Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #211
BroadyFord

Default Re: 'Major announcement' from Toyota this afternoon

Article I just came across, which accurately outlines how the unions destroyed Toyota.

Quote:
Australian workplace culture partly to blame for Toyota's exit

http://www.theage.com.au/business/co...211-32djv.html

The Australian car-making industry might be on its knees, but Toyota's manufacturing enterprise agreement was still scheduled to deliver two pay rises totalling 5.5 per cent this year.

To cover the $17 million cost of the pay increases, Toyota put a proposal to its manufacturing workers late last year to cut back the three-week compulsory Christmas shutdown, cut down on long weekend sickies and blood-bank rorts, excessive overtime, and shift loadings.

Ford had signalled it would pull out of local production in 2016, and General Motors-Holden was girding its loins for a similar announcement. Local production of Toyota's next generation Camry – and its larger Aurion spinoff – was up for grabs after the current model ran out in 2017. Toyota Motor Corp was due to make the crucial decision this year.

In the circumstances, you'd think the Toyota workers and the Australian Manufacturing Workers' Union would play ball. But instead, the union orchestrated a Federal Court challenge by a handful of shop stewards to prevent Toyota putting the changes to its workers for a vote, citing a "no extra claims" clause in the enterprise agreement.

Justice Mordy Bromberg agreed. He said the company would first have to call a vote to waive the "no extra claims" clause. If they voted in favour of that, it could then put the other changes to a vote. The two-step process would take until well into the new year.

To say that Toyota was dismayed would be an understatement.
By this time – December – two-thirds of the industry had announced it was pulling out, citing the excessive costs of producing cars in Australia. Both Toyota and Holden had argued that it cost about $3800 more to build a car here than it did in alternative plants. About half of that cost was labour, Holden indicated to the Productivity Commission.

Barriers to success

Here was Toyota trying to close a small slice of that gap, with the clock ticking on the fate of local production, and a Federal Court judge was telling the company that it couldn’t put the deal to a vote without first asking the workers to vote out the “no extra claims” clause.

Australia’s arcane and combative industrial relations culture was not the only reason for Toyota’s decision. As the Productivity Commission made clear in its position paper, the country’s tiny market couldn’t sustain competitive production of commodity autos, and was being monstered by the explosion of Asian auto production in the past decade.

But the culture of the workplace was clearly a material reason for the company’s decision to pull out in 2017.

Max Yasuda, Toyota Australia president, had signalled that the giant auto maker was losing patience with Aussie workplace culture in an exclusive interview with this newspaper two years ago. “If you don’t work on Friday, it is a long weekend right? In this country, and in our plant, they just don’t come in and later on they ask for sick leave,” he said.

Months later, Toyota tapped 350 workers for redundancy based on individual ratings of their attendance and workperformance records – an unusually aggressive approach in unionised workplaces in Australia.

The previous year it had been embroiled in a bruising industrial battle with the AMWU over the enterprise agreement. Australian car making was already in trouble, with a soaring dollar and massive global overcapacity in the wake of the global financial crisis. Yet Toyota’s workers went on strike for five days and banned overtime to secure the deal which tripped Toyota up in court and which will give them two pay rises this year – even as the company prepares to pull out.

AMWU vehicle division chief Dave Smith made it clear the union was punishing Toyota for being less willing to sit down and negotiate with its reps as “equals”, as it said Holden had done. The union may now be regretting that decision, although Holden’s experience suggests it may not have made any difference in the long run.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #212
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I don't like the actions of the unions. I think they have become the scape goat so there is someone to blame. It really came down to a choice of making cars here for some profit or make them in another country and lots of profit.

What do companies want? If there is a way of making bigger profit then they willl take it.

Unions greedy? Companies greedy? Not that much difference?

Look at all those poor people killed in a building making clothes. Exploited by western big corporations.
Who has the real power?
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #213
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
While I don't like the actions of the unions. I think they have become the scape goat so there is someone to blame. It really came down to a choice of making cars here for some profit or make them in another country and lots of profit.
None of the manufacturers were making a profit off the cars they were making here.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #214
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course any company intending to leave Australia will say they are making no profits. If workers were paid $20 an hour would that have saved the Australian car industry? I don't think so.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 AM   #215
BHDOGS
Banned

Haha yeh no profits at all thats why they stayed here for so long a good tax write off if they wanted to they could of made it look like they were making billions in oz i take company "profits/loss" with a grain of salt considering how slippy there tax accountants can be.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #216
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
Of course any company intending to leave Australia will say they are making no profits.
You're right. They aren't declaring the cars bought by dealers for cash, and funneling all that money to the Illuminati to help fund the New World Order ....
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #217
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Governments are not responsible for private enterprise companies and the decisions they make. In the end the public didn't buy enough Australian made cars to sustain the industry. When any company stops making a profit or certain return on investment its reason for existing ceases and the Capital gets invested elsewhere.
Have a look around the world. Other countries support their private enterprise because it keeps their country and population working and prosperous.

Lots of bad decisions everywhere, but former PMs should not be drawing any salary at all. Too much money flowing around to the wrong hands and it's sad to see Australia getting worse and worse due to the fools who made the wrong decisions.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #218
xrystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
During the Productivity Commission hearing phase Holden made a submission and said that on average, there was $15,400 worth of parts and materials in each car they made.

I can't remember whether they said there was $3,800 worth of labor costs in each car, or that it cost $3,800 more than a plant elsewhere to make the same car, but if you add it up the margins do seem to get smaller and smaller.
I did read some of the report that was in the media , pretty sure that the cost included their labour and that the cost of the same product from an Asian manufacturer would be $3800 less than locally manufactured , that is a huge amount that probably could never be overcome given the conditions of building a vehicle in Australia are pretty well set in concrete .
Australians are now fortunate to have a huge choice of manufacturers to choose from and our population is so diverse that buying what your parents bought (car wise) is mostly anything except Ford or Holden - loyalty to a car manufacturer is foolhardy as you gain nothing from it and often buy something that doesn't suit your requirements just to satisfy that loyalty.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #219
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2...allarat/?cs=62
Now the little blokes............
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2...stralia/?cs=12
Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #220
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I'm not seeing the hypocrisy, some peoples would view the CX9 as a better vehicle.
As to whether the CX9 is better or not, that is subjective and I agree how many could see it as their preferred choice. This is not about which is better. This is about someone who has voted with their feet and bought an import who now is having a go at ford not marketing the territory well which is apparent to him the reason behind Ford folding in Australia. I will say this again. If you haven't bought local, don't say that its a shame cause you had the choice over the years to support the local cars and chose not to.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #221
prydey
Rob

to those claiming the consumer is to blame,
perhaps you could explain why it is there is so much choice in the australian market?.
perhaps you could explain why that choice has pretty much priced anything local out of the market?
perhaps you could explain how such a fragmented market could still sustain 3 manufacturers even if they did fill the top 3 sales spots each month?

to maintain the necessary volume, they would need to sell more than double what the best selling car is currently selling. it just isn't going to happen.

blaming the consumer is a cop out.

dropping tariffs ensured australia became a dumping ground for the worlds auto makers.

free trade agreements just put extra nails (possibly final nails) in the coffin. this is the result of a downhill that started a long time ago, so pointing the finger at the person who is left standing when the music stops is a bit naive.

govt policies (state and federal) also affected the sales of local products when they started listening to minority groups that largely don't care about 'the people', but rather think they are doing some sort of good that gives them a warm fuzzy feeling.

australias electricity costs are now amongst the dearest in the world.

after all 3 manufaturers close up, all citing high costs, low volume and lack of protection, people still try to point the fingers elsewhere.

the fact is, australia made large cars, and suv, a small car and a hybrid and yet all 3 are still going. i don't think the type of car plays that big a role. 1 million buyers a year is a very small market to try to support manufacturing in your own country, esp when the head office has other manufacturing plants all around the world that are much better protected by their govts.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #222
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
perhaps you could explain why it is there is so much choice in the australian market?.
perhaps you could explain why that choice has pretty much priced anything local out of the market?
perhaps you could explain how such a fragmented market could still sustain 3 manufacturers even if they did fill the top 3 sales spots each month?

to maintain the necessary volume, they would need to sell more than double what the best selling car is currently selling. it just isn't going to happen.

dropping tariffs ensured australia became a dumping ground for the worlds auto makers.

free trade agreements just put extra nails (possibly final nails) in the coffin. this is the result of a downhill that started a long time ago, so pointing the finger at the person who is left standing when the music stops is a bit naive.

govt policies (state and federal) also affected the sales of local products when they started listening to minority groups that largely don't care about 'the people', but rather think they are doing some sort of good that gives them a warm fuzzy feeling.

after all 3 manufaturers close up, all citing high costs, low volume and lack of protection, people still try to point the fingers elsewhere.

the fact is, australia made large cars, and suv, a small car and a hybrid and yet all 3 are still going. i don't think the type of car plays that big a role. 1 million buyers a year is a very small market to try to support manufacturing in your own country, esp when the head office has other manufacturing plants all around the world that are much better protected by their govts.
All very true reasons there Prydey.

I haven't really followed this thread, mainly because most of us knew a long time ago that once one manufacturer pulls out, the other two would follow shortly after.

And the reasons why, has already been discussed many times over in AFF, which Prydey has patiently pointed out again.

So, even though its very disappointing, there's nothing surprising at all with Toyotas announcement.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #223
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Euro's overpriced ?

Nope look at a new Skoda, Renault, or Peugeot for starters.

Don't only look at BMW or Mercedes to support your argument.
I didn't. I also think Peugeot and Renault are overpriced. Skoda are irrelevant.

Everyone knows Euros are overpriced (especially when optioned up to the level they should be) in Aust compared to most other markets, it's surprising you haven't heard of this before.....
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #224
gtfpv
GT

well i'm keeping my head down . work while i can and the lush days are over . i have a pretty secure job . not gauranteed but secure . i'm paying off my mortgage only now , as most of my friends have decided too , the others are taking punts and borrowing up big while it lasts .
i'm almost ready to admit the fight is over . the younger generation will have to deal with this one . AUSTRALIA has become a holiday resort for the rich , the rich can do business anywhere in the world and live here . the rest of us well i'm not sure how they intend to keep us going .
It's becoming a trend to sell out australia , to move your business away , the roll on effect will continue , people have lost faith in australia , have lost any intention to make it a better place . the top end corperations want the $$$ elswhere , and personal wealth . i guess theres not much more to say .
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #225
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

I disagree that the consumer isn't to blame - partially
If you look at the US and the choice of cars they have on the market, American cars are still selling and in big numbers

Try selling a Toyota in Korea they won't buy them

Australians don't give a dam about buying australian
Sure there were other forces that played a roll in the demise of the car manufacturing industry but we didn't help when we could have

As I have already posted we did not back our own product
5 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #226
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
If you look at the US and the choice of cars they have on the market, American cars are still selling and in big numbers

Sure there were other forces that played a roll in the demise of the car manufacturing industry but we didn't help when we could have

Agree.

When I was in France, most of the cars are Peugeot, Citroen, Renault. In the UK, you can't give away a Mazda 3. You're right we are so different as a country and in what we choose to support. Its not about blue vs red here. Its about do we as a nation back the stuff our locals produce. There is an obvious answer to that.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #227
prydey
Rob

Quote:

How can you compare countries that have numerous brands and numerous models per brand, to what we have here in Australia? We have 4 - 5 models. At least 3 of them in a segment that has tanked. Do you really expect everyone to choose between 5 cars? Seriously?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #228
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

A check the list of top selling cars in Seppoland in 2013 you get....
http://www.examiner.com/article/amer...hicles-of-2013

1 and 2 Ford and Chev pickups.
3 Camry
4 Honda
5 Chrysler
6 Honda
7 Nissan
8-9-10 Ford, Toyota, Honda.

Not exactly supporting supporting the home product, but then they have a population of about 314 million. Not 22 million like us.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #229
nstg8a

That's just it, the American market is so big, that a model that barely rates in the top ten still has large enough volumes to make it worthwhile to manufacture.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #230
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia has more brands and models than the US I think you'll find.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #231
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take the 25% Tariff away and lets see how the pickups fare.
That is where most of their profit comes from.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #232
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Australia has more brands and models than the US I think you'll find.
Anything to prove that? I am a little skeptical of that comment.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #233
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Anything to prove that? I am a little skeptical of that comment.
it in here, as everything you may want to know..

http://www.holden.com.au/resources/d...eport_2012.pdf
Old 13-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #234
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
it in here, as everything you may want to know..

http://www.holden.com.au/resources/d...eport_2012.pdf
May be it is I am just so tired right now but I couldn't find anything in that document that proves Australia's vehicle market offers more brands and models that the US.
Old 13-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #235
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels mag had an article on it a few months ago, next time I go to the shitter ill take a bunch with me and see if I can find it.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 13-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #236
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We might get these Camry's ??
http://www.toyota.com/camry/features...2532/2546/2540
Old 13-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #237
robertjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Looking further down did you see the Avalon, will they try and resurect the ads for one if they do? :
Old 13-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #238
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

'Mooching' car makers should pay back government subsidies: MP
(with thanks to Latika Bourke & ABC)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-1...sidies/5255944

A Federal Government MP has lashed out at the car makers abandoning the country, accusing them of not giving a stuff about their workers or the country, and "mooching off" taxpayers for years only to "cut and run when the going got tough".

LNP MP George Christensen says the companies should repay whatever taxpayer subsidies they have received in the past few years, now they are departing.

Toyota's announcement this week that it would be closing down its Australian operations in 2017 marked the death of the local car industry.

It followed last year's announcements by Holden and Ford to pull out of Australia.

Mr Christensen says his own Government has been treating the heavily subsidised industry with "kid gloves" and needs to toughen up, and demand compensation from the car makers.

"There's been some kid gloves put on the car industry but I've got to say, I'm not a fan of what they've done," Mr Christensen told the ABC.

"They have been almost a parasitic industry on the taxpayer and when the going has got tough they've cut and run.

Video: George Christensen speaks with Latika Bourke (ABC News)
"The Labor Party is blaming the Government but who's pointed the finger at the car industry and said, 'you guys have mooched off the taxpayer with corporate welfare for so long but when the going got tough, you've cut and run and you've left so many workers in the lurch'."

Mr Christensen says the car makers should consider giving back the unspent subsidies they have received.

"General Motors, Ford, Toyota have all got a lot to answer for," he said.

"Anything that's been handed to them over the last three to five years probably should come back to the taxpayers."

But he conceded it would be unlikely the car makers would return any funds to taxpayers because they "don't give a stuff" about Australia.

"That's why they're leaving, that's why they're heading to overseas markets where the labour rates are substantially lower," he said.

"They've done this country no favours, all they've done is take our money – pay it back.

"They knew that sooner or later they were going to be leaving and they still had their hand out for taxpayer dollars, that's not right."

Mr Christensen agreed remaining tariffs on imported cars should be removed now there was no local industry to protect, but said they should stay in place until the last Australian car had been built.

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 13-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #239
prydey
Rob

do these clowns in parliament stop to think about the revenue brought in compared to the subsidies given?? the govt is well in front. how do these numpties even get in to the positions they do.

every worker there also pays tax. there's a lot less income tax the govt will be getting in the coming years. well thought out mr christenson.
Old 13-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #240
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
May be it is I am just so tired right now but I couldn't find anything in that document that proves Australia's vehicle market offers more brands and models that the US.
i believe it is actually true, although most mainstream marques are shared, and the US even has some that australia doesn't, however i believe overall australia has the most marques and models available compared to US.
Closed Thread