Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
snakeoil
Snake Oil

Default Sandown 500 ripoff!

This years Sandown 500 saw for the first time ever a charge of $30 being levied to sit in the grandstand.I have been going to the 500 for over 30 years and can only remember a few times when the grandstand was so packed you struggled to get a seat so the sheer greed of the organisers to charge $30 on top of the $80 admission ticket is a rip off.

A family of mum dad plus 2 kids over twelve who did not want to stand up all day and wanted to do a pit tour would have to shell out $560 that seems a lot to me when I consider that as a teenager mum would drop me and a mate of mine off at the gate with some money for lunch but entry to the track and the pits was free.

We go to Adelaides Clipsal 500 every year and can understand why they charge extra for all the infra structure they build but all the way around the track there are heaps of good viewing mini grandstands which they erect but they are all free so the Sandown decision is laughable by comparison

As a Member of the FPV Club of victoria many of our club members and the guys from HSV Owners VE club Ford Fairlane Falcon said they would just not bother taking the time to put there cars on show next year

Thanks

2015 Mercedes C180 Coupe White/Black
2011 FG GS Ute manual #246 White/Black
2010 Chrysler Sebring limited hardtop Silver/grey
2003 UX Explorer V8 White/grey
2008 Suzuki Bandit GSF 1250 Black
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour Black
2011 Glastron GT 185 (USA made bowrider)White/Black
1988 Komatsu FG10 Forklift
FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria #975
Ullysees Member #18,554

Last edited by snakeoil; 16-09-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typos
snakeoil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sandown 500 ripoff!

Crazy prices. I used to go a bit with my dad years ago.

I'm going to start to do track days myself at Winton etc, $150, plus fuel and some wear on tyres etc. Seems reasonable...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Full_Monty

yep, bloody greed!

It's practically the only place to view from on Friday! Before they open the back of the circuit up on race day.

v8's will die a slow miserable death, sold the rights to Pay TV for short term gain...flipside is less people following the sport week to week, therefore less people interested in attending races over time.
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

It's business and as long as they keep the share holders happy, that's all that matters.

/end sarcasm

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
LASTXR

Same this year at SMSP (Eastern Creek)
$30 on top for 1 day grandstand.
Kids under 12 were free to get in but still
had to pay $30 for grandstand
LASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Ahhh the days when a young lad could scale a cyclone fence and run like crazy....
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
g220ba
FGX XR8

It was the emptiest I had seen the grandstand on a sunday at sandown In the 7 years I've been attending. That is until one of the mrc staff checking the tickets gave up as he couldn't cover the 2 ramps up and a few hundred managed to get a seat for free. They called in reinforcements pretty quickly though. Remarkably they still checked tickets right up until the last lap.

Probably fall on deaf ears but when I got home I sent them an email expressing my concerns that they were alienating a large part of their fan base with these decisions and a lot of the people I spoke to on sunday weren't really optimistic of returning next year if they do it again. That and the only non smoking and shaded areas of the general admin area are in the grandstand which doesn't really help if you have young kids to keep healthy.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've been going to Sandown nearly every year since 2001. I've only missed a couple, but it's an event I've always enjoyed and always looked forward to. As if the tickets weren't already expensive enough, making people pay extra to sit down is pathetic and greedy. I'm so disgusted by the actions of V8SC, I'm having second thoughts about going back next year. I might as well just save my money and watch it on TV. I'm sure plenty other fans will do the same.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the uncertain future of the sport with regards to brand participation I wouldn't have thought they'd be in a position to gouge fans.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
I've been going to Sandown nearly every year since 2001. I've only missed a couple, but it's an event I've always enjoyed and always looked forward to. As if the tickets weren't already expensive enough, making people pay extra to sit down is pathetic and greedy. I'm so disgusted by the actions of V8SC, I'm having second thoughts about going back next year. I might as well just save my money and watch it on TV. I'm sure plenty other fans will do the same.
At least you can sit down at home for free.
all they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Pilko FNQ

Wow....you guys get a bargain! Try the prices at Townsville.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
Binny

That's a bargain. The cheapest grandstand ticket at Motogp is $300.
Old 16-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they are warming you up to PAY PER VIEW on Poxtel!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If the trend continues I wonder how many people they'll manage to scare away from the grandstand at the 12hr next year.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They look at it this way, if the gs holds 600ppl then last year 600 x 0 = 0. This year even if they only got 1 person in it they are ahead and sooner or later no one will remember when it was free and it will be full. But for every person in it they are ahead. I think it's 350 inc entry for the covered gs on mountain straight at Bathurst for the 4 days.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I don't mind an additional charge but I thought $30pp or $60pp for the full weekend was a bit steep going from being free previously.

Disagree on the crowd numbers though,while still a way off what it was in the early to mid 2000's I felt it was the best crowd they have had in 2-3 years.

What email did you guys send your complaints to, I'd also like to send them some thoughts on their changes.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Save up some coin, buy a 65" TV and a decent sound system, then buy a few slabs, some muchies, invite mates and kick the missus/kids out of the house for the day (if you have them), have a BBQ as well.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reception@v8supercars.com.au Try this FPV8U . I have already voiced my opinion with them.
After being to Sandown every year since the late sixties this sucks. Eihter amortise it into the ticket prices or leave it as it was.
Many were shocked to find they had to pay more AFTER buying a ticket and many families sat in the sun with no shade rather than fork out the extra , and I don't blame them.
Be up front, put it into the price and then people will make their mind up whether they want to go or not. I think they may have shot themselves in the foot with this one as many will stay home next year. Alas there will probably be only another couple of Sandowns as it appears there is talk of housing redevelopment after that, very sad indeed.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #19
XG_Falcon

I don't think this is a coincidental occurrence, it seems like certain parties have been trying to wean the Australian public off motorsport for some time. There has been a big cultural shift over the last 15-20 years and now it has become more expensive than ever for the average person to attend major races.

At the very least, I think the motor racing industry (in general) has been putting serious effort into distancing themselves from the typical "bogan" image that has been so closely associated with Australian motorsport in the past.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Like it or not, it is the cashed up bogans who have got the sport to where it is today. Weening out the bogans or the mentality as it stands will alienate the industry to the point where there will be little point hosting a race at all.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Like it or not, it is the cashed up bogans who have got the sport to where it is today. Weening out the bogans or the mentality as it stands will alienate the industry to the point where there will be little point hosting a race at all.
I agree, it feels good to have a bit of good ol' fashioned bogan pride about on race day any way.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #22
exarmyxyute
Starter Motor

I could not agree with everyone more. After going last year family of 4 cost of fuel to get there plus food and drinks thought of going this year but so ****ed with v8sc for no free to air as well thought I would save my money. Have loved cAr racing for 40 years bout to write v8sc off. If they don't change next year that is it.
exarmyxyute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Was the crowd anything like this?

Last edited by vbvbvb088; 17-11-2015 at 02:57 PM.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #24
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Ahhh..., the good ol' days.
I was only a kid but I loved watching Bathurst and the wide variety of cars.V8sc has always been bland to me, barely anything to do with what we drive.

I hope touring car racing makes a comeback in a big way. Real cars, Real skill.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
TS50AU
Red ones go faster!

Dumb question, but have any of you been to an AFL game lately? Athletes get paid similar money to the drivers but don't need half million dollar boots to kick a footy. People still go and pay huge money for good seats. Let alone what you pay to see 3 pommy boofheads with 3 wheel cars poncing around...
TS50AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #26
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Fair point, decent seats at the MCG are over $100pp for a couple hours, Sandown was $320 for myself and the Mrs, including Grandstand for 3 and 2 days respectively.
Old 18-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #27
exarmyxyute
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Sandown 500 ripoff!

Yeh fair point but afl still free to air and you can go to 3 or 4 games in the one weekend if you want.
exarmyxyute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #28
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
It's become a Yuppies sport now and they are trying to make footy the same with all the Political Correct Nazis running the show now and them making idols out of the drivers or players and the money they get is far to much, It's un Australian.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #29
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exarmyxyute View Post
Yeh fair point but afl still free to air and you can go to 3 or 4 games in the one weekend if you want.
Some games are FTA not all, as for attending 3-4 games not totally sure what your suggesting, its not like you buy a weekend ticket, its for each game with no warm up match or anything beforehand.
Old 18-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #30
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

You can’t finger one without throwing the lot in the ring, almost all forms of entertainment have priced themselves out of the reach of many families.

Entry plus food prices are stunningly ridiculous and heaven help if you come from a large family.

So find something else to do and the non crowds may eventually open their eyes, though I doubt it as broadcasting revenue seems to be their holy grail.

When I was growing up in the bush we didn't have anything much available to go to so my mum used to throw us out in the backyard and turn the sprinkler on. By the time I was ten Dad thought I was old enough to have a motorbike.

Make your own fun and if it's available, watch the expensive stuff on tele.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: