Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default BANG FOR YOUR BUCK - Motor Mag

Has anyone read the new Motor Mag? How did the focus Zetec go?! Did it beat the Barina SRi and Swift in its class (Sub $30K)??? Also, how did it go overall?!

PS... i get mine free next week, otherwise i would buy it now!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
lincoln
Blinded

barina didn't turn up... probably because holden is running them out.

It beat the Swift, which was quite a feat considering the price differential and the way BFYB is calculated.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, and on the track, on a particular corner they measure max speed... the focus got 106kph, and beat the GT / F6 & the Xr8!!!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Yes, and on the track, on a particular corner they measure max speed... the focus got 106kph, and beat the GT / F6 & the Xr8!!!
UH OH !!!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Ha ha now let's just leave it at that, we don't want to get into a bashing of FPV and some idiot claiming they're better, those poor FPV are carrying a lot of extra weight. Good to see the new Focus doing so well though, it's first award, looking good! I'm hoping it's eligible for Wheels Car of the Year awards, might do pretty well, might even have a chance of winning, Golf came out last year so it's not eligible, Astra is a bucket of pus and there are probably a handful of other good cars out there that'll be in the running so it will be interrsting to see how the Focus stacks up. Wouldn't 3 out of 4 years be nice!!!!!
Old 13-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
lincoln
Blinded

I doubt Focus would've won if the Barina SRI was there. Just the way the index works, I'm afraid.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Ha ha now let's just leave it at that, we don't want to get into a bashing of FPV and some idiot claiming they're better, those poor FPV are carrying a lot of extra weight.
Certainly not taking the **** out of an FPV at all.
Its just very interesting to see the Focii getting good cornering grip On standard shoddy tyres......!!!!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Wow, better cornering speed than an FPV. Thats almost sig material "quickest cornering unopened LS Focus on Factory Tyres in Australia". :

When do we see an FPV Focus anyway?
Old 13-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
WASP
Whipple Induced

Great my wifes Focus Zetec is going to out pass me through corners in the GT. I'll never live that down :(
Old 13-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Great my wifes Focus Zetec is going to out pass me through corners in the GT. I'll never live that down :(
LOL now THAT'S funny!!
Old 14-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Police chase with cops> Head for the corners!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 16-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Police chase with cops> Head for the corners!
Cops shouldnt use SS and XR8s in city areas, whats the point? they are bigger heavier and slower off the line! tell them to buy WRXs and EVOs if they want to chase down criminals... or a Focus ST!
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #13
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
Cops shouldnt use SS and XR8s in city areas, whats the point? they are bigger heavier and slower off the line! tell them to buy WRXs and EVOs if they want to chase down criminals... or a Focus ST!
well that would make sense but remember Governments are prone to wasting money and blowing it on inappropriate items....
Old 16-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They tried in Sydney... WRX etc. They had issues with the speedo calibration and at the end of the day, they pay bugger all for their XR's anyway so it ends up cheaper. They don't chase crims anymore generally so it wouldn't matter if they all had 911 GT3's. When they do, it's catching up on highways and there ain't much better than a big 8 for highway patrol.
Old 16-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OKKKKKKKKK... back on topic.... i couldnt help but realise lap times:

The Focus Zetec got 1:18.6
The Mazda SP23 last year got 1:16.06 ... This is where the powerful engine comes to play
Also, the Barina SRI last year (which was supposed to be there this year) got 1:18.22 meaning it would most likely have won the BFYB in the Sub $30K category.

What i also found interesting was that last year the Fiesta Zetec got 1:20.25 ... not too far behind the Ford Focus Zetec! (1.45 seconds)