Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
aimzes
...fairly odd

Default Kia

i was reading the car section of saturdays paper (carsguide i think) earlier today and read that between 97-02 kia has raplaced something like 3000 motors that have done between 50-60,000kms. the topic had come up because some twit actually bought a kia carnaval and they had a seized engine with only 50thou on the clock.

not sure how other makers look compared to this, thats a lot of seized/blown eniges isnt it?

Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate had the same thing. "extended warranty is your friend" two weeks before it ran out!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Ive got a Kia Pregio van and although they are ИИИИhouse to drive they have pretty good dealer support with a number to call similar to RACV for 24/7 support.

They have a strong stigma of crap quality but i think that and hte warranty is what made the pregios a success. Cant say their small car sales are doing as well though.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

G/F's Kia Rio is a bloody good car.
Engine in it (mazda) is quite good.
Build quality seems fine, much better than i expected. Only flaw would be thin paint in some areas.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Kia is garbage. Built like crap, about as safe as driving something made of paper (surprised they aren't), and has the worst resale value of any car on sale.

2003 Kia Rio, 28,000km, still with factory warranty? $7500 and not selling! $5000-$7000 will buy a 2-3 yr old one with warranty in-tact, and less then 40,000km.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
nick81xd

Stupidly expensive, i priced a 2nd hand motor from the wreckers for a customer(kia carnival) at work and the cheapest i could get was 4200 for the v6 and that was trade price
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

KIA= killed in action.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

We have a new KIA Cerato, and I cant fault the car, its a very nice car, with 4 wheel disc brakes, air bags, electric windows, mirrors, a/c etc is all standard, we opted the ABS and alloys.

The KIA carnivals are the ones that blow engines, the engines are to small for what car is expected to do, a guy i worked with had 2 engines under warranty that I know of.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)

Last edited by EA2BA; 07-03-2006 at 02:42 PM.
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Ringo
I see you....

Kia Pregio is a good thing. Kia know how to build Diesel engines more than anything else.

The Carnivals have a well known engine issues

A bunch had undertensioned cam gear bolts. The cam gear would come off or the bolt would snap from flapping around - The v6 is are not a free spinning motor so you can guess the result. Cracked blocks, busted pistons, If they could Kia would only repair the engine instead of new long motor.... Demand on the short and long motors made it an 8 week wait to get one. Kia did supply hire cars to some but you had to make some noise.

They also are well known for blowing head gaskets due to fault in the gaskets themselves. Some leak internaly, some externaly but all require head off to fix. Of course Kia drivers are not 'car people' typically so a whole heap of them were cooked when the head gaskets went because they didn't see the temp gauge in the red.

Leave the Carnivals alone....a 2nd hand Tarago or Territory is a much better buy.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Kia Pregio is good because its a re-skinned Mercedes-Benz MB van. They share everything, much like the Ford Econovan/Mazda E2000 did. Its engines are Mercedes ones.

If you left Kia on their own to design and make it, they'd ruin it quite quickly.

:
Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
G/F's Kia Rio is a bloody good car.
Engine in it (mazda) is quite good.
Build quality seems fine, much better than i expected. Only flaw would be thin paint in some areas.
Wifes kia rio is a beast she brought it new drives it flat stick (red lines bottem 3 gears , autoshift ) :evil3: :evil3: carn"t kill it yet
but have a feeling when the warrantys gone so will it !
great after sales back up with 3 small claims.
Mite just have to enter her in the chicks bracket at the next drag day :hihi:
mite b good for a 20sec pass ..
lol Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden have probably replaced/rebuilt more LS1s than that from '99->'06. Mine was one of them ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
KIA= killed in action.
That is the only reason why I would never drive or get into a KIA. Well.. that and the poor resale value.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Kia Pregio is a good thing. Kia know how to build Diesel engines more than anything else.
Have you driven a Pregio?!?!?

Most torqueless, rattly engine i have ever had the displeasure of driving.

I mean they make 69kw for gods sake!
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I worked for Kia for a couple of months. They would do 1 - 2 Carnival motors a week. They blow head gaskets because the bores arent part of the block and they move about causing the gaskets to blow.

The Pregios arent too bad but they dont have a brake pedal.

The rest of the range is ok but I still wouldnt buy one.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Have you driven a Pregio?!?!?

Most torqueless, rattly engine i have ever had the displeasure of driving.

I mean they make 69kw for gods sake!
Its a van, it doesn't need to be powerful...

:
Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 AM   #17
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Kia is garbage. Built like crap, about as safe as driving something made of paper (surprised they aren't), and has the worst resale value of any car on sale.

2003 Kia Rio, 28,000km, still with factory warranty? $7500 and not selling! $5000-$7000 will buy a 2-3 yr old one with warranty in-tact, and less then 40,000km.
Have to disagree with you there, we just bought a KIA Sorrento for the miss's and they're a very good car. This one actually use's the Hyundai V6 and drive line. The car overall is put together well, but its no bmw.

Now please take your head out of your fat A*se and start posting something which is a little more intelligent, oh, and if you havnt got anything of interest for example FACTS to offer then shut your hole...... Moron
Old 09-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #18
NZ
~~~

my mates dads carnival (ive affectionally renamed it the Caravan) had a new donk after it dropped a bore liner. So I was told that was what happened. It needed a new bottom end tho.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkXr
Have to disagree with you there, we just bought a KIA Sorrento for the miss's and they're a very good car. This one actually use's the Hyundai V6 and drive line. The car overall is put together well, but its no bmw.

Now please take your head out of your fat A*se and start posting something which is a little more intelligent, oh, and if you havnt got anything of interest for example FACTS to offer then shut your hole...... Moron
Already into the abuse? My oh my.

A little pointer, one should not go accusing others of posting something unintelligible when they themselves have not posted something intelligible.

I could keep going about the nature of your post, it leaves itself wide open for all sorts of attack, but I've had enough of that.

Their cars though, they ARE bad. I've had the pleasure (or displeasure?) of seeing a 2005 Kia Rio in action. Less then 2000km on the clock. The interior trim feels cheap, the doors and metals in general feel very flimsy and thin, the engine sounds very coarse and doesn't sound all that brand new, or happy with being used in any manner. Then there's the styling, which depends entirely on one's aesthetic taste, so I won't go there. I'd hate to see what happens to the thing in 5 years time.

Compared to say, my grandfather's 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.5 (which is also, a very crappy car), it's a total heap.

:
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Kia's have improved, but they're merely making up ground on the opposition. Unfortunately, my family have been suckered in by the "value" of the new Kias and Hyundais. Dad got a Cerato, Mum got an Elantra, 1 sister got an Accent and another got the new Rio. That leaves me with a Ford and the other sister with a mid 90's Mazda 323.
I'd rather buy a 2nd hand car that's a few years old made by a more reputable car maker than buy these piles of crap.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post