Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Has the Ford/Icon Automotive dilemma been sorted?

Does anyone know if this was resolved, and how it has affected Ford production?

http://www.ibisworld.com.au/car/News...terprise_id=29
Quote:
Ford car workers stood down : 20 -July-2005

Ford Australia as stood down 1600 workers at its Broadmeadows plant and intends to stand down a further 1600 today at its Geelong plant if the dispute with a supplier is not resolved. Icon Automotive, maker of battery boxes and air-intake valves, among other things, was placed in administration last week. There is concern among car industry unions that Icon workers entitlements may not be met. A Ford spokesman said; "We're definitely looking at two full days of lost production, including 500 cars per day. This is a direct result of the Icon dispute." Toyota has said its staff must attend work today, but may stand down 2500 workers if the dispute is not resolved today. Holden said it had no plans for stand-downs at present. The federal government is concerned that car makers may source products from countries with low-labour costs such as China. The government has called for meetings of auto component makers to discuss this issue.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

last I heard - it was still an issue, and an industry wide one at that.

This is the problem with "Just In Time" manufacturing process. You get parts all the time, but because you are not buying in bulk initially you might end up hamstrung by one component going out of business due to an 'exclusive supply' deal you might have.

I'd expect Ford Australia to lose the equivalent of 5 production days over Falcon and Territory in regards to this alone. Then there is Toyota, Holden and Mistubishi impact as well.

Picture this - 10,000 - 12,000 employees out of work for almost 5 days. Ouch....
Old 30-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Incorrect. It was resolved last Wednesday, it was reported in the paper that Broadmeadows was down for 3 days, Geelong was down for 1.Toyota was down for 2. I'm sure they will do overtime to make up the numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Incorrect. It was resolved last Wednesday, it was reported in the paper that Broadmeadows was down for 3 days, Geelong was down for 1.Toyota was down for 2. I'm sure they will do overtime to make up the numbers.
Good to hear.

I don't follow the news much, too depressing, I mainly only read the weekend papers.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post