Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
QUIKXR
Starter Motor

Default computer mods??????

hello i have an au2xr8 and i want to know if the are any good computer mods than will increase my power and that is worth getting and if so what computer mod or computer???????
thanks

QUIKXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

get a unichip or chiptorque...
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

or an edit or the JMM interceptor...

Lots of options now

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

personally i like aftermarket ecus better ... not a big fan of chips :S
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Same,the edit works well,cold air mod and a decent exhaust for a good 35 plus kw's
Old 14-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
... not a big fan of chips :S
Chips have a bad reputation, but what do people really mean when they refer to a "chip" these days? Of the four options mentioned, only one is a chip, and IMO is one of the better two options.

Unichip, CAPA Flash Tuner, JMM Interceptor, and Chiptorque J3 Chip are each different in the way the interact with the factory computer and affect the calibration/tune of the engine, not to mention each requiring different skills/experience of the tuner.

To answer your question QUIKXR, even if your car is practically stock, you will get a good gain from modifying the "computer". The AU V8's came with a hideously poor tune from the factory...very rich fuel at WOT and in some places too much timing and other places too little.

Is your car modified? Is your car an auto? Whereabouts do you live and how far are you prepared to travel to find a good tuner?

Answer those questions and we can help you narrow down the options a bit more... ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Go the Edit, people are getting some good results on AU XR8's with it
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Chips have a bad reputation, but what do people really mean when they refer to a "chip" these days? Of the four options mentioned, only one is a chip, and IMO is one of the better two options.
my opinion is based on pesonal experience with "chips" or so called interceptors and my own experiences on remapping factory ecus as well as tuning aftermarket ecus
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not a fan of interceptors, but chips are allright. Chiptorques and edits actually change the engines tune whereas Unichips/JMM Interceptors are hacks that bend a bad tune into a good one. Although some are technically better and some cost more than others, the tuner will have more influence over the end result, so find one you like and let them do their stuff.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
Im not a fan of interceptors, but chips are allright. Chiptorques and edits actually change the engines tune whereas Unichips/JMM Interceptors are hacks that bend a bad tune into a good one. Although some are technically better and some cost more than others, the tuner will have more influence over the end result, so find one you like and let them do their stuff.
Actually, the JMM interceptor is not like a Unichip, it sits AFTER the ecu and contains its own MAP sensor and own tuning maps. It is closer to a seperate aftermarket ECU than a "piggyback" as it has no reliance on the ECU signal apart from telling it what the stock ECU is telling the engine to do and then overlaying its own signal to tell the engine what it wants it to do.

Old 14-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the JMM interceptor was basically a combination of a fuel only stand alone ecu and an ignition interceptor.

If it works the way you said it does, then it is still an interceptor, it just sits on the other side of the ecu and overlays it maps on top of the factory ones (which would mean it would be slower than unichip right?)
Old 14-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I thought the JMM interceptor was basically a combination of a fuel only stand alone ecu and an ignition interceptor.

If it works the way you said it does, then it is still an interceptor, it just sits on the other side of the ecu and overlays it maps on top of the factory ones (which would mean it would be slower than unichip right?)
more like replaces the ECU ones. It can be set up to basically run its own tune, the only thing it needs from the factory ECU is the orignal signal to tell it what the factory signals are, it doesnt need them to "bend" them like a unichip. Unichips basically substitute one factory map setting for another that would be more optimal, jmm interceptor uses its own MAPS, the ecu simply tells it what the factory tune was going to do, it then replaces it with its own tune. It can quite happily tune boost to almost any psi, unichips cant on a non turbo ecu as there are no standard maps that are applicable. Anything after 8psi or so is compromised with a Unichip.

Old 14-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
jmm interceptor uses its own MAPS, the ecu simply tells it what the factory tune was going to do, it then replaces it with its own tune.
If it replaces the factory tune then why does it need it at all? What sensor outputs does it read?

So with a JMM interceptor the coil packs are unplugged from the ECU and connected directly to the interceptor itself? That would mean it would need an in built EDIS 6 module like the ECU has.
Old 14-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
If it replaces the factory tune then why does it need it at all? What sensor outputs does it read?

So with a JMM interceptor the coil packs are unplugged from the ECU and connected directly to the interceptor itself? That would mean it would need an in built EDIS 6 module like the ECU has.
Just going on what I've been told, dont know the mechanics of it at all. I guess I'll find out in a few months. I'm sure Brenden could explain how the interceptor works much more than I can.
Up to each individual how they want to tune their car in the end though, personally I'm not a fan of an edit at all, no real evidence of it working well for I6's yet. Unichips are old tech that have reached their used by date and total aftermarket computers are an EPA money pit.

Old 14-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well from what you posted in another thread

Quote:
The JMM Sequential tuner, unlike other interceptor units, takes complete control of the injection system in your vehicle to control the fuel injectors. In turn the ignition control system in the JMM tuner simply takes control of crank and cam sensors and allows us to manipulate ignition timing.
Which makes perfect sense to me. This product isnt made by JMM - its just a re-badged generic tuner so is designed to work with lots of different cars. When it comes to custom engine management driving OEM stuff, injectors are easy because there are only two types (low and high impedance), both work very similarly, and the electronics for both are also very simple. Ignition on the other hand is more difficult. There are so many different types of ignition systems out there, and many of them work in very different ways. This product gets around this my using the ECU to drive the OEM ignition setup (by imitating sensors like a unichip). So as I understand it, this product is the equivalent of an engine with ignition control via unichip and fuel by microfueler or similar fuel only computer.

Its technically better than a unichip, but its not going to be as good as a edit or stand alone ECU.
Old 14-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

sounds reasonable but I honestly have no idea.

Old 14-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

When is Brendan/ JMM back from Hols?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
When is Brendan/ JMM back from Hols?
they are back now

Old 15-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did speak to Brendan and it seems eventually they ae looking at the edits later this year as a permanent replacement for the interceptor. And it makes sense, why alter a signal's output using another device after it to get an end result when the edit can do it straight from the source! I will post some results of the edit on Wednesday.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post