Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
marcyeo

Default Sebastian Loeb smashes Pike's Peak record 8:13.878mins!!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/239534/p...perience-2013/

Previous record held by Rhys Millen at 9:46.164 and even though Rhys demolished his own record doing it in 9:02.192 minutes to have the record set by Peugeot almost a minute and a half quicker is absolutely astounding!!

The speed at which they do the hill climb in the video is equally astounding, and though Sebastian is undoubtedly a supreme driver, I reckon the car in this case is just out of it's league.

Wonder's will never cease and records will continue to not only be smashed by absolutely blown to bits, chewed up and spat out by the time recorded! Wonder what they'll do next year..

I would love to give this road a go before I die.

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sebastian Loeb smashes Pike's Peak record 8:13.878mins!!

Mental. Supreme skill. The video looks like its in fast forward.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

official vid released
http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...es-peak-record

not as dramatic as ari vatanen's run though.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Quote:

Yeah, Ari's run that day was out of this world, that vid still gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Hats of to Seb though. You need some seriously big goolies to take on Pike Peak.

Last edited by russellw; 03-07-2013 at 07:46 AM.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr gr8 View Post
Quote:

Yeah, Ari's run that day was out of this world, that vid still gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Hats of to Seb though. You need some seriously big goolies to take on Pike Peak.
For sure, Loeb is a freak of a human with car control out of this world.
Can't wait to see how he will go in WTCC.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
marcyeo

"Unlike internal combustion engines, which lose roughly one percent of power per 100m above sea level (which equates to about 30 per cent by the end of Pikes Peak), the electric engines remain strong throughout the climb."

Meaning if you start out with 652kw in your Peugeot by the time you reach the peak you've dropped to 456kw .. my puny 350rwkw would be nothing by the time I reached the top..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
wombatG6ET
FPV-Tickford club of NSW

Not as good as it used to be now its Tarmac all the way up
The dirt road made it more exciting sliding through the turns so close to a massive drop

EF XR6

Paceway Cars and Coffee
https://www.facebook.com/groups/753976964648237/
wombatG6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The man is a freak - no question. His record in the WRC will stand for a long time and I suspect this record won't be much different.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatG6ET View Post
Not as good as it used to be now its Tarmac all the way up
The dirt road made it more exciting sliding through the turns so close to a massive drop
So true, how long has Loeb been driving a Peugeot, he was their Number1 works driver at Citroen.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Peugeot need to apply some of that mental 'pull out all stops' performance engineering to a road car. Badly.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Peugeot need to apply some of that mental 'pull out all stops' performance engineering to a road car. Badly.
Peugeot are on the brink of collapse financially. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they went to Pikes Peak, considering they've quit Le Mans.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
a_misfit

Having driven up pikes peak myself, I am amazed with the speeds they are willing to go. If you go to Denver, its a must. Do the drive too, the train is a bit pointless when in comparison.
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
You do realise that there is a 208 GTi coming out soon, don't you? Top Gear reviewed it on their latest episode that aired this week and they loved it. They liked the Fiesta ST more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Peugeot are on the brink of collapse financially.
I don't think they're on the brink of collapse although like all manufacturers, they've been through some tough times. PSA is the parent company of both Peugeot and Citroen. Their shares are still trading around the 6 Euro mark so still reasonably strong if you ask me. I'm sure they wouldn't be in the Le Mans series of racing if they didn't have the cash.
Also, they don't just make cars, they make engines for quite a few manufacturers, including Ford and BMW.
http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en
Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Hally

Let me state I am a massive Seb fan and think he is the greatest rally driver of my generation.

However, I would love to see the Pug driven at Pikes Peak by Rhys Millen, a season campaingner. More for curiousity than anything.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Absolutely no fear at all, mental. Now that's motor sport.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
You do realise that there is a 208 GTi coming out soon, don't you?
Yes I was fully aware of this. I can't see how someone would call a 147kw fwd hatchback 'mental pull out all stops' motoring though...
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Looks to be heaps left in the car and the driver, looked pretty easy going really as though he wasn't even really having much of a crack.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Not sure about that Trev, below are some quotes from Loeb and he was having a go.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the car is essentially a re-skinned "uncorked" WRC car, so there might not have been that much development work needed either.

Quote:
“For me, this was the race of the year,” said Loeb at the finish, 4300 metres high in the Rocky Mountains. “At the beginning of my run there was a bit of pressure for sure because I knew there was so much work and investment from Peugeot and all the partners. Now, after all the practice, it was just down to me and I had to perform.”

There were a number of delays before he started, however, which meant that the team began to worry about bad weather, a common concern of Pikes Peak at high altitude. “When I was on the start line waiting to go, I could actually see the clouds closing in at the top of the mountain,” said Loeb. “I remember thinking that if we didn’t get going soon, it would be really difficult.”

Loeb's time was even quicker than Peugeot Sport’s computer had thought was possible. The ideal theoretical time – calculated using data from Loeb’s practice runs up the Colorado mountain – was 8m15s. The nine-time world rally champion somehow managed to shave two seconds off that.

“I’m really happy as that was a very good run in the end,” said Loeb. “I really didn’t expect anything better than 8m15s, so to do 8m13s was fantastic. Before the start I didn’t really know if I should push absolutely to the maximum or if I should just push to a comfortable pace, in order to make sure of the victory. In the end, I decided to push to the limit.”

“It was good, all under control from start to finish,” he concluded. “Apart from the potential of the weather turning bad, we didn’t have any worrying moments.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Just seemed so safe and easy I guess...
Especially compared to this, this average lap speed has been busted by about 5mph since this - http://youtu.be/QVXc29ZgutI
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Just seemed so safe and easy I guess...
This...
I didn't see one hint of opposite lock or oversteer (even though it's AWD) as I'd imagine if he's on the absolute limit there would be.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unbelievable. Go Seb!!!
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
This...
I didn't see one hint of opposite lock or oversteer (even though it's AWD) as I'd imagine if he's on the absolute limit there would be.
Looked to be leaving plenty of road in regards to lines too as in not pushing the envelope. Looks very pussy compared to Climb Dance etc.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
marcyeo

I reckon he's holding back a bit so he can demolish his own record again next year..

OLD
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

I know Seb would still smash it if it was still a gravel road, so it would've been great to see him on that surface and compare it to Vatanen's drive.

I love the bit where he's full tilt but still is able to take one hand off the wheel to shield his eyes from the sun................big stones in that man...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
official vid released
http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...es-peak-record

Vatanen's run is unbelievable. Awesome and terrifying.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

241kmh and bouncing it off the rev limiter at one point.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Looked to be leaving plenty of road in regards to lines too as in not pushing the envelope. Looks very pussy compared to Climb Dance etc.
True, but you could say the same watching a xy touring car compared to a FG V8SC.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those that haven`t seen Ari`s effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug .
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #29
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Loeb's time is impressive but not unexpected as the Pike's Peak circuit is now fully sealed. I still prefer Vatanen's run as back then there was gravel, three pedals, a double H pattern gearbox and no driver aids.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked watching Monster Tajima's practice run in his mitsubishi sponsored EV. Unfortunately he had a fire on the day.

Something eerie about wacthing an electric car go so fast without all the noise of a combustion engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRFPo6pymY
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post