Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #1981
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I sure do!

I briefly entertained the idea of a Passat V6 sedan before I chose my FG XR6.

I'm not usually a fan of V6's, especially with modded exhausts. The VR6 has wonderful off-beat note to it that I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tT20oOMAXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdQkb67XOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzzgfDkIYwM
Vr6s are an odd motor in the sence the cylinders are staggared at a tight angle so only have 1 cylinder head. So not an inline, but also not a typical 90 degree v6. A very interesting engineering solution for packaging a 6 in the space for a 4.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #1982
Kicking back

My plugging in a spitfire idea turned out really well. The only reason i know the power came back at 4am was i only left the light in my room on, and that woke me up. Out of interest i pulled appart the spitty. 3.7v 1.5 amp hour lithium battery, 2w LED. Maths says should be good for 3 hours. It did better then the 2 hour first install, and 90 minute subsequent. Legal requirements for comercial. Not a direct light like a torch, more room lighting, 6m minimum radius, the led ones are better then that. Dont know when it died, i was asleep by then. But im keeping that thing plugged in and off, well, lamp off, and charging. Lends itself to a great work light. Standby charge is only 0.045 amps. Technically i should know this stuff as its my job to a degree, but when its work, and a legal requirement for comercial premisis, not directly affecting myself, i dont care about the numbers.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #1983
roKWiz
Cabover nut

23 1/2 Covid days, 15 tons of hand picked granite. Done.

Now he want a mini version as a letterbox out front.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #1984
Kicking back

I got the monkey off my chest today. The 1 job ive been trying to dodge since it was handed to me. It was just data entry, but thats not my job, and in a building that has multiple floors off limits due to the current circumstances, its a desiesed rat of a place, i was having to go off old paperwork, yep paper. But its done. Maybe not thoroughly, but im not risking it in a desiesed rats nest. Back to real work next week. Using my hands and stuff. Stuff like my brain to diagnose things, or just think. And for reference, 64 hours of data entry was the labour time from me on that job. So not a simple spreadsheet.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #1985
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
23 1/2 Covid days, 15 tons of hand picked granite. Done.

Now he want a mini version as a letterbox out front.

You should change your name to rokgod

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #1986
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That the free council three yearly septic suck out happened on the exact day my newly installed poo pond level had reached the lid due to a blockage in a filter, (teething problems). A minute before this pic and he would have been ummm under water..

Last edited by five 7; 09-05-2020 at 06:32 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #1987
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
That the free council three yearly septic suck out happened on the exact day my newly installed poo pond level had reached the lid due to a blockage in a filter, (teething problems). A minute before this pic and he would have been ummm under water..
Captain Crappo. Or are you just taking the p*ss.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #1988
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha have the pic of before but don't think its suitable for here. There timing was impeccable.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #1989
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Haha have the pic of before but don't think its suitable for here. There timing was impeccable.
Dunno how people end up with such **** jobs..
Old 09-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #1990
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Dunno how people end up with such **** jobs..
Old retired mate had a septic tank pumping business for quite a few years.He reckoned the money was really good,and only had a couple of dirty disasters along the way,where the lid collapsed under him.Really the result of standing on a ripe dog turd in the park is probably as bad.As he said you get out pretty quick and hose yourself off and change of clothes.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #1991
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Old retired mate had a septic tank pumping business for quite a few years.He reckoned the money was really good,and only had a couple of dirty disasters along the way,where the lid collapsed under him.Really the result of standing on a ripe dog turd in the park is probably as bad.As he said you get out pretty quick and hose yourself off and change of clothes.
Ive worked in some really grotty places. I suppose you get used to it, but grease traps, dog turds under houses, failed sump pumps. For myself, a shower and a change of clothes doesnt make me feel clean. Even if the moneys there. And thats why the money is there. But it takes a very, well, motivated, when it comes to being desensitized person to be willing to do the **** jobs.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #1992
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive worked in some really grotty places. I suppose you get used to it, but grease traps, dog turds under houses, failed sump pumps. For myself, a shower and a change of clothes doesnt make me feel clean. Even if the moneys there. And thats why the money is there. But it takes a very, well, motivated, when it comes to being desensitized person to be willing to do the **** jobs.
Or someone who isn’t so precious about getting a bit of dirt on themselves ocassionally.You probably get more greebies on yourself living n Sydney,than pumping septic tanks.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #1993
Kicking back

I went down the bottlo earlier. Drove past a bloke scratching his head at his motorbike. 2 minutes later the same bloke was still scratching his head at said motorbike. So i pulled up. Asked whats going on. The shifter linkage had lost the nut, so no gears. Long story short, had the tools in the ute, didnt have the correct bits, but correct enough bits to make it home, maybe further. Brass nuts are softer then stainless. But my advice was make it home then do it properly. It was this blokes covid 19 project. He had already done indicators and speedo. L plater, but an older bloke. 20 minutes out of my nothing day, seen him ride off with a pocket full of correct enough captive nuts for the ride home. Makes me feel good being the random act of kindness person.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #1994
MercuryT
Banned

Only 4 letters........but really important 4 letters for me!! (went to house today and agent must have done it when I was at work yesterday)

MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #1995
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I went down the bottlo earlier. Drove past a bloke scratching his head at his motorbike. 2 minutes later the same bloke was still scratching his head at said motorbike. So i pulled up. Asked whats going on. The shifter linkage had lost the nut, so no gears. Long story short, had the tools in the ute, didnt have the correct bits, but correct enough bits to make it home, maybe further. Brass nuts are softer then stainless. But my advice was make it home then do it properly. It was this blokes covid 19 project. He had already done indicators and speedo. L plater, but an older bloke. 20 minutes out of my nothing day, seen him ride off with a pocket full of correct enough captive nuts for the ride home. Makes me feel good being the random act of kindness person.
Great stuff mate.

It's amazing how helping other's makes you feel good - I personally can't do anything mechanical but do give advice to anyone who asks me if confused etc (I'm property law)

It's not about money etc, it's about helping out others in need imo
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #1996
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Great stuff mate.

It's amazing how helping other's makes you feel good - I personally can't do anything mechanical but do give advice to anyone who asks me if confused etc (I'm property law)

It's not about money etc, it's about helping out others in need imo
Mate, by no means was it a proper fix. But percentage wise, theres a low percentage of people with the gear to help, and even lower percentage of people with the gear who will help. Nothing more then a thanks mate and a thumbs up riding off. I had nothing more interesting to do. But, tow trucks, motorcyle recovery, all thats not cheap. But this blokes project was just that. He had a stumbling point. Didnt ruin my day helping the bloke out. The thanks is more then golden. Considering no other car pulled up, i helped out a fellow man.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #1997
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Just watched the Petter Solberg AMG prank video again; never fails to uplift.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #1998
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found this in the old tool shed roof cavity this morning as I was beginning to pull down the old lining . This house was built in 1886 and started out as one of several railway cottages ..I've lived here since 1974..when Mum , Dad and my two sisters moved in . Dad bought the property when Tasmanian Government Railways TGR sold them for $7000 each in those days . Imagine that now ...

Does anybody know their medals by the way...

IMG_20200510_093548 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr...

IMG_20200510_093331 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr...

Have no idea how it finished up in the cavity either...might be more by the time I'm finished ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #1999
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I believe it’s a “British War Medal” issued for service. Not sure how you tell when struck. Is the edge still readable?

Watch the cockroaches come out now and demand you give over their great-great-grandfather’s medal...

Last edited by Citroënbender; 10-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #2000
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I believe it’s a “British War Medal” issued for service. Not sure how you tell when struck. Is the edge still readable?

Watch the cockroaches come out now and demand you give over their great-great-grandfather’s medal...

yeah believe ya correct as it 'looks' like a war medal of sorts. did a check of the year 1914. refer link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I

so i would say someone most likely served during the great war, which could be anyone.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #2001
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Found this in the old tool shed roof cavity this morning as I was beginning to pull down the old lining . This house was built in 1886 and started out as one of several railway cottages ..I've lived here since 1974..when Mum , Dad and my two sisters moved in . Dad bought the property when Tasmanian Government Railways TGR sold them for $7000 each in those days . Imagine that now ...

Does anybody know their medals by the way...

imageIMG_20200510_093548 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr...

imageIMG_20200510_093331 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr...

Have no idea how it finished up in the cavity either...might be more by the time I'm finished ...
These might help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_War_Medal

https://www.defence.gov.au/medals/im...al-1914-20.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Medal

I'll trade you a half dozen steamed dimmies for em.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #2002
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
...so i would say someone most likely served during the great war, which could be anyone.
Normally the edge is engraved with recipient details, depends if they’re still legible. Once it would have been easy to loan suchlike indefinitely to a museum, but now I wouldn’t trust them not to sell or “lose” it.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #2003
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Do not clean it. Leave that to the professionals, any cleaning you attempt will devalue it.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #2004
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Without google, I'm guessing ww1 cavalry?

Edit: google says it's a British war medal. Methinks an Irishman/woman threw it out.

Last edited by marty351; 10-05-2020 at 03:10 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #2005
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably wouldn't buy me much as it happens ..Found a War Medal site withthe details on the exact medal and you guys are right ..There was a name on the edge Pte . C Barling . NZEF which is New Zealand Expeditionary Force so one of the fairly early ANZAC's . 5/15 also on the edge so assuming this was the month (May) and year 1915 he joined up .

The Silver medal was issued to anyone who served between August 1914 and November 1918 and six and a half million were issued in 1919 going by the medal info site I've now found . It went to servicemen from the U.K , all British dominions which we were of course and India was mentioned on the medal because at the time the King was also regarded as Emperor of India as well .

Also issued was a Bronze Medal (110,000) for certain servicemen from other places not directly part of the British Empire as I understand .

I'd like to have a go in trying to find if there is any family linked to Pte . Barling and would be happy to pass on the medal to them if they want it .

How I do that ? I have yet to figure out . Otherwise I'll get it assayed some way and decide from there what to do with it . There is a small bullion value apparently so it might be worth a few dollars to a suitable collector . Defiitely won't be cleaning or tampering with it .

Thanks everyone for your interest and advice on this unusual but intriguing find in a shed that's been here for yonks ..A real mystery how it finished up there . Had a more extensive look elsewhere in the roof this arvo and found nothing else except spider webs and bird **** ..
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #2006
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Without google, I'm guessing ww1 cavalry?

Edit: google says it's a British war medal. Methinks an Irishman/woman threw it out.
The naked guy on the horse is meant to depict the king apparently .

The latin meaning of the wording which is

GEORGIVS V BRITT. OMN:REX ET IND:IMP

is in English ... George The Fifth Omnipotent King of Great Britain and Emperor of India ..

Who said you don't learn something new every day as if it's worth diddley squat ...Great to find though..Last thing I expected after living in this house for 46 years ..
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #2007
peaterj
Donating Member

Wonder if this is the guy.

https://www.discoveringanzacs.naa.go.../person/935835
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #2008
Kicking back

I dunno if it makes me feel good or like that guy. When it comes to stuff, i always know a place. Today it was seafood and parted out chicken. I dont eat seafood. But i know a place. Fresh to death. By that i mean on ice, was alive until it got cold. And the wings, again, i know a place. I was paying, it wasnt for myself, but all reports are positive. A little bit of a run around, but a big win as i said i know a place. All cooked up by an aspiring grand daughter. Did the drop amd dash. So no feed for me
Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 AM   #2009
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
so i would say someone most likely served during the great war, which could be anyone.
Well it's not mine if that helps you narrow it down.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog...nd-other-items

E: I missed that it was NZEF, they've got something similar
https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-m...enotaph/search

Last edited by oldel; 11-05-2020 at 12:41 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #2010
peaterj
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Well it's not mine if that helps you narrow it down.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog...nd-other-items

E: I missed that it was NZEF, they've got something similar
https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-m...enotaph/search
Some good info at that 2nd link.

https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-m...otaph%2Fsearch

Army discharge medical info here image 2.

https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/d...pid=IE10100973

Last edited by peaterj; 11-05-2020 at 09:28 AM. Reason: more info
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post