Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #2431
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Thumbs up Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Looks good!
Looks like it's facing your backyard too... at my place, the front faces north, so gonna have to live with solar panels on the front elevation, which isn't going to look too flash.
I've heard of a few folk concerned about the look of solar panels on their roof. In reality I don't look at peoples houses from the roof aspect. Mine's a low set house and I don't notice them (they're at the front but side of my house) - how often do you look at a house's roof?

There's a part of my bus route that starts on a hill and winds down through a rather opulent part of my suburb that smacks of solar panels in multiples of which I could never afford - some of these rooves are literally covered in solar panels and solar hot water. All I can think is "good on ya" - they're living the dream!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 01-01-2014 at 01:02 AM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 AM   #2432
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

I'm seriously looking at this again. Solar cells are becoming more affordable and there are some decent 3-phase inverters out now from Aurora and SMA.
Basically the plan is to have a big enough system to run the aircons during the day without drawing from the grid, then run the pump & bore at night on “smart power” or “power shift.”

I was wondering what panels people have gone with? I have always just assumed that European cells would be better quality, but I'm nolonger sure where some are made? Such as Q.Cells? Are they still made in Germany, or just coming from Hanwha? Sunpower seem to have the best performance guarantee…

And what about inverters? People generally speak highly of Aurora? I think Fronius should also be good? And even though “sunny boy”s sound cheap, they’re made by SMA and should be decent?

I don’t see much benefit in earning the 8.9 cents for feeding back, but even on a straight tariff I’ll be saving 25c by providing my own. If I move to one of the time based tariffs, it will be cheaper at night and I’ll save around 45c in peak times.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #2433
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im using ameri 250w panels and a jfy inverter supplied by eurosolar all good so far.im in credit and these products have good warrantee. mines 4kw cost $7000 at the time much cheaper now.im in sa
Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #2434
CJR09
RPO 77

sma are a good inverter but the Enasolar (website) offerings are better as well as being cheaper to install and you can get extended warranty coverage

stick to your tier 1 panels - mono are all good as are some of the poly's

panasonic/sharp, mitsubishi, renesola, lg etc

you guys are lucky in oz - a 4kW system here in nz would be closer to 10-12k

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #2435
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
With a sky that dark and wet roof ?...........

Must've been one of Melb's rare wet days
Well, yesterday I got 17kwh ..... today I got 2.5kwh. AH Melbourne

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #2436
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post

you guys are lucky in oz - a 4kW system here in nz would be closer to 10-12k
I paid $13,500 plus upgrades to the distribution boxes to the value of another $4,500 (or thereabouts from memory).

That makes my 3.5 kw system around $18,000 at that time. Not counting modifications I had to do to the shed purlins.

However have not paid a bill since install and well into credit, I give it another 2 years and it will have paid for itself.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #2437
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I paid $13,500 plus upgrades to the distribution boxes to the value of another $4,500 (or thereabouts from memory).

That makes my 3.5 kw system around $18,000 at that time. Not counting modifications I had to do to the shed purlins.

However have not paid a bill since install and well into credit, I give it another 2 years and it will have paid for itself.

I am not saying it isn't "worth" it because it entirely IS "worth" it - just saying Australia has a better rebate & FIT system, New Zealand has nothing apart from a miserly $0.08 FIT

As long as you get your economic payback prior to expiry of warranties then you are well and truly ahead

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #2438
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think in the near future, some places it is already here, we will see zero F.I.T., in fact we solar producers will be smacked around the wallet with a "line usage".

Or so I've heard on the gripevine.

Whether or not it is deemed to be worthwhile is in the hands of the individual, all information must be weighed up before a decision can be made.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #2439
burkill89
Starter Motor

yeah love it want more asap
burkill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #2440
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the FIT end in whatever year depending on state etc what will happen the electricity fed back into the system free of charge? Will we all be calling up our electrician to disconnect x number of panels?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #2441
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
I am not saying it isn't "worth" it because it entirely IS "worth" it - just saying Australia has a better rebate & FIT system, New Zealand has nothing apart from a miserly $0.08 FIT

As long as you get your economic payback prior to expiry of warranties then you are well and truly ahead
Most states in Australia have a similar buy back.

Victoria is currently 8 cents FIT and NSW is even lower.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #2442
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most states in Australia have a similar buy back.
Victoria is currently 8 cents FIT and NSW is even lower..

If you shop around you will find some better deals, i am using Click energy and they are paying me 18 cents FIT, still pretty miserable but 10 cents over what the Qld gov is paying..
Cheers
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #2443
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

In SA it's 9c FIT . The govt. rebate of 16c ended in September 13. I'm on 25c FIT till 2016 when the rebate ends for me. And unless the suppliers up the price they'll pay to at least what they pay each other when they buy power then at that time we'll be looking into going off grid completely with batteries and supplementing the solar with wind turbines.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #2444
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 8.9 cents FIT is a TOTAL RIP-OFF.

In WA, metering and "supply" is handled by Western Power. They connect you up and maintain the infrastructure. I have to pay them for the new meter, we pay them a supply charge, and they ultimately approve the feed in system.

In Perth (& SouthWest WA) our provider is Synergy. Businesses over a certain size can choose a different provider, but residential consumers are stuck with Synergy. They slashed the FIT on the gronds that they are only required to reimburse the COST of the power to them. They claim the other 75% of the price is "overheads."
Keep in mind that they don't actually distribute the power, what they mean by "overheads" is administration.
Problem was, under the contracts set up when the system was corporatised, Verve Energy (who do most of the generating) went bankrupt, meaning that they couldn't make a quid at 8c cents a kwh.
The government's great solution? Re-merging Verve & Synergy. So synergy now gets to set its own wholesale price, and can effectively cover-up the fact that it is too low.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #2445
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I received a letter from Origin (our electricity provider) to say that our FIT is being reduced by 2.2c/kWh, down to 23.6c/kWh. This is effective 13th Jan.
Thank you essential services commission of south Australia for lowering the minimum feed in tariff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #2446
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try agl no reduction yet + discount on what you buy
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #2447
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
When the FIT end in whatever year depending on state etc what will happen the electricity fed back into the system free of charge? Will we all be calling up our electrician to disconnect x number of panels?
i know it would be too hard to organise, but it would be good if solar customers could arrange a mass shut down of their systems for a day/week or so. supplying your neighbors with power and getting sweet.... for it, is a joke and the govt just sits on its hands as usual.

its a mystery why solar isn't encouraged rather than penalised. from the very start, they should have taken the dollar value out of the equation and had a unit for unit type rebate. for every kw/h you pump in to the grid, you get a kw/h free.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #2448
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
its a mystery why solar isn't encouraged rather than penalised. from the very start, they should have taken the dollar value out of the equation and had a unit for unit type rebate. for every kw/h you pump in to the grid, you get a kw/h free.
Agreed Rob, I often wonder why the 'save the gay whale tree hugging' greenies haven't pushed for it, after all for every solar house out there it's a little bit less coming from power stations.

It wouldn't be because State Governments get a large percentage of the energy income though would it ?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #2449
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It wouldn't be because State Governments get a large percentage of the energy income though would it ?
ahh, if only it wasn't that transparent!

why is it that every scheme with some sort of govt rebate attached ends up going pear shaped??

lpg, rain water tanks, insulation, solar......
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #2450
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
try agl no reduction yet + discount on what you buy
Give them time...

I get a 12% "discount" from Origin on the plan I'm on.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #2451
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed Rob, I often wonder why the 'save the gay whale tree hugging' greenies haven't pushed for it,
Because usually they are too busy pushing their other loopy left-wing agendas. They actually don't like schemes that benefit capitalist pigs who own private property.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #2452
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
So guys, I'm very new to solar power, but looking to go solar on our house when we move back to Perth early next year.
We've got an average size house with fully ducted reverse cycle Airconditioning; what size system should I be looking at? 3kw?
About how many sqm of panel surface is that?
What budget should I allow?
Any recommendations for suppliers/installers here in Perth please?
Cheers.

hey Joe
we will have a beer and i can tell you all about my solar
is it worth it ..the million $ question???
for me i don't believe it is because of our crap WA synergy buy back of 8.8c for every unit you export back to them , then they sell it back to you at full price
eg look at my last bill i posted on here
exported 861units = a whole $76.22 credit
i used 251units
total bill = $15.15 WTF

251units = $59.11
the supply charge is $23.96 haha nearly cost more for that than what i used oh then the $8.31 for gst

bloody crap

i have worked it out and it will take me approx 7 years to pay for the system and by that time solar technology would have come along way

you being that the mrs will be home with the little fella it maybe worth getting it as thats when you save now (during the day you use the power you make instead of exporting it)
but if its me i would just get the biggest system we can get (5kw) and put that on, over kill yes but hey cover you usuage and export some to get as much of that 8.8c we get back for every unit

its such a rort .. think of all those houses out there with solar exporting back into the grid and synergy only paying 8.8c for it and then selling the power that didnt cost them anything to produce back to us for at 23c unit making a good profit but the state gov still saying they need to raise the price of power even though they are making a killing
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip

Last edited by comagutsa; 05-01-2014 at 11:43 AM.
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #2453
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's getting to the point where it's better to invest in a stand alone system with batteries, and run a generator for those times when you get extended overcast periods. Either that or supplement the solar with wind turbines.

I reckon a 5kw system with a couple of 1kw wind turbines and battery storage for say 48hrs worth of power, will be enough to keep the average household going indefinitely as long as you're not stupid and use high drawing item all the time like bar heaters and clothes dryers. A well insulated and energy efficient home should ***** it in.

In our house, were gearing ourselves towards that end. LED lighting, plenty of skylights and light tubes, the most energy efficient appliances we can get as they need updating etc.. Next on the list is solar hot water then a decent modern combustion heater for winter. For heavy power draw items that are used periodically and for worst case scenario events I'll be getting a small gen set, maybe 3kw max.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #2454
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i know it would be too hard to organise, but it would be good if solar customers could arrange a mass shut down of their systems for a day/week or so. supplying your neighbors with power and getting sweet.... for it, is a joke and the govt just sits on its hands as usual.

Maybe because it is actually costing more than it is worth. In some areas where residences have taken up solar in a big way, energy companies have had to install extra transformers to spike the extra power to earth. It also doesn't stop the fact that each household needs the same amount of money spent on the "grid" for maintenance and upgrades. It also hasn't allowed energy companies to wind down generators to burn less coal.

Until a cost effective way to store solar is found, it will just be hot air for making power outside of the peak power times.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #2455
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
It's getting to the point where it's better to invest in a stand alone system with batteries, and run a generator for those times when you get extended overcast periods. Either that or supplement the solar with wind turbines.

I reckon a 5kw system with a couple of 1kw wind turbines and battery storage for say 48hrs worth of power, will be enough to keep the average household going indefinitely as long as you're not stupid and use high drawing item all the time like bar heaters and clothes dryers. A well insulated and energy efficient home should ***** it in.

In our house, were gearing ourselves towards that end. LED lighting, plenty of skylights and light tubes, the most energy efficient appliances we can get as they need updating etc.. Next on the list is solar hot water then a decent modern combustion heater for winter. For heavy power draw items that are used periodically and for worst case scenario events I'll be getting a small gen set, maybe 3kw max.

Bushbasher

The reason nobody does this, is the massive space taken up by the batteries. It is also a $30,000 plus cost, with the batteries needed replacing about every 5 years. It is not worth it.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #2456
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I met a bloke in the middle of Adelaide who was off grid and he was using reconditioned electric forklift batteries as storage. He was running 3 of them and had one as a back up in the rotation so periodically he could get them reconditioned. It was much cheaper and took up a lot less space than a big a$$ bank of deep cycle batteries in racks that take up an entire room.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #2457
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A decent standalone system is down to the low $20s now!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #2458
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
The reason nobody does this, is the massive space taken up by the batteries. It is also a $30,000 plus cost, with the batteries needed replacing about every 5 years. It is not worth it.
Yet...
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #2459
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
A decent standalone system is down to the low $20s now!
a decent system can be done for less than that.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #2460
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Latest bill $25 credit pretty good for North QLD pool use was up due to needing chlorinator cell replaced . Next bill wont be as good with the heat and air conditioning use
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post