Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default 98 festiva radio wire diagram

hey guys
i have just bought a 98 festiva for the rug rat and need to sort out the wirring to install a new sony sound system. is there a plug you can buy or is it a cut and solder job. if its a cut and solder job can anyone help me out with a schematic for the radio. many thanks in advance.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default Re: 98 festiva radio wire diagram

found this
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf
hope it works.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
OceanOver
Starter Motor

Lightbulb Re: 98 festiva radio wire diagram

G'day, first post...

For the benefit of others Googling the radio/stereo wiring layout for a 1997 Ford Festiva GLi WB97A and coming up dry, I can now provide you with what I found through testing each wire via multimeter. I understand the thread is for a 98 Festiva but it is possible the same convention is used.

I swear, the answers .com site is full of guessers, spammers and advertisements. This site deserves the search traffic for the real answer.

Ford Festiva GLi 1997 WB97A (Australian Variant) stereo wiring colour layout:

POWER
  • Blue/Red - 12V constant battery
  • Blue/Yellow - 12V ignition (switched)
  • Red/Black - 12V illumination
  • Blue/Black (thin) - 1.4V illumination (not needed on most new stereos)
  • Black/Brown dashes (fat) - Ground
SPEAKERS
  • Front Left (+) - Black/Brown (thin - or just solid brown in my case)
  • Front Left (-) - Green/Red (or just solid black in my case)
  • Front Right (+) - Green/Orange
  • Front Right (-) - Blue/Orange
  • Rear Left (+) - Blue/Green
  • Rear Left (-) - Yellow
  • Rear Right (+) - Blue Black (fat)
  • Rear Right (-) - Brown/Red
I confirmed the power cables to ground. The Blue/Black (thin) 1.4V illumination cable had me stumped for a while but found that it just powers the small globe that illuminates the buttons when you turn the lights on. The Red/Black 12V illumination cable powers the main LCD screen globe when the stereo is turned on.

Additional problems were also encountered when I could not find the wires for both front speakers in the loom. I had a solid brown for the (+) Black/Brown front left and a solid black for the (-) Green/Red front left. Ended up taking the door trims off to see what was happening on the speaker and of the cables. Gotta love Ford for changing the wire colours halfway along the line! Lucky I did check, ended up find two very torn, rusted stock speakers which were replaced.

The fade and balance settings all work correctly. Everything sounds in phase so polarity should be correct.

Final note: the wire colours can be very difficult to differentiate. Time has caused the reds to fade to pink, oranges to fade to pink and greens to fade to blue. Adds to the fun!

Enjoy!
Ocean.
OceanOver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
OceanOver
Starter Motor

Edit: To assist with searches, my post relates to removal of the stock AM/Cassette deck.
Type: GE96-18805-AKT
Model No: FCT006A2
OceanOver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm pretty sure I still have my user manual at home. I'll see if there is a wiring diagram of use to you and scan it in a day or 2.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post