Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default 2 minute light mod job !

Ok this may sound strange or a bit tacky , but the results were excellent .

I thought I would try the following / nothin to loose ...

The bright yellow'ish color of the rear courtesy lights and the centre roof light was annoying me , don't ask me why - it just did ..lol , Anyway i though i would try removing the globes and coloring them in with a blue permanent marker , worked really well , came out like tinted blue glass. It didn't matter too much about streakyness from the texta or anything , just tryed to get the color consistent all over , once behind the globe covers u cant even see any of that , and the results were amazing for 2 minutes of coloring in ..lol..
I though , hey i got nothin too loose , if i didn't like it i could of cleaned the blue off the globes with some metho. Very nice now , has a nice blue mood to it .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Im goona do that today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Ok this may sound strange or a bit tacky , but the results were excellent .

I thought I would try the following / nothin to loose ...

The bright yellow'ish color of the rear courtesy lights and the centre roof light was annoying me , don't ask me why - it just did ..lol , Anyway i though i would try removing the globes and coloring them in with a blue permanent marker , worked really well , came out like tinted blue glass. It didn't matter too much about streakyness from the texta or anything , just tryed to get the color consistent all over , once behind the globe covers u cant even see any of that , and the results were amazing for 2 minutes of coloring in ..lol..
I though , hey i got nothin too loose , if i didn't like it i could of cleaned the blue off the globes with some metho. Very nice now , has a nice blue mood to it .
Awsome it'll go well with my blue neons that are under my seats! GREAT IDEA XR6!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Simon
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Simmo
White Lightning

haha rad. my mate gave me this replacement thing that has the normal metal ends just like a bulb, but in between them is a little circuit board and 5 ultra white LEDs. open a door on mine at night and its daytime inside.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
ziggee

post a pic dude, sounds like a nice little mod... be good to see what it looks like
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah i was nearlly gonna make small pcb's with blue l.e.d's on them to fit into the light sockets, but i thought i'de try this first , worked just as well , if not better ! , than what i would of expected from l.e.d's.

lol - red would be interesting , would look like a brothel ! .. hahah

Old 08-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I'll take a pic later when its a bit darker , give the light effect better ;) , cheers .

Can't stress enough how happy i am with the results though , and im a picky bloke ..lol , I thought i would of ended up having to clean the texta/marker off them and go the l.e.d way , this was much easier .

Note: I did just the globes , NOT the clear covers or reflector behind the globe .

Old 08-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Awsome it'll go well with my blue neons that are under my seats! GREAT IDEA XR6!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Simon

Haha , that was my next plan too , to put some blue neons under the front seats ... way we're goin we're gonna have matching interiors : lol

Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Haha , that was my next plan too , to put some blue neons under the front seats ... way we're goin we're gonna have matching interiors : lol
i put 2 x 12" red cold cathodes from a computer [yay native 12v] under my front seats and they are perfect. they completely light up the front and rear footwells and nothing else. the kits are like $30 from a computer shop, all run on 12v and most come with their own switch. and the best part is they run at room temp and produce no raised heat levels so nothings going to burn up. awesome interior mod.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
i put 2 x 12" red cold cathodes from a computer [yay native 12v] under my front seats and they are perfect. they completely light up the front and rear footwells and nothing else. the kits are like $30 from a computer shop, all run on 12v and most come with their own switch. and the best part is they run at room temp and produce no raised heat levels so nothings going to burn up. awesome interior mod.
10/10 for that idea , here i am with my pc case loaded with them and i didn't even think of that ! : , way cheaper setup ;) , wd .

Old 08-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice idea
but how will the ink hold upto the temperature of the globes??
wont go runny and fall off or burn..
or get extra hot and melt the bulb it self

hope it stays all good for you
Old 08-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

nah - none of that - it is a good mod. I did it in my old Barina... lol - Red...

I prefer to colour the globe for the auto transmission light - where it says PRND321 - put a blue one in their - lol.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol , yeah now im thinking of going over every possible globe in the interior . dash / radio / t-bar / elec windows , the lot .
I'll be interested to see when i start pulling things apart if ford used those little coloured covers on white l.e.d's , i hope so , remove the covers and colour them too , otherwise ill have to change the l.e.d's .

Old 08-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could use a plastic cover for the bulbs brought out by Navra I think. They in blue,green and red I think.I used them for my park lights (actually put two on each bulb) in the headlights and don't look too bad! Would be ideal for inside but could only use green outside (some people not impressed if you use red or blue for some strange reason).
Old 08-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Great idea, XR6!

Lotus, is that legal? It looks fantastic on an AU XR6, especially black.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe green is "OK" but red or blue is a "NO NO". Apparently could be mistaken for police or emergency vehicle. I have had no trouble and have had them on for about 18mths. Appear brighter the darker it gets and when headlights on gives a green "ring" around the headlight itself.Had blue on for a while until told to remove them,but other than that have had no trouble at all!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hmm okay, looks really great. I have red side repeaters myself, had them on for about two years with no problems.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
I believe green is "OK" but red or blue is a "NO NO". Apparently could be mistaken for police or emergency vehicle. I have had no trouble and have had them on for about 18mths. Appear brighter the darker it gets and when headlights on gives a green "ring" around the headlight itself.Had blue on for a while until told to remove them,but other than that have had no trouble at all!
I was under the impression any colour is fine as long as there not flashing.
Red is not allowed, the reason being they can be mistaking for brake / tail lights, which obviously belong at the rear of the car.
My mate showed me a printout from a cop database of car laws / regulations which had the laws on additional coloured lights. But i'll stand corrected if anyone knows for sure
Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
ziggee

sorry lotus what have you got in yours....

it looks wicked man.... love it.
I'm making some angels eyes... for the ring effect, if you can go green, i'll do green, I ordered xeon white. so might order some grren ones now.... double thumbs for the mod

what headlight covers are you using? how much were they?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #19
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Yeah i tried the marker trick on my xf then the ink burnt and reduced the light out put. Your best off going gor some silicone sleeves, cheap and easy to fit and/or remove.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lotus that pic reminds of craigs lowdes' old 'greened eyed monster' looks mean
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
Yeah i tried the marker trick on my xf then the ink burnt and reduced the light out put. Your best off going gor some silicone sleeves, cheap and easy to fit and/or remove.
You don't mean you used ink on the headlights/parkers did you ? , thats obvious its gonna be way to hot for ink , as far as the interior globes inside the car though, they are fine to ink , they don't even really get warm , i held my fingers on 1 for a min while it was on with ink on it , was fine .

Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #22
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks ReVd up,that's why I did them, looks great!
Ziggee I have the origional parklight bulbs in ,only put a silicone sleeve (actually 2 of them) over the bulbs.You can buy them from Auto Barn or possibly other outlets.
They are made by Narva ,come in blue,green and I think red. Come in different sizes,3mm and 8.5mm . Used the 8.5 for the parklights and 5mm for the dash which I did in blue.Come in packs of about 5 for approx $3-$4.
Here is a pic of the dash I just took (not a very good shot as it stands out much better than it seems). That is with the dash lights on the brighest position
Old 08-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #23
ferro
Starter Motor

hey guys just new to this so help me out i own a 2002 xr6 series 3 5 spd all leather interior looking to put a te 50 kit on her also looking for tinted headlight covers does anyone know where i get them
ferro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

A nice little mod, let us know how it hold's up in time.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #25
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had the dash done for approx 18mths with no problems.
ziggee I have just the normal XR headlight protectors on.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #26
ziggee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro
hey guys just new to this so help me out i own a 2002 xr6 series 3 5 spd all leather interior looking to put a te 50 kit on her also looking for tinted headlight covers does anyone know where i get them
check awc, everyone loves there kits. its on my list ASAP.

I was thinking of tinted headlight covers, I will buy some and apply some of the left over tint. see what it looks like...

WTB : 2nd hand Au Xr6 headlight covers..
Old 08-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #27
HLC
Audi S3

ive got Blue LED's in the footwells, roof light, t-bar display and power window switches... gonna put little neon sticks in the front and rear footwells cause the LED's dont light up enough. couldnt get any to work in the courtesy lights so atm they are disconnected cause the narva silicon things, with blue, light up green... so dunno what ill do about them yet. maybe ill put 2 sleeves on or something.

also wanna do Blue LEDs behind the climate control/trip computer, and the door lock/traction control/demister/other button..... and when i the 6 stacker off, get a HU with blue lights...

had blue lights for my rear number plate... but coppers picked up on that... didnt write me a defect luckily. i just had the orignal globes and swapped em infront of him.

plus i got a big useless LED stick in the back above the rear seats :
Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
lol , yeah now im thinking of going over every possible globe in the interior . dash / radio / t-bar / elec windows , the lot .
I'll be interested to see when i start pulling things apart if ford used those little coloured covers on white l.e.d's , i hope so , remove the covers and colour them too , otherwise ill have to change the l.e.d's .
most of the lights, if not all in the dash... have little blue condoms/sleeves over them to give off the white light behind the buttons. they are just halogens and shine really yellow/brown without the rubbers on them. im slowly converting everything to LED's
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wonder why Ford never illuminated the cruise control and stereo buttons on the steering wheel?

Would there be a way to do this?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #30
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll take a pic later when its a bit darker , give the light effect better ;) , cheers .

Can't stress enough how happy i am with the results though , and im a picky bloke ..lol , I thought i would of ended up having to clean the texta/marker off them and go the l.e.d way , this was much easier .

Note: I did just the globes , NOT the clear covers or reflector behind the globe .

Wheres the photo negro?
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post