Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #18181
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

I2 more Covid casual contacts in isolation in a Perth!
Who just happen to be Doctors at one of Perths finest private hospitals, geez how do you replace 12 doctors for 14 days at short notice.
But, I know it's only WA so who cares?......well I and other residents of WA care, the fact one person can be a close casual contact to 12 different doctors is astounding really.

As reported by Peter Law, West Australian newspaper.
Old 28-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #18182
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I2 more Covid casual contacts in isolation in a Perth!
Who just happen to be Doctors at one of Perths finest private hospitals, geez how do you replace 12 doctors for 14 days at short notice.
But, I know it's only WA so who cares?......well I and other residents of WA care, the fact one person can be a close casual contact to 12 different doctors is astounding really.

As reported by Peter Law, West Australian newspaper.
With East West Rail line cut for a couple of weeks you may have a worse problem to worry about...................but that's for another thread.
Old 28-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #18183
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But, I know it's only WA so who cares?......well I and other residents of WA care
I care. My family cares. Believe me.

This border closure and the immediate future and direction of WA causes great concern and hassles for us.

Last edited by arm79; 28-01-2022 at 01:08 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #18184
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 27th 2022.

47,950 new cases for Australia and 77 deaths so the CMR is up to 0.142%. NSW reached a milestone with 1M cases since the pandemic began.

NZ recorded 97 cases and 0 deaths for a CMR of 0.328%.

The UK recorded 96,155 cases and 338 deaths for a CMR of 0.954%.

586,328 new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,914 deaths sees CMR at 1.212%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 366M;
Global deaths pass 5.65M, the last 50k in 5 days;
Europe sets a new daily high with 1,770,115 cases;
Europe passes 120M cases;
North America passes 87M cases;
South America passes 47M cases;
France passes 18M cases;
Sweden passes 2M cases;

Egypt (1,985);
Bahrain (5,255);
Estonia (6,238);
Kuwait (6,515);
Costa Rica (6,969);
Lebanon (9,199);
Lithuania (10,630);
South Korea (14,514);
Hungary (19,213);
Chile (24,037);
Ukraine (32,393);
Austria (43,053);
Denmark (47,914);
Czechia (54,685);
Poland (57,659);
Portugal (65,706);
Japan (69,736);
Turkey (82,180);
Russia (88,816) – the 7th consecutive day;
Germany (189,363); and
Brazil (228,972)

... all recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Albania move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 02-02-2022 at 12:44 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #18185
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But, I know it's only WA so who cares?......well I and other residents of WA care....
I care too.

I'm guessing WA is the only profit generating state at the moment. We need you to fund our lifestyles over in the east.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #18186
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, that is an improvement from yesterday I suppose. Is there actually a break down on delta vs omnicron? For cases, hospitilisations and deaths?

Only one approved rapid test in Australia explicitly states it detects Omicron
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...etects-omicron

Quote:
Only one of Australia’s 23 approved at-home rapid antigen tests explicitly states it will detect Omicron, as the Therapeutic Goods Administration carries out a review of all tests to check how they work with different variants of Covid-19.

Most of the product disclosures for tests list their ability to detect Delta and other variants, but not Omicron. However, manufacturers are providing evidence to the TGA of their tests’ effectiveness as it comes to hand.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #18187
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I was in our local Autobarn store the other day to get some supplies and spend a some of a gift card I got from Christmas.

Four staff members on the floor that day, NONE wearing masks. I took my stuff to the counter and handed over my gift card, the guy had to enter the card number manually, in the process deciding to scratch his lip with the card, wrote the balance on the card and then handed it back to me.

If I wasn't in such a hurry to get out of there, I would have given them all an attitude adjustment. Don't want to wear a mask at work? Fine, I don't want to wear one either. But I do for my own and my customers safety. The fact that all staff members were mask-less says more about the attitude of the stores management.

Not a good look for a well known national chain store. For the record, I will be reporting this store to head office as well as the relevant authorities. This is half the reason why we are still living with this Virus, selfish idiots who don't give a stuff.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #18188
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was a very interesting read.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...8b04a671a0f75b

What I understand Associate Professor Raj Puranik, a consultant cardiologist at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, is saying is that if a person develops a case of myocarditis as an immune response to the mRNA vaccine, this same person in an unvaccinated state could develop a deadly case of myocarditis because of lethal levels of unknown proteins from a covid infection.

Quote:
He explained how unvaccinated people who suffered myocarditis from Covid were more likely to die, because the virus presented foreign spike protein at doses the body had never seen before and was therefore incapable of managing.
Quote:
Vaccinated people on the other hand already had mechanisms in place from the vaccine, meaning if they did become infected, their body would be capable of fighting it.
Quote:
“So when people say [myocarditis] is vaccine-related, what’s happening is that the mRNA vaccine enters your body and disappears in a couple of days or even hours really, and it turns on your own body’s machinery to produce this protein that is foreign to your body, and then your body responds to it,” Dr Puranik said.
Quote:
“The really important issue here is that if you developed myocarditis after a vaccine, were you to have seen this protein from Covid itself, it could have killed you.

“It could have been lethal at the doses of virus and spike protein generated by the infection.”
So what he is saying for this particular group of people, having a mild case of myocarditis post vaccination is preferable to having a potentially severe case for that same group if unvaccinated but infected with covid.
Old 28-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #18189
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I was in our local Autobarn store the other day to get some supplies and spend a some of a gift card I got from Christmas.

Four staff members on the floor that day, NONE wearing masks. I took my stuff to the counter and handed over my gift card, the guy had to enter the card number manually, in the process deciding to scratch his lip with the card, wrote the balance on the card and then handed it back to me.

If I wasn't in such a hurry to get out of there, I would have given them all an attitude adjustment. Don't want to wear a mask at work? Fine, I don't want to wear one either. But I do for my own and my customers safety. The fact that all staff members were mask-less says more about the attitude of the stores management.

Not a good look for a well known national chain store. For the record, I will be reporting this store to head office as well as the relevant authorities. This is half the reason why we are still living with this Virus, selfish idiots who don't give a stuff.
Hmmmm covid or not I would have ripped into the guy for doing such a vile act of putting the card to his mouth area.
Would have demanded the card to be sanitised in front of you before being handed back.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #18190
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Four staff members on the floor that day, NONE wearing masks....

Maybe they all have mask exemptions. Seems to be the running excuse at the moment.
Old 28-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #18191
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Maybe they all have mask exemptions. Seems to be the running excuse at the moment.
had one last weekend here in the local iga
when he got to the counter he was asked why he wasnt wearing one
he promptly replied that he fell in the age group category not to need to wear one
then proceeded to as for a pack of cigarettes , and was promptly told by the till operator hes apparently to young to buy them if hes the age to not need a mask and was turned away
so he went down to to the bottleo to try his luck last i saw

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #18192
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd say they're on the right side of history, but I could be wrong.

Gonna suck for those that picked the wrong team.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #18193
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

I'm guessing that you're not in NSW, wearing masks here inside is the law.
Old 28-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #18194
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish they would get rid of these BS mandatory QR check-ins at this point. They already admitted they are not using the data for anything so it is pretty ****ing dumb at this point

I only do it still because technically you could be fined for not doing so and I'd rather do that than pay a fine or fight it out. Path of least resistance
Old 28-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #18195
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm guessing that you're not in NSW, wearing masks here inside is the law.
It is in Vic, too, where DFB resides.

Where face masks are required
Wearing a mask is required for everyone aged 8 and above in all indoor settings in Victoria (unless an exception applies, such as when in a home, when consuming food or drink, or when receiving beauty services).

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #18196
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
It is in Vic, too, where DFB resides.

Where face masks are required
Wearing a mask is required for everyone aged 8 and above in all indoor settings in Victoria (unless an exception applies, such as when in a home, when consuming food or drink, or when receiving beauty services).
You picked the wrong team.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #18197
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I get the impression that if you had to have an operation you'd be quite happy if none of the operating team were masked up?
Old 28-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #18198
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has been debate about masks lately and effectiveness of cloth masks and recommend N95s.

I have triple layer and could still smell the Lacquer and Thinner at the booze shop today when they were putting in new cabinets. So clearly room to move

I still think something is better than nothing but no way am I paying out again for N95. I wear a mask as legally obliged to do so and that is it
Old 28-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #18199
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Four 20 something blokes would unlikely need to be exempt from wearing a mask.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 10:41 PM   #18200
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
I have no idea how my post, which simply states what the rules are in the state, indicate any personal choice I've made.

And please don't judge my decisions: you have no idea about my personal circumstances and why I make those decisions.

I don't agree with the decisions you've made either, but I don't reply to your posts because I respect your right to make the decisions you feel are right for you. You could at least show me that same respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 29-01-2022, 04:02 AM   #18201
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love to see a trial, comparing a) Death, b) hospitalisation, and c) severe non hospital cases (3 or more days in bed?) across these groups
Group 1: all mask, sanitise, dont touch face, shields for retail workers, contact trace - the whole dystopian 9 yards
Group 2: only sick people wear masks, and everyone else uses heightened hygiene (Hand wash, don't touch face) (Maybe 2a using sanitiser as well)
Group 3: do nothing, live life like you did before

Personally I would volunteer to be in Group 2. If I was forced to choose between 1 and 3, I would choose 3

Last edited by EgoFG; 29-01-2022 at 04:16 AM.
Old 29-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #18202
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm in Victoria.

Remaining drivel removed.
Nice way to avoid discussing what this was about.

I know it's expecting waaaayy too much, especially on a public forum, but all you had to say was that you apologise and appreciate my point of view.

This is my last post 'discussing' this with you as I see that neither of us are going to get what we want out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by russellw; 29-01-2022 at 09:52 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #18203
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Nice way to avoid discussing what this was about.

I know it's expecting waaaayy too much, especially on a public forum, but all you had to say was that you apologise and appreciate my point of view.

This is my last post 'discussing' this with you as I see that neither of us are going to get what we want out of it.
You might get another you tube vid from "The Grim Reaper".................
Old 29-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #18204
slowsnake
Banned

Am I the only person here and elsewhere that thinks the threat from Covid-19 has changed our personalities a bit!
I notice some very nice laid back dudes starting to get frazzled about things that would normally just " pass over ya head " and put in the " I don't care basket "...........
4 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #18205
leesa

Quote:
Just look at the 100% idiots that drive around in a car by themselves with the windows up while wearing a mask - nothing can save them. They were already at the back of the pack pre-pandemic.
I can't believe the amount of you that still don't know how masks work.

Wearing a surgical mask or a cloth mask does not protect the wearer, it protects everyone else FROM the wearer. Consider these masks like a catalytic converter or a DPF - they prevent emissions created by the car from getting out into the atmosphere.
If you have a cough or are sneezing then you wear those masks to catch the droplets rather than letting them out into the atmosphere for everyone else to breathe in. People wearing those kinds of masks are not aiming to protect themselves, it's the other way around, they're doing a service to protect you from them so what you're doing is criticising someone who was likely sick and had the courtesy to not spread their germs around to others.

Have you ever seen an oil filter with gaps out the sides for particles to slip through? No of course you haven't, that'd be useless, the oil would take the path of least resistance and go around the gaps rather than through the filter.
You need a specific type of mask rated N95 or more for the mask to flip capabilities and offer protection to the wearer instead.

Masks rated N95+ will fit more tightly so that inhaled air is forced through the filtering and nothing gets breathed in unfiltered by the wearer. Consider these masks like engine bay air filters, they stop airborne particles from getting sucked into your engine.
They also offer protection to others (exhaled air will be forced through the filtering too) unless they have a valve in them, in which case they will filter what the wearer breathes in but when the wearer exhales the valve will pop open and share it with others. Those people are maskholes.

So to summarise and hopefully make it clearer for people....
  • surgical masks and cloth masks filter on EGRESS. they protect everyone other than the wearer.
  • N95+ masks have no gaps for air to slip through, they filter INGRESS AND EGRESS. they protect both the wearer and everyone else.
  • N95+ masks with vents/valves. they filter INGRESS ONLY and only protect the wearer as exhaled air will pop open the valve and vent it out to share with others.

3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #18206
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I would love to see a trial, comparing a) Death, b) hospitalisation, and c) severe non hospital cases (3 or more days in bed?) across these groups
Group 1: all mask, sanitise, dont touch face, shields for retail workers, contact trace - the whole dystopian 9 yards
Group 2: only sick people wear masks, and everyone else uses heightened hygiene (Hand wash, don't touch face) (Maybe 2a using sanitiser as well)
Group 3: do nothing, live life like you did before

Personally I would volunteer to be in Group 2. If I was forced to choose between 1 and 3, I would choose 3
You know what?.....
I think it's already happening and we just don't get to hear about it, it probably remains under privilege because the results may be too daunting for some folk!
Old 29-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #18207
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Four 20 something blokes would unlikely need to be exempt from wearing a mask.
Sorry I was being facetious there. I knew what you were trying to say, just trying to inject a little humor.

As far as I know Victoria has plugged all the loopholes for facemasks and its definitely likely they would exempt from wearing one.

Queensland hasn't. It is mandatory to wear masks in indoor public settings, but you don't need one if you if you have a valid reason not to. And then you don't have to provide proof or a medical certificate to substantiate your "exemption".

It's one of those catch-22, dog chasing its own tail, not all disabilities can be seen situations... And that's how it's played.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #18208
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia
NSW records 13,354 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.9280 from 0.9361) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend line.

VIC records 12,250 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate decreases to 0.9562 (from 0.9631) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend.

The NT (940) sets a new daily high.

Here is the predictive trend graph for three States based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 29-01-2022 at 12:48 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #18209
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I can't believe the amount of you that still don't know how masks work.

Wearing a surgical mask or a cloth mask does not protect the wearer, it protects everyone else FROM the wearer. Consider these masks like a catalytic converter or a DPF - they prevent emissions created by the car from getting out into the atmosphere.
If you have a cough or are sneezing then you wear those masks to catch the droplets rather than letting them out into the atmosphere for everyone else to breathe in. People wearing those kinds of masks are not aiming to protect themselves, it's the other way around, they're doing a service to protect you from them so what you're doing is criticising someone who was likely sick and had the courtesy to not spread their germs around to others.

Have you ever seen an oil filter with gaps out the sides for particles to slip through? No of course you haven't, that'd be useless, the oil would take the path of least resistance and go around the gaps rather than through the filter.
You need a specific type of mask rated N95 or more for the mask to flip capabilities and offer protection to the wearer instead.

Masks rated N95+ will fit more tightly so that inhaled air is forced through the filtering and nothing gets breathed in unfiltered by the wearer. Consider these masks like engine bay air filters, they stop airborne particles from getting sucked into your engine.
They also offer protection to others (exhaled air will be forced through the filtering too) unless they have a valve in them, in which case they will filter what the wearer breathes in but when the wearer exhales the valve will pop open and share it with others. Those people are maskholes.

So to summarise and hopefully make it clearer for people....
  • surgical masks and cloth masks filter on EGRESS. they protect everyone other than the wearer.
  • N95+ masks have no gaps for air to slip through, they filter INGRESS AND EGRESS. they protect both the wearer and everyone else.
  • N95+ masks with vents/valves. they filter INGRESS ONLY and only protect the wearer as exhaled air will pop open the valve and vent it out to share with others.
Be gentle, it is a car forum..
Old 29-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #18210
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Am I the only person here and elsewhere that thinks the threat from Covid-19 has changed our personalities a bit!
I notice some very nice laid back dudes starting to get frazzled about things that would normally just " pass over ya head " and put in the " I don't care basket "...........
No you're not. It's been strange to watch the changing of peoples personalities and attitudes. I can only assume they've become a product of their environment and circumstance, for better or worse.

I used to enjoy listening to a mid morning Sydney talkback radio show. Didn't always agree with what they had to say, but I enjoyed the different points of view, discussions and the persons dogged determination in getting answers to questions not many people asked or let slide.

One day overnight it became the covid show. 3 hours of covid talk. The place for listeners and the public to report infractions where they would be named and shamed for the rest of the show and reported to the authorities with followup as to the resulting penalty.

I haven't listened to that show in at least 6 months, but I understand the host continues to behave the same.

P.S. I'm not criticising or trying to insult members in anyways. Your point of view is your point of view. Just commenting in the same vein as slowsnake how things have changed.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread