Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #8941
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 8th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

25 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.182%.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.143% and active cases 62.

The UK had a record 68,053 cases yesterday and a record 1,325 deaths. That record also reached 100 cases per 100k of population for the day.

Just over 297k new cases (a new record) in the USA yesterday and a new record high 4,239 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.689% and active cases at 39.0% with the raw numbers rising and now at 8.3M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 89M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global cases set a new daily high of 835,273 (7/1);
Brazil passes 8M cases and 200k deaths;
Africa passes 3M cases;
Brazil passes 200k deaths;
Africa records a new daily high with 36,500 cases;
North America records a new daily high with 311,763 cases;

Mozambique (521) - 53% above the previous high;
Lebanon (5,440) 14% above the high yesterday;
Japan (6,906);
Ireland (8,227);
Portugal (10,176);
Indonesia (10,617);
Mexico (13,734);
Colombia (18,221);
South Africa (21,980);
Spain (25,456) - the previous high in October;
United Kingdom (68,053); and
USA (297,357)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #8942
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

Giving notice of a lockdown when you still have the 4 reasons defeats the purpose of the lockdown. I reckon there would be very few vacancies on the Sunshine and Gold Coasts, full of escapees making the most of the free long weekend
! The only exception was the lockdown of the Housing Commission flats in Melbourne. The logistical support to those in that community was not good enough. As long as you can still go out for supplies, why give a days notice. My only personal exception is that everyone should be allowed to go home. I think this should be a right that governments should have to work around to allow it safely.
A very difficult call to make for the officials. Rights of the few vs health of the many. There really is not a right or wrong answer IMHO, just answers that people will either agree or disagree with.

The melb tower lock downs were found to have breached human rights. Whilst it is not what you saw on TV, there are other reports that stated a majority of residents in those towers agreed with the lock down. They wanted to be protected. I can believe that, because if the majority did not agree, they could have EASILY out muscled the officials there and not comply.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #8943
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
A very difficult call to make for the officials. Rights of the few vs health of the many. There really is not a right or wrong answer IMHO, just answers that people will either agree or disagree with.

The melb tower lock downs were found to have breached human rights. Whilst it is not what you saw on TV, there are other reports that stated a majority of residents in those towers agreed with the lock down. They wanted to be protected. I can believe that, because if the majority did not agree, they could have EASILY out muscled the officials there and not comply.
Yeah I was all good with that lockdown, just the mess of people waiting days for some out of date food was pretty bad. We should have had the resources to ask them all for a reasonable "online" order on the first night, and ship it in for them next day. There are existing systems that could have managed that. In the scheme of things, the cost is insignificant, and the logistics manageable.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #8944
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Didn't work. Try this one.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/miami...0-358444e0b396

More to the story if you do a search.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #8945
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Most people were intimidated and confused by the government and police presence at the tower lockdown, think your comment could be premature in saying they wanted to be protected.
That lockdown was mishandled from the start like the hotel quarantine saga in the early days of this pandemic.
Cheers

Last edited by Itsme; 09-01-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #8946
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Didn't work. Try this one.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/miami...0-358444e0b396

More to the story if you do a search.
Like all Vaccines none have never been proven to be 100% safe to the poulous as I'm aware of, always could be that risk element involved.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #8947
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Most people were intimidated and confused by the government and police presence at the tower lockdown, think your comment could be premature in saying they wanted to be protected.
That lockdown was mishandled from the start like the hotel quarantine saga in the early days of this pandemic.
Cheers
Premature? It happened 6 months ago!

Unless you know a large sample of people living in those towers, it comes down to your perception. Funny how they only interviewed residents from a certain background. There is a large Vietnamese community living in those blocks, I never saw one being interviewed.

I'll give you another one, "most" Victorians agreed with the harsh lock downs during the 2nd wave because they wanted to be protected. If you only watched and read MSM with all the outrage and protests, you'd probably think otherwise.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #8948
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Case of UK strain flew into Queensland from Melbourne as no new cases recorded

There have been zero new cases of coronavirus in Queensland overnight but another case of the UK strain has flown from Victoria into the state.

The woman flew in on Jetstar flight JQ570 at 11pm on January 5 after arriving from the UK to Melbourne on Boxing Day.

In spite of being cleared to travel to Queensland, she still tested positive.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...7-4e258702beeb
Old 09-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #8949
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I see Lord Farquaad was back today.

It's the hair style for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYp...icantNumber301
Old 09-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #8950
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916

Not the largest sample size, but I imagine cardiac MRI scans aren't cheap. Note the parts which say 'independent of severity', some subjects were even asymptomatic.
That gets my weekly award for the most useless click bait.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:49 AM   #8951
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Premature? It happened 6 months ago!

Unless you know a large sample of people living in those towers, it comes down to your perception. Funny how they only interviewed residents from a certain background. There is a large Vietnamese community living in those blocks, I never saw one being interviewed.

I'll give you another one, "most" Victorians agreed with the harsh lock downs during the 2nd wave because they wanted to be protected. If you only watched and read MSM with all the outrage and protests, you'd probably think otherwise.
Do you think your perception of the events is correct with the towers lock down, if you think most people agreed with the harsh lockdowns then good on you if thats is the way you see it all but from my perception from interactions with friends, associates and public and all forms of media I will disagree with your comment.
Be a boring world if we all agreed with everything.
Cheers.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:17 AM   #8952
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Do you think your perception of the events is correct with the towers lock down, if you think most people agreed with the harsh lockdowns then good on you if thats is the way you see it all but from my perception from interactions with friends, associates and public and all forms of media I will disagree with your comment.
Be a boring world if we all agreed with everything.
Cheers.
I can't say one way or the other but during the Melbourne lockdown, Dan Andrews polls were in favour of his leadership by an overwhelming majority.

Never confuse the loudest voice as being the majority.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #8953
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Case of UK strain flew into Queensland from Melbourne as no new cases recorded

There have been zero new cases of coronavirus in Queensland overnight but another case of the UK strain has flown from Victoria into the state.

The woman flew in on Jetstar flight JQ570 at 11pm on January 5 after arriving from the UK to Melbourne on Boxing Day.

In spite of being cleared to travel to Queensland, she still tested positive.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...7-4e258702beeb
I am at a loss to this, you test positive, but you do not need a negative test to be released? You just need to have no symptoms at the end of your 14 days?

2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #8954
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Actually, regs in place then, which affected her, required only TEN days’ asymptomatic quarantine following a positive test. So theoretically, if you arrived with a positive test result you could leave quarantine faster than someone with consistent negative test results.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #8955
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 9th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.180%. NSW recorded 6 cases, SA 3 and Victoria, WA, NT recorded 1 each.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.143% and active cases 62.

The UK had 59,317 cases yesterday and 1,035 deaths.

Just under 295.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 4,016 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.685% and active cases at 39.3% with the raw numbers rising and now over 8.8M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 90M, the last 1M in 1 day;

The UK passes 3M cases;

Africa records a new daily high with 36,687 cases;
North America records a new daily high with 339,054 cases;

Mozambique (879) - 69% above the high yesterday;

Dominican Republic (2,106);
Bolivia (2,263) - the previous high on July 7th;
UAE (2,998);
Japan (7,855) for the 5th consecutive day; and
Mexico (14,362);

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #8956
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I can't say one way or the other but during the Melbourne lockdown, Dan Andrews polls were in favour of his leadership by an overwhelming majority.

Never confuse the loudest voice as being the majority.
We all know polls can be wrong and again as mentioned by forum members MSM can influence the masses whether information is correct or false.
All comes down to where you are sourcing your information from and who you believe, each to their own.
Cheers.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #8957
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the last time Australia tested their testing kits?

The numbers coming out of all states are not following the trend. And QLD reporting double donuts when this super dooper infection strain was on the loose for 5 days?

Quote:
I am at a loss to this, you test positive, but you do not need a negative test to be released? You just need to have no symptoms at the end of your 14 days?
Too odd for me to understand. But AHPPC approved and agreed at the national cabinet.

Also just read that China has increased their quarantine days from 14 to 21 due to the new strains. Hmmmmmmm

Last edited by T3rminator; 10-01-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #8958
mostly_broncos

do lockdowns even work?

https://fee.org/articles/california-...Q-fGYapyjJ-fgU
Old 10-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #8959
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
Thats an open ended question. Do condoms work? Yes if every male uses them, do they work with holes in them?
Old 10-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #8960
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats an open ended question. Do condoms work? Yes if every male uses them, do they work with holes in them?
Never thought about it like that Another hole in the condom WA News - Quarantine breach

Change subject a bit, there was discussion here a few days ago about long term effects, this was published a few days ago (and not MSM)

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...656-8/fulltext

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 10-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #8961
PhilT2

Quote:
Depends on whose figures you want to believe.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/

This site has all the states with few lockdown rules well ahead when adjusted for population. The Dakotas have lead for a while and California is well down the list.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #8962
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

I got tested for the first time yesterday...

Didn't think i needed to but what the heck, apparently we don't even know if we have it...

Old 10-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #8963
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
I got tested for the first time yesterday...

Didn't think i needed to but what the heck, apparently we don't even know if we have it...
If you think you have symptoms, frequentented a hot spot or possible contact with someone who may have covid fair enough otherwise just waste of time & resources for a random check imo.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #8964
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Forgot to mention it is also now a part of my FIFO employment requirements...

Waste of time and resources .. i bet many with the virus think that as well.

2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #8965
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip receive COVID-19 vaccines as UK records 80,000 coronavirus deaths

Buckingham Palace officials said in a statement that the 94-year-old monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, received their jabs on Saturday local time, joining some 1.5 million people in Britain who have been given a first dose of a vaccine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...cines/13045500
Old 10-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #8966
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
Forgot to mention it is also now a part of my FIFO employment requirements...

Waste of time and resources .. i bet many with the virus think that as well.
My younger brother travelling from Perth to Newman (BHP Mine) has been getting tested every time since the beginning of the crisis.

Guys from WA that work with me out of Darwin get tested every time they return home, then self isolate for 14 days getting retested on the 12th day.

I've been flying from QLD to the NT and return the whole time and never had a test or been required to self isolate......yet!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #8967
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Yes look at Melbourne Australia!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54654646
Old 10-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #8968
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Most people in Australia likely to get AstraZeneca COVID vaccine rather than Pfizer shot

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-1...kelly/13045960
Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #8969
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Most people in Australia likely to get AstraZeneca COVID vaccine rather than Pfizer shot

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-1...kelly/13045960
I won't be fussed whichever vaccine they use here in Australia long as it works as intended and gets our lives back to some normality.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2021, 10:59 PM   #8970
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Negative test won't work because you can still test positive weeks after being infected due to the antibodies being present.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Closed Thread