Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #241
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Yeah, they told us they're looking at Subaru Foresters, apparently the drivers tend to bash up the Territory a lot.
QLD and WA already use Forrester for Intensive Care and station officer duties.

I doubt Territory will get a look in on Ambulance duties for a couple of reasons, 6 cyl is seen as too expensive and uneconomical and AWD is seen as required but too expensive on Territory. QLD used a Territory once but its running cost were too high and it had reliability issues.

I also can not see Sportswagon being used for the reasons and the lack of AWD.

The forresters are a good size but in my opinion the presence of AWD does not make up for their lack of handling and crap tyres, the Commodore's we had were better for emergency use.

As for the new Territory, not impossible but unlikely at the moment. Plus I do not see the size as really required, Forrester is big enough.

As for the opening pic, not bad. I wonder if DRL's will become cool around here once a Ford is fitted with them and no longer a HSV only thing.
Old 18-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #242
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Where did you get those sale fiqures from ?.
It was either a GoAuto or Carpoint press article that quoted Marin Burela. Early this year or last year from memory.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #243
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
It was either a GoAuto or Carpoint press article that quoted Marin Burela. Early this year or last year from memory.
And out of that 60% sales of RWD, how many would be fleet or non public consumer's ?, take that into account and then it starts to look a little different, either way 60% versus 40% is not really a demanding fiqure.
How many of the remaining 40% of AWD sales, would you think be fleet ?, or how many AWD sale's would be private is more the question ?.
I'd like to know a breakdown of private versus fleet/goverment when comparing AWD to RWD, I'd allmost have a guess that many of the 60% was helped along by fleet/goverment and when you look into AWD only, it would be vice versa,
More family orientated buyer's would opt for AWD, why ?, because of the sole purpose the Territory was aimed at, or let me say the AWD Territory was aimed at, people that want a car like vehicle but has the advantage to tour and escape with on the weekend's, a SUV, some would call them.
So getting back to my original claim that I believe a larger size tank, now helped along with the added benifeit of Diesel, would be a very healthy marketing campaign for those that are in the market of a Medium SUV.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #244
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
And out of that 60% sales of RWD, how many would be fleet or non public consumer's ?, take that into account and then it starts to look a little different, either way 60% versus 40% is not really a demanding fiqure.
How many of the remaining 40% of AWD sales, would you think be fleet ?, or how many AWD sale's would be private is more the question ?.
I'd like to know a breakdown of private versus fleet/goverment when comparing AWD to RWD, I'd allmost have a guess that many of the 60% was helped along by fleet/goverment and when you look into AWD only, it would be vice versa,
More family orientated buyer's would opt for AWD, why ?, because of the sole purpose the Territory was aimed at, or let me say the AWD Territory was aimed at, people that want a car like vehicle but has the advantage to tour and escape with on the weekend's, a SUV, some would call them.
So getting back to my original claim that I believe a larger size tank, now helped along with the added benifeit of Diesel, would be a very healthy marketing campaign for those that are in the market of a Medium SUV.
A lot of people opt for the AWd so they can get the 6-Speed ZF.
Also, a lot of those non-private sales are actually user chooser novated leases.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #245
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I think you'll find that the majority of Territory 'fleet' sales are novated leases as jpd has outlined. As a direct corporate or government fleet purchase, the Territory is out of the question because it would fall foul of tailpipe emissions policies and so forth. The WA Government StateFleet vehicle selection matrix is a classic example - anything over 230g/klm of CO2 is an instant blacklist. The Territory is way in excess of that (I think even the e-gas Falcon is).

Anecdotally, I can say that 1 in say 8 Territories I see are AWD versions and almost all of them are being used as family carriers. This is not to say it mightn't be completely different in another area however.

Getting back to the petrol tank debate, one of the things to bear in mind when comparing the Territory with vehicles like the Prado, is that the Prado (and the 200 Series Landcruiser and that new V8 Nissan Patrol) was developed the way it was with features like the 150 litre tank because of the Middle Eastern market - not ours. The amount of influence our piddling market has on the R&D criteria of a global car like the Prado is miniscule.

Another thing to consider about the tank - packaging is the number one problem for Ford when considering a bigger tank in the Territory. A factory LPG option for the Territory was ruled out for this very reason - it simply couldn't be accommodated in the car.

We will have to agree to disagree, because I simply cannot see how it would be worthwhile for Ford to spend the money to do it. They would be better off investing the money in another part of the car that would provide a benefit for all users of the vehicle - perhaps improved fuel efficiency would provide the benefit of an extended range tank? There is also the persistent talk that Ford may bring a body-on-frame 4x4 SUV to Australia in the form of the T6 project which would more than likely have the features and the tank size to go head to head with the likes of the Prado - Toyota has the Territory pinned to the mat at the moment with the Kluger and Prado tag team - having a fresh Territory and a proper 4x4 SUV would give them some of their own medicine.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 18-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #246
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
QLD and WA already use Forrester for Intensive Care and station officer duties.

I doubt Territory will get a look in on Ambulance duties for a couple of reasons, 6 cyl is seen as too expensive and uneconomical and AWD is seen as required but too expensive on Territory. QLD used a Territory once but its running cost were too high and it had reliability issues.

I also can not see Sportswagon being used for the reasons and the lack of AWD.

The forresters are a good size but in my opinion the presence of AWD does not make up for their lack of handling and crap tyres, the Commodore's we had were better for emergency use.

As for the new Territory, not impossible but unlikely at the moment. Plus I do not see the size as really required, Forrester is big enough.

As for the opening pic, not bad. I wonder if DRL's will become cool around here once a Ford is fitted with them and no longer a HSV only thing.
Its good to hear from the horses mouth, we just get little bits here and there, we've built a lot of Territory's for them recently, they dont store much between the cabinet and the cargo barrier it seems. Do you guys have much say in the choice of vehicle or does mr bean counter decide what you need?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #247
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Probably, but I think it's the whole design that ruins the HSVs - not the DRLs...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #248
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I got the AWD Terri, because where we lived there was black ice in winter, occasional snow and flooding. Also plenty of dirt roads about. I got the AWD for the added safety margin, nothing more I'm afraid.

I would never have even looked at Terri if I needed a 4WD type vehicle, as Territory is basically a Falcon wagon and I was under no illusions it was anything more.

Of all the faults in my current Terri and unfortunately, there have been too many, fuel range is frankly the last worry. This from someone who lived in rural NSW for ten years.

The diesel is a step forward for sure. That said, a dramatic improvement in build quality and engineering where the current Terri falls down, would impress me far, far more then a big fuel tank. In fact without the quality issues being properly addressed, I couldn't care less about anything else to do with the new Terri.

We are a prime candidate to upgrade to the new model, but my wife is not interested after the issues with our current car. It would take three years or more of spot on experiences from members here, before she might even look at one. She appreciates the pluses of this car, but is not prepared to have another Ford with the issues this one has had and fair enough to.

The challenge for the new Territory is going to be living down the reputation of the last one. The jury is still out as to whether Ford have learn't their lesson and got this new one right. Range won't be an issue for most as the diesel means it will be significantly better anyway.

The money needs to be spent in making this new one bullet proof and jumping all over any issues that might occur, when it happens - not when Ford thinks they have a cheap enough solution or can't ignore the media anymore. That is the key to this cars potential success in my opinion.

A hint of the issues like those from the SX and this car won't get up in the sales charts for long, good fuel range or not. Ford don't have much leeway with the public these days.

My two cents worth.

Regards,
Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #249
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you'll find that the majority of Territory 'fleet' sales are novated leases as jpd has outlined. As a direct corporate or government fleet purchase, the Territory is out of the question because it would fall foul of tailpipe emissions policies and so forth. The WA Government StateFleet vehicle selection matrix is a classic example - anything over 230g/klm of CO2 is an instant blacklist. The Territory is way in excess of that (I think even the e-gas Falcon is).

Anecdotally, I can say that 1 in say 8 Territories I see are AWD versions and almost all of them are being used as family carriers. This is not to say it mightn't be completely different in another area however.
But, the $64 question is, will the diesel allow the Territory to get back on the government/corporate purchase lists?

Quote:
Another thing to consider about the tank - packaging is the number one problem for Ford when considering a bigger tank in the Territory
True. That said, looking underneath the vehicle, I do believe there is space to squeeze in another 10-20l.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8

Of all the faults in my current Terri and unfortunately, there have been too many, fuel range is frankly the last worry. This from someone who lived in rural NSW for ten years.

The diesel is a step forward for sure. That said, a dramatic improvement in build quality and engineering where the current Terri falls down, would impress me far, far more then a big fuel tank. In fact without the quality issues being properly addressed, I couldn't care less about anything else to do with the new Terri.
I also agree with this comment. While my Territory spent a few times in the workshop, what really got under my nose was my last G6E. Issue after issue, and the treatment from the Dealer rubbed salt into the wounds every time.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #250
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
But, the $64 question is, will the diesel allow the Territory to get back on the government/corporate purchase lists?
Add a few 0's to that $64. The matrix says "SUV's may only be purchased for [government services] where there is a clear operational need for such a vehicle. It is expected the most cost effective vehicle will be selected."

The Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi with the 2.2L turbo diesel engine produces 201g/klm of CO2. The Holden Captiva with the 2.0L diesel produces 234g/klm (and therefore over the threshold) and the Mitsubishi Challenger 2.5L diesel produces 263g/klm. The Territory in its current RWD, 4 speed auto form produces 293g/klm.

So I guess the diesel Territory is still going to struggle in this regard.

Old 18-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #251
Bobman
Regulator

Premier Ted Baillieu in Victoria has a Territory Ghia as his vehicle!

Beats those Statesmans that Brumby loved so much.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #252
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

There are some spy pics and new info posted on FAF. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to copy them from there to here without permission; I will just say the grille design is pretty close to the artist's pic (sans chrome flashing) and replace the LED lights with the FG's running lights and you've got the production model.

Old 18-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #253
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are some spy pics and new info posted on FAF. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to copy them from there to here without permission; I will just say the grille design is pretty close to the artist's pic (sans chrome flashing) and replace the LED lights with the FG's running lights and you've got the production model.
Can someone post up the pics, i have tried looking at them and its not working.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #254
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura
Can someone post up the pics, i have tried looking at them and its not working.
Here ya go:
http://kimag.es/view/76846313.jpg
http://kimag.es/view/65452132.jpg
http://kimag.es/view/36687470.jpg
http://kimag.es/view/35884120.jpg
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #255
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #256
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was having a good look at this in today and yesterday's paper. Interesting to read how low Territory sales have dropped over last 5 years from a year high 23,454 to estimated 12,000 or less. And of the medium soft roaders once shared 34.6% of the market but this year only 13.1
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #257
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Premier Ted Baillieu in Victoria has a Territory Ghia as his vehicle!

Beats those Statesmans that Brumby loved so much.
Brumbles used to get around in a white G6ET. I guess Ted the Toff prefers to get around in Toorak tractors ;)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #258
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Brumbles used to get around in a white G6ET. I guess Ted the Toff prefers to get around in Toorak tractors ;)
Nice. Thanks for the info. I didn't see the G6ET but that is a good choice too!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #259
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Brumbledore getting around in a G6ET?? I always pictured him tottering around in a clapped out Subaru Brumby.

Last edited by dylancox; 19-12-2010 at 01:53 AM.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #260
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HERE IT IS, THE NEW TERRITORY! Thanks to Brendan (aka. DJIntergr8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIntegr8
Spotted today at the local shops

Brendan
I love it.

EDIT: s***ty photoshop attempt at removing camo.. better than nothing I suppose.

Last edited by block58; 19-12-2010 at 03:14 AM.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #261
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks tacky and old I reckon.
Old 19-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #262
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks fckn hideous hopefully a darker colour will do the trick. And 3t towing capacity?! would hate to see all the cracks underneath after 200k of decent towing. Oh well atleast there is a turbo diesel finally.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #263
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Looks tacky and old I reckon.
Coming from somebody whose source of income is servicing Honda CRVs.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #264
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Coming from somebody whose source of income is servicing Honda CRVs.
Thats what I used to do, I'm in a different trade now, but whats the problem with that? I could have just lined up at Centrelink and they pay more than 1st year apprenticeship wages, but I didn't.

At least at Honda our customers didn't have issues with fighting dealerships for warranty claims.

But I do agree with you there, Honda CRV is whack.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #265
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm beginning to think it's all too little too late. I thought this could work, but looking at those pictures, it just looks like a major facelift and interior tuck.

The side profile is pretty much identical take away the plastic cladding detailing, and considering the car was launched in 2004 I just can't see thousands of people every month wanting a car that looks like it's had a mid-life facelift when every other manufacturer will have fresh designs and no doubt more features.

In saying all that, I do think it looks good. A little lost of the tail lights, but the front I like a lot. But it just looks a little daft considering the side profile is near identical to the 2004 model. We needed this in 2008, in 2011 we need a total refresh. I really want to like this, I'm trying, but I can't help but feel the beginning of the end is upon us?
Old 19-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #266
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I'm beginning to think it's all too little too late. I thought this could work, but looking at those pictures, it just looks like a major facelift and interior tuck.

The side profile is pretty much identical take away the plastic cladding detailing, and considering the car was launched in 2004 I just can't see thousands of people every month wanting a car that looks like it's had a mid-life facelift when every other manufacturer will have fresh designs and no doubt more features.
It's unfortunate but I think you're right. It really doesn't look that different from the Territory launched six years ago. I don't think it will stand out enough for people to seriously take notice. Hopefully the diesel will draw more people in because the I6 in Territory-guise is way too thirsty for what is fundamentally a people mover.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #267
Windsor220
Now Fordless

That doesnt look as good as expected.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #268
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Look at the end of the day it's still a partially camouflaged mule. It's not meant to look pretty - perhaps save the judgement until such time as we see some official release photos which will no doubt showcase the high-end models as well which invariably are the best looking ones.

Old 19-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #269
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look at the end of the day it's still a partially camouflaged mule. It's not meant to look pretty - perhaps save the judgement until such time as we see some official release photos which will no doubt showcase the high-end models as well which invariably are the best looking ones.
Doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to look past some black tape, it's pretty much all there for the taking. No amount of glossy paper and chrome can hide the fact the side profile is from 2004 and the front looks tacked on thanks to this.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, maybe the small amount of tape is hiding a fantastic refresh and perhaps this early build will change slightly, but IMHO it's not great in these pictures and I'm loosing hope.

If the car can't look great with some dirt and sunlight on it, combined with some tape, my guess is it's not going to look great on the road.
Old 19-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #270
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm...not as good as the drawing..the grille is a no no, should have done the FG style..that makes it look like an Escape on roids...
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post