Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
creeture3

Default Coil spring compressor

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody had purchased a hydraulic coil spring compressor, and, if so which one, and how would you rate it?

Examples :

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000-kg-...EAAOSw8d5ZSGCm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-Coi...kAAOSw3TFcyREe

And quite a few others are available from various suppliers

Thanks
creeture3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coil spring compressor

I have the one in your second link and its basically junk and not easy to get setup to deal with the pressures required as its way too sloppy etc. The top strap method is also super dangerous as its twists under pressure. Its typical Chinese crap so avoid it.

The one in the first link looks a tad better but whether it's still foolproof is another question but at least it has a basic safety cage.

If you are intending to change a heap of springs for testing the second could possibly be better.

But if you're just looking at doing a one off change taking it to a suspension shop is the smartest move. They will do a change in seconds and you may also get a freebee if you're lucky
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have the one in the first link. It's much bigger and heavier and space consuming than I expected but it seems OK though I admittedly haven't actually used it yet.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
creeture3

Quote:
If you are intending to change a heap of springs for testing the second could possibly be better.
Thanks for the replies :

I am not intending to do a lot, but I look after 4 cars that have Macpherson struts. ( kids who'd have 'em ) and I kmow I'll have to change a strut at sometime. I just don't trust the screw type

I am actually leaning towards the second one. as it does look a bit sturdier. It Also turns up in places like this:

https://goind.com.au/products/tradeq...SABEgKsJfD_BwE

at 160 bux more, and I can't see any difference......................
Old 27-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and I know I'll have to change a strut at sometime.

But the question is if, or when and how many times

IMHO surely you'd be better off spending this $275 on some other maintenance equipment or tool/s for these 4 cars and IF you need to change a strut get a shop to do it. It could end up sitting in your garage and NEVER be used.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
am actually leaning towards the second one. as it does look a bit sturdier. It Also turns up in places like this:

https://goind.com.au/products/tradeq...SABEgKsJfD_BwE

Isn't that the first one?
Old 27-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #7
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Have you considered one of these

Cheaper version

or expensive version

I have the more expensive one and cannot fault it
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
creeture3

Quote:
Have you considered one of these

Cheaper version

or expensive version

I have the more expensive one and cannot fault it
I have looked at those, but it's the muscle power needed to work it that I am not sure In can supply, being a 70+ yo. ( I really can't see the difference ???)

Quote:
IMHO surely you'd be better off spending this $275 on some other maintenance equipment or tool/s for these 4 cars and IF you need to change a strut get a shop to do it. It could end up sitting in your garage and NEVER be used.
Yeah, I reckon you've got a point there.