Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #31
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yep, the only reason i'm still stuck in a bloody ancient AU is to pay off the house quicker....
Old 30-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
oh come on - everybody knows it's just a falcon!
: now you tell me 10 grand it is
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
how could you be bored of an FG??!?! everytime i mash the loud pedal on my dads GT i get a chubby! and then i get back in the AU and feel like im driving a taxi home :
Henri I pay $200 a week to have it in my driveway, I drive it 2 days a week if I'm lucky and any mod I want to do means I either a) lose warranty, b) have to pay minimum $1k+ to see any real improvement and c) get the damn thing tuned because of euroIV. Thats a lot of hoops to jump through when all I want to do might be say whack some hi flow cats on. With an AU for example I would chuck it on a hoist, bolt the cats in, drop it back down and happy days.

If i went back to an AU, i have a far better sounding V8 for a lot less cash, won't go as hard but who cares, can chuck a lumpy cam in it and have heaps of fun with it, do most of the work myself and STILL have some cash left over to buy another car if I wanted to.

See my point?
Old 30-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Valid point.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #35
james22
With da Warlords

I knew you would be back. hehehe. Quite honestly, what you just mentioned is precisely why I haven't bought a B or F series. Euro regs, tuning, and the dosh needed to make some power. And as you said all 3 go together in a little ball, with a big wad of cash.

AU's are just so much simpler. (well you gotta expect that, when the engine was on the ark lol)

P250 - Manual in black, and its happy days

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #36
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I'd have an XR5 too, but not as a replacement for my current car.

EL GT would be awesome Aust, would rip a mean skid too

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #37
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Grass certainly does seem greener on the other side.

Dollar for dollar though, I reckon the AU is still superb value.

I wonder how many people have "upgraded" only to find the buzz isn't as big as they expected?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I wonder how many people have "upgraded" only to find the buzz isn't as big as they expected?

GK
It's probably not that (not in my case anyway), its actually a complete rethink of my entire automotive 'habits' I guess. I love the FG to bits and if I got a $200/wk payrise it'd be staying in the garage and another AU going in next to it, but thats very unlikely to happen. So, for maximum 'BFYB' (bang for your buck), something like an AU is the go right now I think.
Old 30-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #39
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about this one b2tf???
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11290647
Old 30-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
It's probably not that (not in my case anyway), its actually a complete rethink of my entire automotive 'habits' I guess. I love the FG to bits and if I got a $200/wk payrise it'd be staying in the garage and another AU going in next to it, but thats very unlikely to happen. So, for maximum 'BFYB' (bang for your buck), something like an AU is the go right now I think.
I'm not rubbishing the FG, moreso the comments I made were more in mind for those who rubbish the AU and praise the B series to high heaven, then get one and realise the gap isn't anywhere near as large as they imagined.

Clearly the FG is way ahead.

Having said that, I drove a DLPG G6E a few weeks back. It was really nice, but I found myself being dazzled by all of the gadgets and information displays etc.

The performance was really good and miles ahead of my AUs, but to be really honest, I came away not as impressed as I imagined I would. Not 100% sure why, but just wasn't overwealmed with the experience.

In your case, $200 a week just sitting there doesn't make much sense.

Welcome back in advance! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Grass certainly does seem greener on the other side.

Dollar for dollar though, I reckon the AU is still superb value.

GK
Twelve months or so ago I came this close -> <- to buying a new Clubsport.

It was advanced to the stage where I was going in the next day to sign it up.

The night before that I had a bit of a think and worked out (duh!) that because I work from home my car mostly sits in the shed. It's not unusual for me not to drive it for a week (or more). When I do drive it (excluding holidays) it's usually 10mins here or there.

I worked out that over a twelve month period it would have cost me a ridiculous amount (I can't rem the figure) for each hour that I was actually driving the car.

So for me, even though a new car would be nice, the hourly rate is far too high :(
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #42
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once again i would say be careful thinking you are going to save a heap of money.
au 13000, maintainance over 5 years 10000, total 23000
fg 33000, maintainance over 5 years 0, total 33000 difference per week over 5 years $38.46. nowhere near $200 and if you had a bad run with au the fg could cost less
rego same,insurance same(can't work that one out but true),fuel au less but others say more.
10000 sounds alot for maintainance but last year i spent two grand on little things, clutch,power steer line,powersteer pump,trow out bearing,swaybar mounts,etc. still needs new plugs,leads,o2sensers,brakes,shocks,paint,interior etc. some years you wont spend much i realise, but soner or later it will be big things like motor 2-5g,gearbox 1-2g so i think 10g is ballpark for 5 years. oil and servicing,tyres etc left of both cars. that said i like the au's too just think about it, if it is just for the money
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
once again i would say be careful thinking you are going to save a heap of money.
fg 33000, maintainance over 5 years 0, total 33000 difference per week over 5 years $38.46. nowhere near $200 and if you had a bad run with au the fg could cost less
rego same,insurance same(can't work that one out but true),fuel au less but others say more.
10000 sounds alot for maintainance but last year i spent two grand on little things, clutch,power steer line,powersteer pump,trow out bearing,swaybar mounts,etc. still needs new plugs,leads,o2sensers,brakes,shocks,paint,interior etc. some years you wont spend much i realise, but soner or later it will be big things like motor 2-5g,gearbox 1-2g so i think 10g is ballpark for 5 years. oil and servicing,tyres etc left of both cars. that said i like the au's too just think about it, if it is just for the money
Where do you get that the maintainance on an FG is nothing, if thats your mech give me his number ill travel from Brisbane for that
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #44
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
There are so many flaws in your figures I honestly don't know where to start!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #45
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

ute for ute the AU is good value over the B and F series cars.. the old wheezer is good for the sound and a mid 13 all day... provided your are not a huge 6 speed manual fan you'd be happy in the Windsor imho.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #46
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Henri I pay $200 a week to have it in my driveway, I drive it 2 days a week if I'm lucky and any mod I want to do means I either a) lose warranty, b) have to pay minimum $1k+ to see any real improvement and c) get the damn thing tuned because of euroIV. Thats a lot of hoops to jump through when all I want to do might be say whack some hi flow cats on. With an AU for example I would chuck it on a hoist, bolt the cats in, drop it back down and happy days.

If i went back to an AU, i have a far better sounding V8 for a lot less cash, won't go as hard but who cares, can chuck a lumpy cam in it and have heaps of fun with it, do most of the work myself and STILL have some cash left over to buy another car if I wanted to.

See my point?
well thats nearly what i pay on my apartment every week... and i cant live in a ute... well properly.

very valid point!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
well thats nearly what i pay on my apartment every week... and i cant live in a ute... well properly.

very valid point!
Makes you think dunnit.

I dont for a second regret buying the FG - awesome car, love it to bits and as I have said numerous times, I would keep it if I wanted to. I can afford to pay for it and mod it, no worries there, but the thing that has made me think about all of this is that like I said, anything you want to do to an FG has heaps of hoops you have to jump through just to make the damn thing run ok. I miss being able to unbolt crap on the AU and clean it up, mod it whatever - and then just bolt it back together and away we go. FG - look at something funny and the computer will kick in. It is a PITA.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #48
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

b2tf - there was a time when most people could not afford or be able to mod an AU.
Couple of years from now, it will be easy to mod the FG. AU has heaps of R&D and a forum load of experiences as to what works and what doesn't. FG will be like that, but it takes time.

Or just buy that supercharged AU ute...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #49
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
b2tf - there was a time when most people could not afford or be able to mod an AU.
Couple of years from now, it will be easy to mod the FG. AU has heaps of R&D and a forum load of experiences as to what works and what doesn't. FG will be like that, but it takes time.

Or just buy that supercharged AU ute...
Youre absolutely correct but I am an impatient bugger

The blown AU looks alright and unfortunately for me it is close enough to go and have a look at.....
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #50
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone is coming back home to the AU,
the good ol days
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #51
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Where do you get that the maintainance on an FG is nothing, if thats your mech give me his number ill travel from Brisbane for that
i didn't say it was nothing 'oil and servicing ,tyres etc left of both cars'. because they are roughly the same at probably 1g a year
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #52
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
There are so many flaws in your figures I honestly don't know where to start!
please tell me because i spend alot of time thinking about upgrading to a fg from my current au. the only major flaw is the initial cost could be better spent on home morgage where extra interest saved would be huge.another thing is in 5 years the fg will be worth 15-20g while au 5g if you really care i will show you a total breakdown and you will see why nearly every business and clever with money inderviduals (not me obviously still have 2 au's!!!!) keep buying new cars every few years because,(as well as tax reasons obviously) new cars cost NEARLY NOTHING more than old ones

Last edited by cedric; 01-07-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #53
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
please tell me because i spend alot of time thinking about upgrading to a fg from my current au. the only major flaw is the initial cost could be better spent on home morgage where extra interest saved would be huge.another thing is in 5 years the fg will be worth 15-20g while au 5g if you really care i will show you a total breakdown and you will see why nearly every business and clever with money inderviduals (not me obviously still have 2 au's!!!!) keep buying new cars every few years because,(as well as tax reasons obviously) new cars cost NEARLY NOTHING more than old ones
I do see where you're going with the AU's needing maintenance - to a point this isnt a real concern to me because I can get the parts cheap through my second job and I would probably end up messing with those parts anyway.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #54
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is a good point ,when you fix something replace with something better, motor,wheels, stereo, what ever. i am in no way bashing au's i think they are the best modern falcon, i sold my ba2 xr8 and bought another au, it is just a bit frightening how much i have been spending on them lately and what they seem to be worth
Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #55
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
i didn't say it was nothing 'oil and servicing ,tyres etc left of both cars'. because they are roughly the same at probably 1g a year
Well theres your error, you said FG was nothing to service, thats what i pointed out
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #56
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Because for a start unless you are me you aren't going to need to replace that many things in that time frame.

Think about it, the Windsor will happily do many, many k's. Unless you are buying a flogged out high k version you won't need an engine. Keep maintenance up to the auto and you won't need to replace that.

Apart from consumables, suspension components and a few unforeseen items you won't need to do too much to it.

As for the FG;

Quote:
You did say $0, over 5 years a car will start requiring some consumables and unforeseen items.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #57
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The blown AU looks alright and unfortunately for me it is close enough to go and have a look at.....
Go on... have a looksie.... you know you WANT to...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #58
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
Go on... have a looksie.... you know you WANT to...
Agreed! Then you can drop into my place for a beer and you can look at my AU ute and go all wobbly at the knees...
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #59
b2tf
not here much anymore

Heheh, I havent seen your cow yet mate.....

Trying to see something up with that blown one, needs a bodykit and I am not a fan of the wheels though.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #60
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon
Everyone is coming back home to the AU,
the good ol days
Especially you. Yours never leaves home
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post