Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #15841
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
They mentioned, Liverpool, Merrylands, Granville, then I couldn't keep up typing, the reporter was talking quicker than I could type!..sorry!
Ch 24 news this morning.
Sydney Metro is doing a lot better now. What we have to watch for is The Hunter/New England and the Northern Rivers. Anti-vax country apparently.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #15842
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #15843
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD and SA have had several incursions of the sydney delta variant type 1......yet they've been able to knock it back to 0 each time. What makes them "different"?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #15844
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
QLD and SA have had several incursions of the sydney delta variant type 1......yet they've been able to knock it back to 0 each time. What makes them "different"?
Yeh, I always wonder that, and is it the people not being responsible or something else we don't know about, and look at WA, nothing here really compared to the other States and Territories and we get heaps of covid ridden ships crew coming here!
It's a worry T3.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #15845
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Gees...got up early this morning and headed out for a hike. With the amount of people out and about, would not have guessed we were close to 2000 today.

Apparently he took his mask off in the car, then walked up to the press gallery. Found it odd he would wear a mask in the car! Who actually does that unless you are a taxi / uber driver?!
Ministerial car will have a driver to carry Daniel Andrews around, you won't find him or cabinet ministers driving themselves.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #15846
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Sydney Metro is doing a lot better now. What we have to watch for is The Hunter/New England and the Northern Rivers. Anti-vax country apparently.
Nah, not anti-vax. Maybe anti-AZ but not anti-vax. Maybe a little of "She'll be right" and "I'll get around to it" attitude.

It more has to do with not enough Pfizer to go around. When Sydney were at the height of cases and wanted extra doses they took a quite a few from our area. A lot of appointments were cancelled.

The local vaccination hub up in in our area runs at 100% each and every day. There are not vaccinations hubs on each and every corner and they are not open every day, 24 hours a day. Doctors are also a little more sparse than in Sydney so with all of this COVID related stuff going on they are a little more busier than usual so there are longer waiting periods to see a Doctor.

Some people are driving for up to several hours to try and get vaccinated.

Gotta remember too, it is the country and farmers etc just can't drop everything and drive several hours to get the jab. Also they have to time it so if they get sick (even a sore arm) it does not affect how the farm is run. If a farmer gets sick sometimes there is no one else to run the farm.

Last edited by PG2; 09-10-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #15847
.:4:.
Kicking back

This is just an opinion, so not scentific in the slightest. So say in any population in any state has the same, for arguments sake, 5% of persons who get infected and ignore all health recomendations. So thats where i reckon population density comes into play. So only because i live in nsw, I'll put my thoughts towards that. So majority of outbreaks and high case numbers have been from sydney and greater sydney. So a lot of medium and high population density housing. So flats, townhouses, duplexes etc. So more passing by in common areas as opposed to waving over the fence to a neighbour checking your mailbox etc. So my thought is living in close quarters means greater chance of closer contact. So i have no science to back these thoughts, but i dont reckon its 100% conspiracy theory.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #15848
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Nah, not anti-vax. Maybe anti-AZ but not anti-vax. Maybe a little of "She'll be right" and "I'll get around to it" attitude.

It more has to do with not enough Pfizer to go around. When Sydney were at the height of cases and wanted extra doses they took a quite a few from our area. A lot of appointments were cancelled.

The local vaccination hub up in in our area runs at 100% each and every day. There are not vaccinations hubs on each and every corner and they are not open every day, 24 hours a day. Doctors are also a little more sparse than in Sydney so with all of this COVID related stuff going on they are a little more busier than usual so there are longer waiting periods to see a Doctor.

Some people are driving for up to several hours to try and get vaccinated.

Gotta remember too, it is the country and farmers etc just get drop everything and drive several hours to get the jab. Also they have to time it so if they get sick (even a sore arm) it does not affect how the farm is run. If a farmer gets sick sometimes there is no one else to run the farm.
Fair enough. But I can't come at the argument that someone is unvaxxed because they prefer (yes yes yes, I know, ATAGI said jab this, not that) when there is a perfectly good jab (Az) available.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #15849
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
This is just an opinion, so not scentific in the slightest. So say in any population in any state has the same, for arguments sake, 5% of persons who get infected and ignore all health recomendations. So thats where i reckon population density comes into play. So only because i live in nsw, I'll put my thoughts towards that. So majority of outbreaks and high case numbers have been from sydney and greater sydney. So a lot of medium and high population density housing. So flats, townhouses, duplexes etc. So more passing by in common areas as opposed to waving over the fence to a neighbour checking your mailbox etc. So my thought is living in close quarters means greater chance of closer contact. So i have no science to back these thoughts, but i dont reckon its 100% conspiracy theory.
There is no doubt that close contact with other people who may be infected will lead to more infections.

So yes, high density living with 5% of those living there being infected would not be a good situation.

Talking about close contacts reminded me of those in professions that either are anti-vax or pro-choice.

I read recently in the news that some police officers in Victoria did not want to get vaccinated or were against mandatory vaccination.

I thought that was incredible, especially from people in a profession that cannot help avoid close contact in their line of work if on the beat;
  • Manhandling or arresting a person
  • Attending homes for domestic violence / disturbances
  • Peering through a car window ... "Driver's licence please!"
  • Attending protest marches
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #15850
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Mates in qld hang **** on me every weekend, sending photos of pubs and clubs going abouts their usual business. Yet no spread.

I'm not very family with brissy, but I thought they love their condos and multi storey apartments? Or is that just gold coast?

Weather? Doesn't explain SA though.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 09-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #15851
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fair enough. But I can't come at the argument that someone is unvaxxed because they prefer (yes yes yes, I know, ATAGI said jab this, not that) when there is a perfectly good jab (Az) available.
That is fair enough too, but the 'fear' of AZ is not just confined to the country areas, there are plenty of people that prefer the Pfizer jab even in the city areas.

A rhetorical question, by why should country people have to 'settle' for the AZ jab when others have a choice? There was plenty of AZ going around, even at the height of the Sydney cases, why didn't Sydney take a heap of AZ instead of the Pfizer?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #15852
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
That is fair enough too, but the 'fear' of AZ is not just confined to the country areas, there are plenty of people that prefer the Pfizer jab even in the city areas.

A rhetorical question, by why should country people have to 'settle' for the AZ jab when others have a choice?
A rhetorical answer, there was no Pf available to most city people either earlier on but I, and many others vaxxed up.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #15853
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

A rhetorical question, by why should country people have to 'settle' for the AZ jab when others have a choice? There was plenty of AZ going around, even at the height of the Sydney cases, why didn't Sydney take a heap of AZ instead of the Pfizer?
We have Moderna up here everywhere and very easy to get. Very popular to....
Old 09-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #15854
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
A rhetorical answer, there was no Pf available to most city people either earlier on but I, and many others vaxxed up.
... and many up in the country areas have vaxxed up with AZ too. My wife is vaxxed up with AZ. I suffer from blood clots and under advice from my Doctor I did not vax up with AZ.

All I am saying is that people are not anti-vaxxers in the Hunter Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
We have Moderna up here everywhere and very easy to get. Very popular to....
Moderna is only starting to be available in the area and it is being used.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #15855
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Plenty of Pfizer for St Joeys tof school at Hunters Hill at the time.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #15856
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Gees...got up early this morning and headed out for a hike. With the amount of people out and about, would not have guessed we were close to 2000 today.

Apparently he took his mask off in the car, then walked up to the press gallery. Found it odd he would wear a mask in the car! Who actually does that unless you are a taxi / uber driver?!
Dan’s obviously offside with ALL unions nowadays?
What’s $400 mean to him anyhow? (Vic taxpayers dosh at the end of the day)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 09-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #15857
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Dan’s obviously offside with ALL unions nowadays?
What’s $400 mean to him anyhow? (Vic taxpayers dosh at the end of the day)
Looks like it. CFMEU, Police, Teachers......just needs Ambos and Health Workers to top it off before next years election?

No cynics here thinking it could have been a stunt? Same time they announced mandatory masks for kids returning to class rooms, "See kids, not even the premier is exempt from masks"

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #15858
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Mates in qld hang **** on me every weekend, sending photos of pubs and clubs going abouts their usual business. Yet no spread.

I'm not very family with brissy, but I thought they love their condos and multi storey apartments? Or is that just gold coast?

Weather? Doesn't explain SA though.
Its because were compliant.
Im sure population density plays a part in the pace of spread but its through a 'do whatever i want' attitude and arrogance that it takes off in the first place.

If you take WA, SA or Tas and compare how they've suppressed it by quick, blanket lockdowns with good buy in by the people and compare that to the gradual tightening of restrictions in NSW its obvious why we have a different result.
That Victoria, or should i say greater metropolitan Melbourne has gone with the tougher stance yet still let it run rampant is clearly obvious of the air of arrogance which was never more evident than the St Kilda beach episode in the first wave and the recent protests and lack of compliance.

Delta doesnt care if Melbourne is a sporting mecca or that its the trendy centre of the universe, it'll infect and/or kill whoever falls within its reach.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #15859
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
All I am saying is that people are not anti-vaxxers in the Hunter Valley.
I should have said that the Hunter New England has a greater level of hesitantcy based on an interview I was listening to during the week but I can’t locate it to verify so I’ll just withdraw the statement.

Last edited by FairmontGS; 09-10-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #15860
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Just some light entertainment for those of us locked down in Melbourne.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #15861
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Well I hung out here in Perth because of the whole " AZ - stroke " issue, I had my first Pfizer jab and the second jab on 20th October, but I could afford to wait, if I lived back in Sydney and dident have existing health issues I would of been first on the list for anything, even snake venom if it worked, as you have read earlier my elder brother has had a recent stroke, now he was a AZ recipient along with his wife and daughter and her family.

And I did question him about this and he said he just wanted out of lockdown and was concerned because of ongoing medical, he's a pretty clued-up fellow too, his decision would of been well thought out too.

We even discussed blood thinners, not Warferin but simple aspirin, as soon as he knows what caused his stroke I will put it up here on the forum.

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-10-2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Autospell
Old 09-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #15862
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
  • Manhandling or arresting a person
  • Attending homes for domestic violence / disturbances
  • Peering through a car window ... "Driver's licence please!"
  • Attending protest marches
You forgot one!...Spitting....
Old 09-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #15863
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Looks like it. CFMEU, Police, Teachers......just needs Ambos and Health Workers to top it off before next years election?

No cynics here thinking it could have been a stunt? Same time they announced mandatory masks for kids returning to class rooms, "See kids, not even the premier is exempt from masks"
I think you may be spot on there T3, sounds just too logical really, eh.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #15864
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Delta doesnt care if Melbourne is a sporting mecca or that its the trendy centre of the universe, it'll infect and/or kill whoever falls within its reach.
Are you sure about that!
Old 09-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #15865
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could there be something to the effect of Vitamin D on Covid?
The theory is 20 mins of sun a day gives you more than enough Vitamin D, and that it has anti-inflammatory properties amongst other things.
Generally speaking Covid gets out of hand more in the south (Vic) and less as you go north (QLD)
Yes QLD has had its boarders closed but just giving a theory as to why out breaks disappear fairly quickly as they are more outdoors and less covered up during winter.
Without being racist it is another theory as to why some cultures suffer more as they cover up more and are exposed to less sun, hence a deficiency in Vitamin D.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #15866
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The theory is 20 mins of sun a day gives you more than enough Vitamin D, and that it has anti-inflammatory properties amongst other things.
Generally speaking Covid gets out of hand more in the south (Vic) and less as you go north (QLD)
Yes QLD has had its boarders closed but just giving a theory as to why out breaks disappear fairly quickly as they are more outdoors and less covered up during winter.
Without being racist it is another theory as to why some cultures suffer more as they cover up more and are exposed to less sun, hence a deficiency in Vitamin D.
There have been many clinical studies conducted around the world that suggests a deficiency in Vitamin D is prevalent in those patients testing Covid positive.

While no one is suggesting it is cure or something that will prevent you from getting Covid-19, there does appear to be some links to Vitamin D deficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7973108/

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng187
Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #15867
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
As listed following your post, there have been several studies that have found Vitamin D levels to be a very important contributor to how your body responds when infected with Covid.

For what it costs, it’s cheap insurance and certainly isn’t going to hurt you.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 12:04 AM   #15868
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
As listed following your post, there have been several studies that have found Vitamin D levels to be a very important contributor to how your body responds when infected with Covid.

For what it costs, it’s cheap insurance and certainly isn’t going to hurt you.

I would go hexachloroquine instead...just as good a theory...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 10-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #15869
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I forgot to mention that Victoria passed another milestone today - that being 900 deaths in total although 820 of them were last year and most of those in aged care. The 80 in 2021 compares with 425 in NSW this year but the NSW whole-of-pandemic total is 481.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #15870
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Pick and Payless reopens Monday morning for the fully vaccinamacated. The pilferers are hopefully ready with their proof of vaccination so they can fill pockets with window switches and globes.

The more I see of peoples’ behaviour the last few days with respect to the reality of outright proportion vaccinated against coronavirus in NSW, the more concern I have for the health trajectory we are upon. Testing is down again, the residential sites around me are not interested in QR compliance or Covid-safe workflow (I’ll take this as a general indication of cross-city practices), people are happily visiting inside each other’s houses, maskless, the one person shopping rule is abandoned…

I don’t understand why various restrictions weren’t loosened sequentially to chart the impact of each (for better real life metrics aiding future pandemic management) and improve our ability to stall a surge in cases requiring treatment. The regulation of movement between Greater Sydney and immediate regional areas will be harder to regulate now, too, due to sheer numbers of people legitimately milling about the fringes.
4 users like this post:
Closed Thread