Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default LV Focus issues.

I have an LV TDCI auto Focus.

Have 2 issues. Will call the dealer this arvo but will see if other have the same issues or know of them.

1) When driving off after starting in the morning (or sitting for even 10 minutes off after a long run) there is a springy noise coming from the pedal area.

Think of a long spring being held down over the edge of a table so half is on and half is off, then pulling it up and releasing. That's the noise it makes.

The noise can be 'felt' through the accelerator pedal. The noise is speed dependant, not gear dependant. Meaning that if I stay under say 10-15km/hr you wont hear it (even if it has changed gears) and once it goes over about 20 it makes the noise once and that's the end of it.

2) Wipers make a loud 'tick' only on intermittent setting. Noise was not there when purchased. Can't hear it when you are going more than 60km/hr (due to background noise) but at a slow pace it is noticeable and VERY annoying.

Noise ticks at the start of the 'up' movement and at the start of the 'down' movement. Noise is coming from behind the glove box it seems.

All other speed settings are noise free.

Any ideas or comments??

Cheers,

Jason

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Default Re: LV Focus issues.

hey, i get these 2 'problems' in my LT but never really considered them that bad, just annoying, not damaging. sometimes that accelerator spring release sounds bad and i cringe, but i can never be bothered with dealers anymore, they never no what they're doing in my opinion so they will just say there is nothin wrong with it n pretend they drove it around...
Let us know what your dealer says, for our sake i hope its not bad
sump.
Old 28-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Thanks for that PUMP. So your car also does that spring sound when driving off as I have described???

Will let you know what the dealer says.

Cheers.
Old 28-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Hi Jason,

The spring noise you hear is normal, the it's either the ABS or ESP that calibrates or something after you take off. All Focii do it, some probably louder than others.

The tick is also a Focus trademark, yes I find it annoying as well but don't think anything can be done about that one either.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Add these to the collection of minor annoyances. The other one is the indicators are too quiet - you have to remember to turn them off if you're changing lanes, or you go up the road with them still on.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Add these to the collection of minor annoyances. The other one is the indicators are too quiet - you have to remember to turn them off if you're changing lanes, or you go up the road with them still on.
I can't believe the boot area has no lighting personally.... try and look for anything in the dark and it's pitch black.... I'm thinking of leaving a cheap LED torch in there as a 'fix'.
Old 29-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I can't believe the boot area has no lighting personally.... try and look for anything in the dark and it's pitch black.... I'm thinking of leaving a cheap LED torch in there as a 'fix'.
My LS focus Zetec has a boot light. Its small & fairly useless but I have been thinking of putting a brighter bulb in there
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

The tick with the wipers on intermittent is the relay switch. It's completely normal. You'll get a similar sound turning anything electrical on. Namely headlights, including flicking between high and low beam, and aircon. In fact, the aircon modulates by turning on and off and that's usually the most common noise complaint.

There's a big round knob in the middle of the dash that fixes all these issues

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How I envy you guys with these noises, I cannot hear much over the tyre noise in my hatch except the ticking of the diesel motor at idle
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
DeKa

Quote:
Don't turn the indicators on when changing lanes. Just move the indicator lever slightly which gives you three flashes... more then enough when changing lanes.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
Don't turn the indicators on when changing lanes. Just move the indicator lever slightly which gives you three flashes... more then enough when changing lanes.
I have that in my FG but I would prefer 1 more flash to 4.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
I wired one of these up in my boot - MUCH better than the tiny bulb that was meant to light up the whole boot, and a quick fix.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
How I envy you guys with these noises, I cannot hear much over the tyre noise in my hatch except the ticking of the diesel motor at idle
After burning around the track at Marulan, my tyres became much quieter

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
2) Wipers make a loud 'tick' only on intermittent setting. Noise was not there when purchased. Can't hear it when you are going more than 60km/hr (due to background noise) but at a slow pace it is noticeable and VERY annoying.

Noise ticks at the start of the 'up' movement and at the start of the 'down' movement. Noise is coming from behind the glove box it seems.

All other speed settings are noise free.

Any ideas or comments??

Cheers,

Jason
Mine does that as well, I guess its the contacts of a relay turning on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I wired one of these up in my boot - MUCH better than the tiny bulb that was meant to light up the whole boot, and a quick fix.
Did you take out the original light and use the factory wiring? I'm thinking of doing that with an LED strip but I thought maybe the light is controlled by the body control modual and it'll crap its dacks if it detects a lower or higher current beign drawn and throw a code or something.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Did you take out the original light and use the factory wiring? I'm thinking of doing that with an LED strip but I thought maybe the light is controlled by the body control modual and it'll crap its dacks if it detects a lower or higher current beign drawn and throw a code or something.
There's a possibility, but i don't think it'd be too great. suck it and see I guess. It's not hard to add resistance to balance out the current thus keeping its dacks intact.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
My main concern is that it didn't make the noise prior to the rain we had in the last week.

Quote:
What 'original light' are you referring to there BD? Would have been great if there was even a basic light in the boot to graft a better light onto the circuit. I have nil lighting in my hatch boot, seems the model prior to LV did however???
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:

Might be different for the hatch, but my sedan had a small light on the right side. I just wired it up to the existing wiring (and removed the existing bulb) and haven't had one problem since its been installed, 3+ years.

Quote:
What 'original light' are you referring to there BD? Would have been great if there was even a basic light in the boot to graft a better light onto the circuit. I have nil lighting in my hatch boot, seems the model prior to LV did however???
Should be easy to wire it up even without the existing wiring to run off, but it seems strange there is no light there at all.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
My main concern is that it didn't make the noise prior to the rain we had in the last week.

On the right hand side my LV has a little light there, wouldn't light up a wet paper bag LOL.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
U sure? listed as standard equip, http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA if I have the model right.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
On the right hand side my LV has a little light there, wouldn't light up a wet paper bag LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
U sure? listed as standard equip, http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA if I have the model right.

Ok... so it's under the 'ledge'... with no globe in it lol.

Explains why I had 'no light'
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok... so it's under the 'ledge'... with no globe in it lol. Explains why I had 'no light'
It's a $50 option, Fords renowned penny pinching again.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A boot light would also be handy to see all the water that leaks into the rear hatch area.
I also love the spare wheel cover/hatch floor.It seems to be a piece of board sandwiched between 2 pieces of carpet that are glued together at the edges.The glue holding it together seems to last until the first time you need to lift it up....
Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The glue holding the carpet to the rear seats is the same stuff. Be very careful folding the seats down!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a look, and there is a small light in my LV's boot. Didn't choose it as an option.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 AM   #25
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Had a look, and there is a small light in my LV's boot. Didn't choose it as an option.
No, no, Yellow said it didn't have a globe in it. That was the $50 option.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, I see. $50 for a globe

Old 21-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #27
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This seems as good a place as any...

Drove the car to and from a place tonight, about 20-25 mins each way, mostly cruising at 80-100kph, the odd bit of foot-down stuff, but nothing major.

Decide to stop at a car-yard near home (checking out an XR5, as it happens). Get back in the car, put key in ignition. Nothing. No click. No lights in dash. Oh, no. I shift the gear into neutral, then back. Still nothing. A few more times. Still nothing.

I open the bonnet, poke around mostly ineffectively, look at the battery for inspiration. The cover is a bit loose prior, so I jam it on and prepare to need to call the RAC. More in wishful thinking, I stick the key in the ignition and it starts. I go home. Stop. Start again. No dramas.

So, should I be worried, or is it just a one-off "one of those things that happen"? I should add the car is only about 18 months old, and I haven't had a hint of an electrical gremlin before, so I wouldn't have thought the battery was on its way out.

Old 22-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #28
ConradP

I'd say if it happens again, take it in, if not mention it at your next service so they put a note of it down so if anything happens later on there is a record.
Old 22-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sounds like a bad earth on a modual
Old 22-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I would probably take it into the dealer and get them to check for any error codes, it's probably a bad earth somewhere as Big Damo said
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post