Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Barra in the US

Thought this was interesting. An engine builder in the US building a barra turbo to fit into an RX7 drag car.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...ra-in-the-u-s/

An Australian In The States — Building A Ford Barra In The U.S.

By Greg Acosta |March 24, 2020

When you think of an “import” engine, you often think Japanese or European. When you add in the qualifiers of “inline-six” and “never available in the United States,” chances are your mind races to something like the Japanese Nissan RB series of engines. Certainly not an Australian engine, and certainly not something with a Blue Oval on the valve cover, right?

Over the past few years, it seems like Ford Australia’s hidden gem (at least in the U.S. market) has become less of a secret. We’ve seen several sources for the importation of the Barra engine pop-up in the last year. For the uninitiated, the Ford Barra family of engines were inline-six and V8 engines from Ford Australia manufactured from 2002 through 2016.

More often than not, “Barra” refers to one of the 4.0-liter, inline-six-cylinder variants of the engine. From the factory, all of the Barra engine variants come with a dual-overhead-camshaft cylinder head with four valves per cylinder and variable camshaft timing. The engines came in a number of naturally aspirated options ranging from 244 to 288 horsepower, and turbocharged variants ranging from 322 to 436 horsepower in OEM trim.

When it comes to modern inline-six-cylinder powerhouses, Ford isn’t usually the first manufacturer to come to mind. However, the Australian Barra engine is a stout platform on which to build.

A Booming Aftermarket

Obviously, any engine with these kinds of chops from the factory is more likely to enjoy a very healthy dose of aftermarket support. The Barra is no different, other than never being exported outside of Australia by Ford. However, that hasn’t stopped them from showing up in the U.S. As you’re about to see, us Yanks can turn them into serious powerhouses, too.

What started merely as a fascination for Chris Porter, the owner of Forced Induction Pros, has ended up turning into quite an impressive project. One which has the potential to expose a whole new segment of enthusiasts to the modern Blue-Oval inline-six; the Barra.

“There is not much Voodoo going on here, the engine is simply beefy. – Jimmy Bowling, Buschur Racing“

“Over years of watching videos on YouTube, I was interested in a big inline-six making big power,” says Porter. “I had the RX-7 set up for a 4G63 when a Barra engine turned up in Florida. It was my chance to compete with bigger displacement cars, without having to do a cookie-cutter 2JZ or LS build. It seemed like it was meant to be, so I jumped in blind and hoped for the best.”

In order to turn the stock Barra engine into a suitable four-digit-horsepower monster, Porter turned to someone well-known to us, Jimmy Bowling of Buschur Racing. He might be familiar to many of you as the engine-builder for Team Stinky Pinky from Season 1 of Horsepower Wars $10K Drag Shootout.

While the Barra is a well-served platform, getting those parts into the U.S. can be a bit of a challenge — one that Bowling was more than up to taking on. In fact, this project has actually opened up some new sources for Barra parts in the U.S. “A lot of the engine internals can now be purchased through us here in the States from a lot of the main engine parts suppliers,” says Bowling.

Bowling did a full Hard Blok fill on the Barra’s OEM block before machining. As you can see, the cylinders also got a fresh hone after the .030-inch overbore, for a final bore size of 3.652 inches.

Going Down Under

Starting with an OEM Barra block, Bowling performed a full Hard Blok fill to ensure that the OEM block would hold up to the rigors imparted by well-north of 1,000 horsepower. Once All In Racing Engines — another of Bowling’s enterprises — finished machining the block, in went the OEM Barra crankshaft. Using an OEM crank was a calculated risk taken by Porter, after much deliberation.

“Results seem to vary,” says Porter. “But, I have seen Benny’s Custom Works Cresta make 1,247 whp on a stock crank, and Corey Darke’s Mustang make 1,800 wheel-horsepower on a stock crank. Billet options are available, but that didn’t seem necessary just yet.”

It was a calculated choice to use the stock crankshaft, as the beefy OEM unit has been proven to upwards of 1,800 wheel-horsepower. Upgrading to ARP main studs also helps increase the power-holding ability of the stock parts.

The OEM crankshaft rides on a set of ACL race bearings in the mains as well as in the CP-Carrillo Bullet-Series connecting rods. Made from forged 4330M steel, the U.S.-made Bullet rods come outfitted with H-11 tool-steel fasteners and a design that maximizes strength while minimizing weight.

Attached to those are custom CP pistons, which measure 3.652 inches in diameter (.030 inch larger than stock), which only stands to reason, given the rods being used. Made from 2618 aluminum, the pistons feature CP’s clip-cuts to deburr and unshroud the valves. CP provided a plasma-moly-coated ductile-iron top ring, a cast-iron taper-faced second ring, and standard-tension oil rings.

Using beefy 0.180-inch-wall CP 9310 steel wrist pins to connect the pistons to the rods, there should be no problem handling all the cylinder pressure the turbo can make. Providing oil to the combination is an OEM Ford oil pump housing, outfitted with Boundry Pump Divison billet-steel replacement gears, coupled with the OEM pickup and pan.

All said and done, the short-block measures out to just over 245 cubic inches (or 4.027 liters) of displacement from the factory 3.910 stroke and .030-inch overbore.

CP-Carrillo was the go-to for rods and pistons. Using Carriillo Bullet-series rods, .180-inch-wall wrist pins, and custom CP pistons with CP’s ring pack, the assembly should be able to handle all the power thrown at it with ease.

Barra Top End

Starting with an OEM Barra cylinder head, Bowling performed some pocket porting by hand. Then Bowling fitted a set of Supertech EV8 stainless-steel intake valves, coated with Black Nitride. “Nitrided valves offer a higher surface hardness while maintaining ductility of the stainless steel, so they are not brittle,” says Bowling. “They also offer a smoother surface finish resulting in less friction in the guide.”

On the exhaust side, in preparation for a significant amount of boost, Bowling opted for Inconel 751 (nickel-based alloy) exhaust valves. To control the valves, a set of Supertech’s Beehive springs with 91 pounds of pressure on the seat were used, along with the associated steel retainers.

The Barra’s cylinder head received a pocket port and some valve seat work to accommodate the Supertech nitrided stainless-steel intake and Inconel exhaust valves.

Topping off the cylinder heads are a set of Atomic Performance Products Stage 5 Battlemaster camshafts with .510-inch of lift on both intake and exhaust along with 241 degrees of intake duration at .050-inch, and 236 degrees of exhaust at .050.

The suggested camshaft lobe separation is 112 to 114 degrees. To achieve that, Bowling opted for a set of Atomic Perormance’s Vernier-adjustable camshaft sprockets with an OEM timing chain. Factory Barra 2.04:1 rocker arms and hydraulic lifters round out the impressive valvetrain.

Holding the cylinder head to the block is an off-the-shelf product in Austrailia that had to be shipped over — a set of Atomic H-13 tool steel head studs. However, Bowling has since worked with ARP to be able to offer U.S.-made kits to domestic customers. So they will now be an off-the-shelf part here in the States, as well.

Complementing the aggressive cams, are OEM Ford 2.04:1 rocker arms and hydraulic lifters. It might seem odd, but it’s a proven combination Down Under.

Fuel, Air, and Spark

The other star of this engine combination is the BorgWarner S400 80mm SX-E turbocharger. Pushed hard, it will make an expected 40psi of boost. In order to funnel all of that boost into the Barra’s intake ports, Bowling opted for a DIY intake manifold kit from Custom Alloy Welding with a 90mm K-Tuned throttle body.

Feeding the turbine side of the turbocharger is a custom-fabricated turbo manifold from Forced Induction Pros. At the same time, an Aeromotive mechanical fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator combination will keep the Fuel Injector Development 2,000 cc/min fuel injectors fed with One Ethanol R fuel. IGN-1A smart coils will keep the spark lit, while a FuelTech FT500 controls everything.

Bowling feels the engine should support 1,500-plus horsepower easily. Now, having built one, he has more insight into the Barra. “I would advise the average homebuilder, or even a shop for that matter, to make friends with some Australians,” says Bowling. “But, there is not much Voodoo going on here, the engine is simply beefy. There are even some things I picked up on that are similar to other Ford products, such as the Modular engines.”

Porter agrees, saying: “It is a very long and large engine, but at the end of the day, it’s not as exotic as everyone makes it seem. The biggest hurdles currently are most everyday gaskets and replacement parts are in Australia. With that said, the community of trusted members is continuing to grow, and parts for the Barra will become more available as time goes on.”

As fans of the Barra, we’ll be watching along as Porter buttons up the final details of the car and gets the combination on the dyno. We’re excited to see this particular engine’s numbers, as well as an overall increase in the American popularity of Ford Australia’s inline-six.

The Barra engine will initially be force-fed 40 pounds of boost by a BorgWarner 80mm S400 SX-E turbocharger. After initial testing, that might change, but Bowling says that the engine should be able to handle 1,500-plus horsepower with ease.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Barra in the US

It's really sad to know that THE best (IMO) engine that Australia has ever produced, is no more.

Wonder why another manufacturer hasn't bought the rights to this engine (if Ford Australia is willing of course). Would be a perfect RWD engine for the likes of Jaguar, Mazda or even Hyundai, Kia. Hyundai and Kia are known for purchasing the rights to the tooling and designs to produce engines that have been discontinued by other manufacturers (Toyota, Mazda, etc). They save on the initial R&D and continue to improve on them.

There's a rumour that Mazda are working on a straight 6, possibly to be introduced in a future RWD Mazda6 platform. They should've just bought the rights to the Barra. A RWD Mazda6 MPS with a Barra Turbo would be a nice car indeed.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
It's really sad to know that THE best (IMO) engine that Australia has ever produced, is no more.

Wonder why another manufacturer hasn't bought the rights to this engine (if Ford Australia is willing of course). Would be a perfect RWD engine for the likes of Jaguar, Mazda or even Hyundai, Kia. Hyundai and Kia are known for purchasing the rights to the tooling and designs to produce engines that have been discontinued by other manufacturers (Toyota, Mazda, etc). They save on the initial R&D and continue to improve on them.

There's a rumour that Mazda are working on a straight 6, possibly to be introduced in a future RWD Mazda6 platform. They should've just bought the rights to the Barra. A RWD Mazda6 MPS with a Barra Turbo would be a nice car indeed.
I thought the tooling was scrapped already?

With all respect to the mighty Barra, it was well past modern standards. It was far to bulky and heavy for a modern engine, compromising it's ability to used in various applications. It's length and height would also cause issues in designing modern crash safety structures. The Barra was a mighty strong and reliable engine but time had passed it by.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

They have a following in Sweden as well

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=39420

Old 25-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
QIKESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Sadly nothing left of the Casting Plant and all the molding equipment now.
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few more Yank Barras:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RobRabonPhotography/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/FuelInjectionSucks
Old 28-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Tell that to the Australian motoring journalists (I use that word with caution), who use to continually bag the Ford Barra. Fairfax media was the worst in bagging the Barra (and Ford in general), and Toby Hagon use to pop up quite a bit with his negative comments as well. The so called journalists always wanted something aluminium and V6.

Just because a motor is stout, in-line six, and has a heritage does not mean it is a bad donk.

Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now ....

EDIT: I use to enjoy giving my old Territory wide open throttle when going down the on-ramp to the freeway. It was as smooth as, and felt like an aircraft running down the runway for takeoff (just not as noisy).
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Tell that to the Australian motoring journalists (I use that word with caution), who use to continually bag the Ford Barra. Fairfax media was the worst in bagging the Barra (and Ford in general), and Toby Hagon use to pop up quite a bit with his negative comments as well. The so called journalists always wanted something aluminium and V6.

Just because a motor is stout, in-line six, and has a heritage does not mean it is a bad donk.

Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now ....

EDIT: I use to enjoy giving my old Territory wide open throttle when going down the on-ramp to the freeway. It was as smooth as, and felt like an aircraft running down the runway for takeoff (just not as noisy).
Exactly. But check out the GM Alloytec, now considered a joke in the aftermarket and even amongst those looking for a reliable cheap car. Timing chains anyone?

I’ve never technically had a Barra, but I’ve loved all my SOHC powered cars. I love the lazy way they drive, and how if you even breathe on the accelerator pedal there is such a rush of torque. Even the fuel consumption ain’t that bad on the highway (which is where I rack up the K’s).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
MercuryT
Banned

Very interesting read.

The BarraT would be an excellent base for that purpose (let alone it being pretty awesome in itself)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post
Exactly. But check out the GM Alloytec, now considered a joke in the aftermarket and even amongst those looking for a reliable cheap car. Timing chains anyone?

I’ve never technically had a Barra, but I’ve loved all my SOHC powered cars. I love the lazy way they drive, and how if you even breathe on the accelerator pedal there is such a rush of torque. Even the fuel consumption ain’t that bad on the highway (which is where I rack up the K’s).
I've never driven a turbo barra, which is what most of the fuss is about, but I have a stock BA and also had an alloytec and other high rpm i6s like BMWs.

I'll start of with the good to calm everyone, there's a facebook group called 'barra the world' I've been looking at for a long time. I don't have a fb account but after the nag screen I can still check on projects linked there. Older falcons and commodore of course, but often the odd merc, bmw, nissan ford model t
https://www.facebook.com/BarraTheWorldOfficial/

The commo alloytec I bought for a cheap family hack (had air bags all around and I felt safer than my current EL at the time), was an older VZ, had the thicker chain so no stretch and served me well for 300,000kms. Interior fell apart just as quick as my BA ute though. Probably had less rust too than a falcon gets. But feels like a tin can and doesn't have an as easy to use cruise or instant fuel economy read out.

So when new -so rust doesn't matter - I have no idea why au motoring journos rated the commo better than a falcon. Sure it could use 1l/100km less than a barra if trying but you'd need to rev it up to match the torque from a barra to keep up with one. The barra just has torque and you can go places without trying, the alloytec you have to burn fuel to keep up - so only more economical if you were happy going slow in a tin can.

That said there's a lot of fun to be had in smaller 6s where you keep the revs up compared to the barra. End of the day though if you're trying to equal performance/speed the fuel economy is going to be the same.

Some like the lazy big ford for torque, others like a screaming 6 and keeping momentum and speed up. I like them all and that's why I owned so many sixes vn, eb, el, vz, ba, bmw etc.
One day I'm going to barra swap something. Could be a BMW, a jag, or even my recent crazy idea of an import granada

Last edited by oldel; 29-03-2020 at 04:34 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago I read that a protoytpe Barra was found in the US after Ford Detroit sold one in a scrap sale. all I could find was this and the link in this link is dead http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index....-barra-engine/
Old 29-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

With all respect to the mighty Barra, it was well past modern standards. It was far to bulky and heavy for a modern engine, compromising it's ability to used in various applications. It's length and height would also cause issues in designing modern crash safety structures. The Barra was a mighty strong and reliable engine but time had passed it by.
You're right regarding all that and I guess it reached it's time . Probably due to lack of coin to do so . But..... Thank God we have it .So happy to have mine too . Good to see that it's finally getting spoken about outside our shores and with a real fan base it seems .

The less spoken about SOHC is also gaining fans in the U.S. too ..This bloke has made a bunch of videos on his project . This is an early one . He's actually totally rebuilt the engine itself .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAcBraPJTdc&t=4s...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's another U.S. Barra going into a Fox-body Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oa6ByRGBmY&t=316s
Old 30-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Years ago I read that a protoytpe Barra was found in the US after Ford Detroit sold one in a scrap sale. all I could find was this and the link in this link is dead http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index....-barra-engine/
That must have been a very, very early experimental BARRA. Still has the AU oil pump and auxilary shaft, and not the proper crank mounted oil pump.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GR8 too see!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Werent the DOHC barras also sold in the US as an industrial motor?
I've got scanned copies of the brochures somewhere at home
Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrdHqUoOcw...albeit in Europe this time..

Last edited by roddy1960; 04-04-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #18
MercuryT
Banned

How about a Barra T in an older Ford Ute?

Will it not fit?

Would absolutely fly
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bit of friendly rivalry:

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by GasoLane; 05-04-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed Video
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I mentioned before in the thread but not only would the Barra become more popular in the U.S . but the older Intech and VCT SOHC too . Been seeing some ridiculous power increase figures for the older girls of late provided a proper upgrade to key components are done as with the Barra .

This U.S. bloke loves the Aussie Ford engines and he's done quite a few vids on his progress with the old Intech from an AU I believe ..Building it to get somewhere near 1000 rwhp.. Buying stuff from here too but also making some clever upgrades to the thrust bearing etc as well ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19BUpM9xFo&t=382s ..

He calls himself Hot Rod Herasy .
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Werent the DOHC barras also sold in the US as an industrial motor?
I've got scanned copies of the brochures somewhere at home
Yes they were. Not sure how many actually were sold though.