Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Worn Tyres

Hey all, I have had my car lowered on Standard 17inch rims for over a year now and i have had the tyres Dunlop 3000A for nearly 2 years now and all my tyres are nearly worn. My Front drivers tyre is totally bold on the inside while the other side there is some tread left! I spoke to the tyre people and they said you need a camber kit. Spoke to a few mechanics and they said that you dont need one, they are only 17inch!!!!

I dont drive all that hard or do burn outs so what can i do to avoide this happening in the future and any suggestions why this has happened would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks a bunch!! (the CAR is a AU XR6 02 SII)

xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im on SL's and 17's and was told I had to have camber kits. I think its better to be safe then sorry anyway.
Old 27-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

tyre size has no bearing on if you need a camber kit or not.. and it sounds like you do mate.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sounds like you have the same problem I did.

I told my mech about putting a camber kit in and he said I don't need it, and adjusted my toe in about a degree and haven't had any uneven tyre wear on the front, but I have a real floating sensation on the highway now.
Old 27-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The caster camber is different on all cars I have had 4 AUs up the drive .we lowered 1 had the front end re alignment no problems the next needed the caster camber kit .. it just the luck of the draw . just take it to a reliable front end place & they will tell you what it needs

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

how many kilometres have you done on the tires?
Old 27-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Sounds like you have the same problem I did.

I told my mech about putting a camber kit in and he said I don't need it, and adjusted my toe in about a degree and haven't had any uneven tyre wear on the front, but I have a real now.
Same here, but minus the floating sensation on the highway...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
Hey all, I have had my car lowered on Standard 17inch rims for over a year now and i have had the tyres Dunlop 3000A for nearly 2 years now and all my tyres are nearly worn. My Front drivers tyre is totally bold on the inside while the other side there is some tread left! I spoke to the tyre people and they said you need a camber kit. Spoke to a few mechanics and they said that you dont need one, they are only 17inch!!!!

I dont drive all that hard or do burn outs so what can i do to avoide this happening in the future and any suggestions why this has happened would be greatly appreciated!!!

How often do you rotate and align your wheels?
Old 28-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok the tyres have done about 25 XXX. And i havent really roated them like i should. Will a camber kit affect handling?
Old 28-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007

Did you have a wheel alignment done after the car was lowered?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, a wheel alignment has been done after lowering. I just might need a camber kit. With a camber kit does that mean i will never need a wheel alignment?
Old 29-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #12
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

camber kit just chages the angle...
if you hit a nice pot hole you are still going to need a wheel alignment, lol
Old 29-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone had any positive comments regarding a camber kit??
Old 29-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #14
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got one after i lowered my car for the 2nd time. definitely worth the money. gives more adjustment for lowered cars.

i had a awesome looking camber, but would have killed my tyres in no time.