Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brake fluid

The fluid level in the Mondeo brake fluid reservoir is hard to
check because the level can hardly be seen without a strong torch at exactly the right angle. My experience anyway.

Fortunately the reservoir is of a cunning design, as I discovered today a bit late after changing the front discs and pads. All you need to do is pour fluid into the neck until it stops going in and begins to rise. The reservoir should then be at the invisible max mark.

Being used to the older type reservoir where what you see is what you get, and mistakenly thinking the level was at the minimum mark it took a while to sink in.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
WagonWheel

Default Re: Brake fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
The fluid level in the Mondeo brake fluid reservoir is hard to
check because the level can hardly be seen without a strong torch at exactly the right angle. My experience anyway.

Fortunately the reservoir is of a cunning design, as I discovered today a bit late after changing the front discs and pads. All you need to do is pour fluid into the neck until it stops going in and begins to rise. The reservoir should then be at the invisible max mark.

Being used to the older type reservoir where what you see is what you get, and mistakenly thinking the level was at the minimum mark it took a while to sink in.
Sorry to resurrect this little thread, but which Mondeo model do/did you have and which brand and type of brake fluid did you use? I'm looking for one that meets specification WSS-M6C65-A2 for a MC Mondeo. Not that I would change the brake fluid myself, but as a top up if needed. I know it needs to be DOT 4, but Nulon and Penrite spec finder doesn't show one that meets the spec. The only one I can find that might meet it is Castrol React Performance DOT 4.

BTW, you are so right about the deception of the reservoir. Looking at the outside, it can give a false reading, but on opening the cap, you can see how much is in there.
WagonWheel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry about the Ford spec, any decent DOT 4 will do to top up.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 25-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonWheel View Post
Sorry to resurrect this little thread, but which Mondeo model do/did you have and which brand and type of brake fluid did you use? I'm looking for one that meets specification WSS-M6C65-A2 for a MC Mondeo. Not that I would change the brake fluid myself, but as a top up if needed. I know it needs to be DOT 4, but Nulon and Penrite spec finder doesn't show one that meets the spec. The only one I can find that might meet it is Castrol React Performance DOT 4.

BTW, you are so right about the deception of the reservoir. Looking at the outside, it can give a false reading, but on opening the cap, you can see how much is in there.
Here was my research regarding the Brake Fluid, I hope it helps; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...12#post4838612
Old 25-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Here was my research regarding the Brake Fluid, I hope it helps; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...12#post4838612
Thanks for that. It's very interesting, especially the part about Ford themselves not even using the specified brake fluid. I guess in Armidale NSW where it gets down to -10 in winter, you might need the specified brake fluid.
Old 25-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
Don't worry about the Ford spec, any decent DOT 4 will do to top up.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Thanks.
Old 26-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Info on Castrol React Dot4 (Ford spec) and Castrol Protector Series Dot 4:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/fusionpds.nsf/files/90d5b00c9edb530680257a0500321cc6/$file/bpxe-8gwhqd_0.pdf

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/austral...uid-dot-4.html

I've got an accidental mixture of both in my MC I think

Last edited by rondeo; 26-11-2016 at 08:54 AM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
WagonWheel

Quote:
Info on Castrol React Dot4 (Ford spec) and Castrol Protector Series Dot 4:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/fusionpds.nsf/files/90d5b00c9edb530680257a0500321cc6/$file/bpxe-8gwhqd_0.pdf
I had seen that (South African) 'React DOT 4 Low Temp' sheet. It meets the specification, but I don't think it's the one used in Australia. There are two Castrol React Dot 4s in Australia (performance and racing), but they don't mention the MC Mondeo specification.

Quote:
http://www.castrol.com/en_au/austral...uid-dot-4.html

I've got an accidental mixture of both in my MC I think
From what others have said here it doesn't seem to matter as long as it's DOT 4, although I did read somewhere not to mix DOT 4s if one is synthetic and the other is non-synthetic as at least one motorist almost had an accident as the brakes didn't work although that was a completely different car. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...ot-4-synthetic