Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #241
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
and as for the pics, I do understand it would have been nasty, but taking pics after the paramedics/firies have used the jaws of life on the car and claiming it to be the result of the accident is stretching it a fair bit.
So when the paramedic who arrived on the scene said it was the worst crash he's ever seen in more than 30 years as a paramedic.....what does that tell you? I wager the scene wouldn't have been much better before they used the jaws of life...
Old 18-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #242
Bobman
Regulator

From The Age:

Quote:
''He was everything,'' said Johnstone's girlfriend of two years, Natalie Bryant, who was with him at the party. After the gatecrashers arrived, she said, he had decided to move his high-powered 2007 Ford XR6, his pride and joy. He climbed in with his younger half-brother, Will Te-Whare, 15, and four other mates, but was quickly surrounded by five or six men who tried to get him out.

According to his girlfriend, Johnstone sped off in anger. Some gatecrashers ran after him while others piled into another car and drove off in pursuit, she said.
That adds another scenario to the story. If anyone has been chased by a mob in another car, you can understand how the adrenaline pumps through. I was chased once just for beeping at a car in front of me that didn't move when the lights were green. Almost killed myself in the process and the car only drove away when I turned into a police station car park.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the media reporting "high powered Falcon".

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 18-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #243
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
From The Age:

That adds another scenario to the story. If anyone has been chased by a mob in another car, you can understand how the adrenaline pumps through. I was chased once just for beeping at a car in front of me that didn't move when the lights were green. Almost killed myself in the process and the car only drove away when I turned into a police station car park.
If you are being chased, your mates would not be hanging out of the car windows. Sounds like it may be somebody elses fault. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Why am I not surprised.

[/QUOTE]I'm sick and tired of hearing the media reporting "high powered Falcon".[/QUOTE]

I completley agree. I wonder if the same fuss would have been made if the car was a Commodre with a SIDI engine.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #244
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
If you are being chased, your mates would not be hanging out of the car windows. Sounds like it may be somebody elses fault. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Why am I not surprised.
No, no. I was just putting an alternative theory forward. Yes, it was the drivers fault at the end of the day. Certain circumstances always contribute but the sole cause was the driver's actions. A complete waste of life.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 18-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #245
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

bobman, ur correct.. no more powerfull than a toyota aurion/SV6 commodore... they are quick in a sence but in comparision to what exactly are they 'HIGH' powered? power to weight matters, 200kw in a 1.8Ton falcon is quickish, 200kw in a .8T lotus is mental. wayy to much focus on the output rather than the power to weight which is WHAT makes it FAST, and on top of that the article you speek about certainly does add in a context that wasnt showen in other reports, if they were being chased thats a different ballgame alltogether.

no 4V man, im not missing the point, note I did make mention about family/and particulary the girl, the point is all this causes is knee jerk reactions my morons put in power who think they can controll everything... I dont think that much would have stopped this from occuring certainly not a speedcamera, perhaps a marked vehicle if they didnt do a runner.... but why legislate/ban/law make because one person made a severe error of judgement?.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 18-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #246
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, no. I was just putting an alternative theory forward. Yes, it was the drivers fault at the end of the day. Certain circumstances always contribute but the sole cause was the driver's actions. A complete waste of life.
I understand that. My response was within what i said in my earlier post, regarding a generation that doesn't accept responsibility for their own actions. (not all, but some). Why was his "Pride and Joy" even at the party when it was allegedly unregistered? Also, he appears to have a history of doing stupid things, and then not abiding by the punishments handed down.

Would you even get into a car driven by a person like this?
Old 18-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #247
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
I'm sick and tired of hearing the media reporting "high powered Falcon".
In total agreeance with you here. Another push for harsher restrictions where they are not necessary due to something being exaggerated and sensationalised by a bunch of 'educated' (idiotic) people.

As for the loss of life, it's extremely unfortunate, as well as the injuries the girl suffered. Ultimately, the driver paid the price/suffered the consequences of his unnecessary behaviour/actions.

Just thankful the incident didn't snowball into something worse with more damage/harm involved for the unsuspecting public.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #248
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
but why legislate/ban/law make because one person made a severe error of judgement?.
I agree with this....we shouldn't all have to suffer due to one instance of recklessness....not that the government has said anything.....yet...
Old 18-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #249
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i think your logic is flawed, blameing dad for letting the driver have an xr6 is just wrong imo, this could have happened in proton or a pulsar or a 73 corona.
yes i agree but he wont be doing 140km in a proton with five people or have the kids wanting to go for a ride in proton coz it go o-100 as fast as xr6
///////????????
Old 18-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #250
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactly
yes i agree but he wont be doing 140km in a proton with five people or have the kids wanting to go for a ride in proton coz it go o-100 as fast as xr6
///////????????
Why not? If the kids only had a proton to go out in, they would have gone out in a proton....who's to say they wouldn't have been going at a similarly fast speed? Do you think the devastation would have been any less if all 6 of them were squashed into a proton, and it hit the tree at only 120kmh????

If that had happened, we'd all be sitting here saying the same stuff...
Old 18-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #251
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Why do the media assume the xr6 is a performance car? It has the exact same engine as a base model XT

almost any car on the road is capable of reaching 140km/h, imagine hitting a tree in a barina or something. Would the media then say Smalls cars are unsafe? No..
Old 18-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #252
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Why not? If the kids only had a proton to go out in, they would have gone out in a proton....who's to say they wouldn't have been going at a similarly fast speed? Do you think the devastation would have been any less if all 6 of them were squashed into a proton, and it hit the tree at only 120kmh????

you dont know that for shaw . even if it is a possible fact of if ???? then we as parents should do .my girls will not be driving six cyl cars or v8s turbos etc etc etc as they are faster and they whole thing is to what ???????
slow these kids down
Old 18-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #253
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
///////????????
Any car on the road is capable of driving faster than ALL speed limits...
So while a Proton with 5 people in it might not get to 140km/h as quickly as an XR6... it could still get there all the same....

As I remember, I wasn't the first of my group of friends that turned 18 or had a car... So it didn't matter who had the car, or what it was... so long as it was A CAR....
In my time it was KE Laser bubblebacks (comparable to a Proton Hatch) and they could certainly still get to 140km/h (with a bit of a tailwind or run-up) and still be lethal all the same...

The solution to the problem is changing the mentality of our younger drivers...
EVERY time you take to the road, you take your own life and all other road users lives in your hands...

And I don't think that many drivers (not just the young ones) actually consider this EACH and EVERY time they turn the ignition key...
Old 18-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #254
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
///////????????

The parents have a 1.8l Corolla hatch, common as a P plate car. You could jam 6 in that and do 140 in the same area of road. Yes it would be dumb, just as dumb as what has happened. Cars are not the problem, the drivers are.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #255
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Let's keep this on topic - there have been some well considered posts in this thread and I don't want to see it closed because people cannot respect the right of another to an opinion that differs from theirs.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 18-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #256
exactly

if one servived for being in a six good thank god they wernt in a v8 coz none would servive if it was a four would only 3 die maybe
Old 18-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #257
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
if one servived for being in a six good thank god they wernt in a v8 coz none would servive if it was a four would only 3 die maybe
there is obviously no logic behind what you have just said...

I'm pretty sure the engine size does not determine how bad a car crash is....
Old 18-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #258
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
How exactly did you work this out? I'm all for respecting one's opinion but come on, seriously....

So does this mean that if all six of them were in a Smart car, that only 1 or 2 of them would have died??
Old 18-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #259
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

how can u say that when ther is allready laws stating what they can drive on what licence
Old 18-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #260
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It doesn't matter a stuff what size, type, make, model or engine size the subject vehicle has or had. If the person in control of the said vehicle is driving in an irresponsible manner, the same recipe for disaster exists regardless.

I do a little bit of driving/riding instructing on the side, more for friends and family than anything, but the thing I emphasise the most is risk management. Drivers (or riders) don't seem to classify themselves as a risk factor that needs to be managed and I think this is one of the most overlooked aspects of driver training.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 18-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #261
exactly

Originally Posted by dave93761

Old 18-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #262
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

I think he was being sarcastic. And I agree, to say they would have been better off in a 4 cylinder is just plain ignorant and stupid ( no offence to anyone )

The outcome would have been the same in ANY car, You cant restrict L or P platers to 4 cylinder cars. How the hell are they going to get their 100 hours up if mum and dad only own a 6 cylinder. Theyre better off learning how to control power rather than jump in a 6 or v8 when theyre allowed to, plant the foot and smash into a pole because theyre only used to a 4 cylinder
Old 18-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #263
exactly

you wrote it dave
Do you think the devastation would have been any less if all 6 of them were squashed into a proton, and it hit the tree at only 120kmh????
the answer to this yes
Old 18-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #264
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
...the thing I emphasise the most is risk management. Drivers (or riders) don't seem to classify themselves as a risk factor that needs to be managed and I think this is one of the most overlooked aspects of driver training.
Spot on.....every time you see an ACA, TT or 60 minutes thing about younger people behind the wheel, this is evident when they actually speak to the kids. A lot of younger drivers think it's all about what's going on outside the car, and it has nothing to do with what they can actually control inside the car.....when in fact a lot of the time, it's the exact opposite.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #265
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
you wrote it dave
Do you think the devastation would have been any less if all 6 of them were squashed into a proton, and it hit the tree at only 120kmh????
the answer to this yes
If you honestly believe this, I'm saddened......but that's your opinion, and that's fine
Old 18-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #266
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
I think he was being sarcastic. And I agree, to say they would have been better off in a 4 cylinder is just plain ignorant and stupid ( no offence to anyone )

The outcome would have been the same in ANY car, You cant restrict L or P platers to 4 cylinder cars. How the hell are they going to get their 100 hours up if mum and dad only own a 6 cylinder. Theyre better off learning how to control power rather than jump in a 6 or v8 when theyre allowed to, plant the foot and smash into a pole because theyre only used to a 4 cylinder
i do agree i have 2 falcons my wifes au and my el my girls will learn to drive by me in these cars but will not own one .and yes will learn power slides skids hand brackys and all but they will not do it for fun once they have ther p it is for safety only
Old 18-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #267
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
i do agree i have 2 falcons my wifes au and my el my girls will learn to drive by me in these cars but will not own one .and yes will learn power slides skids hand brackys and all but they will not do it for fun once they have ther p it is for safety only
Are you a trained driving instructor?

Defensive driving courses simply must become mandatory for all new P-Plate drivers. Regardless of how much this may cost, it's not worth having tragedies like what we saw yesterday morning.
Old 18-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #268
ltd
Force Fed Fords

exactly, there are too many differing factors to consider before determining the ultimate number of casualties between a falcon and a proton at various speeds. Yes, the mass of the vehicle multiplied by the speed was the determining force, but then you have to break down the collision with the tree and determine the structural strength of both cars and the various critical deformation and failure points, the lateral movement of the tree, the cross sectional area of the tyres and the condition to determine adhesion, the vertical acceleration of the vehicle and the aforementioned tyres regarding adhesive loading; and a whole bunch of other factors before determining the outcome. As a general rule though, a proton is not built to withstand side impacts at all and has fared rather poorly in comparitive crash tests. The falcon on the other hand was designed to give better side intrusion protection although the force of the accident has obviously exceeded the maximum loading for the car, and the structure resultantly failed.

If I were to have an opinion, if a falcon does that at 140km/h then you'd only need to do about 90km/h in a Proton for the same result.

Quote: