Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #121
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gen F HSV GTS Review, 0-100 in 4.4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
And that's the thing about price some people seem to be missing. You can buy a low km / demo SC GT for about $60K driveaway which is a full $40,000 less than people who are sitting in a long, long wait list queue waiting to get their GTS who've had to pay full retail or very close to it.

I'd speculate, (without wasting time having a look) there's deals to be had on low Km GT-E's and GT-P's for mid-late $60K range. Comparing retail to retail is meaningless when one model is freshly released and people are paying full retail and the other is is an old model where people are enjoying buying a brilliant car at a realistic price.
Correct. Some GT-P and GT-Es in the mid to upper 60k range, or low 70s... If i can get a GT-P for mid 60s, then that's fantastic value/bang for buck. In 4 years time or so, i'm hoping i'd be able to pick up a low km GTS for ~70k...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #122
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And that's the thing about price some people seem to be missing. You can buy a low km / demo SC GT for about $60K driveaway which is a full $40,000 less than people who are sitting in a long, long wait list queue waiting to get their GTS who've had to pay full retail or very close to it.

I'd speculate, (without wasting time having a look) there's deals to be had on low Km GT-E's and GT-P's for mid-late $60K range. Comparing retail to retail is meaningless when one model is freshly released and people are paying full retail and the other is is an old model where people are enjoying buying a brilliant car at a realistic price.
I agree but comparing retail to demo/used prices between different models is also meaningless.

You either want a new car ordered to your specifications new out of the box in which case you compare retail prices or you are looking to save a quid in which case your only option is a GT/GTP (and a very good option at that).
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #123
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

OK then. Lets compare new for new.

A GT-E is out of the equation because they don't make them anymore. Only Demos are available. You cannot order an RSpec. They are all accounted for at dealers ..... ?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #124
Chopped
as in chopped

" It'll do 0-62mph in 4.1secs given that it weighs 1881kg"

^ They use the above quote as a feature but then don't mention anything about it in the actual article ?!

(I think it is a wild guess by them)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vauxhall/vxr8
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #125
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
OK then. Lets compare new for new.

A GT-E is out of the equation because they don't make them anymore. Only Demos are available. You cannot order an RSpec. They are all accounted for at dealers ..... ?
Ummm...see post 115. This is what I did originally

"I don't think there is $30k between them in sticker price.

If im not mistaken, GTP is/ was $82k plus orc and GTS is $92k plus orc. A standard GT without leather and sat nav is $72k plus orc."
Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #126
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-GTS View Post
I agree but comparing retail to demo/used prices between different models is also meaningless.

You either want a new car ordered to your specifications new out of the box in which case you compare retail prices or you are looking to save a quid in which case your only option is a GT/GTP (and a very good option at that).
What I'm getting as is the lines between what's new and what's a demo car can get blurred and what counts is are you effectivly buying a new car but paying a demo price ? For example I bought my GT-P as a demo with a whole whopping 31 km's on it and even as an early adopter more than two years ago got 10% off the retail price plus they over-traded my F6 by $8,000, so effectivly I was getting close to 20% off and that's as an early adopter !!

If you couldn't get at the very least 15% off retail as a "demo" one now done less than 1,000 km's (preferrably less than 100 km's), one might want to be considering brushing up on one's negotiation skills. On the other hand try asking for a discount on retail on the GTS with its long wait list and they'll probably look at you like you've just beamed down from Mars.

I think the effective price difference between a new demo GT-P to new GTS is circa $30-35K and when you look at the kit difference between the two I reckon the GT-P is considerably better value and most certainly more affordable for you're average enthusiast out there. Sorry, I can't guarantee this post is completly free of bias
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #127
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What I'm getting as is the lines between what's new and what's a demo car can get blurred and what counts is are you effectivly buying a new car but paying a demo price ? For example I bought my GT-P as a demo with a whole whopping 31 km's on it and even as an early adopter more than two years ago got 10% off the retail price plus they over-traded my F6 by $8,000, so effectivly I was getting close to 20% off and that's as an early adopter !!

If you couldn't get at the very least 15% off retail as a "demo" one now done less than 1,000 km's (preferrably less than 100 km's), one might want to be considering brushing up on one's negotiation skills. On the other hand try asking for a discount on retail on the GTS with its long wait list and they'll probably look at you like you've just beamed down from Mars.

I think the effective price difference between a new demo GT-P to new GTS is circa $30-35K and when you look at the kit difference between the two I reckon the GT-P is considerably better value and most certainly more affordable for you're average enthusiast out there. Sorry, I can't guarantee this post is completly free of bias
We are going around in circles. I was comparing new price with new price not new price with demo price. That is, the price you pay when you walk into a dealer and place an order for a car in the colour you want and with the options and transmission you want.

There is not $30k difference in NEW price. I acknowledge that there is a up to $40k difference in price between a demo GT (sans options) and a new built to order GTS.

I also acknowledge that if you are happy to buy a demo you are much better off financially buying a GT over a GTS (until such time as there are demo and used GTS's around).

Move on.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #128
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

I can see what Rodge is getting at and I agree with him. The real buy price of a GT-P is 30K-40K cheaper than the real buy price of a GTS. That gap buys a lot of quality modifications.

If I had that kind of funds available, I'd still rather purchase an unmolested GTS.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #129
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Top Gear had the HSV GTS and stated the CLAIMED 4.4 to 100klms

I suspect that it is actually slower than a GT Rspec & HSV have banned all publications on its actual 0 to 100klms times UNTIL it can be tested in perfect conditions this is also why the embargo was some what only lifted in August when weather conditions are better for testing

Prob waiting for a Full Top Fuel Event at one of the Drag Tracks where the strip is prepped to perfection and a massive amount of new fresh rubber is on the track before they allow it's times to be published

There is massive lack of the FASTEST Australian Car in all the articles - only the MOST POWERFUL.......

SO GT Rspec is still the FASTEST

Quote:
Review: HSV GTS
By JAMES CLEARY

So, what is it?

The GTS is the flagship of HSV's new Gen-F line-up, and the most powerful production car ever built in Australia!

Why should I care?

It's a full-size slab of modern muscle, powered by GM's supercharged LSA small-block V8, snatched from under the bonnet of Chevrolet's thunderous ZL1 Camaro. A 6.2-litre, all-alloy monster, delivering 430kW, and enough torque (740Nm) to drag a decent sized house off its stumps. Claimed 0-100km/h time is 4.4sec!
See here http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/c...hsv-gts-020813

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #130
austyphoon

Meh.

Who cares what times they run individually. When they run side by side there are no excuses.

Sure, the R-Spec ran a 4.5secs but I don't think that's ever been repeated. Hell, it was slower than the SRT8 in a 3 way comparo. Same day, same time.

No doubt the GTS will wallop it around the track as well...but who cares. You love what you love, regardless what anyone else thinks!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #131
zilo
BANNED

The resale will be interesting when compared to other 100k offerings.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #132
austyphoon

You'll need an Ipad to d/load the app and view it but here is the first comparison between the GTS and R-Spec.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013...d-app-53-38226

The GTS did a 12.7 on a wet road test 0-400m, the R-Spec a 13.4.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #133
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

See here

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013..._4%3DSCDD;FBFD

Facebook Video here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

And here is an interesting Video
FPV GT 335 VS HSV GTS WALKINSHAW 1/4mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZuj3-0mN58

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 16-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 16-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #134
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
See here

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013..._4%3DSCDD;FBFD

Facebook Video here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

And here is an interesting Video
FPV GT 335 VS HSV GTS WALKINSHAW 1/4mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZuj3-0mN58

Just looked at your signature and your EF n/a 6 with 3.9 diff ran a 13.4 down the quarter, same as the fg gt in the video ??? If that's the case FPV have installed the wrong diff in the GT..
Old 16-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #135
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Was a good but predictable review.
GTS was always going to be a class above.
Old 16-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #136
The Monty
Just slidin'

The two most powerful australian cars ever and they race them in the wet. So many wtf's to insert, so many..
Old 16-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #137
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
The two most powerful australian cars ever and they race them in the wet. So many wtf's to insert, so many..
I agree but it is interesting how good they both hooked up in the wet.

I don't know if it's the video or not but looks like the GT missed a gear presuming they were manuals.

Either way cue the complaints that the GTS is a press special etc etc
Old 16-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #138
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Interesting to note they only used the GT's exhaust sounds. No surprise with the result really, although there is not 100kw between them but the 100 more torques should be handy in the GTS.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 16-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #139
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol a drag race in the wet..I wouldn't read much into that.
Old 16-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #140
anto
Za Dom spremni

ha ha, how lame. Such a slow time for the GT even in the wet..

This comment made me chuckle..
Quote:
I watched the drag race video and what interests me is why the on screen (written) figures suggest a gap of only 0.7 seconds across the run the actual video gap is closer to 2.4 seconds
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 16-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #141
Gaz
Got Ghia?

5.5km/h terminal speed difference? look at the gts go past the gt near the end, that's not 5km/h difference.
Old 16-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #142
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was a nice promotion for Holden if you ask me. don't get me wrong I liked the video but I'm not looking too much into it. until I see a magazine publish less the 4.5 secs and 12.6 I'll say its faster the the FPV GT-R spec
Old 16-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #143
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
5.5km/h terminal speed difference? look at the gts go past the gt near the end, that's not 5km/h difference.
very good point
Old 16-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #144
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

The video itself is clearly just a mock up of the actual race, there's a 2 second gap between the GTS passing the line and the GT following when according to the figures it should have only been a 0.7 second gap. But it made the GTS look like it smoked the GT, when there really wasn't much in it. Plus it's wet, what an utter waste of time.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #145
zilo
BANNED

No violence, repeatable launch all day long.
About the same 0-100.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mQqq--MhU
Old 16-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #146
OCTANEBOSS

Another tax payer propped ad for HSV... nice one
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #147
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Drag racing in the wet. Who's the clown who thought that was a good idea.

HSV's torque vectoring diff and competition DSC would provide a huge advantage in the wet, not to mention the grippy Continentals.

Needs to be done in the dry to be worth a damn.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #148
austyphoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Drag racing in the wet. Who's the clown who thought that was a good idea.

HSV's torque vectoring diff and competition DSC would provide a huge advantage in the wet, not to mention the grippy Continentals.

Needs to be done in the dry to be worth a damn.
People need to use some common sense here.

Most magazines/websites get limited time with the cars. It could be for just one day or even a few hours. Not to mention they have deadlines.

They can't just sit around waiting for perfect weather.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #149
DP GTP

Longest 0.7 of a second I've seen....really obvious who paid for that "HSV" promo.
ZF
Herrod CAI
Herrod 2.5 twin Stainless Cat back
Old 17-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #150
Lardman

Summarizing this thread: Users on a Ford forum that think a Holden is crap

Users on a Ford forum that think the Holden is kind of okay

Users on a Ford forum that are saying 'credit where it's due'
Closed Thread