Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #2791
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Just a question I need to ask on billing for Solar! Have had this discussion with the power company and I don't think they know what they are doing or charging ..... so, in real simple terms

Was paying 31 cents
Installed Solar
Now paying 39 cents because of Solar install.
Rebate from Govco: 8 Cents

Which all equals zero dollars saving.

KW's used - 2200 - $858
KW's fed - 500 - $40

Total bill - $818

NOW my question to them was, If I didn't install Solar, my bill would be $818, the same as having solar! Shouldn't I be getting the rebate PLUS the 500 kw's of feed discounted off the bill?

They say the bill is correct. At this rate, I will pay the solar back .... never! What am I missing here. I was on the phone to them 3 times saying that it does not seem correct and they are telling me everything is correct. One person said ... "Well, at least you are doing something for the environment!" After I said why did I install Solar?

Am going to ring other companies to get some quotes anyway but am at a loss on the lack of explanation from them.
If you need some help with the tariffs that your retailer charges you, you can PM me.

I know that In Victoria if you are on a single rate prior to solar and you install solar, you may be put onto a Time of use tariff or Flexi Time Tariff, but this depends on what the Energy retailer do and what area you live in.

So technically it may not be a solar charge, but could be a new tariff price structure. But it would not surprise me if they did charge an extra cost for solar itself. Would need to know your retailer, so I could search the rates.

Also another thing to look at is the removal of the carbon tax, the rates may have changed as of July 1st, most retailers making changes know and backdating the rates.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #2792
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have just installed a 5 kva system in the last few weeks, our energy retailer hasn't put us on the 'system' yet, but according to our smart meter we have put 300 kWh back into the grid, we haven't been paid for it, but we are not that worried about it, we just want to reduce our power bill
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #2793
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
We have just installed a 5 kva system in the last few weeks, our energy retailer hasn't put us on the 'system' yet, but according to our smart meter we have put 300 kWh back into the grid, we haven't been paid for it, but we are not that worried about it, we just want to reduce our power bill
We want to get a couple of refrigerated A/C split systems around the house and we are worried about the power bill, keep us up to date how the 5KW system goes in reducing power bills.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #2794
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will do, we installed a hot tub in Feb this year and doubled our power bill, so it is now heating just in daylight hours so hopefully we will see a difference in the power bill
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #2795
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are lots of horror stories about solar power, but all the complaints seem to be sitting with the retailer not the system, Origin Energy seems to be the worst by far
Old 23-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #2796
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Where in Vic are you Trev ? Did you have feedback from neighbours /friends in the area re Solar ?
Old 23-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #2797
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are in Shepparton, actually between my last post and this one I got a power bill and it is significantly lower than the last one, we aren't being paid the .08c yet, but we are not that fussed, we wanted a reduction in our power bill and it seems it has worked so far.

Our 20 panels are facing NNE purely because of the layout of our house
Old 23-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #2798
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Thought I would chime in with my experience.

Some of you may recall that I have been considering installing a solar system for some time....probably at least 2 - 3 years.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased, and had installed, a system. As an employee of AGL (I work at Loy Yang power station, which is owned and operated by AGL), I was able to purchase an AGL Solar system at 'cost price' through an employee only special. On top of that, we were able to purchase the system under an interest free payment arrangement over a payback period of 2 years. The repayment is taken directly out of my pay each fortnight.

I know that the AGL Solar system is nether the best nor the cheapest on the market, but given the above, I really felt that I could not pass it up.

So, I purchased a 4.5 KW system, which is the largest I could go without seeking permission form Ausnet Services, our distributor. This permission cost extra $$$ irrespective of the outcome. And to be perfectly honest, the 4.5KW system is probably bigger than I needed anyway.

The systeme consists of an Eko Energy 5000 Inverter and 18 off 250 Watt Virtus ll Panels. This cost me just under $6k including the set-up costs for the interest free arrangement.

At the start of September, the guys from BJ White Electrics in Hastings turned up to install the system. BJ are the sub-contractor utilised by AGL to carry out installs from the eastern suburbs of Melbourne out to Bairnsdale. Patrick and his offsider did a fantastic job of the install; everything was very neat and professionally installed. During discussion with Patrick he advised that BJ sell and install their own systems (independent of AGL), but they are so happy with the AGL-sourced panels that they actually use them in their systems.

Whilst discussing all things solar with Patrick, I asked a few questions about the AGL system. He said that they were extremely busy carrying out AGL system installs (presumably because of the staff offer) and that they had been doing the AGL system installs for quite a number of years. He stated that in all the time they had been doing the installs, they had only ever had reason to replace two inverters in that time. Unfortunately, that was for the same customer. He indicated that the AGL system appeared to be very reliable. He also asked as to what our quarterly bills were worth. I told him around the $400-500 mark. He advised that I should see a $300-400 reduction based on the system I had installed.

Of course, he left me with the great news that Ausnet Services would need to come out and reprogram our smart meter so that it could record the energy input into the grid from our solar install, and that it could take them up to 8 weeks to do so. As you would expect, I took some interest in how well the system was performing, and so even though our input credits were not being monitored, I kept track as to how much energy was being generated by our system and how much energy we were consuming off the grid. The impact was realised immediately. Our consumption from the grid decreased pretty markedly straight away.

A few weeks later, I received a phone call form our supplier, Energy Australia (yes, our competitor! Don't ask, long story!) advising that, as a result of the solar install, we would need to go onto a new energy plan. Our plan at that stage saw us paying 28c (incl gst) per kWh of energy consumed irrespective of time of use. Under the new arrangement we would be paying 33c per kWh peak (7am to 11pm Monday to Friday), 18c per kWh off-peak (all other times than peak) and receive 8c per kWh input into the grid.

On the 27th September, (wow, that was quick ) our meter was repogrammed and I set up an excel spreadsheet to keep a track of the impact of both the solar install and the new pricing structure. As of yesterday, we were approximately $1 in credit.

I have been very surprised at the offset that the solar system has created. I never expected to be able to make any money out of this, knowing that with the 8c feed in tariff, the idea was to offset your usage. And I guess that is really what has happened, but I am pleasantly surprised that I am actually in the black at this stage. My observation to date is that I generally make up the money on weekends, when the usage from the grid is at a low price, and then consume some of that up during the week, where we are generally home early in the mornings and later at night when the solar system is not so effective.

At this stage I plan on waiting at least one full bill cycle to determine the impact of the solar before I look at changing our supplier across to AGL. As an employee I receive a 25% discount off both my electricity and gas usage as well as supply charges. Given that I have already reduced my usage of electricity down to nearly nothing, the move to AGL should also reap further reductions in my quarterly bill (dependent upon what rates they charge, of course).

My goal at the start of this process was to reduce our bill as much as I could, as well as allow usage of the air conditioner in the house more during summer, which I have always minimised as much as possible due to concerns on costs. So far, this goal seems to be well on its way to being achieved. And at this point, I have only outlaid around $400 for the system.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #2799
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We don't have an inverter, we have gone with the new system where each panel has a mini inverter and puts 240V straight back into the system without a big box hanging on the wall, they did install a modem near our computer which is directly connected to the panels so we can watch (and the installer and manufacturer can) can watch what is going on with each individual panel
Old 23-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #2800
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
We don't have an inverter, we have gone with the new system where each panel has a mini inverter and puts 240V straight back into the system without a big box hanging on the wall, they did install a modem near our computer which is directly connected to the panels so we can watch (and the installer and manufacturer can) can watch what is going on with each individual panel
That's a micro inverter system, starting to get more popular.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #2801
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't sure of the name of it, a relatively new concept apparently
Old 23-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #2802
Ms_Jam

Not a Tindo by any chance?
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #2803
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We are in Shepparton, actually between my last post and this one I got a power bill and it is significantly lower than the last one, we aren't being paid the .08c yet, but we are not that fussed, we wanted a reduction in our power bill and it seems it has worked so far.

Our 20 panels are facing NNE purely because of the layout of our house

The longer they take to change your meter over and pay you the 8c the better off you are.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #2804
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The longer they take to change your meter over and pay you the 8c the better off you are.
I would not be giving that advice to someone in Victoria. In Victoria you sign a form saying that you agree to have the solar system off until the meter is configured. The form is signed as a part of every solar install in Victoria. The form depends which distributor you are in.

Technically you can get in trouble for having the solar system on without having the meter installed.

I have seen people have massive bills because the solar system is turned on and they had not had the solar meter installed, Also seen that the disturber was not happy that the system was on and they threatened to discount the power of the home, until they turned the solar system off.

https://www.redenergy.com.au/docs/SO...ECTIONFORM.pdf

http://www.ausnetservices.com.au/***...ion%20Form.pdf
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #2805
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I cant remember if I asked this earlier in this thread but whats the going rate for a 5KW system in Victoria these days?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #2806
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I would not be giving that advice to someone in Victoria. In Victoria you sign a form saying that you agree to have the solar system off until the meter is configured. The form is signed as a part of every solar install in Victoria. The form depends which distributor you are in.

Technically you can get in trouble for having the solar system on without having the meter installed.

I have seen people have massive bills because the solar system is turned on and they had not had the solar meter installed, Also seen that the disturber was not happy that the system was on and they threatened to discount the power of the home, until they turned the solar system off.

https://www.redenergy.com.au/docs/SO...ECTIONFORM.pdf

http://www.ausnetservices.com.au/***...ion%20Form.pdf

Wow! didn't know that was the case there :(

It's obviously different in Qld.
Old 15-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #2807
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

3 months of fine weather. 5kw system. $300.00 credit over and above power bill of $798.00..............
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #2808
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the micro inverter system is very good for a section of roof which may come into shade......one shady panel will not pull the others down.

we are seeing more and more of these.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #2809
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
3 months of fine weather. 5kw system. $300.00 credit over and above power bill of $798.00..............
What's your FIT?
Old 15-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #2810
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a question I need to ask on billing for Solar! Have had this discussion with the power company and I don't think they know what they are doing or charging ..... so, in real simple terms

Was paying 31 cents
Installed Solar

KW's used - 2200 - $858
KW's fed - 500 - $40

Total bill - $818

NOW my question to them was, If I didn't install Solar, my bill would be $818, the same as having solar! Shouldn't I be getting the rebate PLUS the 500 kw's of feed discounted off the bill?

They say the bill is correct. At this rate, I will pay the solar back .... never! What am I missing here. I was on the phone to them 3 times saying that it does not seem correct and they are telling me everything is correct. One person said ... "Well, at least you are doing something for the environment!" After I said why did I install Solar?

Am going to ring other companies to get some quotes anyway but am at a loss on the lack of explanation from them.

unfortunately this is the case, as soon as you install solar you pay more, those of us that went in early got the higher feed in tariff and are now reaping the rewards, however we paid a hell of a lot more for our systems so our outlays were far more.

solar is now far cheaper but the rewards are less.

govco has made it's stance clear, they don't want you producing power, plain and simple, the power you produce is sold off at a higher rate and the suppliers reap the benefit.

the thing you will see is a significant reduction in your bill as solar will take care of almost all of your day time running costs.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 15-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #2811
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were paying 23c to Red before we went solar, got notified the other day that they had received notification of our solar system being installed, our price post solar will be 23c, BUY AUSTRALIANS you lot, Red is owned by the Snowy River Scheme and is 100% Aussie
Old 15-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #2812
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
What's your FIT?
44 cents........happy days
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #2813
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
44 cents........happy days
Grrr Mutter Mutter
You've done well mate, I'm stuck on 8c, luckily we're home most of the day so it works in our favor that way..
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #2814
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We were paying 23c to Red before we went solar, got notified the other day that they had received notification of our solar system being installed, our price post solar will be 23c, BUY AUSTRALIANS you lot, Red is owned by the Snowy River Scheme and is 100% Aussie
Are you on a single rate contract or time of use with peak and off peak?
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #2815
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...n-loc/2461711/
Good old AGL...........
Old 22-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #2816
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes happens more than not.......I resigned (verbally) a new contract with Lumo, stating X fIT and Y supply charge.

within a month they upped the rate of power as well as my supply charge.

really should have a watch dog overseeing bad practices and pulling them up on it.......

wait a minute ACCC rings a bell, wonder if they are back from their lunch break yet?

Old 22-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #2817
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:

Was paying 31 cents
Installed Solar

KW's used - 2200 - $858
KW's fed - 500 - $40

Total bill - $818

My maths says that 2200 x 31 = 682 and 818 - 682 = 136 $ more paid with solar, not the same $.... Or am I missing something????
Is the ammount you used yourself from your own "supply" shown anywhere in these figures?

Last edited by 39ClevoUte; 22-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #2818
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, just got a question for you solar techies, what is the go should **** happen and your house catch fire on nice sunny day ,
when the fierys turn up and see a bank of solar on the roof are they going to stand back and spray water from a distance because there is no way to turn off the power directly from the panels.
This subject came up with a mate a while ago, coming into fire season now, and to me it seems feasible if the wiring was to get melted on the roof this could be an electrocution risk problem , or am i barking up the wrong tree ???
apologies if it has already been mentioned at some stage.
Edit: just had a thought, also does having solar affect your house insurance ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #2819
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

simply isolate the power from the mains as per a "normal" house fire if you perceive a threat.

solar needs to be "excited" from an exterior power source before power will flow, no excitement, no power from solar.

yet to see a firey put off by power yet.......when in doubt.....flood the mongrel.

only time I've seen firey's back off is when oil spilled on molten lead and caught fire, water under molten lead will explode.

Old 30-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #2820
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, thanks Poppa !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post