Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 
Default Job Prospecting! in WA?

Hey guys and gals,

The missus and i are thinking about making the big move to WA or FNQld in search of mining work. Our situation at the moment, i am a diesel mechanic with heavy vehicle experience (but am looking at being an operator), and my girl is a primary school teacher (about to finish uni).

Basically we are asking if anyone knows the first step we have to take to make this happen, i.e. do we settle her in a teaching job first to take advantage of the cheap/free accomadation somewhere near a mine, and then i look for a job.
Or do i look for a mining job at a recruitment agency and then she finds a job at a school nearby/the local school.

Also does anybody know any areas that are booming or pay good that would be fairly remote, hopefully without being fly in fly out, or too far away from water.

Cheers for any feed back in advance

Ben

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Two come to mind straight away
Port Headland
Kalgoorlie

both need teachers and Plant operators/fitters almost desperately
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 

Cheers mate, who would i speak too or who would i call?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Kais Contractors 90 Bushlands Rd Hovea 6071 (08) 9295 5338
They Are Perth based but sub contract out Port Headland way for...i think Briety...plus heaps more i'm sure.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kal isn't exactly near water. But there is plenty of work over here. You'd probably be right at home any way coz WA is the new Eastern State. Its now inhabited by more easterners than west aussies I think ( not having a dig, my missus is victorian)
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Hi mate, contact the education dept in WA and get job that sorted first. Most will offer a house of a reasonable standard and saves you ALOT of $$$ in then not having to fork out in accomodation. You will have NO trouble finding a high paying job.
Need any other advice let me know,
Regs
Justin
NGN 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Mate get hold of the West Australian (Saturday issue ) There's a heap of jobs for diesel fitters. Ring Skilled Engineering,Byrnecut Mining.BHP Billiton,Hays Recruitment Agency,Barminco Mining.

You will have hundreds of jobs to go to and if you want to be by the water there will be jobs up around Port Hedland,Kararrtha,Broome.

I'm a Underground Maint Foreman but i'm over in Kazakhstan and i know West Australia is looking for Heavy Duty Fitters and hundreds of them.

Like the rest have said get the better half to get a teachers job near the water up north and it will take you about a day to get yours. The only problem you will have is choosing which job you want.

Fitters are earning well over $100,000 per year. This job is great they pay me over $150 thou net per year. Plenty of coin for mods on the car :

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Karratha, Port Hedland, Meekathara are good places to start. The money might sound great working in the mining industry but don't forget that these towns are really expensive to live in.

Kalgoorlie/ Boulder is a great town. I love it but it is no where near a beach!! Got a great knock shop - apparantly! Great pubs too and Southern Cross is always looking for teachers. Is mainly an aboriginal region but most country towns are screaming for teachers, doctors etc.

My niece lives and works in Karratha with her husband. He is a crane operator and they are paying nearly $2000 a week rent. So be warned...might sound good but the cost of living matches the wages!

If you really want good money....head to Dubai. Heaps of jobs for tradies going over there. Free accomodation, flights etc etc.

Best of luck in your pursuits!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
bawag

Thanks heaps for all of your replys, it gives me somewhere to start.

Cheers
Ben
Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Don't even bother trying to become an operator, they are thin on the ground now but remote operation will be introduced on the large scale very soon. Almost all the equipment sold now is ready for it, its just a matter of introducing it.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
heydonms
Starter Motor

Sort out the teaching job first, some towns are so desperate they will find you a mechanic/operator job just to get a teacher.

Of course, there is a good reason that a lot of them are short on teachers. It can be an extremely stressful job. I have had a family member up north teaching early primary, after two years she had just had enough, she came back to Perth the day after classes finished for the year.
heydonms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
TUF351

Hey mate,
I am Port Hedland at the moment. I do FIFO, if you want to stay up here the rent is pretty exe, its all relative to the wages though. If you want earthmoving companies try NRW, BGC, Ridwest, briertys, otherwise try googling earthmoving in port hedland, karratha. Port hedland is by the ocean, but there is no surf. The fishing is pretty good though. Its a great experience up here, so best of luck
TUF351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate last time i check both Cummins and MTUDDC were looking for Diesel fitters in there Kalgoorlie workshops.
also ExtraMan and Haynes Mechanical both in Kalgoorlie are always looking for people.

I got a mate up who moved to Kalgoorlie and he gets work as a fitter without even trying, in his current job think he does a 45hr week and is on over $100,000Pa, between him and his GF they would be making close to $180,000 a year aged 23.

cheers.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
bawag

That sounds good im only 24
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
TUF351

Mate also try the bigger trnasport companies, Mitchell transport comes to mind. There are others up this way. I am originally from the north west of sydney and the climate was a little hard to adjust to.
TUF351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawag
Hey guys and gals,

The missus and i are thinking about making the big move to WA or FNQld in search of mining work. Our situation at the moment, i am a diesel mechanic with heavy vehicle experience (but am looking at being an operator), and my girl is a primary school teacher (about to finish uni).

Basically we are asking if anyone knows the first step we have to take to make this happen, i.e. do we settle her in a teaching job first to take advantage of the cheap/free accomadation somewhere near a mine, and then i look for a job.
Or do i look for a mining job at a recruitment agency and then she finds a job at a school nearby/the local school.

Also does anybody know any areas that are booming or pay good that would be fairly remote, hopefully without being fly in fly out, or too far away from water.

Ben
I wouldn't subject your Mrs straight out of school to teach anywhere near a mining community. Actually, unless my Mrs was very hard I wouldn't ever want her near one of those schools.

You being a HD mechanic will be on a minimum of 120k anywhere up north in WA at the moment. The only place I can think of where there would be big $ work for you up there where there is water and you don't have to fly in fly out would be up around Wickham, just north of Karratha. There is also a school there with teachers accommadation although the houses supplied by the mining company are I believe better and cheaper than the department of education ones.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
That sounds good im only 24
Mate. In central queensland also there would be a few options. My mates on 4days on 4days of roster so only works half the year and then also gets his annual holidays. Theres a mob here always looking for heavy vehicle fitters/mechs with wages starting at $45-$55/hour. My mates on $115000 a year. Unfortunately i'm only a draftsman so theres no oportunities anywhere to make good money.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey guys and gals,

Ben
http://www.compass-group.com.au/
one of many in Qld
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I wouldn't subject your Mrs straight out of school to teach anywhere near a mining community. Actually, unless my Mrs was very hard I wouldn't ever want her near one of those schools.
I work for DET and I would agree with this. That also being said, there are good ones !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

see http://www.det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/ccm/portal/ and http://www.det.wa.edu.au/jobs.asp for teaching jobs - there is a big shortage over here. Keep an eye on http://www.gowestnow.com/?page=browsejobs and http://www.sbdc.com.au/gowest/?page=search for mechanics jobs.