Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: vFacts December 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Most likely they will overprice it, as usual. But i'm interested in seeing how the Escape Hybrid goes, cause the RAV4 Hybrid has sold very, very well.

Plus it's also the first Ford hybrid to be sold here.

Someone else mentioned Puma was a strong chance to come here. Would love to see it priced and targeted at CX-3.
What Ford has done here with pricing, they're starting to do in the USA
with Explorer and Escape prices.....and sales are starting to turn to poo.

Good news though, the Ranger has soared to 14,400 sales last month
clubbing Colorado down to 8,800. F Series, over 89,000 sales in December.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Clearly, Ford's sales strategy with other models is not working so well,
why not back Ranger in for the win and see how wide the net can be cast,
put some pressure on Hilux's 4x2 tradie sales and see what happens.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
F Series, over 89,000 sales in December.
Australia will never comprehend the sheer sales volumes of F series.

Once you understand that juggernaut you'll have a much better idea of how small some other segments are, particularly in rhd markets.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Once you understand that juggernaut you'll have a much better idea of how small some other segments are, particularly in rhd markets.
Ranger is Ford's second most profitable vehicle, they need to think like F Truck
and keep filling up the order books with as many differnt types as possible.

Do what other manufacturers can't or won't and stop playing follow the vanilla..
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #35
Eurotrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I think Ford could do well with new Escape, if it’s priced right and marketed well.

Mitsubishi could struggle this year if they are forced to pass on price rises, as the vehicles will struggle at higher prices.

Kia Seltos will do well but there will be a hell of a lot of substitution with Cerato and Sportage.

Subaru will struggle with an ageing lineup and new Outback still a year away.

Actually think Holden will hit 9, at least overtake Honda.

Isuzu fell for the first time in a decade last year, and that’s with a lot of registrations in December. I think they will remain flat

Still reckon Ford has the most potential out of all brands
When does the Escape land in Australia? Ford Australia should take a leaf out of Mazda Australia's book and watch what they do when it comes to releasing a new car here. The Mazda CX-30 will launch in late February, but have been advertising it on the TV since the end of November last year! Now that's some build up! Would Ford Australia ever do anything like that for the new Escape? Ford struggle to advertise anything other than the Ranger and Everest in Australia, surely people have heard of them by now?, so I can't see them giving the Escape any special treatment. But like what you've said, if it's actually advertised and priced well, it could do OK, but I'm not counting on it. It's Ford Australia we're talking about here.

I see your point with regards to the Seltos. Already, I've seen a drop off of orders coming through for the Cerato and Sportage where I work, so there is something in that.

I'd be surprised if Subaru doesn't bounce back. They have the new Hybrid VX and Forester launching now and the Forester in general is proving popular. They were hit with production delays which have been sorted, so I'd expect to see them do better this year.

I still believe Isuzu will do well in 2020. The new D-Max is going to sell well, I have no doubt.

Holden have no new product coming in 2020, so I can't see them improving on 2019's position or sales levels. Apart from the Chevrolet stuff, Silverado 1500, Tahoe and Suburban being added to the Camaro and Silverado 2500/3500 conversion line in Melbourne, and along with the Corvette, none of that is going to add any significant volume. And how does any of Chevrolet's offerings get counted each month for Vfacts? They couldn't be counted in Holden's tally? Or do we start seeing Chevrolet listed in each months sales results, just like RAM does?
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 12:00 AM   #36
Eurotrash

Quote:

I thought I read somewhere that Ford in the US will start to reduce pricing on their vehicles, buy leaving out features that people generally don't use anymore?
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 AM   #37
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Mustang would sell more if it had a 4 door version, and a ute version, and a wagon version, and a panel van...
And a V10.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Ford in the US will start to reduce pricing on their vehicles, buy leaving out features that people generally don't use anymore?
Sales numbers are reducing in the US as Ford keeps pushing up prices there
as a way of getting more return off fewer vehicles.

Hackett was talking about decontenting as a way of countering sticker shock,
but really it's just corporate speak for maintaining prices while deleting
Item they think buyers won't miss all while pocketing the difference.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #39
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Australia's population in late 60s/early 70s was half of what it is today. So double the XW/XY/XA numbers to do a like-for-like comparison.
You have to also factor in far more choice in that population doubling...how many more brands and models came in as the population doubled?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I did read that this morning, that new Escape and Explorer hadn't improved in sales. Some people think the styling is also a factor. Maybe moreso with the Escape as it looks a bit bland imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Clearly, Ford's sales strategy with other models is not working so well,
why not back Ranger in for the win and see how wide the net can be cast,
put some pressure on Hilux's 4x2 tradie sales and see what happens.
Special additions are where it's at. Currently with FX4, with more stuff to come to try to boost sales.

Slowly chipping away at Hilux. It dropped something like 7-8% last year while Ranger dropped 3-4%.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did read that this morning, that new Escape and Explorer hadn't improved in sales. Some people think the styling is also a factor. Maybe moreso with the Escape as it looks a bit bland imo.
I do know that Equinox and RAV4 have been selling the house down while Ford has been struggling to move Escape and Explorer but big Expedition sales are up.

Quote:
Special additions are where it's at. Currently with FX4, with more stuff to come to try to boost sales.
Good to see FX4 in there.

Quote:
Slowly chipping away at Hilux. It dropped something like 7-8% last year while Ranger dropped 3-4%.
Interesting to watch if temporary or continuing trend..tough times.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I do know that Equinox and RAV4 have been selling the house down while Ford has been struggling to move Escape and Explorer but big Expedition sales are up.

Good to see FX4 in there.

Interesting to watch if temporary or continuing trend..tough times.
With the total market down 8 or so % Ranger did ok. Sales were lost from all segments of the market so it's not just private buyers who refrained from buying. They are predicting the market will stay about even this year. Already seeing the drop off start to even out with december sales down only 4%.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I think its fair to say that this past 12 months has seen some sharp deals on Ranger, so whilst a 4% drop in sales is good compared to the markets 8% fall, its not entirely without influence and this needs to be considered, especially when their supposed mantra is fewer sales at higher profits, giving away free servicing and thousands of dollars worth of accessories has to come from somewhere.
The Hilux has been discounted for ever, which has insulated it from the negative press in recent times.

Ranger will always be a strong contender and not surprisingly the best seller in the segment which attracts private buyers, 4x4's, as it is the sexiest of the standard dual cabs by the length of the Flemington straight, if I was to drop $55k on a ute, I wouldn't go past the local Ford dealer.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #44
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If I'm not mistaken, Ranger 4x4 was up or the year.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #45
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Australia suddenly comprehends the sheer volume of F Series sales and at AUD0.69US begins to make dash mats for F Series...
Old 09-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #46
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Ranger 4x4 was up or the year.
I hope so - Ranger is by far the better ute than the Hilux. When people realise that the Hilux (like most of the Toyota range) is like ordering a pie and finding out it has no filling they will hopefully shift.

There is also the Hilux effect - "i've always had one, so i will continue to buy one."
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #47
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whenever I see a review of the new Explorer I always wince at the front styling, something about the headlights/grill and whole front just not seeming balanced. The 2019 model just highlights (imho) the backward step in looks. And Kia/Hyundai offer very good values competitors.

Then you look at the Lincoln Aviator external design and I literally drool, let's not even talk about interior....how did they get it so right? Do the current Lincoln designers only pass Ford designers at the front gate house?
And finally who would think at the moment Ford US designers do interiors better then their Euro collegues...

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #48
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F Series, over 89,000 sales in December., thats seems like a decent # .
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #49
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I hope so - Ranger is by far the better ute than the Hilux. When people realise that the Hilux (like most of the Toyota range) is like ordering a pie and finding out it has no filling they will hopefully shift.

There is also the Hilux effect - "i've always had one, so i will continue to buy one."
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/201...ng-4x4s-vfacts

Click the link for sales figures.
Ranger 4x4 2019 - 37004, 2018 - 36883
Hilux 4x4 2019 - 36325, 2018 - 38580.

The 10 best-selling 4x4s in 2019

By Tristan Tancredi, 06 Jan 2020 News

2019 best-selling 4x4s VFACTS feature
We reveal the best-selling 4x4 vehicles of 2019.

THE Ford Ranger has stamped 2019 shut with a comprehensive victory on the 4x4 2019 sales charts.

The Blue Oval ute finished off the year with a total of 37,004 (4x4) sales, edging out its long-term nemesis – the Toyota Hilux – by a not insignificant 679 units. The Hilux was the best-selling 4x4 in 2018, but sales dropped in 2019 by 5.8 per cent; reflective of overall market trends.

Interestingly, Ford sold more Ranger 4x4s in 2019 than it did in 2018, bucking a trend in the market which saw a dramatic drop in new vehicle sales. Case in point, 90,244 fewer new vehicles were purchased in 2019 (a year-to-date drop of 7.8 per cent), and 12,337 fewer LCV vehicles were purchased during that same time.

Despite the drop-off in sales, the LCV segment experienced annual growth of 0.6 per cent to claim a 21.2 per cent share of the overall new vehicle market.

“2019 reflects a tough year for the Australian economy, with challenges including tightening of lending, movements in exchange rates, slow wages growth and, of course, the extreme environmental factors our country is experiencing,” said Tony Weber, the chief executive of the FCAI.

Made with Flourish
It was business as usual on the monthly 4x4 charts, with the Hilux, Ranger and Triton once again occupying the podium. Isuzu’s D-Max also ended the decade with a flourish, shifting 1394 units in December and climbing to fourth spot on the charts.

Made with Flourish
The Toyota Hilux (4x2/4x4) was once again the best-selling vehicle on the annual charts, registering 47,649 sales in 2019. The Ford Ranger (4x2/4x4) closed out the year in second spot with 40,960 sales, while the Corolla trailed in with a total of 30,468 sales.

With Ford Australia gearing up to bring V8 power to its local Ranger Raptor, perhaps buyers may pocket their hard-earned in anticipation. It’ll be interesting to see how sales pan out in the immediate future … keep your eyes peeled!
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #50
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The monthly summary for December is now uploaded with thanks to an anonymous member who kindly provided the VFACTs raw data.

The supplementary data along with the 4th quarter segment review and annual review will be posted over the next couple of days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Supplementary Stats for Q4 are now available in the Tech portal.

Observatio Facta Rotae

8 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #52
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The Annual Segment Analysis is also now uploaded into the Tech Portal.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #53
unkey

Russ thank you for your usual excellent work.
However please can we have the sales figures of the medium car segment ,both charts give the percentages of each model.
Many thanks
Cheers Anthony
unkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #54
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Well we have had 4 Hilux Twin Cab utes and all have been faultless and have great resale value. Obviously Australian Sales figures agree..........
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #55
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

I constantly surprises me how many people fail to understand why Toyota sells so well. Most people are not car people. Your average Hilux buyer doesn't care that "their pie has no filling". The Hilux suits their needs and that is all they care about.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 12:19 AM   #56
prydey
Rob

Popular doesn't always equal better.
Old 19-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #57
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkey View Post
Russ thank you for your usual excellent work.
However please can we have the sales figures of the medium car segment ,both charts give the percentages of each model.
Many thanks
Cheers Anthony
Fixed.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #58
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Popular doesn't always equal better.
I'm sure Ford would love to be as popular as Toyota in this country........
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #59
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The Annual Summary is now uploaded into the Tech Portal.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #60
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pie may have no filling, but if you were to leave that pie and a competitor's pie on the shelf for 10, 20 even 30 years, the Toyota pie would still act like and be a pie long after the others have been consumed by mould and their fillings eaten away by bacteria leaving a great smear on the table.

(Notwithstanding recent Toyota DPFs which are like finding your pie is full of cockroaches)