Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #211
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Apparently it's not available in Australia yet.
Handcent SMS seems to be good though.
Use the normal application for texting and Handcent for picture messaging
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #212
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the update! It doesnt work via the phone so i updated via the kies application. Took some stuffing around though!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #213
Lawwa
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni View Post
I know that you can use other SMS applications which helps me send and receive better quality picture messages.
You could also try Whatsapp. The pics come through great on there - very clear and can be enlarged without sacrificing quality. Like Viber, it also allows international texting at no charge

"Passes everything but petrol stations!!"
Lawwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #214
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
Got the update! It doesnt work via the phone so i updated via the kies application. Took some stuffing around though!
Kies can be a right pain sometimes. I tried to do a data backup via Kies a while ago and it wouldn't work so I uninstalled the program then reinstalled, and the backup worked.

Was reading about the 4.1.2 Aus update today on androidcentral and ausdroid. Hopefully the update for the branded carriers aren't too far away!

4.1.2 is a great upgrade for this phone. You get:
- Premium Suite
- Fix for the Exynos exploit
- Fingers crossed, but so far, it looks like a fix for the 'sudden-death' issue that people have mentioned in this thread and other forums.

Sorry for all the hyperlinks above
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #215
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Regarding my SIII, it is due back this week, I now have a case manager at telstra, because I am pretty angry that I am paying for a 3G when I ordered the 4G plan, at the time the ad was for $80pm with a 16gb sIII 4G phone, which is what I ordered. My invoice said 3G and when I queried I was told it was just a generic print out. But obviously now it has been off for repairs etc, I find out it is 3G model, I am trying to get my contract cancelled on the basis I have been paying for the wrong product. We will see if I get anywhere. I am always polite and treat them how I expect to be treated, so hopefully this is sorted in a timely fashion that works for both parties.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #216
LightingBA

Unhappy Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Chalk another one up for the "sudden death issue". plugged in the charger and dead. This s3 seems like its gonna be as bad as my old s2.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #217
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am not sure if it is PCB or software issues as when I enquired as to what repairs had been done to mine, the bloke said there was nothing on the invoice except software update, phone working fine.
Old 27-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #218
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spudz27 if it goes like everyone I knows plan stuff ups you will end up out of contract within free phone as a good will gesture.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #219
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone else had issues with rubbish signal? I've got a galaxy S3 4g and am mainly around the Perth metro area and am always struggling with signal strength. Was in subiaco the other day and every 3 - 5 seconds it'd cycle between 4g - 3G - H+ and sometimes even E.
While in Port Macquarie at Christmas I had no signal at my brothers house, but everyone with iPhones on Optus also had 2 - 3 bars of 3G. I put my SIM card in my old 4s and sure enough, had 2 - 3 bars of 3G.

Love the phone, but the fact that its constantly dropping calls and struggling to get reception almost has me ready to ditch it and go back to apple. My battery struggles to last more than 8 hours also with all the network switching / fighting for signal.

Anyone got any ideas?
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #220
Spudz27
Call me Spud

schmidty, my sister has the iphone 4G and she complains about signal loss whenever she moves from a 4G tower to a 3G one. So I think it will be an issue until such time as 4G is everywhere.
Old 28-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #221
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Mine is terrible.
Freezes, turns itself off.
Hate the thing but it cost heaps.
Was sold as new, but clearly wasn't by a dodgy seller.

I have heard that the white ones have more issues, however that sounds suss to me.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #222
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White ones are 3g only. Why they have sudden death issues who knows? Pretty sure you can't get a white 4g one.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #223
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty View Post
Has anyone else had issues with rubbish signal?
Anyone got any ideas?
One thing that comes to mind that you might want to check:
Settings, About device, Status, Network; is it showing that you are connected to your Carrier and not another network provider?

Only asking because a few weeks back, I was playing around in the Mobile networks settings and managed to get my phone to connect to Vodafone even though they are not my provider (my carrier piggy-backs off Vodafone cell towers). The result was terrible signal and dropped calls.
Old 28-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #224
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx View Post
White ones are 3g only. Why they have sudden death issues who knows? Pretty sure you can't get a white 4g one.

If that is true it would explain my issue. I was told when I asked for blue "sorry we only have white left" maybe they did not realize that white was 3G. I dunno either way I want it sorted out.
Old 28-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #225
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
If that is true it would explain my issue. I was told when I asked for blue "sorry we only have white left" maybe they did not realize that white was 3G. I dunno either way I want it sorted out.
Seeing as you're talking Telstra. White or Blue are 3G, Black or Grey are 4G.

Just so you know if you organise a replacement 4G one.
Old 28-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #226
b2tf
not here much anymore

Got my S3 this week, 4G Titanium one. Went with it because I will be using it to run my business and also use it as a WAP for a tablet when I get one.

So far so good, I had an S1 and liked it but it was getting old and playing up so I whinged to Virgin and ended up getting a free upgrade to the S3. Catch was yes I did go to a bigger plan but it will be better for my business anyway.

See how it goes I guess?
Old 28-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #227
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
Mine is terrible.
Freezes, turns itself off.
Have you tried doing a Factory data reset on your phone? Either way, the symptoms aren't good and I would suggest you have your important data backed up in case of total failure.
Old 28-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #228
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
Have you tried doing a Factory data reset on your phone? Either way, the symptoms aren't good and I would suggest you have your important data backed up in case of total failure.
Did that after 1 day of owning it. I am trying to track down the person who sold it as new-to turn it from white to brown.
Old 28-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #229
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I was looking at a getting an S3 but am getting worried now hearing about all the issues. Has most of the stuff been fixed now?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #230
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I haven't heard bad about the 4G
Old 29-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #231
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
One thing that comes to mind that you might want to check:
Settings, About device, Status, Network; is it showing that you are connected to your Carrier and not another network provider?

Only asking because a few weeks back, I was playing around in the Mobile networks settings and managed to get my phone to connect to Vodafone even though they are not my provider (my carrier piggy-backs off Vodafone cell towers). The result was terrible signal and dropped calls.
Yeah just checked and its set to the correct carrier. The missus iphone is about 2m from mine and she's got 3 bars of 3G and I've only got 2 bars of hspda. When I'm in a good area (like standing next to a tower ) the S3 4G is lightning fast. Fastest download I've seen was 53mbps and upload about 19mbps.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #232
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Release day white S3 and no issues to date.
They didnt have Pebble blue as none were shipped at that stage lol
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #233
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I was looking at a getting an S3 but am getting worried now hearing about all the issues. Has most of the stuff been fixed now?
Re: sudden death issue - who knows because there has been no Official statement from Samsung. Know one knows what the percentage of failed phones are too; 30-40 million S3's sold / failed phone = ?

My understanding regarding sudden death is:

I9300(T) 16gb
- 3-6 months old there are reports of failure/bricked phone
- If your phone has been repaired, you probably are safe now
- 4.1.2 release apparently has a fix for sudden death. One problem here is that if your phone already has some sort of wear on the chip, then 4.1.2 potentially might not solve a failure.
- If you buy a 'new' phone today, you probably have the fix

I9300(T) 32gb
- no major issues that I've read

I9305(T) 16/32gb
- no major issues that I've read

I have I9300 16gb bought in June and it hasn't missed a beat so far. It has been a great phone for me so far. If my phone dies I still have warranty.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #234
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

My Samsung 4G has just fried my mini SD memory card. What's annoying is my 7" Galaxy tab has fried the mini SD in that too. Anyone else has experience with this or can suggest a way of getting the contents on the SD card back? There's photos on there I want! My laptop no longer recognises either card.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #235
I reckon
Banned

Anyone know how to change settings on these phones to view the mms pics on the screen in full size straight from opening them ? Not saving them then Opening them in gallery ?
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #236
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Well I had an S1 and it was okay, but the keyboard was laggy and i had the odd spontaneous reboot. I also had a battery die on me after 20 mths.

Bort my first ever iphone in Nov last year - very happy (on Telstra too, it screams!). The iphone5 is indeed a polished product and so simple to use. Very light as well. Im now an Apple preferer (rather than fanboy). I admire the user interface and they will keep my business if they keep putting out good stuff.

Last edited by turbodewd; 29-01-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #237
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
Well I had an S1 and it was okay, but the keyboard was laggy and i had the odd spontaneous reboot. I also had a battery die on me after 20 mths.

Bort my first ever iphone in Nov last year - very happy (on Telstra too, it screams!). The iphone5 is indeed a polished product and so simple to use. Very light as well. Im now an Apple preferer (rather than fanboy). I admire the user interface and they will keep my business if they keep putting out good stuff.
Get out....

The girlfriends 3g hasnt missed a beat but my bosses 4g has had the mobo replaced... And its all good now.

Never heard of sd cards being killed except when deleting items off via a pc instead of the phone, but again, a rare occurance.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #238
Graemeb
Starter Motor

Just got one! very happy with it ill never go back to APPLE now..
with telstra 4g soo fast!!
Graemeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #239
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
Anyone know how to change settings on these phones to view the mms pics on the screen in full size straight from opening them ? Not saving them then Opening them in gallery ?
I guess not
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #240
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wife and i just got one each so far very happy. now just have to learn how to drive it!