Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Alcoholic Cakes

Hey guys, this might sound stupid but I was wondering can you drive when you've had one of those cakes with alcohol in them. I'm a P-plater and was wondering when you've eaten one would it come up on the breath test?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The alcohol 'should' have been evaporated during the cooking ......... although I wouldnt trust that theroy if your on 'P' plates as it could have been added after cooking ........
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
snortycorty

My mother (who likes to drink a bit too much) made me a birthday cake this year. It was a chocolate ripple cake, but she completly doused the damn thing with some sort of sickly sweet wine stuff, i cant remember what is was called. She hadnt cooked the alcohol so i just ate the cream off the top and when the old girl wasnt looking i palmed it off to my partner! We were both driving but he's on full licence. I didnt want to take the chance!
Also with that trifle, if its got alcohol in it i wont eat it if I'm driving. Some of those cakes can be potent! If your not sure dont take the chance is what i reckon
A very interesting question though!
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

How much alcohol is the key.

Immediately after eating it, you'll prob register. After 10 mintues, i'd be suprised if the concentration in your blood would be high enough to register.

How many decimal places does a breatho go to these days?

But as always with alcohol and p plates - better safe than sorry!!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the alcohol was added prior to cooking no prob...it burned off and only left flavour...if added after cooking ..you got a problem.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I know that the alcohol burns off if cooking on a stove top but i'm unsure as to whether it does in an oven. As they say "better sfae then sorry", either that or buy a breath tester (a good one) eat the cake then immediately test yourself, probably the best way of knowing for sure.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
bunny
Starter Motor

the alcohol should burn off in the oven... baking a cake... say 180 degrees... cooking on a stove... water boils at 100 degrees... a water alcohol mixture boils to a vapour at somewhere between 80-100 degrees...

so cakes should be fine if the alcohol is added to the batter before baking... i'd be worried about various syrups they put on top... although they would probably be boiled to thicken i would not be surprised if there was a little added after its cooled to strengthen the flavour... so if you're not sure about how it was cooked... leave it alone or take it home with you
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortycorty
My mother (who likes to drink a bit too much) made me a birthday cake this year. It was a chocolate ripple cake, but she completly doused the damn thing with some sort of sickly sweet wine stuff, i cant remember what is was called. She hadnt cooked the alcohol so i just ate the cream off the top and when the old girl wasnt looking i palmed it off to my partner! We were both driving but he's on full licence. I didnt want to take the chance!
Also with that trifle, if its got alcohol in it i wont eat it if I'm driving. Some of those cakes can be potent! If your not sure dont take the chance is what i reckon
A very interesting question though!
Mate my mum makes the same cake. Best cake ever!!!

What they do (well atleast from what I know), is soak the chocolate biscuits in rum/brandy for a while. There is no actual cooking involved, just slap it together with some cream and more chocolate.

No way would you drive on your P's after a few slices of that..LOL

Tastes awesome though. We even had it when we were kids...LOL...a little bit of booze is good for killing germs
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
snortycorty

^^haha yeah it is nice, got a chance to eat some when i didnt have to drive! She just pours the wine stuff over it then puts the cream on top, i could smell it a mile away! mmm would prefer rum than wine... might have to make a trip to the shop hehehe
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
Rob
Living the dream

If you're on your P's, I'd steer clear of it. Bit risky innit...
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=snortycorty]My mother (who likes to drink a bit too much) made me a birthday cake this year. It was a chocolate ripple cake, but she completly doused the damn thing with some sort of sickly sweet wine stuff, i cant remember what is was called.
QUOTE]
Sherry or Brandy?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like the rum balls I get at Chrissy .... damn ... they have been drowned in rum overnight ... I reckon you'd register just sniffing them ... hee hee

Looking forward to them this Chrissy.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cake's some kind of sponge cake and the alcohol is added after (soaked), better to be safe than sorry! I'll be steering clear of those cakes.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I wouldn't risk it.. And alcohol isn't burned off in cooking, it merely evapourates.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Sacher Torte is a German Cake Laced with Cherry Liquer , Pretty Potent if the Frauline is an AlchoholiC

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Funnily enough there was bit on this exact topic tonight on the show what's good for you. They had a cop with a breathalizer test people after they had a three course meal that had all been cooked in different types of alcohol. All but one (there were four people) blew .00 immediately afterwards. One guy blew three times the legal limit but the blew .00 20 minutes later when they perfomed the same test that they would if you were caught driving.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

this post reminded me of trifle....hmmmm....i cant wait till christmas
extra alcomohol added will be mad
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post