Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Holden want extra 265mil to stay

Well holden have put a figure on it.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...a-265m-to-stay

Quote:
Holden is pushing for an extra $265 million from the federal government to help it keep building cars in Australia.

The car maker is asking the Rudd government for the cash on top $275 million already pledged in federal and state aid, The Australian has reported.

The figure's a lot higher than the $60 million figure previously reported that Holden was seeking from the government.

Holden wants to secure the deal with Canberra before the upcoming election in case Labor loses and the Coalition refers industry assistance to the Productivity Commission.

Holden has said it costs more than $3000 extra to make a car in Australia than overseas.

Ford has already decided to stop local manufacturing in 2016.

Industry Minister Kim Carr on Thursday said negotiations with Holden were continuing.

But he said the government was not in the business of "having private conversations and then broadcasting them".

As well as negotiating with governments, Holden is also in the process of slashing 400 jobs at its Adelaide operations and negotiating a new labour agreement.

Workers will be asked to vote on any changes in August, in time for Holden to put a new business case to its General Motors parent company in September
In short if you want us to stay here building cars here is what we want no strings attached.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default Re: Holden want extra 265mil to stay

Unfortunately, it's quite clear that it is over for Holden.

At least Ford made the decision.

Holden are the kings of spin.

I have no doubt that the decision to withdraw has already been made, regardless of whether they get this money or not.

Stop stringing people along with your fancy VF commercials - say it already.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahhh thats not bad. $265 million to save 1750 manufacturing jobs. Thats only another $150,000 for each job.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I'm all for supporting Holden but I think it will just be an expensive bandaid- how long is it going to last them? It isn't a long term solution. It's too easy to import cars here.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least Holden is going down fighting!! I think it is better to ask & be told no, then not to ask at all & just close up. I respect what Holden is trying to do.

They just need to survive to the introductions of the next "all new" plat forms & then hopefully some real change is made with laws & the world itself might be very different place come 2020, there might just be a bright future for them.

It is just a same Ford has not even tried to be a part of that.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
BroadyFord

I don't think that article is accurate.

Holden yesterday confirmed that the $60 million it was seeking was "well wide of the mark" but they would be seeking assistance in the form of other incentives rather than cash handouts. I think even Holden knows that asking for an extra $200 million+ will not be viewed favorably by both government and the public.

What's clear however is that the next 2-3 months will decide the future of what remains of the entire car industry.

I think it's line ball.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226677361868
This blokes got the answer, and he wants to run the country !!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If we put that figure on the table what else can we build for that money?
A regional hospital or 3, improved transport where its needed, low cost housing to help with the population growth?

How about a huge building project to invest in the future? As much as I don't want to see Holden workers out of a job I believe it will just prolong the inevitable.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Ahhh thats not bad. $265 million to save 1750 manufacturing jobs. Thats only another $150,000 for each job.

There are alot more jobs than that involved and the government makes every cent back anyway in revenue and then some.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226677361868
This blokes got the answer, and he wants to run the country !!!!

That's not as silly as it sounds.
It would never happen though as the 3 car makers couldn't work together.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i think you'll find that holden has made its decision & is now looking for a reason to blame other factors ie: lack of government support as its reason to justify its closure,
even most of the holden fans at work have said its coming..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
That's not as silly as it sounds.
It would never happen though as the 3 car makers couldn't work together.
Ford, Holden and Toyota would need to set aside their differences here and have a huge auto manufacturing complex built somewhere.

Gonna happen? I wish it would but they would be scared of espionage and other rubbish mind games to suit their own agendas.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

They know Rudd is a soft touch so they push for it now. I bet you they will get it too.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
At least Holden is going down fighting!! I think it is better to ask & be told no, then not to ask at all & just close up. I respect what Holden is trying to do.
So we had 3 players, Ford ,Holden and Toyota
Out of the 3 , Ford nor Holden don't have a chance against Toyota,not even in the same league,unfortunately
So one bows out with dignity, the other obviously ,maybe not the smarter stays to fight toyota,and now want a big cash handout to do so ....
Its not goin to help,toyota has the runs on the board, they time and time again smash both Ford and Holden on sales
Any non blind person can see Holden Vs Toyota, Holden will loose, why invest more money on a dead horse
Its a two horse race and Toyota are leading, do you put money on the horse running last in a two horse race .......
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
BroadyFord

^^ You're forgetting that if Holden close, Toyota close too.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Rodge
Banned

^^Try and keep both the remaining horses reasonably well fed and watered I reckon.
Reality check. All Govt's who have motoring industries, support them in meaningful ways.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
If we put that figure on the table what else can we build for that money?
A regional hospital or 3, improved transport where its needed, low cost housing to help with the population growth?

How about a huge building project to invest in the future? As much as I don't want to see Holden workers out of a job I believe it will just prolong the inevitable.
You need to look at the returns, I am not sure what the government gets back from the entire auto industry (in taxes etc) But I believe they get back more than what they invest. Hence why governments all over the world protect their industries is that they know they are better off with it than with out.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

As a potential 'investor' I would want to know what my money is buying:

* How long is the investment for: 1 year? 3 years?
* What happens after that time? Does the company pull up stumps and leave the country?
* What is the longer term business plan of the company and how will this investment help fund that plan?
* If I give you this grant, are you going to come to me again in 6 months / 12 months time asking for another investment?
* How do you intend to provide me with a return on the investment I have made (ie what is in it for me)?
* What are the penalties if you do not deliver on your promised return on investment?

I hope the government is asking these and more questions before they seriously consider providing the requested investment.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Reality check. All Govt's who have motoring industries, support them in meaningful ways.
Exactly. All this carryon about subsidies "OMG HOW DARE U MY TACKSPAYER MONEY" ignores the fact that all automotive producing countries subsidise and protect their automotive industries - and the imported cars flooding our market these days all come from heavily subsidised and protected home markets. Australia is one of the most open car markets in the world.

That said...$265 Million...damn. That's pushing the friendship over the cliff I think.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
You need to look at the returns, I am not sure what the government gets back from the entire auto industry (in taxes etc) But I believe they get back more than what they invest. Hence why governments all over the world protect their industries is that they know they are better off with it than with out.
Exaclty right, the government does not just give away money for nothing, they are making a return on their investment. If the auto industry goes there will be less total government revenue for other items, Infrastructure, Education, health.

There is something like 20,000 (not sure exactly) people directly and indirectly employed by the auto industry, the government makes back income taxes and GST on what those people spend their money on, a bloody good return on investment.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
stang65
FPRJET

Buy Fords assets , Let Holden close buy their Assets and make our own car here. We have the skills, the money stays in Australia to be re-invested...And say $@&(* you Yanky. Win Win...
Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

This is difficult, I really think that this is a lost cause, and ask how long you would be prepared to throw money in a pit to never see it return.
I know this is probably going to upset people, and to extent, even me, as i know people within Holden, but the Australian automotive Industry needs to fail for it to become possible for a smarter way forward to be invented, later, within Australia. Of course, thats a massive risk, cause they may not ever produce in Australia again, but i feel the Aussie Auto Industry hasn't learnt a damn thing since they started manufacturing here.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
There is something like 20,000 (not sure exactly) people directly and indirectly employed by the auto industry, the government makes back income taxes and GST on what those people spend their money on, a bloody good return on investment.
This is true, but not all of them are going to lose there jobs, as is evident with ford, the Design and Engineering teams are staying on. This will most likely be the case with Holden as well, although i am unsure about toyota.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Spot on. My suggestion was a spur of the moment idea. There is always a 'bigger picture' that takes into consideration all aspects of this problem as well as all possible returns on the investment, both direct and indirect.

How much has Holden got in the past? On what basis / terms was it given?

What guarantee do we have from Holden in terms of future viability?

We are talking big money, OUR money after all...... I would hate to chip in my bit and see the whole thing fold in a few years. On the other hand, if it means that thousands remain in a job and it secures the long term future of car building in this country I'm all for it.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

For how long will that grant keep Holden going for?

Has anyone done the sums to compare how much the cost of unemployment for the 1750 lost jobs Vs. cost of the extra funding?

1/3 of the funding will come back to the government as income tax anyways I would have thought?

The unions really need to be careful here; they are in no position to dictate terms and are playing with peoples livelihoods.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_01 View Post
This is true, but not all of them are going to lose there jobs, as is evident with ford, the Design and Engineering teams are staying on. This will most likely be the case with Holden as well, although i am unsure about toyota.

More will lose their jobs
http://www.fapm.com.au/Autoindustry/...U/Default.aspx

The lose of an industry can have a snowball affect, if Holden closes it will most likely take down most of its tier one suppliers with it, those tier 1 suppliers will also bring down tier two and three suppliers and so on. When these suppliers go there will be issues with payments, bad debts etc. In my opinion know one knows how many jobs will be lost, but I suspect there will be reasonable numbers and those jobs lost will lead to other loses in other industries.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Spot on. My suggestion was a spur of the moment idea. There is always a 'bigger picture' that takes into consideration all aspects of this problem as well as all possible returns on the investment, both direct and indirect.

How much has Holden got in the past? On what basis / terms was it given?

What guarantee do we have from Holden in terms of future viability?

We are talking big money, OUR money after all...... I would hate to chip in my bit and see the whole thing fold in a few years. On the other hand, if it means that thousands remain in a job and it secures the long term future of car building in this country I'm all for it.
Agreed, I wish I had more facts but I don't, will have a look tonight. I remember someone at Ford once stating that for every dollar they get from the Government they return $6 on what basis I don't know. If its correct than the subsidies are a sound investment.

We also need to weight up the people side of things, Automotive manufacturing offers a wide range of skills (and these can be used in different industries and benefit the nation as a whole)

US and Germany heavily subsidies their auto industries (much more than what we do) so there are obviously a range of reasons as to why they do that. I would hate for Australia to lose its Auto industry and then find out those reasons.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

enough is enough there should be no more handing out $$ willy nilly no strings attached.
There should be conditions and Holden/Ford/Toyota/whoever should have to meet those conditions.
If Holden have good justification to needing the dollars (some great technological break through, a new model for export, etc) then so be it but if it is just to survive then no thank you, shut the doors if you need to. It is not sustainable to just hand out dollars.

Oh and yeah ok all those other governments subsidising car makers, yeah that's fine but have you seen what those car makers are doing? They are expanding their markets, they improving their products continually developing new products, new technologies (Toyota had the hybrid tech subsidised by the government), etc not just the same cars all the time. SO yes in that case I am all for it but here, nothing, it's all done at the last minute.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i still think a join venture is the way to go, Folden Falcodore
pretty much a commodore and a falcon are the same on paper, size, weight, power, price, features (don't say they are not because they are)
so why fight saying fords are better than holdens visa versa
build a large sedan, ute, wagon, LWB, same floor pan, suspension, diff, grearbox, use their own engine, and own hanging panels
this way we keep 50% holden employees and 50% ford employees in a job as well as the local part manufacturers employed
we still get a big aussie car with a brand we love
oh hang on!!! COTF for the road
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

It will cost the Nation more then you can add up on a spreadsheet. Best to invest and and develop a top selling car why not make a SUV thats where the sales have been.

One tax break they could offer Holden etc is for them to have reduced income tax for their employees, thus keeping the employees on the same take home pay but saving the company heaps.

The gov should also encourage LPG cars with further concessions, as the dollar drops the Petrol price will once again become a issues when buying a car.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post