right side is fine, very slight start of something at worst. Short of buying another one to weld in the things required, I just can't see how all that can be fixed for any sort of reasonable figure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Aymxd9sTaZrSfYuj7
There must be a twin to yours locally to where I live. The few times that I have seen it, it was parked near a beach.

I was thinking, buy another XR6 that is not as tidy as yours but rust free, then swap all of your good stuff off the rusty one onto the non-rusty one.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2024, 11:10 PM   #10
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Yeah that may be too far gone for an AU...

My SII XR8 has little to no rust but then she's parked inside my garage about 90km from the nearest salt water.

What I do need are the front bar, preferably in Liquid Silver, and a new egg/HVAC controls as mine look...moth-eaten.

Apart from that drives like a new car...new suspension, engine mount, gearbox mount and assorted rubber bits does that though

...oh and the parts for a manual conversion would be nice
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2024, 11:59 PM   #11
cm29579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Yeah that may be too far gone for an AU...

My SII XR8 has little to no rust but then she's parked inside my garage about 90km from the nearest salt water.

What I do need are the front bar, preferably in Liquid Silver, and a new egg/HVAC controls as mine look...moth-eaten.

Apart from that drives like a new car...new suspension, engine mount, gearbox mount and assorted rubber bits does that though

...oh and the parts for a manual conversion would be nice
Yeah mine used to sound like a rattling mess for the first 10 years, then a simple d-link bush was replaced without me even asking as it was so stuffed, and that fixed all the front end rattles. Diff bushes are still 100% (original), can back off or re-engage harshly and there is no thud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2
There must be a twin to yours locally to where I live. The few times that I have seen it, it was parked near a beach.

I was thinking, buy another XR6 that is not as tidy as yours but rust free, then swap all of your good stuff off the rusty one onto the non-rusty one.
There's an ST XR6 i'm going to look at in the next week, Blueprint. I had that colour XR8 AUIII for a few years, and whilst I never really loved the way it drove, it looked spectacular.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2024, 09:41 AM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kylie Franks
·
AU XR6 manual Tickford ute, in good condition with only 190,000ks, HP engine & 5 speed, no issues or leaks, tidy inside & out, tinted windows, tarp, presents well for a 23 year old ute, nice venom red colour, black leather trim, tickford wheels near new tyres & fresh rego, located Pt Lincoln $8,500

not mine still havent seen it but can pop pics up if interested