Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #31
b2tf
not here much anymore

Nice pickup, but seriously, if youve got the V8 sitting there, put it in or you'll regret it afterwards. Or sell it to Buckie too - package deal. Dash and a bit of donk to go behind it :hihi:.

To put the dash in would be harder than doing the engine swap, Ive heard of the engine swap being done in a day with the right tools. The dash basically involves gutting the entire front of the cabin.

As for that "little windsor" comment......you and I need to talk! : : ing_sm : :hihi:
Old 29-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
You're not thinking about your wagon are you?! Come and do mine instead!

All that will be flogged cheap, but will have to be with buyer removing - kinda makes it difficult between states!
Yep - thinking about my wagon for sure.

Depends on when you are going to do it/want it done. I may be able to get a long weekend down there, and bring it all back on a trailer. Only takes a few hours and an angle grinder to get the running gear out, and ECU should be a cinch - the wiring loom will be the difficult part.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Nice pickup, but seriously, if youve got the V8 sitting there, put it in or you'll regret it afterwards. Or sell it to Buckie too - package deal. Dash and a bit of donk to go behind it :hihi:.

To put the dash in would be harder than doing the engine swap, Ive heard of the engine swap being done in a day with the right tools. The dash basically involves gutting the entire front of the cabin.

As for that "little windsor" comment......you and I need to talk! : : ing_sm : :hihi:
I'm thinking though that engine swap may lead to insurance hassles - I know they were available from the factory, but they always seem to frown upon converted cars.

That, and the fact that mine's a S3, and the Lane is a S1, and legally you cannot put an older engine in a car - not that anyone would ever check though.

I know that getting a workshop to do it, will be fairly exxy too.

I'm not that talented when it comes to these things, and it seems like a lot of effort just for an exhaust note and a few kw's! They are so much nicer to drive than the 6's though aren't they?!

Plus, if I ever wanted some power, just turbo the 6.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #34
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yep - thinking about my wagon for sure.

Depends on when you are going to do it/want it done. I may be able to get a long weekend down there, and bring it all back on a trailer. Only takes a few hours and an angle grinder to get the running gear out, and ECU should be a cinch - the wiring loom will be the difficult part.
Pending my making up my mind about everything, we have some talking to do!

That is unless people like Austin keep encouraging me to do naughty things!

I'm in absolutely no hurry though, so happy to have this lot sitting around for a while, hell, it's not my garage space that's being wasted!
Old 29-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I'm thinking though that engine swap may lead to insurance hassles - I know they were available from the factory, but they always seem to frown upon converted cars.
Shannons are your friend.

Quote:
That, and the fact that mine's a S3, and the Lane is a S1, and legally you cannot put an older engine in a car - not that anyone would ever check though.
Im sure you already know it, but the engines never changed spec through the series, the non XR V8's were all 175kW regardless. But I do see your point.

Quote:
I'm not that talented when it comes to these things, and it seems like a lot of effort just for an exhaust note and a few kw's! They are so much nicer to drive than the 6's though aren't they?!
BLASPHEMY! Just think - while its out you can strip it down, put some decent heads on, a nice cam (drool)........

Quote:
Plus, if I ever wanted some power, just turbo the 6.
Yeah, just like everybody else...........
Old 29-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #36
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

You raise some good points there - stop trying to get me into even more trouble with the leader of the opposition though!

BTW, how on earth do you do multiple quotes like you did above in the 1 post?
Old 29-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #37
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, I don't need all of it. Can I just take 2 cylinders?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #38
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You raise some good points there - stop trying to get me into even more trouble with the leader of the opposition though!

you put [ QUOTE ] whatever you want to quote in here [ /QUOTE] with no spaces, you can even do it with a normal post if you really want, lol

like this
Quote:
BTW, how on earth do you do multiple quotes like you did above in the 1
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #39
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
She wont be the opposition for long. Chicks dig V8's :hihi:

Quote:
Very easy, just split up what bits you want to quote from the original post and put [ QUOTE] at the front and then [/ QUOTE] (no spaces) at the back.

Quote:
Just
Quote:
Quote:
This!
Old 29-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on the $$$$$$$$$,I wouldnt mind the driveline for my wagon as well.

Out of quriosity what ballpark $$$$$ did you pay for the car?
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #41
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Yeah true, her last barge was gen 3 powered and she liked that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
depending on the $$$$$$$$$,I wouldnt mind the driveline for my wagon as well.

Out of quriosity what ballpark $$$$$ did you pay for the car?
Just bear in mind with the engine & driveline, that buyer will need to remove.

Ballpark on the car is a fair way under 5k.

EDIT - look I did multiple quotes, yaaaayy!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM   #42
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Well, thanks to some very bad people (you know who you are!) I'm having thoughts about using this car for a V8 & LPG conversion to my wagon after all.

To be honest there is only a small chance that I'll go ahead with the engine conversion, but I'd like to make an informed choice.

The main things putting me off (and please note these are only my opinion) are:

-I'm guessing it's a huge amount of work,
-I'd probably have to pay a heap to get the job done,
-The fact that IMO I'm not going to get a whole lotta extra performace out of it,
-And I feel that they are a bit limited in their potential without cubic dollars. Flame suit on now!

On the plus side, I'd end up with a beautifully smooth motor with an exhaust note that no 6 could ever match! As a bonus I could use almost all of the gas gear other than lines and tank.

Anyone have any opinions on this, or any experience/knowledge in coverting an AU3 Futura wagon I6 to AU1 Fairlane V8 running gear?

As always, any advice is much apreciated!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #43
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
legally you cannot put an older engine in a car - not that anyone would ever check though.
Depends how you define "older". It may differ in Vic, but in NSW AFAIK you can put an engine in if it meets the car's original emissions ADR (or a later one). Pretty sure all the AU's met the Euro2-equivalent standard, so putting the S1 V8 into the S3 car wouldn't be a problem from that perspective as long as you used the V8's ECU.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #44
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Depends how you define "older". It may differ in Vic, but in NSW AFAIK you can put an engine in if it meets the car's original emissions ADR (or a later one). Pretty sure all the AU's met the Euro2-equivalent standard, so putting the S1 V8 into the S3 car wouldn't be a problem from that perspective as long as you used the V8's ECU.
Thanks mate. I was under the impression that it came down to the year, but if you're right, that would make things much better. Will check it out with Vicroads and post back at some stage for anyone considering anything similar.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #45
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Well, thanks to some very bad people (you know who you are!) I'm having thoughts about using this car for a V8 & LPG conversion to my wagon after all.

To be honest there is only a small chance that I'll go ahead with the engine conversion, but I'd like to make an informed choice.

The main things putting me off (and please note these are only my opinion) are:

-I'm guessing it's a huge amount of work,
-I'd probably have to pay a heap to get the job done,
-The fact that IMO I'm not going to get a whole lotta extra performace out of it,
-And I feel that they are a bit limited in their potential without cubic dollars. Flame suit on now!

On the plus side, I'd end up with a beautifully smooth motor with an exhaust note that no 6 could ever match! As a bonus I could use almost all of the gas gear other than lines and tank.

Anyone have any opinions on this, or any experience/knowledge in coverting an AU3 Futura wagon I6 to AU1 Fairlane V8 running gear?

As always, any advice is much apreciated!
Justin would you just stop looking for an excuse! :hihi:

Theoretically, best way to do it would be use the engine and box from the Fairlane, just check your tailshaft compatability with that one, but the boxes for the 6's and 8's are definitely different from memory.

I reckon you could do it in a day and worse comes to worse, hold a "come and help" day and invite Whoosha :.

I can tell you now that my V8 is FAR more economical than my parents old AU6 (and I dont drive Miss Daisy either), sounds better to boot, and has a lot more potential in terms of mods. Oh and did I mention the sound?!

By the way, how shot is the fuel door assembly on the 'Lane? Im looking for a setup off a sedan to play with converting it onto the ute.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #46
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I agree with b2tf. Ive got a S1 I6 and a S3 XR8 and the fuel economy is much the same. Do the engine and box conversion and you say your wagon is a ser 3 that means BA or Territory brakes will fit on it!! put the V8 in put big brakes on it and being a wagon the fairlane's are based on the wagon chassis if i remember correctly this would make most bits a straight swap!!! Even better source a manual for it!! I've never seen a V8 manual wagon in the AU's ford never made one to my knowledge.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
I've never seen a V8 manual wagon in the AU's ford never made one to my knowledge.
Last optional manual on a wagon was EL, and even then they're rare as. Ive seen 1 manual AU wagon and it is a weird car, apparently it was a prototype job done in 98 and sold through the auctions to a Ford employee. How true that is though I dont know.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #48
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Unfortunately most of the chics I know prefer the Holden v8's : I think I need to change my circle of lady friends.

Guess it doesn't matter since mine is only a 6 anyway.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #49
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Justin would you just stop looking for an excuse! :hihi:

Theoretically, best way to do it would be use the engine and box from the Fairlane, just check your tailshaft compatability with that one, but the boxes for the 6's and 8's are definitely different from memory.

I reckon you could do it in a day and worse comes to worse, hold a "come and help" day and invite Whoosha :.

I can tell you now that my V8 is FAR more economical than my parents old AU6 (and I dont drive Miss Daisy either), sounds better to boot, and has a lot more potential in terms of mods. Oh and did I mention the sound?!

By the way, how shot is the fuel door assembly on the 'Lane? Im looking for a setup off a sedan to play with converting it onto the ute.
Yeah, I'm expecting fuel consumption to be the same or better so no surprises there!
I must say the sound is probably the biggest attraction for me!

The main reason I'm so reluctant is because this'd be my first engine out/in job by myself (last one was at least 10 years ago as a helper so that doesn't count!)

I'm going to get a quote on the whole job from a trusted mechanic and see what he says - I'm guessing a few grand in labour though.

Motor, box & tailshaft would be used, and if i do go this way, would definitely do the dash conversion and get the traction control going as well.

Either that, or just admit that I'm out of my leaugue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
I agree with b2tf. Ive got a S1 I6 and a S3 XR8 and the fuel economy is much the same. Do the engine and box conversion and you say your wagon is a ser 3 that means BA or Territory brakes will fit on it!! put the V8 in put big brakes on it and being a wagon the fairlane's are based on the wagon chassis if i remember correctly this would make most bits a straight swap!!! Even better source a manual for it!! I've never seen a V8 manual wagon in the AU's ford never made one to my knowledge.
Territory brakes are already in the works either way, so that's all good!

Manual V8 wagon would be awesome, but that's definitely not going to happen!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #50
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Well, after alot of gunna, gunna, gunna type talking from me, I've done NOTHING!

Actually I lie, I did swap over the repeaters and 1 window switch - does that count?!

The car is still sitting gathering dust, and I've lost all inspiration for the project. Although I've got everything, the tools, and the space, as well as 3 ex-mechanic mates lined up to do it all in a day or two, all effort and cash is being soaked up by my other car.

So, it either sits more until I get inspired, I wreck it out (which I REALLY don't wanna do) or I just sell it whole.

Inspire me people!

I did start it and take it for a quick drive the other day, and a V8 would be nice!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #51
b2tf
not here much anymore

For god's sake stop buggerising around and put the damn thing in!

Or failing that, sell me the leather handbrake and the engine and I will stroke it and use the bottom end of it for the ute.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #52
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
For god's sake stop buggerising around and put the damn thing in!

Or failing that, sell me the leather handbrake and the engine and I will stroke it and use the bottom end of it for the ute.
I could do either of your suggestions!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #53
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Dont loose faith in the project... think about how much it will impress/ off people?

Let the idea's flow, let the research happen... and start bragging about mods!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #54
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Well, I finally got motivated.... and listed the thing on ebay - 99c starting, no reserve!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....Category=35227
Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #55
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone on here buys it sell me the woodgrain headlight switch will you, I'm not going to buy the whole car to get it. Good luck with the sale.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #56
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
If anyone on here buys it sell me the woodgrain headlight switch will you, I'm not going to buy the whole car to get it. Good luck with the sale.
And sell me the leather handbrake & gear knob, plus the chrome handles! Oh, wait
Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #57
aye you
The Origional, The Best

wimp just convert the wagon, you know you want too....i'm sure you could wrangle a few of the boys from here to help you/show you the ropes
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #58
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And sell me the leather handbrake & gear knob, plus the chrome handles! Oh, wait
I don't get it.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #59
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
I don't get it.
Twas a joke. A lame one.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #60
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
wimp just convert the wagon, you know you want too....i'm sure you could wrangle a few of the boys from here to help you/show you the ropes
You're right, I do want to, but between the kids, running a business, renovating, and working on my EB, something's gotta give!

Ah well, hopefully the ebay sale falls through (hell, most of mine have in the past!) and I can leave it at work and procastinate for another year!