Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
QUIKXR
Starter Motor

Arrow 3"exhaust amd extractors

Hi guys im thiinking about putting a 3" exhaust system and performance extractors on my au2xr8.
has anyone heard another one and tell me if it sounds good and what peformance increases should i expect??

QUIKXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Stiddy has 3 inch exhaust only in his xr6 au hp.That car flies man. He does not have extractors or cam.I would say that car is equal in speed as a full dev 3 hl..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Bangers

Yeh, get a 3" cat back, then it'll be as fast as dev3 setups...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Slightly off (the main) topic :

Is a 3" exhaust on a 6 cylinder effective or do you get probs with lack of back pressure(or whatever happens when your exhaust is too big).

I'll def need a bigger exhaust for when I whack the turbo on so if a 3" is ok for a 6, I'll prob consider changing.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6

Is a 3" exhaust on a 6 cylinder effective or do you get probs with lack of back pressure(or whatever happens when your exhaust is too big).

I'll def need a bigger exhaust for when I whack the turbo on so if a 3" is ok for a 6, I'll prob consider changing.
3" is wayy to big for a NA 6. Turbo, yes it's good, but not NA. For an 8 (original poster) it would be better to get a dual 2.5" out.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have single 3" with 4into1 headers on my AU1 XR8. I trade off a bit of low down torque for great mid to high range power/torque.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
Yeh, get a 3" cat back, then it'll be as fast as dev3 setups...
Stiddys is...he rocks and his car rocks...Manual dev 3hls crack 14.9 on the 1/4 in manual form.Stiddy has done a flat 15..I believe he will run into the 14 second bracket soon.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 29-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKXR
Hi guys im thiinking about putting a 3" exhaust system and performance extractors on my au2xr8.
has anyone heard another one and tell me if it sounds good and what peformance increases should i expect??
deffinately worth doing, should see a little increase in power and the sound should be much more prominant.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6

you'll generally loose some low down torque, Rmyers had a 3" exhaust on his EA for a couple of weeks before the car had the supercharger bolted on and it stll went pretty good.
peak power may improve slightly.
i'd just get the 3" exhaust a few weeks before the turbo.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
i'd just get the 3" exhaust a few weeks before the turbo.
Cool. It's not like its a major cost item to purchase.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #11
stiddy
Banned

Thanks stav, your a top bloke man..

Why are people saying 3in is too big on an N/A 6 ?? its not.. ive proven its not.. my car is actually faster, the only thing done to my car is a high flow 3in cat, mandrel bent 3in exhaust with a small rear muffler.. and a 3in mandrel intake i fabbed up myself.. and yes its loud and sounds like a drag boat or something..

Admittedly it has lost a 'little' down low but picked up a fair bit uptop, and being a 5spd, its not an issue for me.. 4000rpm launches at the strip are my friend..

i pulled a 15.009 with 2x15in subs in a massive box in my boot, spare wheel, amps and everything else, straight off the street and onto the track..
and yes i know gtech isnt everyones mate, but with my car empty eg subs out spare out etc etc its run 1x 14.8, 3x 14.9's and 1x 15.0 and since then i havnet been back to the strip..

Banger unless you've got a N/A 6 with a 3in system.. dont preach what you dont know.. EEVERYONE says 3in system is too big for a n/a 6.. its not the case and most people saying this havent ever tried it..
and as stav and many others have seen, my car goes a DAMN lot harder then alot of stockish 6's.. im seriously worried about doing any mods to it in the future apart from headers and a chip because im scared it will go slower..

rant on/rant off.. just sick of the repetitive bulldung poeple say on these forums sometimes..

anyhow a single 3 would be fine on an 8, twin 2.5 would be better i would think..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

Stids, what did your exhaust set you back?
Old 30-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
stiddy
Banned

$580 for a cat back mandrel bent system, i supplied the 3in cat though.. and they added it in for no extra charge..
Old 30-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
reece1
reece1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Thanks stav, your a top bloke man..

Why are people saying 3in is too big on an N/A 6 ?? its not.. ive proven its not.. my car is actually faster, the only thing done to my car is a high flow 3in cat, mandrel bent 3in exhaust with a small rear muffler.. and a 3in mandrel intake i fabbed up myself.. and yes its loud and sounds like a drag boat or something..

Admittedly it has lost a 'little' down low but picked up a fair bit uptop, and being a 5spd, its not an issue for me.. 4000rpm launches at the strip are my friend..

i pulled a 15.009 with 2x15in subs in a massive box in my boot, spare wheel, amps and everything else, straight off the street and onto the track..
and yes i know gtech isnt everyones mate, but with my car empty eg subs out spare out etc etc its run 1x 14.8, 3x 14.9's and 1x 15.0 and since then i havnet been back to the strip..

Banger unless you've got a N/A 6 with a 3in system.. dont preach what you dont know.. EEVERYONE says 3in system is too big for a n/a 6.. its not the case and most people saying this havent ever tried it..
and as stav and many others have seen, my car goes a DAMN lot harder then alot of stockish 6's.. im seriously worried about doing any mods to it in the future apart from headers and a chip because im scared it will go slower..

rant on/rant off.. just sick of the repetitive bulldung poeple say on these forums sometimes..

anyhow a single 3 would be fine on an 8, twin 2.5 would be better i would think..
did the subs really help that much i should get a set for mine!lol
jokes aside have you got any pics/info on your inlet/exhaust custom job. how did you go about it. email me if you want i would like to pick your brain on this as i am doing some extractors at the moment
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I prefer twin systems on V8's, and on a 5L twin 2 1/4" is ideal.

Something to consider is not so much the pipe diameter, rather the muffler choice, as it's not the pipe which is the biggest restriction, it's the mufflers.

Dual 2 1/4" mufflers will always outflow a single 3" muffler, and you will have the benefits of small(ish) pipes for good air speed, etc.

Rick.
Old 30-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #16
stiddy
Banned

reece1, pm sent...
Old 30-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Sox I would not mind meeting you at my private test track some time..with the dev5..

Old 30-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #18
xr8ute
Back on the road

Back onto V8's for a second......

I've just fitted Pacemaker 4-1's (PH4006), 2.5" cats, and Lukey 3" single catback to my AU XR8. Only other significant mod being the Crane 2030 cam.

It feels noticably doughier at part throttle compared with the stock headers/cats w/3" catback.

The sound is good enough to pitch a tent in your pants every time you nail the throttle...lol

IMO, it is too big for my mild n/a setup. If I wasn't fitting the blower soon, I would have gone for Hurricane tri-y's with their small 1.5" primaries and dual 2.25" from cats back.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Sox I would not mind meeting you at my private test track some time..with the dev5..
I don't own a DEV5 anymore.

Rick.