Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Juzman

Default AU Fairlane, suspension mods over lower models?

I've been thinking for awhile of rolling my AUII falcon over for an AU Fairlane

You can pick them up quite cheaply and there are literally no "done up" examples out there, which would make it unique

I've searched the forums and the web and am finding it difficult to find info about whether or not the Fairlane got different suspension to the falcons or fairmonts? I was hoping for a better, more comfortable ride...I assumed they did?

Does anybody know?

cheers

Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im not sure if the suspension is actually different, but due to being a longer wheelbase, they are a lot nicer feeling car to drive, just so soft.
Blackers10 and Debzilla, both are on SL's and BOGE shocks and 20 inch rims, and they ride just as nice as my stock rideheight, 16 inch wheel AU3 forte.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

They got a softer ride than the Falcons but I suspect that they used the same springs as in the fairmont, I know in the aftermarket springs the same springs are listed for Falcon and Fairlane but by virtue of the fact the Fairlane is a heavier car the ride is softer than the Fairmont by default. Be aware that the rear springs will be marginal to start with compared to the front and you'll have to find a way to get the rear under control. I'm just going thorugh this excersise right now as I've fitted a gas tank in the boot of my Fairlane which just exacerbates the problem. The trick for me is to find the right spring that will be stiff enough to hold the rear end up but still retain the ride quality to match the front. I'm on "sports" suspension to start with being a Sportsman so I don't want to go any stiffer. I'm close to a solution and I'll post up about it when I've got it sorted . Others have other solutions to solve the problem from stiffer shocks to going the full adjustable Konis etc. There's also the full custom air ride self leveling system if you've got the money(read $2k). The problem with AU is, it's a full double wishbone setup with a strut unlike the BA onwards and there was never enough volume produced in IRS cars for the aftermarket manufacturers to invest in too many alternatives beyond the usual lowered/stiffer springs. Having said that the AU IRS is a much better setup than BAs' "control blade" in most peoples opinion so it's a bit of a trade off.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Juzman

Yeah, that would be great it you can show flashy 20" wheels, lowered springs and still have a comparable ride to the AU falcons!

So the the falcon, fairmont and fairlane actually all got the same springs but the fairlane got softer shocks then (while the fairmont didn't)? So the shocks and longer wheelbase of the fairlane makes the ride better? I would have assumed on the "luxury" model Ford would have full upgraded the syspension system... if not for the fairmont, at least the fairlane...
Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Don't quote me on this but I'm guessing the Failane Ghia and Fairmont Ghia with IRS all got the same spring/shock combo but the Fairlane has the softer ride simply because it has more weight and a longer wheelbase. My Sportsman has lowered springs from the factory so I'm guessing they are probably just factory XR springs but again, in the 'lane, they become marginal in the rear; it's all relative I guess, lol. The reason, again, I'm guessing, is because the extra weight in the Fairlane is carried rearward so the springs are ok on the front as weight over the front wheels isn't significantly more like it would be on the back. BTW, my "sports" rear spring has been tested at only 240lb which isn't much so I can only guess at how soft the Ghia spring is but you start to understand why the rear of a Fairlane tends to wallow a bit, especially with any extra weight in the back.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
You can pick them up quite cheaply and there are literally no "done up" examples out there, which would make it unique
Plenty of nice done up Fairlanes over on aufalcon.com

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
champ

Default Re: AU Fairlane, suspension mods over lower models?

Goodmorning all. I'm feeling that my fairlane is "not so smooth" these days and Im wondering if the front shock absorbers need replacing. Did the back ones a couple of months ago, & it was smooth sailing, but lately, feels like Im feeling EVERY tiny bump on the road. Even smoothish roads feel like they have little ripples in them. Anyone else experience this?? Any feedback would be appreciated (everyone tells me im imagining it).
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post