Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Cityjet
Starter Motor

Default AU auto transmission filter metal clip?

Hi, long time reader, 1st time poster.

I'm after advice on how to remove the auto transmission filter spring clip.

Any tips on which way u apply force to remove the clip?

I had the pan off, seems too hard so I left the filter & refilled it with new tq95 fluid. I've done 300+kms so the old fluid has mixed with the new fluid, now is probably a good time to change the filter.

Cityjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

The ends just hook up into the valvebody , pair of pointy pliers it will come out ok , just unhooks . Make sure the old seal comes out and new one goes in
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, the seal on the filter may stay in the bottom of the box. A flat blade will pop it out.
Old 14-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Cityjet
Starter Motor

Cheers guys, I'm on top of the seal issue.

Yeah, it didn't feel like a finger job, the clip has a fair bit of tension.

So do you just push the clip up & away so it clears the valvebody? Does it matter which side?
Old 14-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't think it matters which side. I really can't rem but I think I used a screwdriver under the forward "leg" and just levered it away from the valve body.

Edit: nice howto here (but doesn't specifically mention how to remove clip)
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...auto+trans+oil
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you want to do the whole trans and torque converter - shameless self plug
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11293691
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Cityjet
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
If you want to do the whole trans and torque converter - shameless self plug
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11293691
Thx m8, yep, I looked at both of those guides. Very infomative.

The only catch is the filter retaining clip, I'm in a confinded space so I can't clearly see how it's attached.

Keep the tips coming.
Old 15-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Before you take the clip off, take careful note which way it is oriented, and where it was clipped into. It has a bend which is more to one end of it, goes back in easy right way around.
AMB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

When refit time comes it will be quite obvious which way the clip goes back on, the wrong way really does look wrong when trying to fit it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
When refit time comes it will be quite obvious which way the clip goes back on, the wrong way really does look wrong when trying to fit it.
maybe obvious when you've done it before. It will still fit the wrong way, just difficult, and when you're on your back in a tight place things don't seem so obvious sometimes.
Old 16-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
maybe obvious when you've done it before. It will still fit the wrong way, just difficult, and when you're on your back in a tight place things don't seem so obvious sometimes.
I noticed it the first time I did it, with the car on ramps on a sloped driveway in the rain.

You just need to stop and look at exactly what you are doing.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I noticed it the first time I did it, with the car on ramps on a sloped driveway in the rain.

You just need to stop and look at exactly what you are doing.
Yeh but its not about you is it RG. I was just giving Cityjet a little tip, cos I know its so easy just to pop the thing off, then spend a half an hour later on trying to figure out which way to put it back on.