Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
WannabeXP

Cool 3 inch intake piping

Hey Everyone
So i got a 3 inch alloy intercooler pipe cheap, So im going to put it between the airbox and the throttle body. Did a mock fit but im not sure how i am going to seal it in?
Has anyone thought up a brilliant contraption to hold it in?
Didnt notice how restrictive the adapter really was on the air box! Its like half the size of the new pipe!!!
Cheers Jason

05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
WannabeXP

Also are the fan belt covers people have(see picture) standard on an EF?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...Engine_Bay.jpg
Im trying to hunt one down but dont know what theyre off
Apologies for the double post
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion

Last edited by WannabeXP; 16-09-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 16-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fan belt covers are only found on AU series 1 or ealier such as the e series as after series 1 they went tight and made a cheaper plastic surround for just the power steering pump. Try your local wreckers i would say. I swapped mine with sisters Series 1 forte and she still hasn't realised yet

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
WannabeXP

Haha, thats the way
if only my sister had an AU
*Scratches chin
Anybody know about the intake piping??
Cheers Jason
Old 16-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what have read seen and looked at i would say a silicone joiner would be your best bet. That with a couple of hose clamps should do the job pretty well.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Anyone know what the benefit of the double intake system attached to the throttle body in that picture is?
Teknoslasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuff all really. alot of people get rid of it

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE

Is this what you mean??

I have this

3" pipe from Air box

I had 3 goes, 1 PVC, 2 Felx pipe and 3 (and final 3" exhaust pipe painted matt black.

I used a large ring clamp to hold it down

3. 3" exhaust pipe

UK[/QUOTE]
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make a bigger hole in the airbox and use sickaflex (the rubber they use to seal roof penetrations)
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Just use silicone joiners and hose clamps.
Old 16-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
WannabeXP

Yeah thats what i mean UK
But i want to take off the restrictive adapter thingo that is bolted to the airbox,
My Pipe fits nicely but i thought silicon or sickflex wouldnt hold properly. Ie when taking off the airbox lid?
From your picture UK i just have a 3inch piece of alluminium from the flex joint to the airbox.
I guess ill have a go with some silicon to seal and hold it in and see what the outcome is!
Cheers for the help guys!
Old 16-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeXP
Yeah thats what i mean UK
But i want to take off the restrictive adapter thingo that is bolted to the airbox,
My Pipe fits nicely but i thought silicon or sickflex wouldnt hold properly. Ie when taking off the airbox lid?
From your picture UK i just have a 3inch piece of alluminium from the flex joint to the airbox.
I guess ill have a go with some silicon to seal and hold it in and see what the outcome is!
Cheers for the help guys!
If you look closely at the box you can see the PVC pipe I used as a joiner. It very tight and I didn't use any glue. When I take off the lid, I leave the pipe in and disconnect it from the flexable link. Its a bit fiddly but I don't take the lid of much
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 16-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No if you let the silicone cure over 24 hours it won't break from that
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 16-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
WannabeXP

Sweet! Thanks for your help!
Mondays the day! Dont need my car for a while then
Props to you guys!!
Old 16-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

One more thing. I had already bought a K&N filter (flat). If you have a standard paper filter I would recomend you get a hi flow pod. It will impact on how you connect the 3 inch pipe. There are several workshops builds to show how it can be done.
UK
Old 16-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #16
WannabeXP

Ah yeah i will look into that!!!
Thanks for the sweet advice UK
Old 17-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
Jimmyd
Banned

Did the Ghia last weekend - I wanted to see if it really made a difference. Being a cheap, tight, stingy bugga and not a big fan of Pod filters I figured I could do it really cheap while not having if flopping around under the bonnet - heres how I did it -

Remove airbox lid and solid pipe from flexi pipe.

Remove rubber adaptor from the air box lid, screw down to a piece of timber, run a 3" (75mm) hole saw through it. clean up saw cut and remount onto airbox lid.

Get a 45 degree alloy 3" pipe - cut exactly half way around the bend. Insert into adaptor with a slight upward angle.

Look down the solid pipe form the flexi pipe end - you will see a definate point where the taper from 55mm to 80mm ends - cut off the pipe at this point and throw away the small end (the bit that used to plug into the airbox). smooth out the seam ridges on the outside of the intake pipe (you will see what I mean) to make sure the silicone pipe can seal.

Stretch some 3" (75mm) silicone pipe over the outside of the rigid pipe - its tight but it can be done. Slip other end over the alloy pipe in the airbox, clip airbox lid back on, slip flexi hose back on, bolt down intake pipe to original mount over left hand shockie - pivot alloy pipe around until you get good smooth angles when mounted, tighten clamps.

All done using 1 45 degree pipe, a 75mm clamp and some silicone hose (don't need to use that much, just what I could scrounge and havn't gotten around to trimming down yet...

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #18
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill show you mine, cost me nothing, just 2 small lengths of stainless 3 inch, and 2 of thoses standerd flexable pipes,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 17-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #19
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those flex pipes are bad
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 17-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

With this mod, you might gain some induction noise, but you will lose a bit of low down torque but pick up power higher in the rev range. A few years ago Casper probably did the biggest comparison in conjunction with G&D on a dyno, and found that the G&D style box (now made by many diffferent manufacturers), with Pod filter and stand intake piping gave the best overall results. Just saying......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
With this mod, you might gain some induction noise, but you will lose a bit of low down torque but pick up power higher in the rev range. A few years ago Casper probably did the biggest comparison in conjunction with G&D on a dyno, and found that the G&D style box (now made by many diffferent manufacturers), with Pod filter and stand intake piping gave the best overall results. Just saying......
Yep, agree 100% - basic physics that one.

The partial (ie still using flat panel filter) conversion I have done has not increased the induction noise, lets the VCT spin a little more freely and holds hwy speeds with marginally less throttle angle with no apreciable reduction in lower range torque (by my highly scientific bumometer anyway) - as to fuel economy it will take a few weeks to guage that. But keep in mind all this mod did was remove the 55mm restrictor pipe while keeping the rest of the induction system standard apart from a Tickford cold air induction pipe.

Make sure you reset the ECU when/if you make any mods - get full benefit from the mod

Cheers

James
Old 17-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

works well enough for me,

Old 17-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
WannabeXP

Yeah i realise that its going to make not a great deal of difference.
For the ten bucks ive spent im not really complaining.
G&D are what $300? SS Inductions are about the same.
I'm just keeping it cheap. And yeah im not too concerned about Noises.
Next thing is a XR6T Snorkel, hopefully for christmas
Thanks for your advice guys
Cheers Jason
Old 17-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Funny tou should say that because my car was one of the g and d test cars along with caspers au and i found it verry restictive with standed pipeing

Thats my 2 bob :d
Old 18-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

A few years ago on th dyno I got 141rwkws. Then on the second run we removed all piping and the gain was phenomenal...wait for it 1 rwkw lolol yes 142 rwkws .

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

Stav, when I got my custom tune done, the difference between all piping and no piping was 2hp, lol so very close.
Old 18-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #27
Jimmyd
Banned

Agreed.
From my expereinces so far as an outright HP gain it is next to useless - limitations imposed by the size of the throttle body. But as for drivability thats another matter - engine just feels much happier not sucking through a straw.....

Cheers

James
Old 21-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not just bypass most of the piping?

I have a 3" stainless length sitting around, worth giving a go?

AZZA