Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Call to lower speed limits to reduce Koala deaths

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226143836894

Quote:
SPEED limits should be lowered, wild dog controls tightened and research funding boosted to stop the decline of koala numbers, a Senate committee has recommended.
http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committ...report/c04.htm

Quote:
4.78 The high incidence of koalas being killed by road vehicles was raised as a significant threat to their survival. The Friends of the Koala submitted that car strikes are the second most common cause of koalas being admitted into care and the second most common cause of mortality. The Sunshine Coast Environment Council believes that there is little capacity for resilience with car strikes and recovery options must be urgently investigated. According to the Queensland Department of Environment and Resource Management, there were 4553 reported motor vehicle strikes in south-east Queensland between 1997 and 2009, resulting in more than 3400 koala fatalities.

Recommendation 13
4.90 The committee recommends that local and state governments:
  • introduce appropriate speed limits in priority koala areas
Although there are plenty of other recommendations within this senate report (Bridges, wildlife crossings, signage, etc), I wonder if reducing speed limits would reduce Koala deaths as there are no real statistics to say that x amount of Koalas would not be killed at x kph slower...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Call to lower speed limits to reduce Koala deaths

At mission beach in far north QLD there are sections of road which has a reduced speed limit because of the almost extint cassowarys. There are very large signs posted everywhere.

There is also a Mahoganny glider crossing near Tully, where large towers have been erected and a large rope strung across the highway so they can cross.

The real problem is that roads are built in areas where Koalas live as well as housing developments which has destroyed their habits.

Reducing the speed limit in those areas may give you more time to brake thereby giving them a bit more of a chance, but i doubt that it would do much to lower the toll.

The only possible way would be to fence large areas of the road where they live and put tunnels under the road (as has been done in other areas).

But of course this costs MONEY... and its just easier to lower the speed limit.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think hitting a koala (or any other living creature) won't matter if you're going 80 or 100 really.
Old 22-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work reckons we can only do max speed of 90 at night to avoid kangaroos.

How often do Koalas actually get hit. I have not seen any dead or alive on the road before.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
stang65
FPRJET

They really should learn to look both ways before they cross the road.
Old 22-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Habitat destruction, dogs, and cats are the koalas' main problems.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
]I wonder if reducing speed limits would reduce Koala deaths as there are no real statistics to say that x amount of Koalas would not be killed at x kph slower...
They'll have some stats after they reduce the limits.....there is a little knowledge out there that says slower = better chance of avoiding things that aren't moving so fast.....perhaps contemplate how speed reductions in school zones has reduced roadkill outside schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i think hitting a koala (or any other living creature) won't matter if you're going 80 or 100 really.
Sure hitting one at 80 or 100 isnt going to be pretty, but possibly the idea is

1. if you are going 80km/h rather than 100km/h then when you see them and brake that you are going at a much slower speed when you do hit them, and/or that you are able to manoeuvre/avoid/stop hitting them in the first place.

2. The Koala itself has far more time to react, after noticing the car approaching

As such no actual amount of reduction has been mentioned. Not an expert on koalas but a lot of the time they are in mountain areas/twisty roads where speeds would be under 100km/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
How often do Koalas actually get hit. I have not seen any dead or alive on the road before.
The references listed say 4500 reported hits and 3400 fatalities in QLD in 12 years, about the same as the QLD people road toll over the same period. The report doesn’t mention what proportion of roads they are talking about, perhaps only the roads where you see the signs showing koalas crossing the roads.

Last edited by sudszy; 22-09-2011 at 09:01 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Take them all away and put them in a zoo, problem solved.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
jjw
powered by Ford

I don't see why everybody else has to slow down just because the koalas are driving too fast - shouldn't they just be speed limited, like trucks?
jjw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Perhaps, just perhaps, the emphasis on 'keeping your eyes on the road' has been all too much for some drivers? In my travels of southern Vic (prime koala country), I very rarely, in ten years saw a koala during the day on the roads - it was usually always at night.

When my dad first taught me to drive, he asked me a question, regarding roo's, but works on the same principle. "If you're driving on a road at night, and there's a roo on the road, what's the first thing you do?" Being 16 and a little naive at the time, I responded 'slow down?' - The answer was yes to slowing down, but the more important factor he pointed out was that if I was driving at night, it was likely that my high beams were on, possibly dazing the animal on the road to a point where they wouldn't/couldn't move.

On the other hand, Koala's aren't fast creatures, sure they can move if they want to - but they normally amble across the road, stoned from their last dinner of eucalyptus leaves. Observation to the edges of the road to see what's coming from the sides may be beneficial, but in saying that, reducing the limit might work as well.

When I worked at the vets, I witnessed something, well a little odd. A person had brought in a koala that they had hit on the road - they were sure they had killed. The vet did a quick exam, and when she touched it's chest, well...it wasn't dead, in fact very much alive, and very bloody angry...

This whole thing may be a bit reactive though, particularly when the article references 'climate change' as a possible reason for the decline, and the diseases, particularly 'chlamydia' seem to be an afterthought, even though from my understanding, that was the biggest problem that they had after land clearing. But don't let the truth get in the way of the 'anti speed' agenda...

The number of koalas seems to be very broad as well...between 43k & 84k...if they don't know how many there are, how do they know there's a decline in the population?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know...I don't know if I've just been driving in the wrong areas for the last thirty years of driving, but i've never seen a dead koala on any of the states roads all up and down the coastline which i've been on...
I've seen hundreds of poor old echidnas flattenened, but never a koala.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy

This whole thing may be a bit reactive though, particularly when the article references 'climate change' as a possible reason for the decline, and the diseases, particularly 'chlamydia' seem to be an afterthought, even though from my understanding, that was the biggest problem that they had after land clearing. But don't let the truth get in the way of the 'anti speed' agenda...

The number of koalas seems to be very broad as well...between 43k & 84k...if they don't know how many there are, how do they know there's a decline in the population?
are you happy with the 3400 koalas sacrificed to road kill in QLD, or disputing those numbers based on that they are part of the overall plot for the government/scientist conspiracy to introduce a carbon tax and gain more revenue from speed cameras.

Last edited by sudszy; 23-09-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Certain Koala areas, don't see an issue.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw
I don't see why everybody else has to slow down just because the koalas are driving too fast - shouldn't they just be speed limited, like trucks?
LOL, Id like to see more Patrol cars equipped with Eucalyptus testing kits on board.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much can a Koala bear?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno about koalas but see how you are travelling after hitting a full grown wombat at 100kph. They destroy your front end
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" How much can a Koala bear? "

Youd be surprised .

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-wedged-in-car
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow that's amazing. Can't believe he survived the impact. Bet he was cranky.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Depends on where they change the limits. That will determine if its all in good will or just another revenue idea.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

they have rope overpasses for possums, they have drain tunnels for crabs.

but cant reduce a koala, echidna, wombat fatality??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
Angeldust

10 years ago they tried having 'koala' zones in the Redland shire. The speed was reduced form 80 to 60kph between 7pm and 7am during the koala season months.

needless to say after a few years they reverted back to normal, as the reduced speed limits had no effect.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
10 years ago they tried having 'koala' zones in the Redland shire. The speed was reduced form 80 to 60kph between 7pm and 7am during the koala season months.

needless to say after a few years they reverted back to normal, as the reduced speed limits had no effect.
You are half correct(there is plenty of literature available here), the speed limits were reduced but the speeds weren't actually reduced, motorists ignoring them

Last edited by sudszy; 27-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Angeldust

the bigger problem was/is land clearing for estates.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of people who line up wildlife with thier tyre and gun it.

Well they say they do that, don't know if they are just trying to act hardcore or what.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #25
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only way other animals will survive is for humans to die out. this will occur on 21st december 2012.

it's true i saw it on the www
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who do that should be lined up with an AK47 and shot … I like the little koala bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I know of people who line up wildlife with thier tyre and gun it.

Well they say they do that, don't know if they are just trying to act hardcore or what.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
the bigger problem was/is land clearing for estates.
Yup 100% correct..... us humans just love to destroy the natural habitat of the local wildlife, then whinge when kangaroos attack people, possums poo on cars, dingoes take their babies and koalas commit suicide under peoples cars!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #28
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
People who do that should be lined up with an AK47 and shot … I like the little koala bears
I'm happy to pull the trigger on the AK 47 .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #29
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sudsy "The number of koalas seems to be very broad as well...between 43k & 84k...if they don't know how many there are, how do they know there's a decline in the population?".....
Less dead koalas on the road.
And I do not hear anybody crying about the 1000s of roos and wallabies killed on our roads each year. Aren't they native animals? Broken Hill Council has a bloke who goes along the Barrier Highway , used to be daily, just dragging dead roos, emus, wallabies and stock off the road out of sight. You knew they were there though, due to the stench especially in warmer weather.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #30
69XWGT

I live in Redland city(only called a city so the councillors could get paid more)
that goes absolutely stupid over Koalas.
They have flashing lights on the side of the road,that when you approach , regardless of how fast your going will say ' whoa you going to fast'
I tried it one day and went past at 20kph it they still flashed the same message.
They were supposed to cost the rate payers around 50 grand but ended up around 250 grand.
The council here is so green that they don't even follow their own by-laws regarding tree protection and trying to remove one that their local laws say you can is like trying to organise a trip to the moon and even thenthey will come up with all the ******** in the world saying you can't.
About the only way is through the courts
There is absolutely no balance between where people live and the enviroment.

This council is so over the top they have planted over 20000 eucalyptus tetracornis as street trees. Commonly known as widow makers by the bushies.
So now this council has a heap of people with damaged cars and it's only going to get worse as they grow.

Save the people , eat a Koala
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post