Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #2701
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Can't see how that is correct.

I've had over 15kw grid feeding in on single phase for years now.

And we have multi phase.

the only limit is the transformer on the supply pole...its 20kw.

It'll work fine.
But the power companies here in NSW require you to feed into more than one phase if you are over 5kw = probably for Phase balance.

It would be fun if only every third house on a street had Solar
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #2702
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting article about Simply Energy and solar in Victoria.

Basically Simply Energy are putting a 14 cent a day levy on solar customers.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/sola...-charges-30650
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #2703
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't want to politicize this but we need governments with balls and foresight in this country.
These highway robbers need to be put in their place.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #2704
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we are already paying higher prices for our power than non solar generators, why, I don't know, our power is sold to other consumers at a premium so one would think a premium paid to us would be in order.

but we are the enemy and we are growing everyday.

speaking to a local installer this morning, he's as flat out as a lizard drinking putting in solar.
a lot more enquiries on "stand alone" as well he reckons.

Big coal has too much levy in the upper echelons of power nowadays.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #2705
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
we are already paying higher prices for our power than non solar generators, why, I don't know, our power is sold to other consumers at a premium so one would think a premium paid to us would be in order.

but we are the enemy and we are growing everyday.

speaking to a local installer this morning, he's as flat out as a lizard drinking putting in solar.
a lot more enquiries on "stand alone" as well he reckons.

Big coal has too much levy in the upper echelons of power nowadays.
Hi Poppa

Just interested in what the price difference is the retailer your with.

With the company I work for, the rates and supply charge in South Australia is the same for solar and non-solar customers. The only difference is the pay on time discount is not available to solar customers.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #2706
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when I enquired about having solar placed on I was told by Lumo that "solar customers" pay slightly higher than regular customers.

Leon Byner was talking about it this morning as well a\stating we pay higher.......something I haven't actually looked into as yet but I reckon I will now, I don't know how to tell as each customer is basically charged at different rates according to their negotiating skills with varying discounts from 12% to 15%.

it would be interesting to see if there are any S.A. customers out there who are non solar and with Lumo and are willing to place up their cost per kilowatt plus discounts.

my cost is roughly $0.30c to $0.31c per kilowatt.

interesting to see if there is a difference.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 15-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #2707
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looking at other retailers rates, as I had to contact a few for work today. To me the base rate is the same if you are a solar or non-solar customer (base rate is different for each retailer). What the difference seems to be is the discount the retailers offers. Most retailers offer little to no discount for solar customers.

But in saying that a company with the highest rates can offer the bigger discount and still be around the same price as the company with cheapest tariff and the smallest discount.

Looking through the national database, the only thing that is changed about the tariff, is the solar tariff is added on when solar is installed. So in saying that the base rate should not change.
Old 15-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #2708
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Leon Byner was talking about it this morning as well
Just to veer off topic for a moment........

Is he still going ?

He was a DJ (on 5KA I think) when I was a kid there 40 odd years ago.

Was known then as 'Binky Byner' but most called him Kinky Binky Byner
Old 15-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #2709
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes mate still going strong, has a large following and the ears of a lot of pollies........very respected shock jock (if that is the correct term).

I've emailed him for clarifications on a few occasions and he does respond with the relevant info.

"Kinky Binky"......Hah!...story in there somewhere I ponder.

Old 16-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #2710
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Hi guys

Just been looking into solar for a 3kw system in Perth. First one was with Zeus panels and inverter. Haven't really heard of this company so I am not really liking this option.
Second quote is for Growatt sungold Invertor and ReneSola virtus 2 Panels. They came out cheaper than the first quote and the Panels look to be a bit better but still not sure on the inverter.
Have someone coming out friday to do another quote then make a decision. Also how bad does the shade have to be to affect the solar panels. Will something like say the antenna for the TV's affect it badly.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #2711
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the shade will affect production but just how much from an antenna is yet to be seen......if it can't be helped theres not a lot to be done about it.

as for panels and inverters provided they have a good warranty from a respected company/installers you should be right.......no solar array goes forever.

xisled, I had a look at a few energy comparison websites and made a couple of phone calls, if you choose a provider off a website just be aware of the "fine print".

I noticed and was told (by providers) these online quoted prices are for "non feed in tariff recipients".......or if you gots solar don't go by these prices.......solar folks are charged more for power.

I was told to contact the relevant retailer to gain a price......

Old 16-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #2712
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
Hi guys

Second quote is for Growatt sungold Invertor and ReneSola virtus 2 Panels. They came out cheaper than the first quote and the Panels look to be a bit better but still not sure on the inverter.

don't be scared of the Renesola panels - they have among the best module efficiency out there @ 16% - they are true tier 1 and have independent 25 yr warranty and represent value for $$

http://www.pv-tech.org/news/renesola...ith_powerguard

edit - I would ask for an inverter upgrade, although if single string array then may not be warranted.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #2713
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

How good are these inverters..
http://www.sol-distribution.com.au/p...FY8kvQodiVkA9w
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #2714
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post

good value for money - transformer-less - the dual mppt models are best set in and used in single mppt mode as they do not not hit spec's in duel mode

I would give 6.5-7/10

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Old 23-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #2715
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

YAY good solar news, well for me anyway haha
the new house we are moving into in Perth WA is on the old contract of 48.8c for every unit i put back into the system and runs out 31/7/2020
now i thought i didnt get this as the new owners of the place buy synergy just told me that i do get it as its contacted to the house and not the owners
but the bad news is it is only have 1kw of panels and a 1.2kw inverter :(
dont quite know if that will help haha
they did say i could fill in some paper work or something to add/replace the system but it would be up to them on if i still get the 48.8c or i go down. wont know till i put paper work in
but wont be doing anything till renos have been finished in approx 6 months then i might make some calls and see what happens
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #2716
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

I'm pretty sure if you upgrade the inverter you will lose the feed in tariff and get a whopping 8 cents instead of the 48.8. If you leave the inverter and say add another panel to max out the inverter you will keep it.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #2717
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah thats what i thought also ,, wish i could take my 3kw system with me from my soon to be rental and put on the new place ..happy days then haha

so what power output am i'm looking at from my new huge 1kw system haha??
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
Old 24-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #2718
CJR09
RPO 77

depending on system efficiency you would be around 2000 kw/yr

Old 25-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #2719
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
I'm pretty sure if you upgrade the inverter you will lose the feed in tariff and get a whopping 8 cents instead of the 48.8. If you leave the inverter and say add another panel to max out the inverter you will keep it.
How would they know if you upgraded the inverter ??
Yea I know it will be 200% more efficient..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #2720
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
How would they know if you upgraded the inverter ??
Yea I know it will be 200% more efficient..
they go by previous infeeds.......larger than normal and they will come knocking, already happened here to a feller who upgraded and placed two more panels.

the original contract tariff stays with the original consumer, once he sells the house that contract is null and void, you will not receive the same FIT.

whoever told you that you will receive the same tariff is mistaken.

Old 25-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #2721
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they go by previous infeeds.......larger than normal and they will come knocking, already happened here to a feller who upgraded and placed two more panels.

the original contract tariff stays with the original consumer, once he sells the house that contract is null and void, you will not receive the same FIT.

whoever told you that you will receive the same tariff is mistaken.
Different states have different rules. In Vic the tariff is contracted to the house not the owners. House can be sold multiple times and stay on the same buy back. I think WA is the same as Vic.
Old 25-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #2722
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be buggered, I'd still get that in writing though.......cant trust the buggers.

Old 25-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #2723
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah it was the power company that told me and we only get one in Perth ..Synergy, i asked a few times over the phone and he said the contact is with the house and not the owner .. but come on who installs a 1kw of panels and a 1.2kw inverter haha bloody tight people

10.567sec for the strip
Old 25-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #2724
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be all good, as for size I guess we install what we can afford at the time, wished I placed a 10 Kw on the shed with the FIT now........didn't have the money then.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #2725
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in NSW with Origin, rate I pay is no different to what I paid with country energy but I do get 19% discount plus 2% pay on time discount. Could have got another 1% if I direct debited but I don't trust these $&$(;.()$
Only get 6c fit.
As my 12 month contract is up next week I've been checking compare websites and the best discount is 14% although need to do the numbers. Fit is only 5c maximum on any of them.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #2726
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This year as part of family tax pack I received a energy supliment payment[you have to apply for].

blows away any cost benifit of solar power rebates.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #2727
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't be better than my solar production.......I haven't paid a power bill since install....all credit.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #2728
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Couldn't be better than my solar production.......I haven't paid a power bill since install....all credit.
I wouldn't of either if I had of checked the meter regularly
Old 27-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #2729
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes I love the power company telling me what THEY OWE ME !!! not the other war around
Old 27-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #2730
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Hey all, I'm a complete noob at this, just purchased a property with 1.6kw System, only 1 to 2 of us here, minimal power usage as we are out most of the time. I know it won't cover much, being a small system, but something is better than nothing for the time being until we upgrade.

I received a letter from Origin Energy saying that 6c per Kw is the new amount payable, are there better rates around, and how do you go about this?

Thank you in advance
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post