Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Default Wheels test; Mustang Meets Falcon

An interesting read,

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features...ustang-vs-xr8/

Summed up with,
If you want a Ford V8 performance car, put it this way: the Mustang is a far better Mustang than the XR8 is, or than any high-performance Falcon ever has been. The two nameplates went their separate ways a long time ago, and our performance sedans have changed their theme since, evolving from base-spec, big-engined Police-pack specials to luxury sports sedans.

Let us never forget, when the sun goes down on 2016, that for covering vast distances, carrying five folks and dishing out massive bang for the buck, nobody in the world has done it better.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: Wheels test; Mustang Meets Falcon

You would expect the mustang to be a better mustang than the xr8...
Its an xr8 how could it be a better mustang?
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Even when its a Ford Vs Ford article, they still find ways to stick the boot into the Falcon.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Not a bad read really, but I dont think the stang is gonna be the sales success Ford Australia think its gonna be. I hope Im wrong..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

125K mustang vs a 55K falcon... mmmmm interesting.... I do like the yellow on the stang though, looks tuff with the black stripes.. Ill take my stang in a manual... oh wait... Totally different cars IMO.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, the XR8 is apparently better in every respect except slightly slower 0~100,
and does that based on a limited production family saloon,
yet "The Mustang is a better Mustang"???

What I find interesting, and it is somewhat acknowledged in the article, is that its has taken a very long time, the impending death of the Falcon, and FINALLY upgrading Mustang's horse-cart suspension, before Ford were game enough to bring the Mustang back to Australia.
It's a bit hard when your iconic Pony Car gets shown up by the local family hack.

I LOVE the Mustang, always have, and am grateful to Ford for keeping this iconic car in production, when the world seems to be going the way of nanny-state hybrids.
IF I finally get old and rich enough to start spending my kids inheritance, I can see a Mustang Convertible SOMEWHERE in my future, and if I win powerball, I'd have one in my collection tomorrow.

But here, now? Given the prices are supposedly similar, I'd take the Falcon.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dumbest motoring article I've read in a long time...

Quote:
Throughout its career, the Mustang had lagged behind – and well behind Falcon – with antiquated, live-axle underpinnings.
Written as though the Falcon never had a live axle

Quote:
With fixed windows, no grab handles and awkward access, it’s definitely a 2+2 coupe rather than a Falcon fastback.
WTF

Quote:
the Mustang is a far better Mustang than the XR8
Really Einstein

Quote:
you always feel you’re sitting on the Falcon, rather than really in it
Does this have to be mentioned in every article ever written. I can see it now, the year is 2026 and Wheels or Motor will do a retro article about the good old days of aussie muscle and they will still mention that it feels like you sit on the Falcon rather than in it. Move on FFS.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
Not a bad read really, but I dont think the stang is gonna be the sales success Ford Australia think its gonna be. I hope Im wrong..
How can it ever be, they will get 2 fifths of F all supply. But then again they will say it's a sales success as they will sell all of the tiny allocation they will get. I could probably order a Ferrari 488 and get it sooner than a Mustang
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Does this have to be mentioned in every article ever written. I can see it now, the year is 2026 and Wheels or Motor will do a retro article about the good old days of aussie muscle and they will still mention that it feels like you sit on the Falcon rather than in it. Move on FFS.
In this computer age, they probably never actually write a new Falcon article. They just open up the last one and revise it.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised that trashy Holden PR mag wrote anything about it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Nothing I haven't already heard before and agree with most of it (barring the typo, seriously what is with the lack of editing of publications these days).

Though I have to say that I would much rather read the review of a RHD from factory model (and OZ spec) rather than some LHD->RHD job.
Chris Harris reviewed the 'Stang and enjoyed it, pretty much said a similar thing though, it's a bit soft, I suspect we can thank the same people who decided on the Mondeo/Fusion suspension set up for that too.

In all, that Mustang looks hawt, would look even better without the stripes. Sorry but Falcon looks old hat next to the Mustang.

Now where is our GT350 Ford?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
3000 have already been pre ordered here in Australia and now there is a 12 month waiting list. Sounds like it might be.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
3000 have already been pre ordered here in Australia and now there is a 12 month waiting list. Sounds like it might be.
3000 pre-orders and a 12 month wait on a new release mass produced vehicle is a good start but it’s too early to say that signifies sales success.

Performance ordinated coupes like the Mustang have never been big sellers here so it will be interesting to see if Australian tastes have changed and what those figures are like in 5 years when the initial excitement of a must have icon has died down.

I would think the Mustang in right hand drive would need to be successful in more than just Australia to achieve the figures required to keep the parent company's bean counters happy.

These days’ manufacturers are quick to pull the plug if profits don’t equate to the effort.

If the local figure drops to just a few hundred a year then it will definitely require propping up from other RHD countries to keep it alive.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
3000 pre-orders and a 12 month wait on a new release mass produced vehicle is a good start but it’s too early to say that signifies sales success.

Performance ordinated coupes like the Mustang have never been big sellers here so it will be interesting to see if Australian tastes have changed and what those figures are like in 5 years when the initial excitement of a must have icon has died down.

I would think the Mustang in right hand drive would need to be successful in more than just Australia to achieve the figures required to keep the parent company's bean counters happy.

These days’ manufacturers are quick to pull the plug if profits don’t equate to the effort.

If the local figure drops to just a few hundred a year then it will definitely require propping up from other RHD countries to keep it alive.

Australia is just a rounding error in RHD mustangs future success depends on China and Europe buying them
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
Australia is just a rounding error in RHD mustangs future success depends on China and Europe buying them
You mean essentially LHD markets?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #16
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

List of left & right driving countries.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/li...ing-countries/
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The RHD 'Stang isn't a special build, its essentially just different options thrown into the car as it goes down the assembly line so I doubt the plug will be pulled on them for a while even when sales in Aus tail off.

As for sales success of coupes in Australia, it's of course true that they typically have a limited sales run but with the 'Stang, it's different. The previous 2 door efforts such as the Falcon/Landua coupes and Monaro's were uniquely Aussie designed and produced, so therefore had to make business sense in the small Aussie market. The 'Stang is sharing the design/build with the volume LHD 'Stang firstly, then the RHD drive market with the UK/Ireland/Japan/Malaysia/Indonesia/South Africa and Thailand.

I'd guess that Ford USA has done their homework on the RHD Mustang and the volumes will be there to support ongoing RHD development and I suspect with Aus at least, it will be a trickle run based on order books rather than shipping in big numbers/month.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
It's sold out in Europe, so with that seemingly happening everywhere it has gone on sale, hopefully they will open a 3rd shift at Falt Rock and get more cars out, and the waiting list will come down.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #19
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
125K mustang vs a 55K falcon... mmmmm interesting....
The Mustang starts at 45k for the Ecoboost and 55k for the GT, so it is near enough to a direct price comparison.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=Wretched;5454759]
Chris Harris reviewed the 'Stang and enjoyed it, pretty much said a similar thing though, it's a bit soft, I suspect we can thank the same people who decided on the Mondeo/Fusion suspension set up for that too.
QUOTE]

That "softness" would be quite deliberate.
The Mustang GT is essentially an entrée into what the Mustang has to offer.
It forms the basis of a nice looking good all rounder (hence the GT badge) that can also be used as a blank canvas for modifications. It also allows room for a harder, more focused models such as GT350's and GT350R's further into the lifecycle.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear a lot of people talking about the Mustang and doing sums with interest.

However, while they talk[ a lot about the V8 Mustang, the one they're actually contemplating buying is the 320hp ecoboost four cylinder.

In a state like Queensland where we get comprehensively bent over harder and harder for registration depending on the number of cylinders we have (and it really gets ludicrously bad when you talk eight cylinders), it makes sense.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #22
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Just WHEN are the first shipments arriving?
The post on ordering a 458 Ferrari and getting it quicker was pretty spot on I reckon!
We risk getting a 2015 car delivered and 1st registered well into 2016.. And Ford risk the novelty wearing off before its begun... Especially if they keep ripping bits out due to the low/falling AUD..
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't seem like much of a comparison to me. Sure, they're both RWD V8s, but very different cars.

I figure I don't have a whole lot of use for my Falcon's back seat or big boot. Or the 6 cylinders at that. I'm guessing it'll be 2018 or so before you'd be able to walk in and buy one, hopefully I can afford a Mustang by then.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #24
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt the falling dollar would worry Ford. Surely they would have factored in the expected trajectory and budgeted as such, calculating prices around .60USD.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #25
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the Mustang smaller than the Falcon/Commodore btw?
Hope so, then I will def consider one.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #26
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Just WHEN are the first shipments arriving?
The post on ordering a 458 Ferrari and getting it quicker was pretty spot on I reckon!
We risk getting a 2015 car delivered and 1st registered well into 2016.. And Ford risk the novelty wearing off before its begun... Especially if they keep ripping bits out due to the low/falling AUD..
Won't be getting 2015 model, it will be 2016.

But still it is a ridiculous situation.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would have to start to wonder if they're deliberately dragging things out to try and drive interest.
I mean, to be blunt, it's not a technically super sophisticated car, it's a basic vehicle sold in huge numbers overseas. RHD builds for our special market (and don't get me started...) haven't been a huge burden for makers like Jeep and Chrysler with their big range of models, so why is it such an effort for Ford with only three models?

I'm really hoping they're not going to try and sell a common ordinary vehicle as some exclusive limited sales car here. I often wonder how many 300C's Chrysler would sell if they could avoid all the damn taxes we slap on imports which mean it's sold here as a "luxury vehicle" instead of just being a family sedan which starts in the USA at $31,000.
Nothing kills a car quicker than beancounters looking at the sales and asking "is it really worth it?".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be fair, Ford nowadays release products well before they are actually available, part of their strategy. The Mustang release date in Aus in Oct/Nov from memory, and deliveries soon after than, what was the delivery times on the FG-X XR8 by comparison?

As for making it an exclusive limited sales model in Aus, why not? We all know coupes have great initial sales and then tapers off in Aus, if Ford sell them at bargain basement prices, it may well increase the sales volume a little for that initial burst, but they may only make the same amount of $$'s. Presumably, spare parts inventory/logistics etc comes into it too, the more you sell at those bargain prices, the more parts you have to have sitting about and they are more exposed to warranty claims etc so sell em at a higher prices, less volume but higher profits per unit etc and the side benefit for purchasers, is they don't devalue as quick.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #29
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
To be fair, Ford nowadays release products well before they are actually available, part of their strategy. The Mustang release date in Aus in Oct/Nov from memory, and deliveries soon after than, what was the delivery times on the FG-X XR8 by comparison?

As for making it an exclusive limited sales model in Aus, why not? We all know coupes have great initial sales and then tapers off in Aus, if Ford sell them at bargain basement prices, it may well increase the sales volume a little for that initial burst, but they may only make the same amount of $$'s. Presumably, spare parts inventory/logistics etc comes into it too, the more you sell at those bargain prices, the more parts you have to have sitting about and they are more exposed to warranty claims etc so sell em at a higher prices, less volume but higher profits per unit etc and the side benefit for purchasers, is they don't devalue as quick.
The more you sell the more service $$$ and they do make $$$ on spare parts

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
List of left & right driving countries.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/li...ing-countries/
Maybe now would be a good time to change, since we don't need to protect 'local' manufacturers?

i hope the mustang price comes down from 125k. too high.