Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default comprehensive doco on Henry Ford

a new doco on Henry Ford is now on netflix. at 2 hours long , its very comprehensive. subjects covered are his youth , early cars ,his "quadrocycle" horseless carriage in 1896 (with pics). a brief mention of K & N models, heaps on T, how the A came about and that Henry initially didn,t want it, etc.

his son Eddsill (sp?). and this disapproval,etc. Edds influence and the unions. the five dollars a day rate, Henrys disliking of jews and his social engineering.Henrys headkicker Harry Bennet. the development of the company in the early years. and stacks of interesting bits of info. his friend ship with edison ( edison was bit of an A.H. i think, treated tesla poorly). Henrys racecar in 1901, and he drove it. making airplanes in the ww2. etc. etc.

very well narrated and full of very interesting pictures and film from 1901.

defiantly worth a look at.

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 29-07-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: comprehensive doco on Henry Ford

What is the title of this doco Mr Piston?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it the same as the one on history channel? If so was pretty good but hopefully its a new one.

I picked up a biography written in the late 70's on Henry. Fascinating read.
zipping is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Pis-ton broke
Banned

yes, i am watching again zipping

"American experience : Henry Ford "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcr3YQK0eEY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2547528/

an is on netflix.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Watching now, looks good. Thanks Piston.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
scotty_dee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds very similar to the book I just finished on Henry Ford and FoMoCo. Called 'Wheels for the World', highly recommend it an awesome read.

OLD
05 BAII XR8 Ute
Shockwave
6 Speed Manual - Leather - Tinted Windows - 2.5" X-Force Catback Exhaust - John Bowe Ceramic Coated Extractors - Typhoon Console Lid and Dash Spears- Lowered - Hardlid - SS Inductions CAI - 20" Verde Kaos
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11297046
scotty_dee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The American Experience documentary is pretty good. Edsel was his son (an ill-fated division was named after him).

Robert Lacey's Ford: The Men and the Machines is the best book I've ever read on the history of Ford Motor Company.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #8
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_dee View Post
Sounds very similar to the book I just finished on Henry Ford and FoMoCo. Called 'Wheels for the World', highly recommend it an awesome read.
I read that book a few years back, it's great isn't it. Incredibly detailed and fascinating, but not only from a Ford fans perspective - it's just an amazing part of human history.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

As posted by Moby Vic, if you haven't read it, I too highly recommend reading Robert Lacey's book on Henry Ford, 'Ford-The Men and Machine'. At the time it was regarded as one the most honest biographies ever written on a particular subject. It wouldn't surprise me if that what the current documentary was based on.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Spurious

I agree that Robert Lacey's book is well worth the read.

Turns out Henry ford was a bit of a pig headed A'hole, but he knew how to run business.
I bet the doco doesn't mention the affair Henry had with one of his housekeepers...resulting in an illegitimate child !!!

I for one would like to know what became of this child & if he ever benefited from the success of the company.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanWW View Post
I agree that Robert Lacey's book is well worth the read.

Turns out Henry ford was a bit of a pig headed A'hole, but he knew how to run business.
I bet the doco doesn't mention the affair Henry had with one of his housekeepers...resulting in an illegitimate child !!!

I for one would like to know what became of this child & if he ever benefited from the success of the company.
Actually I'm not so sure Henry had much of a business brain. At one point the financial position of Ford was calculated by weighing the amounts receivables vs bills, the difference being their net position. True story apparently.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
As posted by Moby Vic, if you haven't read it, I too highly recommend reading Robert Lacey's book on Henry Ford, 'Ford-The Men and Machine'. At the time it was regarded as one the most honest biographies ever written on a particular subject. It wouldn't surprise me if that what the current documentary was based on.
There was a TV miniseries (of greatly reduced scope) based on it titled Ford: The Man and the Machine. It's available on DVD, at least in the US and Canada.

It's decent, but nowhere near as good as the book. Cliff Robertson plays Henry Ford. Michael Ironside plays Harry Bennett. Most of the rest of the cast is Canadian nobodies.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
BluXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
The American Experience documentary is pretty good. Edsel was his son (an ill-fated division was named after him).

Robert Lacey's Ford: The Men and the Machines is the best book I've ever read on the history of Ford Motor Company.
Hi Moby, took your tip and did a search for the Robert Lacy book and found one signed by him from a place in Detroit and bought it. Thanks for the tip.
BluXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
mattaus1
Starter Motor

I'll have to watch this one on netflix when the missus is out...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluXR6T View Post
Hi Moby, took your tip and did a search for the Robert Lacy book and found one signed by him from a place in Detroit and bought it. Thanks for the tip.
I got a paperback of it back in the '80s and the binding fell apart. A few months back I was in a used book store and found a first edition hard copy! It's not in mint shape, but it was cheap and the binding is good.

Happy reading!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
a new doco on Henry Ford is now on netflix. at 2 hours long , its very comprehensive. subjects covered are his youth , early cars ,his "quadrocycle" horseless carriage in 1896 (with pics). a brief mention of K & N models, heaps on T, how the A came about and that Henry initially didn,t want it, etc.

his son Eddsill (sp?). and this disapproval,etc. Edds influence and the unions. the five dollars a day rate, Henrys disliking of jews and his social engineering.Henrys headkicker Harry Bennet. the development of the company in the early years. and stacks of interesting bits of info. his friend ship with edison ( edison was bit of an A.H. i think, treated tesla poorly). Henrys racecar in 1901, and he drove it. making airplanes in the ww2. etc. etc.

People like to make out his dislike of the Jews as something of a highlight but back in his day and before that, most people did not look up to the Jews at all and it's only from around 1990 or so that the majority have only started to idolise the Jews.
So young people come to think there is something sinister with the man.

Fact is he was trying to help out the less wealthy people to get transport when all the others only looked to the rich mans money.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
People like to make out his dislike of the Jews as something of a highlight but back in his day and before that, most people did not look up to the Jews at all and it's only from around 1990 or so that the majority have only started to idolise the Jews.
So young people come to think there is something sinister with the man.

Fact is he was trying to help out the less wealthy people to get transport when all the others only looked to the rich mans money.
yeah, i don,t know much about jews, its a bit of a hot potato , so i won,t go there, and heavily censored etc.

but yes you are right , Henry did want to help the working class, and they say that more mobile people affected the country in a good way.

in some review i read on the doco, someone said the first half of the show ,they built him up and second half they tore him down, i think thats about right.

but an interesting "fact" i read was that Henry was paying the coloured people (the green ones, lol) the same as the whities. i that time there wasn,t equal pay amounst the different races.

imo , he was a great man, a pioneer of of many things, he wasn,t perfect, but who is. and someone who had a go.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
Fordster91
Starter Motor

I am amazed by how henry ford revolutionized the automotive industry. A lot dont know that but he also inspried literature such as "Brave New World" by A. Huxley
Fordster91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, i don,t know much about jews, its a bit of a hot potato , so i won,t go there, and heavily censored etc.

but yes you are right , Henry did want to help the working class, and they say that more mobile people affected the country in a good way.

in some review i read on the doco, someone said the first half of the show ,they built him up and second half they tore him down, i think thats about right.

but an interesting "fact" i read was that Henry was paying the coloured people (the green ones, lol) the same as the whities. i that time there wasn,t equal pay amounst the different races.

imo , he was a great man, a pioneer of of many things, he wasn,t perfect, but who is. and someone who had a go.
Not too many people could look down their noes at Henry Ford but some dull educated or people with criminal intent try to bag him.

Things are censored, only because the one who does so is only trying to hide from being exposed for what they are.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found my copy of the Ford book I read and its the Robert Lacy written book. Fascinating reading for those that haven't read it.

When I watched the doco it seemed mostly based on the Lacey book.
zipping is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Just finished watching the American experience doco on YouTube. A great insight into a very complex human character. Explains a lot about why we Ford owners are so stubborn and demanding ! Must be passed down from the vehicle genes to the owner. So many things to hate and so many things to admire about him.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Just finished watching the American experience doco on YouTube. A great insight into a very complex human character. Explains a lot about why we Ford owners are so stubborn and demanding ! Must be passed down from the vehicle genes to the owner. So many things to hate and so many things to admire about him.
What is their to hate about him ?

I admire a dude called Ty Cobb for a lot of things and he was a very complex person, but most do not understand what he is putting forward and end up get it all wrong, because they only have a limited understanding and a narrow mind set.
The crowd hated him and he loved that and said it was wonderful.
No one ever came close to his ball game average and he was also one of the most successful business men in the world.

But as always their is some twerps having a crack at something they have bugger all true understanding of.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #23
scotty_dee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched this documentry also, thanks for sharing. Was good too to put faces to a lot of the names out of the books. Actually the Author of the book I mentioned earlier, Wheels for the World - Douglas Brinkley, features heavily in the documentry as one of the Historians.

Brilliant man Henry Ford. A lot of businesses today could learn to operate successfully and efficiently just by seeing hoe Henry did it over 100 years ago...

OLD
05 BAII XR8 Ute
Shockwave
6 Speed Manual - Leather - Tinted Windows - 2.5" X-Force Catback Exhaust - John Bowe Ceramic Coated Extractors - Typhoon Console Lid and Dash Spears- Lowered - Hardlid - SS Inductions CAI - 20" Verde Kaos
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11297046

Last edited by scotty_dee; 08-08-2015 at 09:50 PM.
scotty_dee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
What is their to hate about him ?
Henry Ford ?
Well his business acumen was brilliant and his original vision and philosophy was revolutionary. As a father figure and parent and mentor to his son....questionable to the point of cruelty. That side of him was easy to dislike.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #25
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Henry Ford ?
Well his business acumen was brilliant and his original vision and philosophy was revolutionary. As a father figure and parent and mentor to his son....questionable to the point of cruelty. That side of him was easy to dislike.
It may of been the way he was brought up himself and he was just pushing his son, to be hard in his light. as was the way in them days with people who strive as such.
Henry pushed himself hard to get where he got, and without such he would never of been anything near what he achieved.

My dad pushed me as hard as he could, because he knew I would never make it in this business if he just pampered me. was he cruel ? in todays world he would be said to be, but not in years gone past.

He just could not understand why people did not wont to work hard labour 7 days a week flat out and no lunch brake, you would just eat on the run and work big hours from before sun up and he would work to 10 at night on the job or doing paper work and have cold dinners most of the time as someone would ring to do with business.
If one did not work 7 days a week, you were considered a bludger and a no hoper, a good for nothing who would never amount to anything at all.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I watched one this time last year on the way to Vietnam. It included Australia (Geelong) as well. Was quite good. This one was more in depth on the friction between Henry and his son along with the unions.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the best reads is by Charles E Sorenson "My Forty years with Ford" 1904 -1944. Sorenson was Henry Ford's Production manager and pioneered many of the innovative use of castings in engine production hence the nickname "Cast iron Charlie" he was also responsible for the green field construction of Ford's Willow Run B-24 Liberator plant in Ypsilanti Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_E._Sorensen

http://www.amazon.com/Forty-Years-Gr...les+e+sorenson
Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
It may of been the way he was brought up himself and he was just pushing his son, to be hard in his light. as was the way in them days with people who strive as such.
Henry pushed himself hard to get where he got, and without such he would never of been anything near what he achieved.

My dad pushed me as hard as he could, because he knew I would never make it in this business if he just pampered me. was he cruel ? in todays world he would be said to be, but not in years gone past.

He just could not understand why people did not wont to work hard labour 7 days a week flat out and no lunch brake, you would just eat on the run and work big hours from before sun up and he would work to 10 at night on the job or doing paper work and have cold dinners most of the time as someone would ring to do with business.
If one did not work 7 days a week, you were considered a bludger and a no hoper, a good for nothing who would never amount to anything at all.
No
Nothing to do with working his son hard. More to do with his dismissive attitude towards some of Edsel's own brilliant ideas that may have carried FoMoCo even further sooner. Henry invented the industry, but he was poor at reinventing. If it wasn't for push to shove on the model A, you kinda wonder what may have happened.
Anyways, like I said. A great character and a very good doco. Highly recommended.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #29
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No
Nothing to do with working his son hard. More to do with his dismissive attitude towards some of Edsel's own brilliant ideas that may have carried FoMoCo even further sooner. Henry invented the industry, but he was poor at reinventing. If it wasn't for push to shove on the model A, you kinda wonder what may have happened.
Anyways, like I said. A great character and a very good doco. Highly recommended.
But He was old dude then and set in his ways and American public was then getting much more wealthy to buy such things.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #30
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I had never heard of the documentary & after seeing this thread
watched it last night & I will watch it again in the next few days.

I found it very interesting, amazing how many cars they were building
& I never knew how unusual the man was in so many ways.

Thanks for posting.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post