Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Default Holden Concept Car For SMS 2005 Is..

Thought you guys might want to know what ford will be up against at the SMS :

I was told that the concept car that Holden will unveil next week at the Sydney Motor Show will be a retro car, with 20" wheels and a certain 500hp latest tech engine shoved in and drivetrain :evil3:
Not sure if i should say what model exactly as it might ruin the surprise :

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #2
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Well come on then? Cant make a post like that and keep quiet. out:
Old 07-10-2005, 03:21 AM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

It's still a surprise regardless of when we know! SO shoot :P

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an FJ.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Thought you guys might want to know what ford will be up against at the SMS :

I was told that the concept car that Holden will unveil next week at the Sydney Motor Show will be a retro car, with 20" wheels and a certain 500hp latest tech engine shoved in and drivetrain :evil3:
Not sure if i should say what model exactly as it might ruin the surprise :
Is it long wheel base??
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO i reakon concept cars are way over rated, i ignore them at Motor Shows, they're a waste of time.
I prefer to look at what's around forsale now, not fantasise over what will probably never happen!
I can appreciate the effort that goes into design as an art form but really they're only there to drag people onto the stand to sell them on the current range.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps by those hints a last gasp special Monaro with extra grunt
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Perhaps by those hints a last gasp special Monaro with extra grunt
Monaro is dead...... They're not going to flog a dead horse.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
paul7v7
bring it on

it might be the yellow chev concept ute thing that looks like a retro FJ
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
latest tech engine shoved in
So it won't have an LS1/LS2/LS6/LSwhatever in it then?
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
IMO i reakon concept cars are way over rated, i ignore them at Motor Shows, they're a waste of time.
I dont know but I reckon concepts are a good thing. Some can be over the top but It shows the company is thinking of new things and being creative.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #12
XR Davo

Speaking of retro, I'm hoping Ford display a top spec 05 Mustang. That would spice things up a bit.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
I prefer to look at what's around forsale now, not fantasise over what will probably never happen!
In an unusual twist, I beg to differ! :1syellow1 How about the "Batmobile" from Maybach then? Not interested?

Quote:
I can appreciate the effort that goes into design as an art form but really they're only there to drag people onto the stand to sell them on the current range.
Of course! Motor shows are about two things - excitement and information. Without the excitement you may as well spend a day (for FREE I might add) simply strolling around your local dealerships, rather than paying $18 for the privilege. If a manufacturer isn't showcasing an unreleased upcoming model or displaying a concept, then what in the hell have they got to offer for everyone that's not actively considering their cars? The most boring motor show I have been to had only one concept on show (out of all the manufacturers present!), nearly no exotic marques, and had far more mainstream manufacturers. The Suzuki stand, for example, was bulging that year - and didn't that really get my blood pumping! Six varieties of Swift to look at! Automotive heaven! :party3:

Things are different, of course, if a manufacturer is actually building and selling an exciting car, like the new Aston V8 Vantage (which will be shown at SMS). If the manufacturer is less exotic and more mainstream, it is up to them to draw a crowd, since for most of them, their entire model range simply isn't worth paying to see. Cue the concept car to "drag people to their stand". Unless you were in the market for one of their models, why would you even waste time at their stand if there was nothing of interest there? Also, let's not forget that these concepts also often serve a dual purpose, to show future styling cues. Many European and Japanese manufacturers have done this in recent times, as toe-in-the-water exercises to get feedback on their design directions. It's a bit hard to do that with "current production" models only isn't it?

Oh and it is confirmed that the Holden one will be a "modernised" FJ:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
In an unusual twist, I beg to differ! :1syellow1 How about the "Batmobile" from Maybach then? Not interested?

Of course! Motor shows are about two things - excitement and information. Without the excitement you may as well spend a day (for FREE I might add) simply strolling around your local dealerships, rather than paying $18 for the privilege. If a manufacturer isn't showcasing an unreleased upcoming model or displaying a concept, then what in the hell have they got to offer for everyone that's not actively considering their cars? The most boring motor show I have been to had only one concept on show (out of all the manufacturers present!), nearly no exotic marques, and had far more mainstream manufacturers. The Suzuki stand, for example, was bulging that year - and didn't that really get my blood pumping! Six varieties of Swift to look at! Automotive heaven! :party3:

Things are different, of course, if a manufacturer is actually building and selling an exciting car, like the new Aston V8 Vantage (which will be shown at SMS). If the manufacturer is less exotic and more mainstream, it is up to them to draw a crowd, since for most of them, their entire model range simply isn't worth paying to see. Cue the concept car to "drag people to their stand". Unless you were in the market for one of their models, why would you even waste time at their stand if there was nothing of interest there? Also, let's not forget that these concepts also often serve a dual purpose, to show future styling cues. Many European and Japanese manufacturers have done this in recent times, as toe-in-the-water exercises to get feedback on their design directions. It's a bit hard to do that with "current production" models only isn't it?

Oh and it is confirmed that the Holden one will be a "modernised" FJ:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html
Oh i can apreciate how and why concept vehicles exist, and they do allow car manufaturers to be creative and float new concepts and gauge public reaction, and some might be "interesting" to look at but most people who attend motorshows do so because they're considering a new purchase and use the Show as a convenient forum to compare models in close proximity of each other.
You are right though, most motorshows are boring regardless of concept cars or not because you can save $18 bucks and do the leg work yourself!
The only time id bother attending a motorshow is to compare models or see a significant new product release that might be a consideration for purchase, however the car will be in the dealer sooner or later anyway...
Dreaming or window shopping don't really interest me that much.
Ive been to the Motorshow tonnes of times but i can't remember the last time i went and actually thought wow i got value for money!!

Last edited by 4Vman; 07-10-2005 at 12:00 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
que stage right Mr Wet Blanket.......... DAMN man why so negative all the time? get some more fibre into you diet
Old 07-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
WASP
Whipple Induced

FJ?? I never liked that model, but then again at least their doing something fun to keep the interest. Admittedly I fine the most exciting concepts are the one's that we're lead to believe may become reality like previous examples Holden have shown. Knowing it will 'never' get off the ground actually spoils it for me :(
Old 07-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
que stage right Mr Wet Blanket.......... DAMN man why so negative all the time? get some more fibre into you diet
Negative??? : im one of the more "Pro" positive people here! Im normally trying to see the positive side of Ford products, unlike a few others who love to slag them at every opportunity.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
FJ?? I never liked that model, but then again at least their doing something fun to keep the interest. Admittedly I fine the most exciting concepts are the one's that we're lead to believe may become reality like previous examples Holden have shown. Knowing it will 'never' get off the ground actually spoils it for me :(
Exactly my point, im excited by opportunity, not fantasy, unless there's a damn good chance it will make it onto a showroom floor in the next 12-24 months im not really interested.
Those cars are the ones that i see as worthwhile concepts.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
SSbaby
Banned

I wonder if the FJ will be Holden's version of the Chevrolet SSR?

EDIT: Just read the article... it's only a show pony and will not be slated for production. :(
Old 07-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I wonder if the FJ will be Holden's version of the Chevrolet SSR?

EDIT: Just read the article... it's only a show pony and will not be slated for production. :(
Damn... the Chev SSR is one hot ute. I'd entertain buying one!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Exactly my point, im excited by opportunity, not fantasy, unless there's a damn good chance it will make it onto a showroom floor in the next 12-24 months im not really interested.
Those cars are the ones that i see as worthwhile concepts.
Then why didn't you just say so you sad negative bastard!!: :

(joking)
Old 07-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Holden really are in trouble if this is what they are coming up with... much like Ford's previous efforts (nothing to get really excited about).

But like 4Vman, i'd much rather see a concept that lends itself to where we're headed in the future, rather than a rehash of a rust bucket that never has an intention of actually being anything.

I hope Holden have some VE goodies up their sleeve, because i doubt this will draw a croud of substantial numbers.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #23
SSbaby
Banned

Well, I gave it some thought... concepts don't just happen for no reason. Maybe Holden is testing the water with this concept? Maybe it's just a way to woo the crowd away from other displays?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Perhaps the driveline... But im sure it would have been more appropriate to put the driveline into a modern design rather than the old as it would better establish the link to a possible production outcome rather than an old show pony.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #25
Pik0

I have a feeling that it would be the second one out of those...
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #26
EFFalcon
Last warning

i wonder if it really is 500hp...
i mean really... why puy 500hp into a concept car :/
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #27
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Well, I gave it some thought... concepts don't just happen for no reason. Maybe Holden is testing the water with this concept? Maybe it's just a way to woo the crowd away from other displays?
It's most definitely a ploy to get attention, especially if they are not ready to show any VE models as yet. The article said that some VE clues will be featured on the car so I guess that's the 'interest' point and the FJ body is the distracting fun part. They also said the car was built on a Commodore platform so maybe that's the new Zeta platform demonstrating it's versatility.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #28
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Because they have no need to justify it most likely.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #29
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
LS7 or blown 6.2L or even 3.6TT.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote: