Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default July Vfacts. Ford 3rd again

https://www.caradvice.com.au/969672/...on-the-brakes/

Other highlights: Ford finished third in the new-car sales race for the second month in a row. The last time Ford finished third prior to this latest burst was in 2012.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: July Vfacts. Ford 3rd again

Utes:
Hilux………..4610 (4x4: 3790 4x2: 860)
Ranger………4064 (4x4: 3685 4x2: 381)
D-Max…..….2427 (4x4: 1795. 4x2: 632)

4,000 odd from Ranger backing up 5,000 last month is a good effort
but shows there was a pull forward of some sales…..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The bigger story is the continual increase of Chinese made cars. MG + GWM + LVD = 6,526 sales.

"Sales of new cars made in China have overtaken those from the US since August 2020, and have also overtaken vehicles from Germany since January 2021."

Chinese made cars were also more appealing than hybrids or electric vehicle sales as they outsold both of these categories.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The bigger story is the continual increase of Chinese made cars. MG + GWM + LVD = 6,526 sales.

"Sales of new cars made in China have overtaken those from the US since August 2020, and have also overtaken vehicles from Germany since January 2021."

Chinese made cars were also more appealing than hybrids or electric vehicle sales as they outsold both of these categories.
Your win is based on the absence of Tesla sales which have been averaging between 1,000 - 1,200 per month…

None of those Chinese brands individually are making much of a splash….
Old 04-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Shameful.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Shameful.
Yes, it sure is. It just shows how the Aussies complaining about "Made in China" are just spewing bovine faeces.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Shameful.
Your Parents/Grandparents probably said the same thing about Japanese Vehicles in the 60-70's...

Just a Thought.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why shameful? who are you to judge

90% of your home and office electronics and parts are now made in china and a lot of industrial hardware is too.
Chinese goods of 2020s ae not the same as the throw away rubbish of 1990. Their cars are rapidly catching up.

In the 60s japanese car were shameful junk.. Now, they make some of the best in the world. Maybe not the hypercar fastest, but t.he best to own and drive daily family commute

In the 1980s sth korean cars were a joke now hyundai and especially kia are making some very good cars (Carnival, stinger) and their suburban city cars and suvs are a very good buy too, unless your a sneering badge snob - hey its your money
Now thee chinese are rapidly catching up, they have changed from making ip stealing cut price copies of european and jjapanese car that would fall apart to making reasonable affordable cars good enough for commuter suburban get around starter car or 2nd family car

Not every one cares that my car is 0.1 second faster 0-100 or can corner at 100kph with mild oversteer. i dont care if it cant do over 150 where yours does 190. im only allowed to do 110. Not everyone cares if the neighbours will go wow hes doing well.

most people just want to get to work, do the shopping, run the kids about and maybe go away once or twice aa year. And they want a car that will do it safely, affordably comfortably and reliably.
As long as it keeps up in traffic, can sit on motorway at 110 and can get up the hills with no trouble its good enough. And in 2021 chinese cars are good enough for many|

I will spend my money on other things. I can always bank the savings and save to buy a nice old xb 351 to do up for sunny sundays
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #9
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Chinese brand MG continues to surge up the sales charts, finishing in the Top 10 for the fifth time in seven months – with one of its cars finishing inside the Top 10 vehicle rankings for the first time.
Honda’s July 2021 figure ranked it behind Chinese brand LDV.

Last edited by bathurst77; 04-08-2021 at 07:13 PM.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #10
hayseed

Quote:
Your win is based on the absence of Tesla sales which have been averaging between 1,000 - 1,200 per month…

How many of those Tesla's are Chinese Built..?
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Chinese brand MG continues to surge up the sales charts, finishing in the Top 10 for the fifth time in seven months – with one of its cars finishing inside the Top 10 vehicle rankings for the first time.
Honda’s July 2021 figure ranked it behind Chinese brand LDV.
A bit of perspective, MGZ is 1,786 sales, LDV is 1,202 sales - hardly worth getting in a lather over.

Honda is on a downward slide, only themselves to blame…
Old 04-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
How many of those Tesla's are Chinese Built..?
Not to go off topic but they only switched in 2021 and that was only for Model 3. Model S and Y were still US made in 2021 though with the update, we won't see a new S/X till late 2022.

jpd80 was correct in what he said about 2020 numbers and some 2021 numbers as well.

On Topic, great result for Ford but they're holding onto 3rd by a thread. They need to get their supply issues sorted.

And anyone paying out Chinese cars is being unfair. People can't all afford the best or even average. And to be fair, the MG's are a lot of kit, well made for a very reasonable price tag. Political tensions aside, there is no reason not to buy them and if thats all you can afford, then who am I to judge them. People who can afford to buy otherwise still don't so I won't judge those that don't have an option.

Last edited by kypez; 04-08-2021 at 08:24 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Ford Numbers -

Ford EcoSport – 0
Ford Endura – 0
Ford Escape – 20
Ford Everest – 772
Ford Fiesta – 39
Ford Focus – 29
Ford Mondeo – 0
Ford Mustang – 142
Ford Puma – 203
Ford Ranger 4X2 – 381
Ford Ranger 4X4 – 3683
Ford Transit Bus – 13
Ford Transit Custom – 243
Ford Transit Heavy – 44
Ford Total – 5569
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
A bit of perspective, MGZ is 1,786 sales, LDV is 1,202 sales - hardly worth getting in a lather over.

Honda is on a downward slide, only themselves to blame…
Honda was on a downward slide with a **** range when I started out in the automotive industry 11 years ago - they just tried to emulate Toyota by turning their back on all their innovation and decided to try their hand at making white goods.

The Honda dealership I started my apprenticeship at closed down this year, how the mighty have fallen, gone from the busiest service department of any Honda dealership in the country at the time to dead business.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Honda was on a downward slide with a **** range when I started out in the automotive industry 11 years ago - they just tried to emulate Toyota by turning their back on all their innovation and decided to try their hand at making white goods.

The Honda dealership I started my apprenticeship at closed down this year, how the mighty have fallen, gone from the busiest service department of any Honda dealership in the country at the time to dead business.
I don't think Honda will be in the Australian market for much longer.

Since July, they have moved to a fixed price, no haggle pricing structure, with dealers not being responsible for stocking. You buy the car from Honda Australia, your dealer hands it over. Good in some ways, bad in others.

A base Honda Civic is now $31,000.
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...rice-and-specs

A base HR-V is now $31,300.
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...cing-and-specs

A base CR-V is now $35,300.

An Accord is $57,400.

And people wonder why MG are selling basic cars for basic prices. Because companies like Honda are selling basic cars for premium prices.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I don't think Honda will be in the Australian market for much longer.

Since July, they have moved to a fixed price, no haggle pricing structure, with dealers not being responsible for stocking. You buy the car from Honda Australia, your dealer hands it over. Good in some ways, bad in others.

A base Honda Civic is now $31,000.

A base HR-V is now $31,300.

A base CR-V is now $35,300.

An Accord is $57,400.

And people wonder why MG are selling basic cars for basic prices. Because companies like Honda are selling basic cars for premium prices.
Quote:
The base engine in the 2021 Honda Civic range is a naturally-aspirated 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine producing 104kW of power and 174Nm of torque.
So the same engine they were using in the Civic when I was a first year apprentice 11 years ago

I wonder if the CRV is still using the K series 4 cylinder that appeared in the late 1990s.

The last good car Honda sold was the 2nd generation Accord Euro.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:24 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honda is now lost in a sea of simply better competition, their once loyal customer base has well and truly
moved on. Not meaning to completely dismiss Chinese sales, I just see the figures as a bit distorted when
so many other brands are currently stifled by poor supply, Chinese sales are growing but still not as much
as folks think. Tenth position on sales ladder just means that MGZ is on a long tail of comparatively low
sales spread out amongst many brands.

Another good sales month for Everest, imagine sales with new body and V6 diesel.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #18
ford5061
Starter Motor

Also you need to realise when buying Chinese is that the resale will be lower and last year I was at the panel beaters getting my mux repaired after an accident and it took less than 2 weeks and when chatting to the owner we got talking about how much work he had on and he showed me all the great wall cars sitting there they could not finish as they couldn't get the parts.
ford5061 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Not to go off topic but they only switched in 2021 and that was only for Model 3. Model S and Y were still US made in 2021 though with the update, we won't see a new S/X till late 2022.

jpd80 was correct in what he said about 2020 numbers and some 2021 numbers as well.

On Topic, great result for Ford but they're holding onto 3rd by a thread. They need to get their supply issues sorted.

And anyone paying out Chinese cars is being unfair. People can't all afford the best or even average. And to be fair, the MG's are a lot of kit, well made for a very reasonable price tag. Political tensions aside, there is no reason not to buy them and if thats all you can afford, then who am I to judge them. People who can afford to buy otherwise still don't so I won't judge those that don't have an option.
Ford left the cheaper market in the hunt for margin...in doing so they have effectively relegated themselves to never be #1..perhaps that doesn't matter anymore.

When they were selling heaps of Falcons funnily enough it did....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Honda is now lost in a sea of simply better competition, their once loyal customer base has well and truly
moved on. Not meaning to completely dismiss Chinese sales, I just see the figures as a bit distorted when
so many other brands are currently stifled by poor supply, Chinese sales are growing but still not as much
as folks think. Tenth position on sales ladder just means that MGZ is on a long tail of comparatively low
sales spread out amongst many brands.

Another good sales month for Everest, imagine sales with new body and V6 diesel.
For the Chinese Sales thing, I think your bang on.. I saw a report that there was a ship with 4000 odd MG's on it that arrived and Chinese car co's are making there own semiconducors. It seems MG and the like are one of the few that don't seem to be having stock issues at the moment, unlike everyone else, which helps with numbers. Not to mention, if you needed a new car, and didnt care too much about being a brand snob, but could get an MG Tomorrow, versus a 6 month wait for the equivelant Hyundai/Kia/etc what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
So the same engine they were using in the Civic when I was a first year apprentice 11 years ago

I wonder if the CRV is still using the K series 4 cylinder that appeared in the late 1990s.

The last good car Honda sold was the 2nd generation Accord Euro.
Thankfully the K Series that was in the CRV (K24) is no more. When the current CRV was released 4-5 years ago the very base one got the 2 litre N/A and the rest got a 1.5 Turbo 4 cyl.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
For the Chinese Sales thing, I think your bang on.. I saw a report that there was a ship with 4000 odd MG's on it that arrived and Chinese car co's are making there own semiconducors. It seems MG and the like are one of the few that don't seem to be having stock issues at the moment, unlike everyone else, which helps with numbers. Not to mention, if you needed a new car, and didnt care too much about being a brand snob, but could get an MG Tomorrow, versus a 6 month wait for the equivelant Hyundai/Kia/etc what would you do?
Correct and much in the same vein as Japan Inc looking after its own brands first.
Anytime an article uses 400% increase of sales per month instead of say, 1,200/mth
you can see the screaming narrative for what it is, much about nothing.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the reasons Ford cant source Focus, Escape and Puma.
Almost all of its sales are Thai built Ranger-Everest vehicles.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #23
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
What are the reasons Ford cant source Focus, Escape and Puma.
Almost all of its sales are Thai built Ranger-Everest vehicles.
Supply. They're focusing on other markets with whatever stock they have

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #24
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80;

What are you smoking???

From the article:

Sales of electric cars continue to surge (up 273 per cent, with 515 examples reported as sold, not including Tesla as it does not supply figures).

Add your estimated 1,200 Tesla sales per month = 1,715 sales of EVs.

Hybrid market from the article

regular hybrids remain the dominant force in electrified vehicle sales (with 5152 reported). plug-in hybrid vehicles continue to climb (146 per cent, with 325 examples reported as sold).

This makes the total hybrid market =5,477

The 6,526 Chinese made vehicles:

MG = 3,313 (versus 1,115 last year) - much more than Tesla
GWM = 2,011 (versus 505 last year) - more then Tesla
LDV = 1,202 (versus 722 last year) - probably more than Tesla

Nearly ALL of them are outselling Tesla estimated sales number. And this has come on a huge increase in the last 12 months.

What this data shows is despite all the media spin, people are choosing cheap cars rather than environmentally conscious cars.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #25
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

What this data shows is despite all the media spin, people are choosing cheap cars rather than environmentally conscious cars.
What? It shows that more people can afford cheap cars than a car that is almost 3 times the cost. Its got nothing to do with being environmentally conscious or otherwise. Your statement only works if they were the same price or similarly priced.

Last edited by kypez; 05-08-2021 at 12:15 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #26
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
What? It shows that more people can afford cheap cars than a car that is almost 3 times the cost. Its got nothing to do with being environmentally conscious or otherwise.
Another substance abuser???

MG ZS EV Essence $42,990 brand new drive away price. Cheapest EV in Australia.

Where are these fuel powered vehicles for $15,000?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #27
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
MG ZS EV Essence $42,990 brand new drive away price. Cheapest EV in Australia.

Where are these fuel powered vehicles for $15,000?
And how much is this MG ZS non EV? $22k? Its double the price for their EV let alone 3 times the cost of the Entry level Tesla.

You have issues. You need help.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
And how much is this MG ZS non EV? $22k? Its double the price for their EV let alone 3 times the cost of the Entry level Tesla.
$42,990 is hardly unaffordable for a new car.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 05-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #29
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
$42,990 is hardly unaffordable for a new car.
Glad you can afford to say that. Many can't.

5 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Glad you can afford to say that. Many can't.

Ive noted it before but the majority of people are in financial stress or close too...these people buying the Chinese cars, it would be interesting to know what they are coming from.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post