Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #2641
CJR09
RPO 77

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Before making a decision ask the supplier/installer if they will match the Delta warranty with the SMA - depending on the inverter size and model they are pretty similar TBH but the Delta comes with a factory 10yr warranty where the SMA is only 5yr. Whether it is justified or not the SMA have a better rep - there is about a 40% price difference between comparative inverters - they should be offering the Delta controlled system $500-$1500 cheaper than the SMA.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #2642
CJR09
RPO 77

If it was my own place with a basic install I would go with the Delta - they do the same thing and you get twice the warranty at almost half the price.

It is only when you move to transformer-less multi string complex installs where the SMA come into there own IMHO.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #2643
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
If it was my own place with a basic install I would go with the Delta - they do the same thing and you get twice the warranty at almost half the price.

It is only when you move to transformer-less multi string complex installs where the SMA come into there own IMHO.
I have a side by side comparison on the wall of two inverters, one with transformer based design the other a solid state design.

The one with the transformer makes a varying humming noise that resonates through the weatherboards and can be very annoying especially as it is starting up in the morning,

Also the transformerless one weighs a LOT less.

Both are SMA.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #2644
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Quick question....
Got two quotes. Same ballpark in price. One is using a Delta inverter the other SMA inverter.

Is one better than the other?
very similar in performance and reliability, delta has a better warranty but whether that is needed or not I don't know.

we use only SMA around here, never had a failure YET!.........but it is early days, my system is only 3 years or so old, and the installs I have been involved in aren't much older, so........ early days.

either one would be quite acceptable I feel.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #2645
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I have a side by side comparison on the wall of two inverters, one with transformer based design the other a solid state design.

The one with the transformer makes a varying humming noise that resonates through the weatherboards and can be very annoying especially as it is starting up in the morning,

Also the transformerless one weighs a LOT less.

Both are SMA.

This is to be expected - need to make sure comparing apples

Old 11-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #2646
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.solarcitizens.org.au not sure if they can do anything but I and a few friends have just joined.

perhaps if enough of us get onboard someone somewhere MAY listen.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #2647
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

guys, I'm really confused here.....

I've got two quotes for a 5kw system, and they are pretty much the same price.

No. 1 - Planet Care Solar - Delta Solivia 5.0 inverter with sunlink panels
No. 2 - SAE group - SMA sb5000 inverter with Schutten panels

like I said, same sort of price.

Now I here that SMA's are one of the best at the moment, so too are the sun link panels.

Any suggestions?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #2648
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

much of a muchness.......SMA is the better inverter........shame you couldn't match the the sma with the sun link's.

check the warranty (should be 25 years) and if they are the same go with either.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #2649
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
http://www.solarcitizens.org.au not sure if they can do anything but I and a few friends have just joined.

perhaps if enough of us get onboard someone somewhere MAY listen.
I've browsed this forum a few times for info: http://www.solarfreaks.com/ A bit over my head at times - that's not hard to do though!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2650
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes those places can be a mine of information.......

Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #2651
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
guys, I'm really confused here.....

I've got two quotes for a 5kw system, and they are pretty much the same price.

No. 1 - Planet Care Solar - Delta Solivia 5.0 inverter with sunlink panels
No. 2 - SAE group - SMA sb5000 inverter with Schutten panels

like I said, same sort of price.

Now I here that SMA's are one of the best at the moment, so too are the sun link panels.

Any suggestions?

I would keep shopping - I don't think either of those panel manufacturers are tier 1 - do you have a link for info on the sun-links? I stand corrected if they are tier 1...

you need clarification that the SMA is/isnt transformerless (pretty sure they only do TL in that size now anyhow) - if not then the Delta is every bit as good with better warranty and cheaper price that you can spend balance on better panels - in theory

until I saw info to say otherwise I would not go with either of those panels

Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #2652
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Ok, the SMA inverter is SMA SB5000TL-21, so transformerless.

The Sun Link panels are SL220-20. Apparently Tier 1, but that is only what they have said to me.

Delta inverter is 10 year warranty. SMA is 5 year warranty.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #2653
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:

The Sun Link panels are SL220-20. Apparently Tier 1, but that is only what they have said to me.

that being the case - roll with the sma but ask for a panel upgrade - I suspect that is how they compete with other in similar price bracket - they are trading off the supposed SMA brand rep/public percption to get sales but using lower quality module to keep cost down.

Sunlink - tier 1?
- vertically integrated? - maybe
- invests in r&d? - maybe
- advanced robotic assembly? - probably
- manufacturing panels for 5+yrs? - I don't think so, started 2010?

Those sunlink panels you quoted are only @ 13% efficiency with a power tolerance +/- 3% - most modules these days are 15%+ with a tolerance of 0+% - meaning they wont rate below stated but may produce above

edit:

the only info I can find on the Schutten panels suggest they are no better - same spec's

If the SMA dudes can't offer a reasonable upgrade at an acceptable cost go elsewhere - reasonable cost diff on modules would be approx 20-30%

Last edited by CJR09; 11-06-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #2654
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone seen any pricing on a Microinverter setup in NSW ?

I have an offer of 6k for a 4kw Yingli with APS microinverters (includes web monitoring).
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #2655
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

SMA inverter for me as well with a panel upgrade to a better spec.

how much research have you done on quality/output/reliability/price comparisons?

there is a lot online, solar is so competitive right now there are bargains galore.

try EM solars website just for a ball park comparison.

Old 25-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #2656
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just got a text from agl that said they are sending me a cheque for my solar credits WTF .so I rang them and said I want it left on my account they said no problem and changed it . whats that about ? tax time ? buggered if I know but im glad they changed it cos I wasn't happy
Old 26-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #2657
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
just got a text from agl that said they are sending me a cheque for my solar credits WTF .so I rang them and said I want it left on my account they said no problem and changed it . whats that about ? tax time ? buggered if I know but im glad they changed it cos I wasn't happy
I am with agl in QLD, thats what they do. You have 3 options, accumulate, cheque or bank account. If you ticked the keep it box then it must not have been transferred into computer. I have never had an issue with agl, whatever I wanted they gave me. Phone operators are very good. I used to have cheques sent out but now it goes straight into an account. Getting a cheque in the mail is nice for a while.
Old 26-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #2658
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had solar for 2 years never wanted or had a cheque before came out of the blue
Old 26-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #2659
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we built a new home around a year ago and included was a 3.5kw solar system. the problem i have is i have to sell the local greedy energy mob my excess electricity during the day for .08c and in return they sell me electricity for .27c when the sun goes down.
storing our own energy will be priority over the next 12 months, ready for no bills come retirement.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #2660
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733 View Post
we built a new home around a year ago and included was a 3.5kw solar system. the problem i have is i have to sell the local greedy energy mob my excess electricity during the day for .08c and in return they sell me electricity for .27c when the sun goes down.
storing our own energy will be priority over the next 12 months, ready for no bills come retirement.
with the recent rise and another in the pipeline we are looking at disconnection and on site storage as well.

Old 27-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #2661
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I just got my agl bill and im shocked I will need a second mortgage to pay for this excessive bill its a wopping $4.54 im ruined lol oh yeah it came off my credit so still have $537.64
Old 27-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #2662
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
well I just got my agl bill and im shocked I will need a second mortgage to pay for this excessive bill its a wopping $4.54 im ruined lol oh yeah it came off my credit so still have $537.64
Hah!! well done.......

Old 27-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #2663
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You blokes who got in on the 44c are sooooo lucky!
Why is it they can't change your feed in tarriff but us poor folk on 8c they can do what they like with?
I assume it's in law somewhere and it would cost them more to get out of it...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #2664
fnm17

LG17 no doubt someone will state the exact phrase from the contract (and probably date, time, etc) relating to the feed in, but the government guaranteed the 44c feed in rate to 2028 or something like that up to a certain point in time, so for the government to go back on that would be legal eagle type scenario of breaking a contract.
fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #2665
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have said before - when there was 60c feedin in NSW I could not cost justify solar, because of the 6 year payback on a 2kw system.

But as the Gross FIT dropped, so did the Solar setup price, and the 2kw system dropped back to a 3 year payback
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #2666
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Why is it they can't change your feed in tarriff but us poor folk on 8c they can do what they like with?
funny you should say that..........I was on the $0.44c FIT with a retailer FIT of 9.8c Per Kw.

I just got notice from Lumo that my cost per kilowatt is to rise by $0.02c per kilowatt and my FIT is to drop by $0.02c per KW.

an effective rise of $0.04c per kilowatt.........second rise (on top of my supply charge rise) in 4 months since i resigned a "contract"......

time I went off grid I think and time the useless bloody Government got off their collective ***** and did something about these lying, thieving bloody power companies.

3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #2667
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I don't think the 44c FIT is set in stone. Yes, I think at the time it was guaranteed until 2025 set in legislation, govco made the legislation and I wouldn't be surprised if they can change the legislation. I don't recall many successful legal challenges being made against govco on the state or federal levels - have seen some wins against local councils though.

I've got the 44c FIT which I think is very generous, another 8 months and that will have paid for my system. The 8c FIT is unfair. I would really like to see a balance struck where if say your cost per kW on your main usage tariff was 30c, then your FIT was 30c. That is, I'd be happy to lose my 44c FIT if those on the 8c FIT moved up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
with the recent rise and another in the pipeline we are looking at disconnection and on site storage as well.
I'd like to see how you go about doing that poppa, not a step by step guide, but what basic changes/additions/costs are incurred when you decide to tackle it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #2668
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Would be fairly expensive I reckon, big inverters and lots of deep cycle batteries unless you converted your house lighting to DC, you could take some load off inverters that way.

I'd assume you'd also want a decent sized diesel generator too if you get a large period of crappy weather.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #2669
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see how you go about doing that poppa, not a step by step guide, but what basic changes/additions/costs are incurred when you decide to tackle it.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I've been involved in a few now and it really isn't that hard, a few simple changes are all that is needed.

the inverter has to be changed (to regulate charging of the batteries as well as direct supply, any agent can advise on size and the details) and a sparky can fill in the details, luckily I have a good friend with 30 years plus electrical experience and fully trained on solar, he fixes my wayward nuances.

a battery bank, we currently buy "used" GEL or AGM batteries from ebay that were previously used on commercial solar installs and are past their "use by date".

then the best part is the notification to the power company to "disconnect".

hopefully, if all the sums have been done correctly then we have "free energy".

cost is the prohibitive factor ATM even using 2nd hand batteries and even with more cost effective converter chargers it is not cheap...... YET!.

then a generator backup as well for the not so sunny days.

if/when the new graphite technology hits the market then costs will plummet.

Old 27-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #2670
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
funny you should say that..........I was on the $0.44c FIT with a retailer FIT of 9.8c Per Kw.

I just got notice from Lumo that my cost per kilowatt is to rise by $0.02c per kilowatt and my FIT is to drop by $0.02c per KW.

an effective rise of $0.04c per kilowatt.........second rise (on top of my supply charge rise) in 4 months since i resigned a "contract"......

time I went off grid I think and time the useless bloody Government got off their collective ***** and did something about these lying, thieving bloody power companies.
That sucks Poppa at least you are on a higher rate than the minimum. I guess thats why they can drop it because it is higher than the minimum rate.

(Before 1 October 2011) Retailer 7.6c/kWh SA Powernetworks 44.0c/kWh
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post