Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Schumacher critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
His condition will be made public at some point, and all the secrecy and paranoia on the family's part will have been for nothing. They'd be far better off issuing a one off statement outlining his state, and that would make the media and public lose interest for the most part, and they could all just get on with life.
Could not agree more. I don't get the whole secrecy thing.

Fact is, he is a public figure, loved, respected, looked up to, by millions of people and motorsport fans. Give them an update FFS and be done with it.

Sell the story for a few million bucks and use the money to fund his care if need be....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His condition will be made public at some point, and all the secrecy and paranoia on the family's part will have been for nothing. They'd be far better off issuing a one off statement outlining his state, and that would make the media and public lose interest for the most part, and they could all just get on with life.
No it'd all make it even worse as people would ask for even more details.

Personally I can't believe people not respecting their wishes and wanting to know more, it's all a bit voyeuristic.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They'd be far better off issuing a one off statement outlining his state, and that would make the media and public lose interest for the most part, and they could all just get on with life.
Why? It's none of anyone else's business, the media scum should just get on with life instead of trying to pester the family for news. Schumacher's health is not 'news'.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Why? It's none of anyone else's business, the media scum should just get on with life instead of trying to pester the family for news. Schumacher's health is not 'news'.
That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that there are enough people wanting to know that the press will pursue it, and the family will have to go out of its way to maintain privacy. Doesn't sound like much of a life, constantly being vigilant and cautious about anyone you let into your life.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Media only reports on matters of interest to the public who are willing to pay for news stories, proof is right here with the interest generated on this forum post about Schumacher condition.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Being interested in knowing and being entitled to know are two different things.

I’m interested to know but I don’t feel I’m entitled to.

If a newspaper reported his condition I’d read about it but that doesn’t mean I believe they should take someone to court to gain access to personal info just because they will make money out of people like me who are interested.

I’m interested in seeing Scarlett Johansson naked but I’m sure she doesn’t agree with me.

Last edited by Express; 23-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’m interested in seeing Scarlett Johansson naked but I’m sure she doesn’t agree with me.

We need to get a class action started , a change.org petition and a facebook page going STAT for this to happen.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Hazzaman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
We need to get a class action started , a change.org petition and a facebook page going STAT for this to happen.

Hear, hear! Sign me up.
Hazzaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Media only reports on matters of interest to the public who are willing to pay for news stories, proof is right here with the interest generated on this forum post about Schumacher condition.
Really? This thread isn't entirely about Schumacher's condition, despite the title. There has been discussion about whether or not the family should just switch off the life support as well as arguments over whether or not the public have a "right to know".
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

We can all agree and others would disagree.
I'm all for quality of life etcetc BUT we also should put ourselves in his wife's position on the circumstance and children.
It is her right to keep all within their bubble, it doesn't suit us BUT thats her/their call.
People need to accept and respect this imo.
Would you think MS during his career of highs and lows not at times lay together in discussion with his worrying wife discussing IF this happens or that happens I wish you to make sure you do this if any hope for eg ? MS was/is a very smart calculating man something as this would not surprise me.
Lauda had the Priest come in reading his last rites - did his wife say switch everything off in that worrying no hope first week another eg.........
This is one families decision - its their choice their business no matter what we feel.
I'm sure some here have lost loved ones, despite how terrible we know it looks seeing one laying in bed hopeless I wonder how his kids feel to at least know Dad is still with them, they can touch or kiss him gently for eg talk to him even though there is no response, hopefully not in pain...something is better than nothing as they say.

I'm just playing devils advocate - in the same position I don't know what I would or not do if it was my Dad.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
We can all agree and others would disagree.
I'm all for quality of life etcetc BUT we also should put ourselves in his wife's position on the circumstance and children.
It is her right to keep all within their bubble, it doesn't suit us BUT thats her/their call.
People need to accept and respect this imo.
Would you think MS during his career of highs and lows not at times lay together in discussion with his worrying wife discussing IF this happens or that happens I wish you to make sure you do this if any hope for eg ? MS was/is a very smart calculating man something as this would not surprise me.
Lauda had the Priest come in reading his last rites - did his wife say switch everything off in that worrying no hope first week another eg.........
This is one families decision - its their choice their business no matter what we feel.
I'm sure some here have lost loved ones, despite how terrible we know it looks seeing one laying in bed hopeless I wonder how his kids feel to at least know Dad is still with them, they can touch or kiss him gently for eg talk to him even though there is no response, hopefully not in pain...something is better than nothing as they say.

I'm just playing devils advocate - in the same position I don't know what I would or not do if it was my Dad.
Great words there mate. He never gave up in his career, so maybe his wishes were to never give up in a situation like this,we just don't know. Personally,I respect their wishes for privacy and wish them all the best. It must be one of the toughest decisions to let go of a loved on,even when it is their wish in these situations.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Just goes to show.. Whatever our issues are .. There's always someone WAY worse off.. I feel so sorry for wife and family...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Thanks XByoot, your spot on about him, he never gave up.
The other point is there is always 2 sides to every storey.
You have to admire his wife tbh, she's living in "hope" - she has decided to carry on as if her husband is still around or whatever way I can't find the words to describe this.
Imagine, not moving forward with life so to speak, not having a comforting partner to console with but to carry on her families daily needs.
Despite the money/support there is it sure would be a strange daily life for her.
I hurt for this overall - I admired and loved this racer, despite his "ways" he was an absolute Champion our beloved sport has lost at present in life form.
Saddens me greatly.
Old 21-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
You have to admire his wife tbh, she's living in "hope" - she has decided to carry on as if her husband is still around or whatever way I can't find the words to describe this.
Imagine, not moving forward with life so to speak, not having a comforting partner to console with but to carry on her families daily needs.
Despite the money/support there is it sure would be a strange daily life for her.
I’m in my late 70’s and I know many people in situations like this who are looking after elderly partners that are in various degrees of vegetative or immobile states and they do it without the assistance of wealth.

I’m one of them myself who cares for my wife who after a series of strokes was finally left unable to walk or talk.

Life has to go on for us even when hope is gone.

I feel sorry for Schumacher and his family but I’m sure his family has it better than many others in this world.

Last edited by LoudPipes; 21-12-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Loudpipes, great post and so sorry of your situation all the very best to both of you, I'm sure she knows your there - sticking by your loved one/s no matter what thats what its all about.
All the best to you mate.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

The media's insatiable appetite for gossip has nothing to do with news, updates, looking out for the fans or well-meaning messages..... It is all just about cashing in. The phrase "the public have a right to know" is horribly distorted and widely misunderstood in the context of a revenue-driven media climate of today.

In this day and age of rampant social media and anyone with a phone having the ability to be a papparazzi, it is a credit to the Schumacher family that they have held their privacy this long.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
The media's insatiable appetite for gossip has nothing to do with news, updates, looking out for the fans or well-meaning messages..... It is all just about cashing in. The phrase "the public have a right to know" is horribly distorted and widely misunderstood in the context of a revenue-driven media climate of today.

In this day and age of rampant social media and anyone with a phone having the ability to be a papparazzi, it is a credit to the Schumacher family that they have held their privacy this long.

This is the perfect example for your argument against 'the public have a right to know'.

Even though it's a file sealed for the privacy of those involved including the ex-wife who is still alive, a newspaper has won a court ruling to have private details of someone divorce made public so as they can sell copy.

Public figure or not everyone is entitled to some privacy and there is something morally wrong with this in my books.

Quote:
Judge orders Prince divorce file unsealed

December 22, 2016
Associated Press

A judge has ordered Prince's divorce file opened next month over the objections of ex-wife Manuela Testolini.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune Wednesday's order says the records from Prince's 2006 divorce will be made public on January 13.

The judge denied Testolini's request to stay his order pending appeal.

The newspaper wants records from the couple's divorce released publicly. Testolini's lawyers objected, saying the records are tied to a private settlement.

Hennepin County Family Court Judge Thomas Fraser issued an order in August unsealing the divorce records. The documents' release was delayed because of objections from Testolini; Prince's half brother, Omarr Baker; and Bremer Trust, the company overseeing Prince's estate.

Prince's marriage to Testolini was his second. They married in 2001 and divorced amicably in 2006.

The US rock star died on April 21 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breakin...01bfe995cf0a98
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

agree.

personally in the schumacher case, i don't think the public do have a right to know. he was already retired when he had the accident, therefore his public life was basically over. Of course due to his profile whatever he did would still make 'news' but it wasn't people's 'right' to know what he was up to.

its fine to have an opinion, but you need to respect the family's decisions. whether you think they are right or wrong is irrelevant. He is a husband and father and has always kept his private life sheltered, even when he was racing. Why should it be any different now.

I will forever hold on to hope that while he still has breath in him, that there is hope for he and his family and friends. apart from that i do not care that i'm not getting updated as to his condition. its none of my business or anyone else's.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Gents, it sounds like you need to see all of her movies...not just the Hollywood ones.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Michael Schumacher receives €50,000 in damages following claims he can walk

© Hello Magazine

Michael Schumacher has reportedly received €50,000 (A$75,000) in damages after it was falsely alleged that he was able to walk again, following his horrific skiing accident in December 2013.

The claims were made by a German outlet last year, prompting the Schumacher family to file a law suit arguing for Michael's right to privacy.

A court in Hamburg ruled on the matter overnight and reportedly ordered the magazine to pay 65 per cent of the legal costs and extra charges of €950, the Mirror reports.

Presiding Judge Simone Kafer clarified: "The board assumes that this statement is untrue."

© Hello Magazine

The publication had claimed that Michael was able to "walk a little with the help of his therapists".

It further alleged that a friend had confirmed Michael "manages to make a couple of steps. And he can also raise an arm".

But Michael's lawyer vehemently denied those claims last September.

Felix Damm categorically told the court that the sportsman "cannot walk" and even with the help of therapists is unable to stand.

At the time the story was published, Michael's manager Sabine Kehm also spoke out to publicly refute the claims.

"Such speculation is irresponsible, because given the seriousness of his injuries, his privacy is very important for Michael," she said. "Unfortunately they also give false hopes to many involved people.

Michael was on a skiing holiday in Mirabel, France with his wife Corinna and their two children when he suffered serious head injuries after falling into rocks on 29 December, 2013.

The seven-time world champion had to be placed in a medically-induced coma for six months following the accident, and has been receiving treatment at his home in Switzerland since September 2014.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/...8Ag?li=AAgfYrC

Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #21
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Kind of a misleading title when their legal costs were far more than they were awarded.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sort of given up on caring. They don't want to tell us then there's plenty of other things to worry about in life.

I will say though, and this is just my humble opinion, if he's been left a vegetable then what's the point of living?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #23
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-...a6b282bed7db2d

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #24
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Today should be his 49th birthday. Whether he is aware of the occasion or can celebrate it is unknown.

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...career/999612/

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
8 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #25
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...b680aa857140c4

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #26
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a tragic situation, anyway you look at it. I feel for his family, it would be bloody hard to face. God bless him.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Interesting to see how simple the cars were back then. No fancy front wings etc.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #28
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So incredibly sad ...It's one of the tragedies of F1 .. Although I'm not a massive fan of F1 , I still enjoy watching the occasional GP if the opportunity presents itself and recall when Ayrton Senna met with that incredible bad luck from being hit by debris in 1994 or so . A great talent taken too soon ..Schumacher should be enjoying a great life , maybe a team manager or such, being a Dad and so on and another freak accident not even related to Formula One has done this to him . Fate is so cruel sometimes .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #29
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...4a1ac16241ba23

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Either his wife is preparing for her life without Michael, or this is another step in his rehabilitation process.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides