Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FWD Commodore?

Looks like the Commodore may beat us to it...

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/508...on-ii-platform

Quote:
Unconfirmed reports out of the US this week suggest that Holden is set to move to a front-wheel-drive platform for its next-generation Commodore, with the locally-developed Zeta platform to be dumped in favour of GM’s Epsilon II platform.

That doesn’t mean RWD is off the cards altogether, though. According to US magazine Motor Trend, which penned the report, a replacement for the RWD Zeta platform is currently in the works and is forecast to underpin a range of new GM vehicles.

A high-end Cadillac luxury sedan, a “cushier” Buick and a Chevrolet-badged sports sedan may ride atop the new Zeta architecture, with the long wheelbase Holden Caprice and “more premium” Commodore models to retain a RWD layout too.

The report adds that low-end Commodores models such as the Omega and Berlina may disappear altogether, with an Epsilon-based front-driver taking over as Holden’s budget mid-to-large size sedan.

Lending credence to Motor Trend’s report is the appearance of a left-hand drive Buick LaCrosse test mule on Melbourne’s streets. Spotted recently by our spy photographers, the Epsilon II-based Lacrosse was undergoing on-road trials but did not appear to have any obvious test equipment inside its cabin.

The US-market LaCrosse shares its platform with the Opel Insignia, which may also arrive on Australian shores in the near future.

However, unlike the Insignia, the LaCrosse is powered by the same LF1 3.0 and LLT 3.6 litre V6 engines as the Commodore, giving it a power and parts compatibility advantage over the Opel. A 136kW 2.4 litre Ecotec inline four is also offered in the base-grade LaCrosse CX.

The LaCrosse CXS model shown here has the more powerful 210kW 3.6 litre V6 and drives the front wheels, however an AWD drivetrain is available with the 190kW 3.0 litre V6. All LaCrosse models feature a six-speed tiptronic automatic, with no manual transmission offered.

In terms of interior size, the LaCrosse bridges the gap between the Commodore and the unpopular Epica. Its interior boasts a more luxurious design than both, though.

Would the LaCrosse (or any other Epsilon II-based GM product) make an adequate replacement for lower-grade Commodores? Will fleet and private buyers care (or even notice) the switch to front-wheel drive?

Future versions of Holden's sports-oriented Commodores could stay RWD even if the basic range goes FWD.
If Motor Trend is correct and both premium and sporting Commodore models remain RWD, then it appears Australia’s motoring public may be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Budget-conscious Holden customers will have a high-grade mid-sizer instead of the universally disliked Epica, and buyers needing more space or wanting a more involving drive will have a range of RWD sedans and wagons at their disposal.

If, that is, the rumours turn out to be true.

In response to Motor Trend's report, Holden's Senior Product Communications Manager Jonathan Rose told TMR that RWD will remain a part of the Commodore's identity for the forseeable future:

"RWD development is in Holden's DNA and we are focussed on developing more fuel and powertrain alternatives than any other time in the company's history," Rose said.

"We are developing future versions of the Commodore and continue to focus on working with other parts of GM for export opportunities for locally developed products.

"The fact that Commodore has been Australia’s best-selling car for the past 14 years highlights that there remains strong demand for RWD vehicles."
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Isn't the Cruze secretly going to be FWD commodore replacement..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

If it was to happen, and that is a big if.

It would be a big problem for Holden, no FWD large family car has been a runaway success in Australia. Some have put in a good effort (magna and aurion) but none have really cracked the market.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If Commodore went FWD, i bet Falcon would follow, so i hope it stays RWD
Old 27-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Pretty much.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
MexicanBatman
Banned

i'll be first inline to buy one of these, by then probably 1800+kg and 2.5L V6 by current trends should be awesome LOL

whats wrong with holden, never really liked the commodore, but the 3.0L VE is a freeking joke, i swear my scooter goes better.... unless my butt dyno need re calibrating?

maybe fwd would make it a better car

go ford soon to be boosting all engines your going to be able to get a falcon with a boosted 4 6 and 8, too bad due to legalities young drivers wont be able to drive the economical version
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This report started with Motor Trend in the USA but I think they got the plan wrong way round.

I believe that:
1) Commodore will stay RWD and ultimately move to lighter Alpha platform.
2) Zeta II is being developed by GM Shanghai for LWB vehicles only (Caprice/Park Avenue)
3) Midsized car and possibly Caprice replacement could become Epsilon II FWD vehicles.

Caprice has become like Fairlane, there is no local market to justify continuing it after this product cycle,
Caprice PPV is last gasp for it and I doubt Holden really wants their flagship to end up this way...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Everytime we have a Falcon going FWD article it is about how it is doomed etc.

Now the commodore rumour is out and the article is fairly positive.

I know I know, one eyed Ford bias. Wrong forum people.
Old 28-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz

i know what you mean!!!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I drove a FWD G6 across America last year .. I must say most people would be happy with it.. Much lighter in FWD, any hint of under steer your going way too fast anyway..
The stability control takes over so the old fashioned driving style of driving by rear wheels and throttle doesn't work the same as older cars.. However very nice package to Mr / Mrs average...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G6
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
At least the Falc would be a FWD/AWD (assuming a platform car with Taurus).
But the is still hope for GRWD in the Ford camp.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The writing has been on the wall since Oct 2008, GM had 2 big budget RWD platforms one for low cost applications and one for high end. Now they have decided there will be only one. Guess who lost that battle.
Old 28-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Oh my goodness! I wonder what Jiz Spanks at Drivel.com.au will have to say about this little conundrum![U]

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz

I hate to be too paranoid about how journos present their stories, but I also noted that this 'will be the best of both worlds' for Holden drivers. Whereas with the FWD Falcon, I have only ever heard a pessimistic view point from our local scribes.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
hardlynormal

If its got a Commodore badge it'll sell.
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of what happens, you would assume that GM seem to have decided that the commodore is going to be allowed to die, and use its own resources to attack it. Worse case scenario, they lose 1% of their global sales, by not selling any commodores. Best case, they import Opels from Europe, Chevys from US and add a bit to their asian offerings, and pick up a few thousand sales from these products.

Far better to sell a few thousand more imports at a profit, then to sell 5000 commodore derivatives at a loss each year. With every uptick of the australian dollar, just brings the increased import strategy closer to fruition.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Aren't Commodores already front wheel drive??

I keep seeing them with big rims on the front and little skinny ones on the rear.
Old 28-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Aren't Commodores already front wheel drive??

I keep seeing them with big rims on the front and little skinny ones on the rear.
LOL, that's quite funny!!! (and true).

Old 28-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Commodore's biggest threat isn't front wheel drive, but offshore production in China or Daewooland.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm starting to think all this FWD crap coming from both Ford and Holden is just a publicity thing. First Ford do it, then Holden thinks they need to catch up and start their own (meanwhile Ford are actually developing 400kW XT's that run on bio-ethanol?) Smoke n mirrors!

Last edited by Fev; 28-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not buying this well have both RWD & RWD crap!! Talk about wasting money!! Do one or the other, doing both is just throwing good money down the drain!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

lets see how many people that tow will buy a front wheel drive commodore or falcon. If they go this way, expect to see a large jump in the amount of landcruisers and patrols on the road.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #23
GTP-814
love the quad cams

if it goes FWD, then look out local production as we will have nothing to differentiate ourselves, as the cheap asians are already tooded up
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #24
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

This has been on the cards for a while, but it just hasn't had the same level of pessimism and coverage.

Who is more likely to kill off their Aussie designed RWD platforms?
GM are still very stupid.
Ford have wised up and become consistently profitable under Mullaly. More and more engineering projects are being given to Ford Australia too.

On that basis GM would be more likely to kill Zeta/Commodore than a wised up Ford killing off Falcon.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz

Knew it wouldnt be long, after a quiet story on fwd commodore yesterday, Ford is once again mentioned on a couple of other forums with big Al saying that Ford wants to concentrate on a core amount of Ford vehicles. (and this sounds like a good idea to me). And watta ya know apparently Falcon is on its death bed again, when she was not even mentioned by Al.

Truly why does this not surprise me, who is it in the aussie media that wants Ford AUSTRALIA to fail????
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
Who is it in the aussie media that wants Ford AUSTRALIA to fail????
Just about everyone who doesn't drive one. Just like Mitsubishi they will try to hound Ford out of existence. Every time a gov handout was given to MMA it was front page news but who ever heard of the 200 million handed out to Holden.
Old 29-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #27
Falcman0o7
Banned

Holden will not go RWD. Seriously, I'm pretty sure they know what sells their big cars.
A SS 300kw + FWD??? Hmmmm...NO!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #28
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Holden will not go RWD. Seriously, I'm pretty sure they know what sells their big cars.
A SS 300kw + FWD??? Hmmmm...NO!
They don't have a choice in the matter. Its GM and ultimately the US govt.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
The US government doesn't want any part of running GM, they want to sell their share and get out.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #30
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Sucked in then ay! LMFAO!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post