Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #2611
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Here in Victoria the feed in tariff stays with the residence, so yes.
are you absolutely sure about that?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #2612
zilo
BANNED

.double post

Last edited by zilo; 23-05-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 23-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #2613
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Hi Zilo,

Your 10 panels should (will) produce about 350 Volts DC. (Somewhere I have a spec sheet for the panels on our roof that, from memory, produce approximately 40 volts d.c. open circuit, this falls a bit when the load comes on.

The heater in your storage tank will have an insulation rating for 240 V a.c. which means it is able to withstand potentials of 340 volts or there-abouts. So they ought to be OK for the nominal 350 V d.c. (There is always some "safety" headroom in the design). But of more concern is that the (usual) heater element is designed for 240 volts and so will (try) to draw a larger current than its rating. This is likely to be inexcess of the panel's capability and there will be heating effects in the panel for which they are not designed. If you limit the panel string to 6 or 7 panels you should avoid this problem. This would provide 1500/1750 watts if you are using the more modern 250 watt panels.

Another problem will be with your thermostat contacts which are designed for a.c. and any arc that gets drawn when the contacts open is extinguished when the voltage waveform passes through zero volts. With d.c. this does not happen and thus any arc is maintained. This causes rapid erosion of the thermostat contacts and failure. One failure mode is that the contacts get welded closed and thus heating continues until some other fault appears. This might be, if the storage container is a pressure vessel, rupturing of the tank because the increasing water temperature causes expansion and thus increased pressure. Very hot water can also be a real hazard to people, especially if they are not expecting the very high temperatures. Particularly at risk are young children in baths who turn on a hot tap. d.c. thermostats are available, I believe, and I would counsel that you retro fit one of these if you proceed with your plan to directly feed the heater element from the panels.

Incidentally, this arcing business is the reason why you should always start the isolation procedure for a PV grid tied system by opening the a.c. switch or miniature circuit breaker on the output side of the inverter. This causes the input current to the inverter to drop to zero and thus no risk of arcing when the d.c. isolator(s) are opened.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Alan.

I hooked it up and it worked.
I used 24 panels in a series parallel combo to get the impedance of the panels (9 ohms each) to match the element resistance (15 ohms).

The arcing of the switch is easily overcome with a capacitor across the contacts, same as we do in ignition systems for cars.

Anyway it didn't take long for the water to heat up, I tweaked it down to 50 degrees temp and it switched off when it got to that temperature.

One could use the thermostat contacts to drive a much sturdier set of contacts to mitigate the problem you describe...or a fuse...

In any event I have decided to go a different way...I am going to use my SMA5000TL inverters from my former residence in off grid mode.

The kind people at SMA give you a passcode to get into the settings to disable the anti-islanding option.

So...my grid inverters from former residence can now act in standalone mode....no need for charge controllers etc.

Of course it requires a controller to fool the GIA's into thinking they are on a grid....and missus will need to do washing etc during the day now...

That's where the Sunny Island unit comes in, it handles multiple grid inverters forming it's own little grid.
This is a SERIOUSLY good bit of gear, I would even consider this in the suburbs to charge batteries off peak for peak use...

It will control power directly to the electric hot water element with parameters like...only when batteries charged...only during certain hours etc etc etc

Decided to go that way to save on building custom stuff...and more stuff

Anyway...convection solar is a dinosaur in my opinion now.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #2614
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
yes but given the angle of the sun it is producing little,........I produced 6 KW's yesterday.

not enough to cover my usage, winter is coming and along with the increase in supply charge and a slightly higher tariff charge I think I will begin to chew into my credit for a while.
I'm just under 17Kw today so far.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #2615
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
are you absolutely sure about that?
Yes.

http://www.energyandresources.vic.go...ng-eligibility

Anything else Z80.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #2616
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

a lot of good info in that link, thanks for that, I will be able to pass on a bit more now.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #2617
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Mines has come good again. After finding the buggered fuse and fixing it $580 power bill, $840 credit. Happy days...............
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #2618
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

We were buuying a place just two months ago and were told completely contradictory advice to yours by both the owner and the real estate agent.
Old 27-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #2619
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Well ..... had the panels installed and turned on pretty much 1st of January this year. Have been waiting for a power bill since then, seeing that one wasn't forthcoming, rang them up to ask whats happening! Got an apology and reveived a bill a few days later ...... finally!!!!!!

Finally received our first power bill since installing the 3kw system. Last bill before solar, $780 with just over 2000kwh. This power bill with a 3kwh system installed (estimated 12-14kwh per day average) ......... $760 with just on 2000kwh used.

Nearly fell over!

Day before solar, 31 cents, day after solar installed 39 cents, rebate from government - 8 cents. On this basis I will pay the system off in 2,324,222,123,232,675,649 years.

Apparently made 512 kwh's rebate of a grand total of $41.00 rebate. Increase in levy for solar .08 cents = $41.00

WTF am I missing here?

Rang them ....... Was told the bill is correct. I said why did I spend 4k on solar for zero savings? She said .... "I dont know why ... at least you are saving the environment!" I said thanks for your help. Hung up, rang again and got someone else who had a 'proper' look and said that it looks very wrong and the code says that I haven't had a reading and was an estimate. She cancelled the bill and now waiting for a reading and another bill.

Sooooooo ........ what am I missing? Did I stuff up and should have not put solar in? I dont expect credit, it is a 12 panel system and over summer it averaged around 12-14 per day. I do expect to be in front a little but am a bit confused at the moment on what is going on and what I should be expecting when I finally, one day, receive the right bill.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #2620
CJR09
RPO 77

were there any extraordinary circumstances with your install? I would have thought that 12/14kw pretty average for a 3kw system in your neck of the woods?

an optimized setup orientation etc should yield closer to 17/18

even so you will be generating close to 55% of consumption yearly average? - biggest factor will be your time of use day/evening/night

clearly the second person you spoke with is correct and first reading was an estimate and you should expect to see difference with actual read - can you take the read yourself and phone it in?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #2621
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I could have if she asked but said they will sort it out very quickly. Worried though its coming into 6 months now and no bill this year .... apart from this one which was cancelled.

The estimate I put up was a very rough guess. I was getting 18kwh per day often but some were lower and just estimated a conservative average for the 4 months. Could possibly be a higher average.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #2622
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I could have if she asked but said they will sort it out very quickly. Worried though its coming into 6 months now and no bill this year .... apart from this one which was cancelled.

The estimate I put up was a very rough guess. I was getting 18kwh per day often but some were lower and just estimated a conservative average for the 4 months. Could possibly be a higher average.
Doesn't it annoy you that they put the price of power you draw off the grid up by 8c a kw after you put panels on the roof?

It's a big scam.
Old 27-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #2623
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

....... I used the word 'rort' about 14 times to the first lady on the phone. She really had nothing to come back with after a while.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #2624
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Why don't you go and look at your meter and compare it to your bill?
Would quickly prove if the reading is correct, pretty disturbing that's for sure.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #2625
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Is it worth fitting solar before rebates are cancelled ??
For me .. That is..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #2626
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
....... I used the word 'rort' about 14 times to the first lady on the phone. She really had nothing to come back with after a while.
go straight to the ombudsman.
Old 28-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #2627
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds very much like an estimate.....this is one reason why I take my own readings.

your account should be cut in half with the 3 KW solar input, something is very wrong here.

unfortunately we "generators" pay a premium for our input to the grid.

I too would be seeking out a "greater" power.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 28-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #2628
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You need to shop around for the best deal. The best deal I got was from a Tasmanian power company.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #2629
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

WIll start shopping around ...... just sitting here patiently waiting for the bill to arrive

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 28-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #2630
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
WIll start shopping around ...... just sitting here patiently waiting for the bill to arrive
The bill shouldn't be a problem, remember a previous thread, you're a small business owner.

You've got HEAPS of money just lying around
Old 29-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #2631
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with the smart meters in Victoria is that the readings on the meter are different to what’s on the invoice.

All 3 retailers I have worked for receive the readings based on the usage and consumption, not continues meter readings like the old style meters. So when you receive your invoice, all that would be on it is opening read 0 closing read 500kHw. The reason for this is that the distributor no longer reads the meter as a continues reading as most smart meter data is sent to the distributor on a 30 minute basis.

So looking at a smart meter, will not match your invoice.

In Victoria and I’m guessing other states, the problem is that most of the retailer have been around before solar was big and due to this, the software they use to produce invoices, cost massive amounts of money to update for solar.

Also currently a couple of the distributes in Victoria are having massive problems with sending correct readings to retailers. This is causing massive problems with all retailers and delays in sending invoices out.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #2632
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...age%7Chomepage
Old 30-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #2633
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typical Courier Mail - have to log in and probably pay to read the article... :(
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #2634
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Got a question for your solar dudes...
I'm on acreage with 3 phase power and a 3.5kw system with a SMA 5000TL 3 phase invertor.
System works well, I was getting about 22/23 kW a day in summer.
But, as I am in WA on the 8c feed-in tariff, I want an easy way to know when I am not using my produced power (ie exporting to the grid).
As mentioned, I'm on acreage, so my power meter is in a box at the boundary a distance from the house and not easy to check at a glance.
I'd like to have a basic device that at a glance can tell me if I'm exporting (and therefore should be using the dishwasher or washing machine etc)..
I can monitor my SMA with bluetooth but of course this just tells me my production.
Anything out there that is fairly cheap and can do this?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 30-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #2635
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only this http://www.sma-australia.com.au/en_A...ebconnect.html

that I'm aware of, some inverters come out with the necessary software, some didn't.......dont know of anything else.

Old 30-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #2636
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use a 3ph Wattson Meter for just that - it is independent of most things - it has an inductive pickup on each phase and on the solar input line.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #2637
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I use a 3ph Wattson Meter for just that - it is independent of most things - it has an inductive pickup on each phase and on the solar input line.
I was thinking something like this might be the go, do you have any more details on your setup?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 30-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #2638
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The bill shouldn't be a problem, remember a previous thread, you're a small business owner.

You've got HEAPS of money just lying around
Thats right!!! I did it all for charity and for the good of mother earth .......

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #2639
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quick question....
Got two quotes. Same ballpark in price. One is using a Delta inverter the other SMA inverter.

Is one better than the other?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #2640
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Quick question....
Got two quotes. Same ballpark in price. One is using a Delta inverter the other SMA inverter.

Is one better than the other?
I'd go the SMA (and I did with my setup).

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
2 users like this post: