Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Nige76
Nige

Default thermo fans keep coming on

Hi there. We have a 99 AU Station Wagon with 250,000 km on the clock that has been running nicely until recently.

A couple of weeks ago my misses was driving along when this old fool lost a whole heap of scrap metal of the back of his truck. With no time to react she ran over it all with the sound of a few creaks and groans being heard below the car. We had it put on a hoist and found no damage below.

But, ever since then the thermo fans keep coming on when the car is not running hot or the air con is turned on. There is water in it and the tempreture is normal. But the bloody fans are sapping the power out of the battery as it konked out the other morning. She had the wipers, the radio and the heater fan going when it was covered in due and mist inside. She turned into a street and it just died. It only started a couple of minutes later.

Is there a sensor or something down there that could be damaged? used:

Nige76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige76
Hi there. We have a 99 AU Station Wagon with 250,000 km on the clock that has been running nicely until recently.

A couple of weeks ago my misses was driving along when this old fool lost a whole heap of scrap metal of the back of his truck. With no time to react she ran over it all with the sound of a few creaks and groans being heard below the car. We had it put on a hoist and found no damage below.

But, ever since then the thermo fans keep coming on when the car is not running hot or the air con is turned on. There is water in it and the tempreture is normal. But the bloody fans are sapping the power out of the battery as it konked out the other morning. She had the wipers, the radio and the heater fan going when it was covered in due and mist inside. She turned into a street and it just died. It only started a couple of minutes later.

Is there a sensor or something down there that could be damaged? used:

there is a sensor in the engine bay that is on the heater lines from the engine..

unsure where it is on the I6's but i am sure it will look much the same.. i know tis because i unplug my sensor to have the fans come on when i was towing to make sure to keep all cool

i will see if i can find where it is located..

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

if that is the case, the car won't die...

It sounds like you may need a new bat. It's not uncommon for the fans to run when it's not hot, and the thermo's will ALWAYS kick in when the aircon is on...

If the car is driving, no matter what you have turned on, it should not die, as the altenator should be charging the bat....

Kinda sounds like the story where a rubbish truck lost it's load out the front of a Canberra Police Station the other month - lol.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post