Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default primary school teachers

Basically what is up with these guys yea they have a tough job and everything but it is no excuse to be rude to parents. This has happened to me on many occasions and quite frankly I am tired of it. Are others experiencing this or is it just me?

The latest one (today) which worries me because the school year is a whole 3 days old was this : I went to get my daughter from school and was standing outside her portable classroom, she came out with no jumper on so I checked her bag for her jumper - no jumper. So I told her to go back and find it (these are $45 a pop and only available from the school). When her teacher said to her "I am talking to adults wait at the door" she didn't interrupt and wasn't making any noise. I found this extremely rude making me wait for her to check when her checking was not interrupting her conversation in the slightest. It confuses my child when one adult (me) gives her a task and her teacher gives her a contradictory one. Leaving her thinking "who's direction do I follow" I had to tell her to come to the door and wait and that it was OK.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
05_ENFORCER

Hmmn, don't mean to be a stick in the mud but the classroom is the teachers domain.
Unfortunately the teacher rules in the classroom and the parents rule outside IMO.
I have also had "narkey" teachers in my face, but allow certain things to be passed over.
Cheers
Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny how looking back my primary school teachers got away with no much of that type of petty rudeness, because at that age we are supposed to do as they say. If I met a few of my primary teachers in the street these days I'd really tell them what I think!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

I'm a staunch advocate of free and open discussion in the forum, but seriously man, haven't you anything better to whinge about? If people get cut off at a roundabout the first thing they do is post a thread in the forum?!??!

I guess you're going to say if you dont have anything constructive to say dont say anything, but what could anyone say about this situation that would be constructive? You could dob the teacher in to the deputy principal I suppose...
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its the other way around at my school (high school), teachers get the crap abused out of them by the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
ck11

You might find that the teacher had a reason for asking the child to wait outside. She should definitely not have been rude about it when talking to your daughter, but the teacher might have been discussing about another student or issues that she may not want to expose your child to. There are some things that adults do not wish to discuss in front of a child.

Having said that, some primary school teachers do tend to be very patronising and condescending towards students.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck11
You might find that the teacher had a reason for asking the child to wait outside. She should definitely not have been rude about it when talking to your daughter, but the teacher might have been discussing about another student or issues that she may not want to expose your child to. There are some things that adults do not wish to discuss in front of a child.
That is what I'd reckon happened. The teacher was probably discussing another child's progress and was therefore professional enough to not allow others to hear. Simply asking a child to wait outside isn't bad, but I hope the teacher was respectful enough when asking.

Don't let this situation give you the impression that the teacher is not a good one. Also, be careful about what you say about your child's teacher to them. That could cause your child to think things that are not helpful to their relationship with their teacher.

I hope this was all a misunderstanding. I also hope that your child has an awesome year. My daughter started Prep two days ago and is loving the new experience.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

I THINK you got a bit frustrated over not much at all really.
if i was you, i would've apoligised to my daughter , and the teacher for the missunderstanding. just cop it on the chin. it was kind of your fault really.( but you didnt do anything wrong) nor did the teacher. your daughter wore the brunt of it .
just laugh it off, and make your daughter confident that it was your missunderstanding, and you didnt know the teacher was having a private discussion.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was one semester away from compelting a degree, and there are several problems.

Many parents leave the parenting to the teacher with the attitude, "somebody else can deal with it."
Some teachers are idiots. I went to Uni with them. Can't spell, no manners, and only care about what they look like. That's blunt, but too common.

After school hours, the conversation should have been stopped and the teacher could have asked your child if they wanted something, rather than make them wait.

If a student comes back into the room, the teacher should ensure that everything is alright rather than send them out with no questions asked. Safety of the student is paramount. They might have come in for a reason, and something important. A domineering, intimidating teacher is hard to argue with when you're only a child.

Like so many things though, no simple answer, and hindsight is always a great thing...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I was one semester away from compelting(sic) a degree, and there are several problems.

Many parents leave the parenting to the teacher with the attitude, "somebody else can deal with it."
Some teachers are idiots. I went to Uni with them. Can't spell, no manners, and only care about what they look like. That's blunt, but too common.

After school hours, the conversation should have been stopped and the teacher could have asked your child if they wanted something, rather than make them wait.

If a student comes back into the room, the teacher should ensure that everything is alright rather than send them out with no questions asked. Safety of the student is paramount. They might have come in for a reason, and something important. A domineering, intimidating teacher is hard to argue with when you're only a child.

Like so many things though, no simple answer, and hindsight is always a great thing...
A teaching degree...primary education.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm a primary school teacher and will not agree or disagree with your opinions or the actions of the teacher.

I don't know the history, you, the teacher or the situation in general.

However I will make some comments to ponder.

Primary school teachers generally do not have any form of office unless they are an executive. So after school if I was having an important conversation with another parent in my class I would also ask a student to wait at the door. (depending on each situation of course.. I'm generally laid back, a lot are not).

Parents don't always chat to teachers about 'school stuff'... you have no idea some of the personal and very private information parents disclose to teachers, often they are the only chance to let them 'let it out'... it could have been a delicate matter and at that point in time an interruption is not needed.

If you left an item in someones office, and the door was closed would you just walk in, open the door, see 2 people talking, and just assume it was ok to carry on walking in?

It was after school. That is 'teacher time'. The other adults may (and usually do) have to make an appointment to see a teacher.

If you feel that you have been hard done by, call the office, and make a complaint. You have every right to do that.... People have called for less.

The last thing that comes to mind. Why is your daughter needing a jumper in this heat???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
05_ENFORCER

I think it was the child that walked in on the conversation according to the first post.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should have told your kid to go and ask the teacher if its ok to check...
Manners, protocol and respect for adults is sadly missing in today's schools, its refreshing to see a teacher trying to uphold these values..

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
I think it was the child that walked in on the conversation according to the first post.
Yes, I understand that. I was merely making a comparison with what would happen in an adult situation. I think the OP tried to trivialise the situation by saying it was just a little girl trying to get her jumper.. In any case I believe the teachers response was valid.

A word of warning to the OP. Be VERY careful of what you say to your children in regards to their teachers in your own home. Most, if not all will eventually be blabbed out in the classroom innocently in due course.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Yes, I understand that. I was merely making a comparison with what would happen in an adult situation. I think the OP tried to trivialise the situation by saying it was just a little girl trying to get her jumper.. In any case I believe the teachers response was valid.

A word of warning to the OP. Be VERY careful of what you say to your children in regards to their teachers in your own home. Most, if not all will eventually be blabbed out in the classroom innocently in due course.
Ad to this the childeren sence the lack of respect towards the teacher and it comes out in the way the children act in class this can snowball in to a very disfucntioal teacher student relationship, not at all good i nthe long run.

the school my kids go to is great, its only the local public school but the teachers and staff are great, their strict to a point as in they dont take rubbish but they know how to do this and still show compassion when required. both my kids love there teachers and there effort in class shows a very high level of respect towards not only the teacher but the entier learning experance

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post