Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #271
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Month/year build:Apr 07
Spec Level: LS XR5
KMs at time of fault: 500
Symtoms: Not holding 6th
Fault: Gearbox
Fixed? By: New Gearbox

Only took ford 15 months and 24,000 k's before they finally authorize a replacement gearbox. Dealer always wanted to do a gearbox, but ford wouldn't sign off on a new box until all avenues had been exhausted.
Several weeks after the gearbox was replaced, while leaving a car park, the engine came off the engine mounts. Car towed to ford and the part required took about 5 weeks to arrive at the dealership. No 5th or 6th gear in that time.

Car was traded 4 days after the repair was made. Happy to see the back of it.

Worst car I have ever owned in terms of reliability.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #272
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64ORD
The car is just coming up to 15K and there is a clicking noise coming from the drive train when you release the clutch to move forward or backwards. This started a while ago but is getting worse. Car still drives fine with no vibrations. Sounds like a CV joint?

Also what sounds like the clutch release bearing rattling. This stops when you press the clutch pedal in.

The car is due for its 15K service and I will be raising these issues with the service dept. Any suggestions or info on similar experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers Johnny
Hi Johnny,

Just wondering if you ever got these two issues fixed and if so, what were the problems?

I've got a 2007 LT Focus Zetec Sedan with ~23,000km on the clock and the description above is exactly what I'm experiencing except the noise when gearing in happens only occasionally and mainly when steering is full lock or close to it.

I think they might be related.

Have owned this car for about 2 weeks now. Didn't realise these were 'problems' when I test drove the car until I found this thread.

Unfortunately this car was an economic write off due to light hail damage so isn't covered by Ford warranty any more =\ so hoping to find ways to fix this myself or take it into a mechanic and point them straight to the problem

Appreciate any info you guys might have.

Month/year build: August 2007
Spec Level: LT Zetec Sedan
KMs at time of fault: ~22,000
Symtoms: slight rattling when clutch is fully released. occasional clicking noise when clutching in
Fault: not sure yet, hoping to find out.
Fixed? By: not yet, will report back.
Comments: the rattling sound in the clutch stops when I press the clutch in

the occasional noise I get when clutching in seems to happen most when I've got the steering in full lock or close to it

Btw great forum guys!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #273
BlackLS
yum

I can't see how cosmetic damage can void the warranty on the drivetrain. Take it in to a dealer and get them to fix the prob under warranty

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #274
rand0mn00b

I think so too but in the user manual it says in one of the opening pages if the car has been a 'write off' then it is no longer covered by warranty
Old 22-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #275
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
I think so too but in the user manual it says in one of the opening pages if the car has been a 'write off' then it is no longer covered by warranty
Id say that would be structual write off.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #276
mohit

Month/Year build: Dec 2008
Spec level: LT LX auto hatch
KMs at time of fault: 3,000 km
Fault: Oil leak from front passenger side of engine bay
Fixed by: Strapp Ford Doncaster
Comments: Noticed an oil leak on the garage floor a couple of weeks before the 3,000 km service. Turned out to be a faulty seal in the CV half shaft on the front passenger side of the car. Fixed under warranty by Strapp Ford Doncaster.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #277
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Month/Year build: May 2008
Spec level: LV XR5 Turbo
KMs at time of fault: 900km :
Fault: Oil leak from front of engine.
Fixed by: Nova Ford.
Comments: After reversing out of the garage I noticed oil drops under the car. After looking into the engine bay with a torch I noticed oil had been spraying from the front of the engine.

The cause of the fault was the O-Ring where the dipstick tube joins to the motor. An easy fix. This was done very promptly at Nova Ford.

Last edited by WILDB; 21-04-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Incorrect details changed.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #278
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
the occasional noise I get when clutching in seems to happen most when I've got the steering in full lock or close to it

i get this noise when i have the car in reverse and turn, then dip the clutch in. i get a single clunk noise. i only noticed this when my eibachs got fitted....but might have been there prior.

any solution?
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #279
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I can't see how cosmetic damage can void the warranty on the drivetrain. Take it in to a dealer and get them to fix the prob under warranty
well I've emailed a few dealers and they all say the same thing =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyTDCi
i get this noise when i have the car in reverse and turn, then dip the clutch in. i get a single clunk noise. i only noticed this when my eibachs got fitted....but might have been there prior.

any solution?
I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but I've deduced that it only happens when I'm turning right.

It now happens even if I hold the steering slightly to the right for prolonged periods of time when taking a large bend.

It's worst when I'm quickly braking, pressing clutch and turning right around a sharp bend I will also hear a single clunk, but it sounds like some metal is scraping against the bottom of my car. it stops once the ESP faulty lights come on

And I'm also hearing what sounds like some springy noises. The most similar noise I can think of is when you lean back on an office chair and you can hear the spring compressing... it sounds like that. This continues even after the fault light comes in

So it sounds like driveshaft/CV joint/maybe ABS or ESP sensor related - might be costly without warranty =(
Old 29-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #280
ASBO
Starter Motor

I have a few problems.
My car is an 07 LS LX.
1. Cracking sound in seat-fixed by dealer. Was OK for a while but now the seat is creaky.
2. Poor paint on door sills. Looks like paint spatter and all finishes were dead flat. Inside of door handles were missing paint too. Paint was repaired but to a poor standard. Front door has a ding in it now. Gave up on that one!
3. Clutch bearing noise. At first the dealer said it was a normal Focus noise but I didn't stand for it and they adjusted it.
4. Poor alignment on rear passenger door-too late for me to get it fixed.
5. Rattles in rear quarter window, squeaks in dash-too late for me to get it fixed.
6. Leak in boot-didn't ask them to fix it. Adelaide has been really dry and I only noticed it later on in the piece.
7. Keyfob will only onlock the doors and not the tailgate. I am unable to open the tailgate. Funny thing is though......when you take off, as soon as you apply the brake, the tailgate unlocks and rattles because it is open.

I can't work the last one out. I am taking it to Ford to get them to fix it. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone else had this issue with the central locking/tailgate freezing/opening in motion?

Cheers
Darren

P.S. some problems I have let go/turned a blind eye to because I don't have time to go back to the dealer all the time. This purchase has left a foul taste in my mouth. I am not a Ford fan but I liked the shape of the focus so I bought one. Never again.
ASBO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #281
fishontherun
Starter Motor

Quote:
I am not a Ford fan but I liked the shape of the focus so I bought one. Never again.
same here. car thumps from second to first gear at every slow down. They tell me that's "normal operation". Pfft.
fishontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #282
ASBO
Starter Motor

BTW, the problem with my boot not releasing and then coming open during motion has magically fixed itself. Don't ask me how. I looked at the fuses and they were ok. Took the tailgate trim off to check for water ingress but all dry. Oh well, better ring up the Ford dealer to cancel.
ASBO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #283
BlackLS
yum

Water inside the the wiring/microswitch for the tailgate handle - which probably evaporated.

I had it once and it also went away.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #284
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

45,000 log book service - City Ford, Rockdale

Showed them the clicking/snapping noise coming from the front right when moving off. Replacing of front discs and pads required and given as the reason for the noise. Quoted $641. Tyres also need replacing. I opted to get the parts and work done elsewhere. I'm pretty sure about what I wanna get but still working out where to go. Suggestions welcome.

They fixed the wiper chatter I forgot to tell them about so I was quite happy with that. They also cleaned the car which probably had something to do with it.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #285
Peter Daley
Starter Motor

Month/Year build: November 2005
Spec level: CL Smooth Pack
KMs at time of fault: 62,000
Fault: Rear left and right quarter glass water leak
Fixed by: QFORD
Comments: Fixed under warranty
Peter Daley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #286
Peter Daley
Starter Motor

KMs at time of fault: 75,000
Fault: Rust in the bottom of front passenger door.
Fixed by: QFORD
Comments: Fixed under warranty
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #287
Peter Daley
Starter Motor

KMs at time of fault: 92,000
Fault: Front left strut bearing plate
Fixed by: To be determined
Comments: Car out of warranty 2 months. Not covered by Factory warranty or aftermarket warranty. Started as a squeak in the front end over speed bumps, changed to a clunk when driving in and out of driveways. Car felt a little unsure over bumps at about 85,000km. To replace the bearing plate you also need to replace the strut. When replacing one strut you need to replace the matching strut for good measure. Total quoted cost $802 for part and 3-4 hours labor at $120 per hour. My fault for letting the squeaking sound go and not getting it looked at under warranty. My servicing dealer, not ford, called ford and was advised to look in the strut bearing area as they have been getting a few cars in with this problem. Ford obviously know about the problem as they directed my new dealer straight towards the problem.

Last edited by Peter Daley; 18-05-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 18-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #288
Peter Daley
Starter Motor

Month/Year build: September 2003
Spec level: CL Sedan
KMs at time of fault: 22,000, 28,000 45,000 49,000 53,000
Fault: Roof lining sagging, rear towing cover on back bumper bar fell of on dirt road, self closing air conditioning vents x 2, Alternator replaced, front end clunking over speed bumps.
Fixed by: Q Ford
Comment - Roof lining replaced however car badly damaged internally during process. Dealer had to replace several trim pieces due to damage and remove several glue stains. Dealer replace tow hook cover free of charge and without asking. Centre A/C vents replace twice under warranty as they closed when A/C put on full. Alternator replaced under warranty. Dealer acknowledged clunking noise but could not find it. Could possibly be related to strut bearing plate failure the same as my current focus. Sold the car just after the warranty expired as did not have faith in the car as the dealer couldn't diagnose the problem.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #289
rand0mn00b

Spec Level: LT Focus Zetec Sedan
KMs at time of fault: once in a while since ~22,000 more frequent since ~24,000
Symptoms: crunching noise happening in the front wheels followed by an ESP/ABS system error
Fault: faulty tone wheel in the drive shaft
Fixed? By: yes, Thomson Ford Parramatta under warranty
Comments: Great service by the team there

KMs at time of fault: occasionally since ~22,000
Symptoms: whine noise under bonnet at idle
Fault: water pump bearing failure
Fixed? By: yes, Thomson Ford Parramatta under warranty
Comments: just something I wasn't too worried about but mentioned that they investigated further when bringing my car in for the above problem

KMs at time of fault: occasionally since ~22,000
Symptoms: front passenger window shudders when wound up
Fault: bailey channels dry
Fixed? By: yes, Thomson Ford Parramatta. Not covered by warranty, $32.65
Comments: should have done this myself, but since the car was going in anyway...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #290
coxtrans
Not Happy

Month/year build: 2007
Spec Level: TDCI (Diesel)
KMs at time of fault: 400kms
Symtoms: Loss of power. Runs in limp mode. Red light "engine system fault" & orange light "ESP system fault".
Fault: Ford dealer cannot find the fault.
Fixed? By: Car has now done 24,000kms and it is in the hands of a Ford engineer who will be looking at it in a couple of weeks.

Comments: Hate this car! Intermittent consistent problem. The reverse lights also dont work and the dealer said they fixed them but only one is working.
coxtrans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #291
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

COXTRANS:
My TDCI has only one reversing light on it. so it may be as good as it gets.
Please post the ford techo's findings
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #292
abdulwahed88

i have some faults on my car
abdulwahed88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #293
Ian Walker
Starter Motor

Default 'Clunk' from gear-change.

Like the concept of thread. Purchased a 2008 TDCI Focus, and had it replaced by dealer for a 2009. However, have had strange clunk noise from back-end, like something engaging, when changing from 1st to 2nd. Have reported to dealer at every service, and been advised it is a "feature". While it does not affect the car's performance, it is concerning. Any thoughts ?? used:
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #294
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this was the LS fault register. You guys posting your LT's and LV's are making the LS look worst than it already is :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #295
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker
Like the concept of thread. Purchased a 2008 TDCI Focus, and had it replaced by dealer for a 2009. However, have had strange clunk noise from back-end, like something engaging, when changing from 1st to 2nd. Have reported to dealer at every service, and been advised it is a "feature". While it does not affect the car's performance, it is concerning. Any thoughts ?? used:
Mine does have some sort of noise as soon as you go over 20km/h irrespective of gear, seems to be some sort of sensor going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I thought this was the LS fault register. You guys posting your LT's and LV's are making the LS look worst than it already is :
hehe, I guess it should just be renamed the Focus Fault Register :p
Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #296
agentsmithbob
Starter Motor

Month/year build: 2006
Spec Level: LS CL Auto
KMs total: 42000kms

Old Problems/Replacements:
Sloshing fuel sounds and thumping from rear of car/Fuel tank replaced
Noisy AC compressor/AC compressor Replaced
?/Accelerator pedal replaced
?/Drive belt replaced
Noise from transmission/Transmission removed and worn parts replaced (5 week wait on parts with no courtesy car)
Buzzing sound from engine bay/Water pump replaced
Something loose in driver door/Clips replaced
Rotors and pads all worn out/All replaced (Not under warranty)
Shaking at 80km/Drive shaft replaced

Current Problems:
High pitched hum inside cabin
Engine running/idling rough
Usual creaks and groans
Woo woo woo sound at speeds under 60 that speeds up and slows down as the car does
Transmission hard shifts
Delayed acceleration
Whole car shudders when changing down from 4th under strain - intermittent problem that disappears when I take a Ford tech for a drive. Mostly occurs when heading up a hill, engine starts to struggle so I accelerate, the pedal is almost on the floor before it actually accelerates, changing down from 4th to 3rd/2nd to give it extra revs and shuddering the whole car for a second or 2 in the process.

Best thing about the transmission related problems is they only started after my local ford dealership had their dodgy backyard shed transmission guy (literally a shed in a backyard) work on it. Before then it drove great, just had some noise which I thought should get checked out. Now I reckon half the time I could shift smoother in a manual, and ford keeps telling me theres nothing worng with it.

All in all a real lemon, though all the problems except for the transmission related ones have been fixed. If only that could get that sorted out I'd almost have what I paid new car prices for.

Taking the car to another dealership closer to sydney soon to have the transmission checked out.
agentsmithbob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #297
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Month/year build: July?/2006
Spec Level: LS LX Sedan
KMs at time of fault: 41,000
Symtoms: Can not fill a full tank of fuel. Everytime at full fill up, the guage would show 3/4..
Fault: Fuel Sensor in the tank was replaced under warranty.
Fixed? By: Ford Dealer
Comments: Also break pad's needed changing at the same time. Dealer recommended all four rotors to be replaced also.... sounds unusual and is not under warranty!!!! Next time I will go after market for cheaper and better performance. Warranty does seem like a scam. if things need to be replaced, why go genuiine parts if their not revised parts to correct faults.. go after market for performance and reliability.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #298
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxtrans
Month/year build: 2007
Spec Level: TDCI (Diesel)
KMs at time of fault: 400kms
Symtoms: Loss of power. Runs in limp mode. Red light "engine system fault" & orange light "ESP system fault".
Fault: Ford dealer cannot find the fault.
Fixed? By: Car has now done 24,000kms and it is in the hands of a Ford engineer who will be looking at it in a couple of weeks.

Comments: Hate this car! Intermittent consistent problem. The reverse lights also dont work and the dealer said they fixed them but only one is working.
the focus only has one reverse light
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #299
DragonMesh

Month/year build: December/2006
Spec Level: CL LS Sedan Manual
KMs at time of fault: 35,000 ~ 37,000
Symtoms: When pulling away rattle(sounds kinda like something metal is about to break) noise when engaging the clutch
Fault: My guess would be clutch bearing(Clutch throwout bearing failing maybe)?
Fixed? im taking it to ford on Thursday morning to see what they say
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #300
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-XY
the focus only has one reverse light
the hatch does, yes. but the sedan has 2