Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Question purchasing cars interstate??

I'm purchasing a car from S.A. and i was told by the RAA that i should leave the cars S.A. plates on and once i get the car to qld change the rego then. As far as payment goes once i pay the seller should i have the cars ownership changed to my name while the cars still in S.A.?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

anybody??

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
BlackLS

Can't you get a temporary rego to drive the car to QLD?

Actually yeah just drive it, I read up on it here
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

yes, purchase the car with the sa rego get it to qld, then transfer it when you get it home.

I don't know of differences in stamp duty but if it's more here in SA, then them's the breaks.

Once you get in home, you can send back the SA plates and rego sticker for a refund of the rego left.

I used to do it with a car yard and there's no real hassles.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if you get the car cheaper in SA you will be hit with market value price for stamp duty..
My brother has just bought a car in SA, brought it home on SA plates and got a shock with the costs.
But, in saying that, if he had changed it over in SA, he would have paid Stamp Duty twice apparently (thats coming from the rego mob)
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

you only pay stamp duty on the sale of a vehicle, ie transferring ownership. There may be associated costs with changing the state of rego, but not stamp duty.

might depend on the states
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
vanessa0305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
you only pay stamp duty on the sale of a vehicle, ie transferring ownership. There may be associated costs with changing the state of rego, but not stamp duty.

might depend on the states
In Queensland you pay stamp duty when you rego your car for the first time and when you change the rego over. It is based on what you paid for the car. I just take in the receipt and they work it out from that.
vanessa0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

thanks people, i have it sorted now. The car will be unregistered when it arrives now which will make things easier on both parts. I will just need a permit to drive the car to obtain roadworthy etc.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Happy to hear you ended up with it mate!

It's obviously meant to be- you are the most envied man in the tickford community!

Sorry about the comments with your wheels Nod- wasn't until the next day I remembered your car already had the TS wheels....... what an idiot.

As I said mate- well done- it's meant to be (and better than the alternative hey?)
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
XCGS351

Not sure how it works in Qld but when I purchased my car from NSW and had it delivered to Perth, it is considered as an unregistered car so I had to take it to be inspected and have it relicensed on W.A. rego.
Had to show a copy of receipt, previous owner rego and pay stamp duty as well.
XCGS351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
Happy to hear you ended up with it mate!

It's obviously meant to be- you are the most envied man in the tickford community!

Sorry about the comments with your wheels Nod- wasn't until the next day I remembered your car already had the TS wheels....... what an idiot.

As I said mate- well done- it's meant to be (and better than the alternative hey?)
Thanks Jamie, it is better than the alternative. I will be happy when its parked in my garage in one piece though. :yeees:

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here