Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
GTP 330KW
Blueprint GTP

Default Pulled over by Highway Patrol

Can any Victorian members tell me if I can expect a fine in the mail. Driving home to Mt. Gambier, SA on Wednesday night I was pulled over for speeding ten K's out of Glenthompson. After a licence check and breatho he sent me on my way without giving me any paperwork. I should probably add that I was a fair way over the speed limit. :togo:

2003 Blueprint BA GTP. Full Herrod stainless quad exhaust, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod lowered suspension, Unichip, Big Mouth Cold Air Induction, BMC air filter, Tripod X Force guages, leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, Satellite navigation and reversing sensors.
GTP 330KW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 330KW
Can any Victorian members tell me if I can expect a fine in the mail. Driving home to Mt. Gambier, SA on Wednesday night I was pulled over for speeding ten K's out of Glenthompson. After a licence check and breatho he sent me on my way without giving me any paperwork. I should probably add that I was a fair way over the speed limit. :togo:
Did he ask you if you had a reason that you were speeding?
How much over? You may get breached and have to appear in court or he may have run out of TONs and you were lucky.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Huh ?
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The first bolded bit states where he was pulled over, the second bit is him admitting he was a fair way over the speed limit.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
GTP 330KW
Blueprint GTP

Unhappy

He did ask me why I was speeding. I was clocked at 125 in a 100 zone. I told him that we were on our way home from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute where we had just received some devastating news regarding our 19 year old son and were just keen to get home to our family and friends. I admit that there should be no excuse for speeding but under the circumstances I really didn't care.
2003 Blueprint BA GTP. Full Herrod stainless quad exhaust, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod lowered suspension, Unichip, Big Mouth Cold Air Induction, BMC air filter, Tripod X Force guages, leather seats, premium sound, sunroof, Satellite navigation and reversing sensors.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
The first bolded bit states where he was pulled over, the second bit is him admitting he was a fair way over the speed limit.
Ah k, i get it now. In regards to being 25km/h over, we all say oh there's no excuse for speeding etc etc but everyone does it. Did he say he was actually giving you a fine?

And, sorry to hear that
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He did ask me why I was speeding. I was clocked at 125 in a 100 zone. I told him that we were on our way home from the Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute where we had just received some devastating news regarding our 19 year old son and were just keen to get home to our family and friends. I admit that there should be no excuse for speeding but under the circumstances I really didn't care.
At only 25km/h over I suspect he has let you go, breaches are usually only issued over 45km/h (well that is up here but they are all pretty much the same now). I am also sorry to hear about your son, cancer is never fair but in a 19 year old it is an absolute tragedy.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I reckon you could safely call that just a kick in the butt especially with the circumstances. Id be surprised if you get a ticket.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
GTP 330KW
Blueprint GTP

Thanks everyone. Like I said, there is no excuse, but perhaps he had a heart. Our future trips will be at the speed limit.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Like I said, there is no excuse, but perhaps he had a heart. Our future trips will be at the speed limit.
Sometimes there is an excuse and a reason, something this cop obviously understands. Sorry to hear about the bad news.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sorry top hear of your sad news mate, and id understand that the number on the speedo to was irrelevent at the time. How all goes well
Old 21-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Like I said, there is no excuse, but perhaps he had a heart.....
Let's hope so GTP 330KW. Sorry to hear you received devastating news about your son, let's hope also there may some future good news regarding him.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

If a PIN is not issued on the spot and they intend to issue one usually you are told at the time that a fine will be sent in the mail. As someone stated you will normally be asked your reason etc and in this conversation should be able to determine the outcome.
Old 21-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Can anyone inform me what TONs and PIN stands for ? been wanting to get an answer for a while
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
If a PIN is not issued on the spot and they intend to issue one usually you are told at the time that a fine will be sent in the mail. As someone stated you will normally be asked your reason etc and in this conversation should be able to determine the outcome.
Not for certain, I have been in a similar situation except I was told I MAY OR MAY NOT receive an infringement notice in the mail. At the time I felt confident I would get off based on the officers tone and body language, two days later the letter arrived.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Not for certain, I have been in a similar situation except I was told I MAY OR MAY NOT receive an infringement notice in the mail. At the time I felt confident I would get off based on the officers tone and body language, two days later the letter arrived.
I think Redrum might know, guess what he is.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
At only 25km/h over I suspect he has let you go, breaches are usually only issued over 45km/h (well that is up here but they are all pretty much the same now).
OH? when did this unusual fit of leniency start?....Especially in QLD.

45k's over here will get you a $1,600 fine and 6 points !
Old 21-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
colac471
Waiting for an upgrade

In Victoria 25 km's over is an immediate loss of license and court appearance.
1978 F100 Custom, 302c
colac471 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got done for11k over so don't think 45 is real.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #20
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I think you might have have struck it lucky, GTP 330KW. If he was going to issue a TON (Traffic Offence Notice) or PIN (maybe Penalty Infringement Notice?) he would have done it at the time, maybe he did take into consideration the news you had received.... hope all goes well for you with your son.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #21
73gscoupe

You will almost certainly get a fine I would think. the last two times i have been pulled over it has been the scenario you described. it is unusual for them to issue any paperwork on the spot, one time the cop simply wrote down my details on a notepad, fine has come a week or two later. My opinion is that they do it to avoid confrontation.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #22
wet ones

Here in NSW all traffic infringement notices (TIN) have to issued within 7 days, unless there is further investigation and even then it is only 14 days. After that it is a court attendance.

Highway tend to issue TINs on the spot rather than have to catch up on them later in the shift.

Sorry to hear of you sons bad news, hope all works out for him.
wet ones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #23
WASP
Whipple Induced

Unfortunately I have had the experience of being pulled over a few times now and I think you will find that if he was going to issue you with a fine or penality you would have been given paperwork. I would say your circumstances struck a chord with this Police officer. On that note I think it would be safe to say that on behalf of everyone here on this forum we all feel for your situtation with your boy and wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

Colville
Old 22-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #24
GTP 330KW
Blueprint GTP

Thanks for your concern everyone. It's not the sort of thing you would wish on your worst enemy. By the way colac471, he told me that in Victoria, 127 is an instant loss of licence.
Old 22-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thanks for your concern everyone. It's not the sort of thing you would wish on your worst enemy. By the way colac471, he told me that in Victoria, 127 is an instant loss of licence.
Now I know that isn't right. It's 30 over in a 100 zone, 25 over is in under 100 zones.
Old 22-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #26
steven proctor
Starter Motor

sorry about your son , about a year ago our son was diagnosed with type one diabetes, anyway we were coming home from the hospital when i was on the mobile phone when the highway patrol pulls me over, & gives me a talking to about what i did wrong, after i told him about my 5 year old son he gave me a warning & let me off, so mate you might get let off some cops do have a heart the one which pulled me over did . i drive a black BA XR8 manual , gold stripes, sports exhaust.
steven proctor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #27
GTP 330KW
Blueprint GTP

Steven Proctor, sounds like you have a nice car there. Yes, obviously they do have a heart. I wish you and your son all the best for the future.
Old 22-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I think Redrum might know, guess what he is.
Yes I do know, but how many people have got off or never received a fine when they were told that they would receive one in the mail? I have heard many stories. What one officer says how things work isn't to say how they all operate, hence why I stated it's not certain in the context of this thread.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
OH? when did this unusual fit of leniency start?....Especially in QLD.

45k's over here will get you a $1,600 fine and 6 points !
Yep thats true i copped that, 114 in 60 zone $1515 fine and 6 months (NSW). Before anyone flames me IT WAS STUPID and i copped it on the chin, afew years ago now and not another one yet.
Old 22-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

From my experience i've always got a fine handed to me straight away, except for once when the officer was in a hurry to catch another car he had been looking for which drove past at the time. He said I would get it in the mail and it came a week or so later.

I think you might be lucky.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post